Playoff Seeding opinions

Hawkfiend

Reaction score
1. Bama
2. Clemson
3. Washington
4. Ohio State

This is how it should look if Clemson and Washington both win. Ohio State SHOULD be penalized for not playing in the BIG10 title game and essentially getting a bye to rest up before the playoffs. If Clemson or WA lose, I'd be fine with the BIG10 champ getting in.

HawkGA

Reaction score
The playoff games are far enough away that not playing in the championship game isn't really an advantage from a rest perspective.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Mtjhoyas":kkdyce8m said:
I feel very strongly that Penn State has ZERO business in the Playoffs. To me, it comes down to 2 things:

1. A 39 point loss should be an automatic disqualifier IF comparing to another conference champion or team with the same record. I'm sorry, but a playoff team doesn't get beat by almost 6 touchdowns.

2. The "eye test." Quite frankly, I see a team with several holes and a real lack of speed.

I know they have the Ohio State win, but that was by 3 points at home with tOSU playing their worst game, perhaps in years. It's still a win and I would say that's all that matters if they were my team, but still, I can't get over a 39 point loss. Also, their OOC schedule was terrible so I don't know why they would get the nod over UW (if they win). Bottom line, take away the tOSU win, and I think PSU has a really poor case to make.

The only way I see PSU getting in is if they absolutely destroy Wisconsin, which I really don't see happening. In fact, I think Wisconsin wins this one fairly easily. And for my money, Wisconsin lost it's Playoff berth by losing to 2 teams ranked higher than them, even if they were close games.

Unfortunately for the Playoff Committee, for my money, there's only one bonafide Playoff team this year, and that's Alabama.

Careful. UW fans should NOT mention ooc strength of schedule this year. FCS? Really?

Hawkfiend

Reaction score
HawkGA":2xabt03w said:
The playoff games are far enough away that not playing in the championship game isn't really an advantage from a rest perspective.

It's not just travel, it's wear and tear on your team by having to play another game . Ohio State getting in and not having to play an extra game (especially this late in the year) is a huge advantage.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
WmHBonney":3axdk9w9 said:
Mtjhoyas":3axdk9w9 said:
I feel very strongly that Penn State has ZERO business in the Playoffs. To me, it comes down to 2 things:

1. A 39 point loss should be an automatic disqualifier IF comparing to another conference champion or team with the same record. I'm sorry, but a playoff team doesn't get beat by almost 6 touchdowns.

2. The "eye test." Quite frankly, I see a team with several holes and a real lack of speed.

I know they have the Ohio State win, but that was by 3 points at home with tOSU playing their worst game, perhaps in years. It's still a win and I would say that's all that matters if they were my team, but still, I can't get over a 39 point loss. Also, their OOC schedule was terrible so I don't know why they would get the nod over UW (if they win). Bottom line, take away the tOSU win, and I think PSU has a really poor case to make.

The only way I see PSU getting in is if they absolutely destroy Wisconsin, which I really don't see happening. In fact, I think Wisconsin wins this one fairly easily. And for my money, Wisconsin lost it's Playoff berth by losing to 2 teams ranked higher than them, even if they were close games.

Unfortunately for the Playoff Committee, for my money, there's only one bonafide Playoff team this year, and that's Alabama.

Careful. UW fans should NOT mention ooc strength of schedule this year. FCS? Really?

The reason I mention PSU OOC strength of schedule is that it doesn't deserve credit to negate more losses than UW, including a 6 Touchdown Loss to Michigan. It's pretty simple. If we are talking tOSU, then yea, I wouldn't even consider mentioning OOC SoS because I'm not a crazy person.

Again...my emphasis is 1) more losses and 2) a 39 point loss. Point 2, IMO, is unacceptable for a playoff team, no matter the opponent.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Hawkfiend":3pbwrprp said:
HawkGA":3pbwrprp said:

It's not just travel, it's wear and tear on your team by having to play another game . Ohio State getting in and not having to play an extra game (especially this late in the year) is a huge advantage.

I didn't mean far away in a distance sense but in a time sense. The only real disadvantage would be the event of a major injury. Otherwise there's a good month between the games. I don't think getting 5 weeks instead of 4 weeks is that big of an advantage.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I'm not sure it matters a whole lot who wins the Big10. Wisconsin is currently ranked ahead of Penn State, yes? The one thing you'd be able to get rid of is the "beat Ohio State" card that Penn State has. Virginia Tech winning would be an interesting wrench.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
If UW and Clemson somehow lose this weekend, we are going to 3 Big 10 teams in the playoff.

Rat

Reaction score
Seahawks1983":2ymqvi1t said:
If UW and Clemson somehow lose this weekend, we are going to 3 Big 10 teams in the playoff.

Logically, they could, but I don't see the committee allowing it. They'd probably put Colorado, Oklahoma, or Clemson anyway ahead of Michigan/Penn State or Wisconsin.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
1 - Bama
2 - Ohio State
3 - Clemson
4 - Michigan
5 - Washington
6 - Penn State
7 - Wisconsin

If Washington wins the P12, they leap Michigan into the 4 spot. If they lose, the Wolverines stay where they're at.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Hawkfiend":3s71enk3 said:
1. Bama
2. Clemson
3. Washington
4. Ohio State

This is how it should look if Clemson and Washington both win. Ohio State SHOULD be penalized for not playing in the BIG10 title game and essentially getting a bye to rest up before the playoffs. If Clemson or WA lose, I'd be fine with the BIG10 champ getting in.

Ohio States resume poops all over Clemson and Washington, conference title or not.

HawkGA

Reaction score
UW is currently #4 but I'm currently listening to somebody talk about how UW and Michigan are viewed very close to even.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
HawkGA":10iibsic said:
UW is currently #4 but I'm currently listening to somebody talk about how UW and Michigan are viewed very close to even.

Maybe... but it really doesn't matter. Since Michigan doesn't have another game, beat Colorado no matter how close it is, and they are in. Lose and they tumble out of the top 4 and then it doesn't matter either.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
1. Alabama
2. Ohio State
3. Washington
4. Clemson

That's assuming all those teams win. I'm just glad that at this point, it's all but a forgone conclusion that Washington will be in the playoffs if they beat Colorado. No team is going to jump the #4 seed after they add a win against a top-25 opponent and a conference championship. In fact, a win over Colorado should let them jump over Clemson, even if Clemson wins, because VT will likely drop out of the top-25.

Ohio State has a better resume than Washington. They have the same record, but OSU has better wins, and their 1 loss was on the road. I have no problem with them being #2.

HawkGA

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":2tzuqkj2 said:
HawkGA":2tzuqkj2 said:

Maybe... but it really doesn't matter. Since Michigan doesn't have another game, beat Colorado no matter how close it is, and they are in. Lose and they tumble out of the top 4 and then it doesn't matter either.

I don't know if this is true. Colorado will be a common opponent for UW and Michigan. Style points might matter.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I think it is reasonably safe to say UW did enough yesterday to fend off Michigan. I still think they get the 4 seed, barring a Clemson upset.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
On College Gameday this morning they're talking about the possibility that, even with Washington's win last night and regardless of what happens in the B1G championship, both Ohio State and Michigan should be in the top 4 with Alabama and Clemson.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
SeatownJay":1z0va9u0 said:
On College Gameday this morning they're talking about the possibility that, even with Washington's win last night and regardless of what happens in the B1G championship, both Ohio State and Michigan should be in the top 4 with Alabama and Clemson.

Were they looking for clicks??? :mrgreen:

Pac 10 and now the Pac 12 always beats itself up in their own conference. Ohio State and Michigan are the powerhouses in their conference. Ohio State qb is good, but not great. He has issues with the passing game. They should be in the conversation but not gonna get to the playoffs in my opinion. But Opinions are like...................

Ambrose83

Reaction score
JSeahawks":nxbzqmqn said:
The_Z_Man":nxbzqmqn said:
JSeahawks":nxbzqmqn said:
I think it will end up:

1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Washington
4. Ohio State

Clemson and Washington will jump Ohio State since they win conference championships. Wisconsin/Penn State will win their conference but not make the playoffs. They''ll put Washington in 2nd or 3rd to get a west coast team in the Fiesta Bowl where the 2/3 matchup will be.

Alabama beats Ohio State. Clemson beats Washington. Rematch of last years final and Alabama wins again.

Did you think that through J?

If the Huskies are lucky enough to draw Clemson, that would be awesome. I'll take that match-up over any other team in the playoff field. Have you watched Clemson this year? They are totally rely over-reliant on Mike Williams, meaning they struggle mightily with teams that have good DB's and can limit his impact, and their major Achilles heal on D is an accurate QB because their defensive backs are gamblers.

The Huskies are a better version of every team that gave Clemson fits -- Louisville, Pitt, and Florida State.

If UW draws Clemson in the first round and it's played on the West Coast, I am absolutely giddy...

I'm not sure Washington is better then Louisville or Florida State. I think it would be a great game.

You also thought wsu and Colorado would beat them...