Pinkins (Are we getting too cute)

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Acknowledging that we are great at developing players, then expecting that to happen in one day? There's some irony in that somewhere. How the hell can can Clayton tell whether a 6th rounder -the epitome of A developmental player- is gonna work out or not on day one of his 1st rookie OTA?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
::Clayton and a bunch of media rave about Seattle's 2nd round pick, Paul Richardson::

::Seahawks fan invents something to complain about anyway::

Only on .NET.

:34853_doh:

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Btw, I listened to that Clayton segment today, and it was way more about Richardson's positives than anything to do with Pinkins.

Last year, there were reports of Percy Harvin burning Maxwell for TDs at the first workouts. Maxi turned out alright.

razgriz737

Reaction score
I think some are missing OP's overall point. Are we trying too hard to convert guys to new positions instead of just getting guys who already play those positions? Someone called into Brock and Danny the other day and made the same point, asking why we couldn't just draft a guard instead of converting a guy from LT or from defense.

I like our strategy and am totally fine with all the conversions, but it could still be an interesting thing to discuss.

A London Hawk

Reaction score
Blitzer88":1ajh70d2 said:
Hey now, this is the type of thread that I always start..........not cool bro! Trying to steel my thunder............ :th2thumbs:

Tell me about it. I got a half dozen posts in and had to scroll back up to check you hadn't started it. :)

Sooo.. Blitzer.. What do you think of Pinkins?

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I can't even believe there is a conversation about it.

I think someone needs to dial it back a little, continue to grasp the championship of 2013 and forget about anything these guys are doing until they are honed and ready.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
lsheldon":3o4iddy4 said:
A lot of people are going to get beat by Richardson, I wouldn't use that as a yard stick as to whether Pinkins will make it as a Corner. Carroll is high on Pinkins, and I'm sure it will take more than one day of mini camp before the coaches are finished with him. Maybe we as fans get too impatient.
Impatient? Dude, it was a whole day. Come on now.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
razgriz737":g71u0wxt said:
I think some are missing OP's overall point. Are we trying too hard to convert guys to new positions instead of just getting guys who already play those positions? Someone called into Brock and Danny the other day and made the same point, asking why we couldn't just draft a guard instead of converting a guy from LT or from defense.

I like our strategy and am totally fine with all the conversions, but it could still be an interesting thing to discuss.

I agree to a point, but converting an offensive player to defense is a whole lot different than converting a safety to corner. They don't separate safties and corners during practice, all DBs run through the same individual drills in all levels of football. Either way, worrying about Pinkins after one day of practice, no matter who he is getting burned by, is ridiculous.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
OP - you realize that yesterday was pinkins first ever practice, he flew in just yesterday due to school and finals, whereas PRich and most of the 18 draftees and udfas have been there since Sunday, learning and working with the team. for Clayton to say it's not working is entirely premature.

Smellyman

Reaction score
JKent82":qx5fmzjh said:
Wait our 1st round WR is beating our 6th round safety turned corner as of a few days ago? Isn't the correct result. Wouldn't it be like a bazillion times worse if it was the other result.

I think most of our results have come from taking driven, confident but raw players and coaching them up.

don't put a damper on internet hand wringing!

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
razgriz737":2kkuninh said:

He's a 6th round DB playing DB. Nothing "cute" about that. In the 6th round what CB was there that offered as much potential (as the hawks see it) that Pinkins has? Does the OP think the coaches are scared to coach? It's not like they do this a ton. Sweezy? Who else? Besides I remember Brandon Browner getting burned even into his first season. It's called a project, which most late round picks are.

We aren't spending a 1st on a QB and trying to make him a DE...it's a DB playing in the defensive backfield

kidhawk

Reaction score
People would think this was a full blown contact practice....it's a rookie minicamp where contact isn't allowed this should ALWAYS favor the speedier guys because you have nothing to impede your path. Given that and the fact that Pinkins is learning a new position and I'd be absolutely AMAZED if he wasn't getting beat out there.

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
Getting too cute ? Well some teams get too cute . Like the Jags taken a Punter at pick 74(right before we grabbed Wilson at 75)

When we get cute it usually works. Red Bryant at DE? That's cute . KJ Wright over Curry? Cutting Houshyamama with 7m dead money ?That's cute . Russell Wilson , Brandon Browner , Sherman , Chancellor , Sweezy , Big Mike Williams , I can even thrown in Lynch who was 3rd on Buffalos depth chart at the time . All Cute . All worked .

Cute stuff that didnt work - Terrell Owens , Whitehurst .

Point is this team leaves no stoned unturned . We can't get too cute . Being cute is who we are :)

SeaTown81

Reaction score
Late round picks are late round picks. And with how the Hawks operate, they are really no different from undrafted free agents. Just because the Hawks have found some gems in mid to later rounds, doesn't mean every guy they take is going to be amazing.

The reason the Hawks hit on guys like Sherman, Chancellor, Wright, Smith, etc, is because they swing for the fences. They aren't careful. They aren't afraid of missing on a guy. You don't get Sherman and Chancellor types without a few EJ Wilson, Jaye Howard, or Chris Harper types. The Hawks go after guys they like and let the players prove they belong. They are going to miss on picks. Every team does.

Fans need to see the greater picture on how the Hawks build through the draft. It's not based on any one draft pick or player. It's based in totality. And that included undrafted players. The Hawks took James Carpenter, John Moffitt, & Kris Durham before they took Richard Sherman. They took EJ Wilson before they took Kam Chancellor. Draft status or rank means very little to them. They take their types of guys and let it play out. The reason they've had such success is because they have a philosophy and stick with it.

And again, Pinkins was a 6th round pick! 6th round picks usually have a tough time making playoff teams. Getting too cute about a pick is something you possibly say about a 1st rounder. Not a guy barely drafted. And it's been ONE DAY of camp. ONE DAY.

Oh Seahawks fans. How you are so spoiled.

Latest posts