Pick #88 R 3 Cody Barton LB Utah

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Combine Performance Data
40-yard dash: 4.64 seconds
Bench press: 30 reps (second-best among linebackers)
Vertical jump: 32.5 inches
Broad jump: 9 feet, 8 inches
Three-cone drill: 6.90 seconds (fourth-best among linebackers)
20-yard shuttle: 4.03 seconds (best among linebackers)
60-yard shuttle: 11.47 seconds (second-best among linebackers)

That ain't too shabby.

jmahon316

Reaction score
TreeRon":2kw3rr3v said:
If they like Barton they should look at Kaden Elliss from beleaguered U Idaho. The guy's pro day at Utah was similar and he's about the same size . He'll be a late round pick or a FA. Nice write up on him in the Spokesman Review and Idaho Statesman.

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2019/ ... s-sleds-t/

Wouldn't surprise me if they went for him if he ends up undrafted. I feel like they're trying to replenish our LB core secretly

sutz

Reaction score
jmahon316":2904vtu9 said:
TreeRon":2904vtu9 said:
If they like Barton they should look at Kaden Elliss from beleaguered U Idaho. The guy's pro day at Utah was similar and he's about the same size . He'll be a late round pick or a FA. Nice write up on him in the Spokesman Review and Idaho Statesman.

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2019/ ... s-sleds-t/

Wouldn't surprise me if they went for him if he ends up undrafted. I feel like they're trying to replenish our LB core secretly
Don't know about "secretly" but our guys are a bit old and there are injury concerns, not to mention the Kendricks legal situation. Looks like they're stocking up for the future.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
^Not to mention Malcomb Smith was the last non-starter LB who was progressed from being a total liability.^

jmahon316

Reaction score
FWIW, when I say secretly, I mean pre-draft. It's pretty obvious now but no one really expected us to go LB seriously in this draft.

sutz

Reaction score
jmahon316":xxhkw81q said:
FWIW, when I say secretly, I mean pre-draft. It's pretty obvious now but no one really expected us to go LB seriously in this draft.
I get it. There wasn't much talk about us going LB, but I'm not really surprised. We have a decent group, but there are some question marks. Between this guy and BBK, I'd say they did pretty well.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
jmahon316":lcxdv7f7 said:

I thought LB was one of our positions of greatest need after DE and WR. Don't trust Wrights knee. Don't trust Kendricks Legal situation. Don't trust Mingo's tackling. Don't trust Calitro's athleticism. Don't trust Griffin's decision making.

Definitely needed some young guys to push the other young guys and capable backups for when injuries strike. And they make good special teamers.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
jammerhawk":9w8f6c0e said:
so many wanna be Gm's and personnel experts here.

if the team thinks he fits and was worth trading up to get who are most of to intelligently criticize.

Trader John went from 5 picks to 10 by carefully trading the team finally got their BIG WR in DK Metcalf, there are 5 picks left I think he's doing pretty well. Some very hungry football loving players being added.

I don’t think this should go undiscuseed. . A Moderator telling people not discuss or evaluate a pick because we aren’t smart enough or working for the Seahawks. I guess I would ask why you moderate a discussion board when you don’t want us to DISCUSS and have an opinion? I’ve always thought this was a stupid position. Trust in Pete and JS and shut up. Dumb.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":o1e4ehfv said:
jammerhawk":o1e4ehfv said:

if the team thinks he fits and was worth trading up to get who are most of to intelligently criticize.

Trader John went from 5 picks to 10 by carefully trading the team finally got their BIG WR in DK Metcalf, there are 5 picks left I think he's doing pretty well. Some very hungry football loving players being added.

I don’t think this should go undiscuseed. . A Moderator telling people not discuss or evaluate a pick because we aren’t smart enough or working for the Seahawks. I guess I would ask why you moderate a discussion board when you don’t want us to DISCUSS and have an opinion? I’ve always thought this was a stupid position. Trust in Pete and JS and shut up. Dumb.

I didn't take it as "don't discuss". Sounded more like Jammerhawk's own opinion. You have to admit some of the other opinions voiced have been pretty hyperbolic (at best).

toffee

Reaction score
WestcoastSteve":34g75353 said:
Comps are Blake Martinez of the Packers. A true SAM. He definitely isnt a need but insurance for Kendricks who is only on a one year deal anyways. Makes me wonder how they feel about Griffin and Calitro.

The Griffin twin better focus, focus hard on football, and hoping to take a BIG step forward. Otherwise, they might not be with the team next season or at least not as starters. i am hoping the media darling thing cause the lacking in performance.

two dog

Reaction score
I knew very little of the specifics of Barton or Marquise Blair of the Utes.

What i DID know was that Utah had a hell of a tough defense. Presumably,
these guys are a key reason why.

Interesting to see that Cody Barton's brother, Jackson, was also drafted.
OT and he's a big sucker, 6' 7".

ivotuk

Reaction score
MrThortan":o71m2fdd said:
I don't have a problem with this pick but am scratching my head why they felt like they needed to trade up to get him. Good chance he would have been there with their original pick. *shrug*

How do you know this? Do your sources say how "good of a chance" it is that he would have been there?

Not that i don't value your opinion, but a little more detail would go a long way to validating your point.

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
I think he might end up being a good pick. Strong, sure tackler, good in coverage, this guy could be a starter in a year or two. But I'm hoping they keep Wagner.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
I'll chime in.
Didn't know anything about the player. Perhaps tweener is exactly what they're looking for. NFL trend toward utilizing the advantages of hybrid safety / linebacker types.
I expected a more recognizable name when they traded up, but I'm excited to see what they saw in him.
If you haven't listened to his conference call, I recommend it. My favorite of the bunch. There's the total makeup of the player to consider and I trust Cody didn't fail to impress in interviews.
https://www.seahawks.com/audio/2019-nfl ... ody-barton

jammerhawk

Reaction score
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/cody-bart ... 3315a94333

An instinctive sure tackling LB who will start here on ST, isn’t the draft meant to provide depth? Barton certainly fits a team need, deepens the pool of potential players. He has solid short area quickness and might help covering TEs down the seams in certain coverages.

The FO has a clear view of the type of player they want and while some here have their view of the team needs and what they are planing to do at each position and the team has more knowledge of their true situation.

The team liked Barton and it’s not hard to see why. At pick #88 when projected to go in the 4th might be an early pick or not depending upon what the team saw him to be as a fit for their plan. The Hawks DC is pretty good at recognizing LB talent.

As said above it was an area of identified potential need.

Criticize away, but few have the insight the team does to identify the areas of need or perceived fits for their plans going forward. It isn’t always just immediate need they are drafting to fill.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":cv1r22fi said:
JayhawkMike":cv1r22fi said:
jammerhawk":cv1r22fi said:

I didn't take it as "don't discuss". Sounded more like Jammerhawk's own opinion. You have to admit some of the other opinions voiced have been pretty hyperbolic (at best).

Thanks Grahamhawker, you are exactly right.

Just because I'm a moderator doesn't prevent me from having my own opinion, and expressing it. I too have experienced frustration with the draft in the past and understand the feeling of a personal opinion that the team missed drafting a player that I thought was better than the choice made. However, over time I have come to appreciate that there is a lot more to building a team than just satisfying immediate needs and there are reasons we don't always understand for the draft choices actually made. Good players I though might have been targets were at several points taken shortly before our picks were made as well. To me Barton is a good pick which fills a need and secures a position that needed an improvement in depth.

The team has drafted some quality team leaders from their respective schools and some guys who play with their hair on fire, love football, and knock the snot out of opponents. Who gives a crap about what the Yahoo opinion is of the draft or the opinions of the draft dweebs, the proof will be discovered after the players actually drafted play a bit. Some are going to be backups and ST players but I can see a reason why each of their picks were made, there are some potential quality additions in the class.

We saw a masterpiece of trading from JS this draft that garnered an effective extra pick value of a 6th round pick and allowed the roster to be filled by some slobberknocking dudes. He turned 5 picks into 11.

The team has indicated through Pete that the DLine is still to be addressed more in FA so we will see who else is added. Judge the draft after the players have played in NFL before ripping the FO. Yeah I'd hope the FO knows more about football than I do, ripping picks just b/c you think your choices might be better is often hyperbole and while everyone is entitled to their opinion some are not well stated.

Jville

Reaction score
Moderators are people too :2thumbs: with valued perspectives to share!

Perhaps the following will provide further insight on the linebacker picks .............

The Seahawks proceeded to ignore the position in the subsequent draft and only drafted Shaquem Griffin a year ago. The reason? College football simply hasn’t been pumping their type of linebacker into the league.

So what is their type?

We identified the short shuttle as a key test two years ago.

Cody Barton ran a 4.03 short shuttle (the fastest among linebackers at the combine) and Ben Burr-Kirven ran a 4.09 (third fastest among linebackers at the combine).

Barton’s 4.03 is the second fastest among linebackers in the last five years. Burr-Kirven’s 4.09 is the eighth fastest in that time frame.

Throw in the physicality and passion for the game with that quickness and agility and you have a pair of Seahawks linebackers. Having waited so long and with such a dearth of players matching their ideals in the last few years, it’s no wonder they took this opportunity to add both Barton and Burr-Kiven.

Strike while the iron is hot.

You might ask why they drafted two linebackers after re-signing Mychal Kendricks and K.J. Wright. There a couple of reasons I think. Firstly — both Barton and Burr-Kiven are quick and work well in space. The Seahawks haven’t got close to slowing the Rams down in the last three meetings between the two teams. Now they have the personnel to be creative and try to get a handle on LA’s misdirection-heavy offense. - Rob Staton

Complete remarks are available here >>> [urltargetblank]http://seahawksdraftblog.com/the-2019-seahawks-draft-review[/urltargetblank]

JPC4Days

Reaction score
Do you all remember all the returns that were uncharacteristic for a Pete Carroll coached team last year? Some of Dickson's good punts were negated by coverage issues and I don't remember our own return game being all time... I like when we have awesome special teams that pin people deep and go get the ball with scrappy play and big hits and I know Pete does too.

This is the fine tuning of a pretty complete roster ... you would love to still have Frank Clark .. but we will see what can get done in the third phase but with the RB, the two DB's and LB's and maybe Jennings our special teams just got a lot more talented not to mention depth and potential at each one of there base positions.

+1 in the column that we have these two building and running our football team. I used to ... get mad at the Seahawks not drafting a player I thought was good under old coaches and GM's .. now I wait for them to make the moves and then try to dig into the player and find out why they have a chance to be studs.

I am looking forward to our coverage and return st units to be scary good this year .. with the upside of player development for all our guys.

Let's see what the third phase in team building brings us .. maybe a Chris Clemons under the radar trade for a guy that has been in the league a few years and could slide right into that LEO spot ... or something else .. have no idea but I am exited for this season.