Pick #69, Tyler Lockett, WR/KR/Gunner, KSU

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
The parts in this thread about being worried about Lockett struggling vs the press against bigger, physical DBs are valid.

But if Lockett has that overwhelming competitive fire to succeed much like Doug Baldwin's, he's going to learn real fast how to match physicality and counter press coverages because he will be practicing against the most physical secondary in the league. And that will strengthen that weakness moving forward.

netskier

Reaction score
Agreed, and I think that he does.

Plus, he prospered against postseason NCAA press coverage last year. He was quoted as saying something like press coverage is all that he knows recently, and that stand off NFL coverage will be new to him. His college coach said "I dare anyone to try press covering him."

Kick returners are famously elusive, and these skills should transfer strongly to eluding press coverage.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
In all the tape that you all have shown, I have only seen where he went backwards one yard and then gained about 10 off that. That is where we miss tater the most. He would lose yardage and not recover. But I am seeing it through Seahawk Glasses too....

Carry on.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
chris98251":9nr8glsr said:
Maybe more like Cobb in GB?
This is What I'm thinking, he just might into our version of Randall Cobb.. Who can play all WR position as we as a returner. Cobb weighs roughly 10 pounds more Lockett, they are the same height.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":cvuqms7c said:
DJrmb":cvuqms7c said:
I don't understand people that say Lockett is not similar to Golden Tate at all. An exact clone? No. Of course they are going to be their own players, no two people are exactly alike but Lockett to me is a tiny bit less physical (but still physical), and more polished version of Golden Tate.

raV_OsL5psjRtyr0Zv76V1_YMKq9On--qyMySE8XRcy4MTIEk4oGLbv9Oiscn6q4ombYYvFLGiHWwQa7ZaJUFvgJ6uU0QCLJTEL_YdFdp4LxF0XrzAqd1tQxF9WHzE3xEw

Does Lockett not remind you of Tate in the clip above, at least a little bit?

ItIcRLQ2gDDu3

Also Lockett is a lot more physical a player than he gets credit for. Again, not as physical as Golden Tate, but he won a good amount of jump-balls and contested catches in college and doesn't go down as easily as a lot of receivers. He's said he loves to block and get physical in the run game, and he's also a gunner on punts.
Again, that is just ONE clip. You can't just use one clip and then make broad statements. Yes, he does look similar to Tate there, but most of the time they look like completely different receivers. Tate is slower, and more stiff, and he's also much more physical and in your face. Lockett is more of a finesse receiver that relies on good technique and route running. Tate throws around his body more than Lockett, and he almost looks a bit like Marshawn Lynch when he's going for more yards.

I don't see that comparison at all. Height is the only comparison that I see between the two. He's more like Doug Baldwin than Tate.

To be fair your statements might be even more bold and you haven't posted any clips.

As for disqualifying because he hasn't gone up against NFL proven DB's then is it safe to assume you have never liked any receiver coming out of college? They can only go against what is put in front of them. The goal is to excel against that coverage. You could make the same style argument coming out of high school. Ultimately he has so far stepped up end excelled at every level he has played and against some of colleges best competition.

I do agree with you that the Tate comparison is a poor one. The two are opposite on some things like how polished each was coming out of college and the work ethic each brought with them. Tate is really a freak physically but unfortunately for us he admittedly leaned on the talent to get him to the NFL but once he was here his talent wasn't enough to carry him and so we got to see several years of wasted talent. Even in his last year he was very hot and cold. Some great flashes but horribly inconsistent.

I noticed your breakdown is heavily biased on talent and seems to completely ignore work ethic, football intelligence and will power. The great ones got there with all those things and it took all those to achieve it. Guys with talent but lack work ethic or commitment are much easier to find. Tate really is a freak talent wise. His balance and power are at elite levels and that has enabled him to acclimate to the NFL while he learned the game but I doubt when Tate's career is over it will be anything special because as his physical ability degrades his work ethic (while not poor) will not be enough to keep him at elite levels.

Lockette has accomplished what he has so far directly due to his work ethic, commitment and football IQ. I see no reason to believe any of that will suddenly change. Don't bet me wrong. Of course he has talent but it is everything else that enables that talent to be at the level it is. Imagine Tate with those intangibles. With his freak athletic ability we would probably be talking about him as one of the best in the league.

We gave an 8th round draft pick (IIRC) for Steve Largent and that was in a trade, after he was already in the NFL. You can bet he had his detractors and reasons for some to believe he couldn't make it in the NFL. It was his work ethic, intelligence and will power that made him what he was.

Sac

Reaction score
Tate never got open as easy as it seems Lockett does. His route running is...it's filthy.

lsheldon

Reaction score
From Bleacher Report article: NFL Rookies Who Are Matchup Nightmares

Speed from the slot creates some of the toughest matchups for NFL defensive backs—and Lockett has plenty of it. This will allow the Seahawks and offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell to threaten the seams while also getting the ball to Lockett inside of the numbers, where he can beat a nickel corner with his quicks to separate at the break point.

Along with the return ability he brings to Seattle, Lockett provides Wilson with a target who can win from the slot, produce after the catch and also make plays on third downs running the base-option routes. Those are high-percentage throws for Wilson in crucial down-and-distance situations where the matchup is the key.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/nfl ... 9Yj#page=5

peppersjap

Reaction score
It was a very funny start to the thread. Lockett does not remind me of Tate at all. Lockett has more explosiveness and great instincts. Tate had the great instincts too which was what made him good and he had some great returns but he was more about a good average per return, Lockett is a threat to go to the house every time and he has also impressed me as a receiving threat. I don't get even comparing the 2 guys, both very good punt returners but Lockett returns kicks too. Golden Tate is not even a returner on his current team, I would be shocked if there was any team in the league who didn't make Lockett there number 1 guy. That being said, I miss Tate as a player!

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
After 3 preseason games:

Seahawks total team offensive production:
630-total yards, 210.0-yds per game, 2-TD's.

Tyler Lockett total production:
419-total yards 139.6-yds per game, 2-TD's. (37.4-yd avg. on 7 KO ret. --- 26.3-yd avg. on 4 punt ret.)

We got a keeper!!!!!

JAGHAWK

Reaction score
Lockett is the shining beacon of the preseason. I look forward to what he will do during the regular/post-season. :D

Exittium

Reaction score
JAGHAWK":2e4ugp5n said:
Lockett is the shining beacon of the preseason. I look forward to what he will do during the regular/post-season. :D

Im anxious to see what he ends today against oakland with.. I hope he runs back everything he gets for a TD lolol unrealistic but one can dream, afterall its oakland.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Jayson Jenks might want to get the guys name right, might add some credibility.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Exittium":3un7qg2s said:
JAGHAWK":3un7qg2s said:

Im anxious to see what he ends today against oakland with.. I hope he runs back everything he gets for a TD lolol unrealistic but one can dream, afterall its oakland.

I hope he hardly sees the field personally.

We know he's good, lets get him out to Week 1 at 100% health

Exittium

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":oq6cr8pg said:
Exittium":oq6cr8pg said:
JAGHAWK":oq6cr8pg said:

I hope he hardly sees the field personally.

We know he's good, lets get him out to Week 1 at 100% health

Very true. All starters offense/defense/special teams will prob get 1 go then be done, if none at all.

Pete uses preseason a lot more differently than the rest of the NFL imo to though, like look at the AFC they've played it like they're each in a championship while waiting until at late as possible to pull their ones. But PC seems to use it really just to give everyone a chance to have tape on them so that if they don't make the 53 man roster, they have a fighting chance else where. He actually uses it as a true evaluation tool to see what talent they have and are working with.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
I really hope this kid turns out to be the elite slot receiver we all hope he is. It will be very difficult to cover the middle of the field with both he and Jimmy Graham running routes out there.

Phoenix

Reaction score
This was a fun thread.

The people knowledgeable of Lockett and his career loved the pick.
The people who said "...in JS and PC they trust" were right in trusting them.
The people who hated the pick because he was too short, were wrong. Kid can run.
The people who hated the pick because they wanted someone else, well, too bad.

The Breh

Reaction score
Kick return for TD, punt return for TD and a 63 yd receiving TD.
I think we're geared up for a helluva season.
Him and Graham gonna crack this whole offense wide open :twisted: