Pinkins (Are we getting too cute)

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Regardless of if he makes it as a corner or safety I think Pinkins makes this team quitye easily based on special teams ability alone. I remember Kam being a beast on special teams and I imagine Pinkins will be as well. It will be fun to see how he develops.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
razgriz737":190lz4m3 said:
I think some are missing OP's overall point. Are we trying too hard to convert guys to new positions instead of just getting guys who already play those positions? Someone called into Brock and Danny the other day and made the same point, asking why we couldn't just draft a guard instead of converting a guy from LT or from defense.

I like our strategy and am totally fine with all the conversions, but it could still be an interesting thing to discuss.

The main point I see here is flexibility. If heaven forbid we lose one person one play..and the next person same position the next play due to freaking Washington REDSKINS field, then we have a backup on the roster for the day. Multiposition players make sense to me in the secondary if they can handle it after day one of practice. Day 2, cut them. Right Blitzer?

:mrgreen: :stirthepot: :stirthepot: :stirthepot: :mrgreen:

:thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers:

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
razgriz737":22qcie0f said:
I think some are missing OP's overall point. Are we trying too hard to convert guys to new positions instead of just getting guys who already play those positions? Someone called into Brock and Danny the other day and made the same point, asking why we couldn't just draft a guard instead of converting a guy from LT or from defense.

I like our strategy and am totally fine with all the conversions, but it could still be an interesting thing to discuss.

I think everyone got the point, because everyone is asking "This is too cute based on what evidence?" or saying "It's too early to tell if this particular conversion is too cute."

Sure, it's worth discussing, but we just won the entire NFL with a roster full of conversions and outside-the-mold players that other teams wouldn't know what to do with. Pete and John have said repeatedly they look for players with special qualities. To question the decisions of our coaches, GM, and scouts based solely on their unorthodoxy is silly because Pete made it clear from the get-go that he deifies conventional thinking, almost automatically. Their track record shows that their approach works.

There's nothing wrong with being critical, or questioning them, but when confronting the motives and choices of people with a history of elite-level success, one must be prepared with a very substantial argument using facts and prior examples. Otherwise, it just sounds like needless worrying over nothing.

ECHF nailed it with the examples.

EastCoastHawksFan":22qcie0f said:
Getting too cute ? Well some teams get too cute . Like the Jags taken a Punter at pick 74(right before we grabbed Wilson at 75)

When we get cute it usually works. Red Bryant at DE? That's cute . KJ Wright over Curry? Cutting Houshyamama with 7m dead money ?That's cute . Russell Wilson , Brandon Browner , Sherman , Chancellor , Sweezy , Big Mike Williams , I can even thrown in Lynch who was 3rd on Buffalos depth chart at the time . All Cute . All worked .

Cute stuff that didnt work - Terrell Owens , Whitehurst .

Point is this team leaves no stoned unturned . We can't get too cute . Being cute is who we are :)

Throwdown

Reaction score
If Pinkins was doing work on Backpack Rich, the topic of the thread would be about Richardson busting... On the first day of rookie mini camp

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":240969u5 said:
razgriz737":240969u5 said:

The main point I see here is flexibility. If heaven forbid we lose one person one play..and the next person same position the next play due to freaking Washington REDSKINS field, then we have a backup on the roster for the day.
Actually, that exact thing happened -- but it wasn't on the Redskins' field, sucky though it is. It happened in New Jersey.

Hawks46

Reaction score
lsheldon":bw001zw1 said:
A lot of people are going to get beat by Richardson, I wouldn't use that as a yard stick as to whether Pinkins will make it as a Corner. Carroll is high on Pinkins, and I'm sure it will take more than one day of mini camp before the coaches are finished with him. Maybe we as fans get too impatient.

Maybe ??

Lol, it's day one of mini camp and we already have a thread questioning a philosophy/player development that got us from a franchise in full rebuild to Superbowl Champions.

Like someone above mentioned, Pinkins has stiff hips. It's not a surprise. not being able to transition or flip your hips costs you a step. Doing this while covering a WR that runs a 4.2 forty will get you roasted. I'd theorize that they threw him out there on Richardson just to see what they need to work on.

We also don't know what drills they were running. If I was 6'2" and 220 lbs and covering a guy that runs a 4.2 forty, is skinny and doesn't handle getting mauled at the LOS, you'd bet your ass I'd have hands on him right away. Maybe they're not letting him do that so they can see what/how much to work on.

drdiags

Reaction score
I guess the big issue I have with the OP is the thought of some studs being passed over while the Seahawks draft players for conversion. Sure there are diamonds late in the draft but usually 6th and 7th round players are projects and thus the opposite of some "stud" players being passed over.

I could see if the Seahawks did stunts like the Jags, drafting a QB with fantastic athleticism in the 1st round to convert into a WR. But drafting a Sweezy late to convert from DT/DE to guard or Jared Smith in the 7th to convert to a OL (or was it Seymour? I forget). I just think people are blowing a gasket on some silly issues.

Most of the dev guys in the 4th/5th and below have been more about them not having all the measurable at their position, such as Kam not fitting the Safety mode or the DBs not being the prototype size, thus the fear they wouldn't work in the NFL. There have been a few position change players, like Konz, who needed a position to take advantage of his freak athleticism. Or Red to DE when DT wasn't working out for him.

I guess I don't see the OP's criticism. But if it is a concern of his, I will try to see things from his point of view.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I just peed myself reading the OP. It is the most awesome satire I have ever read on this board. He almost had me for a second, I gotta admit, with the fake handwringing that a 6th round press corner looking bad on the first day of non contact drills.

Good one OP, you almost had me.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Not concerned.

After the draft, I was surprised how few in here knew much about Richardson. It wasn't that long ago (though it seems like it), that Richardson was seen as elite among all WRs, Pac-12 and nationally. Thankfully for us, he got his dumb ass kicked off UCLA. He would have been a sure 1st rder if not hidden away in the Rockies. When healthy, he is a threat every time he touches the ball. SUPER high ceiling and the answer for those of you that wanted to break the bank on Desean Jackson.

I would be MUCH more concerned (shocked) to hear Pinkins had his way with him.

Edited by Throwdown

Blitzer88

Reaction score
A London Hawk":ogwhhb2m said:
Blitzer88":ogwhhb2m said:
Hey now, this is the type of thread that I always start..........not cool bro! Trying to steel my thunder............ :th2thumbs:

Tell me about it. I got a half dozen posts in and had to scroll back up to check you hadn't started it. :)

Sooo.. Blitzer.. What do you think of Pinkins?

I'm excited to see what he can do or become. I mean what is there not to like about 6'2" and 4.45 speed? And even if he isn't quite cut out ot be a CB, and its way too early to even make that judgement yet, I think he would make a great backup FS or even SS.

kearly

Reaction score
After the first two years I thought Maxwell would never be anything more than a good special teams player. Then 2013 happened and he became the dirtiest corner I've ever seen, and really really really good in part because of it.

I think at any position there is kind of a "lightbulb coming on" moment for players and they suddenly click and become great. Maybe Pinkins busts or maybe he takes some time to click. But with our "redshirt" program, he's got plenty of time to figure things out.

Anyone have a link to the Clayton audio where he raves about Richardson?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
kearly":1pi33mrd said:
After the first two years I thought Maxwell would never be anything more than a good special teams player. Then 2013 happened and he became the dirtiest corner I've ever seen, and really really really good in part because of it.

I think at any position there is kind of a "lightbulb coming on" moment for players and they suddenly click and become great. Maybe Pinkins busts or maybe he takes some time to click. But with our "redshirt" program, he's got plenty of time to figure things out.

Anyone have a link to the Clayton audio where he raves about Richardson?

Richardson talk starts 18 seconds in:

http://mynorthwest.com/category/pod_pla ... rd%20Facts

v1rotv2

Reaction score
The story line should have read Pinkins had a bad first day out. Not that the conversion process isn't going well. This kind of thing takes months not a single day. Clayton knows better than that but like every other journalist he leads with sensationalism.

OrFan

Reaction score
Hmmm, I wonder if Clayton won a Pulitzer Prize with his very first article? No? Well then I guess the transition from student to journalist didn't go well at all for him.

warden

Reaction score
The philosophy of developing players like Pinkins goes down the toilet when Greedall reduces the number of pre season games.