Playoffs in 9 of the last 11 seasons

pmedic920

Reaction score
ZagHawk":3jemz4mc said:
A fan can desire their team to bump to the next level of competitiveness while still appreciating where they're at. As for this WFT game, I saw some things I liked. I saw some things I didn't like. I liked the things I liked, I am concerned about the things I didn't like being potential game losing issues in the future. I appreciate the overall W vs a L. But you can be objective seeing where your team has weaknesses that must be addressed if they want to win the SB (because that's what Pete and his team wants, and that's what as fans we all want). Week 12 is roughly where you see what your team is made of and will be the remainder of the season and playoffs.

This is what I'm seeing:

- A team that has improved on defense BUT can get gashed in a quarter
- A team that has been top level on offense BUT can be completely shutdown as well

Conclusion - When both sides of the ball are firing, this team is going to beat any team (even the damn Chiefs), but if both sides are not firing it's gonna get beat bad, and if only one side is firing well you hope the other side is firing enough and it may not be good enough to beat a top 3-4 team which will kill you in the playoffs. All the above said, once we are in this stage of the season, the team kind of stops improving it is what it is, so it tells me the team may not make it to the NFCCG which as fans we want...this is where we want the team to step up from previous playoff appearances. It's very much like my Zags. The Zags were in "the dance" year after year and people were saying we should be grateful they are dancing, but they were never making it past the sweet sixteen year after year after year, it was only until they finally broke into the final four (and championship game) that they took the next step. Now the Hawks did win the whole thing, so this is a little different, but since then they haven't moved past round two....fans, players, coaches are obviously wanting that next step to show it's ready to go back to the SB (even if its not this year, but we certainly hope so).

I love the Bulldogs in collegiate BB, few but the faithful recognize the beauty of what’s going on in Spokane.

Nothing wrong with elevating one’s expectations but we need to be realistic.
We should consider the NFL as whole when we criticize/critique our team.

It can’t be argued that the Seahawks have been one of the most successful teams in recent history.

If only folks knew/understood what the first couple of decades were like.

GoHawks.

BubbaGump

Reaction score
When I say repetitive cycle, I’m referring to the same game every week. We fans have seen the same results for the last 3-4 years. The games play out the same every week. I’m not looking for blowouts but I would like to see this team change up their style of play. It’s like watching someone try to push a square block through a round hole a lot of the times. I think Pete’s style of play, keep it close, no turnovers, play action bombs down the field on 3rd and manageable, run tough between the tackles, work only when you have the right personnel like we did early in his years here. He is still trying to push that same style of play with personnel that can’t do it as he expects. Thus for me it is frustrating to watch.

Of course Pete is the windiest coach we ever had in this organization and we have records if 9-10-11 years but we are out early in the playoffs also. I contribute that to Pete Carroll. I don’t see him changing, therefore I don’t see this team making a deep run in the playoffs.

I know others have a different perspective and that’s fine, I’m not trying to insult anyone here or their fandom. I’m just ready for the next chapter of the Seahawks and whatever it may bring.

Nunya

Reaction score
BubbaGump":357t6f2r said:
When I say repetitive cycle, I’m referring to the same game every week. We fans have seen the same results for the last 3-4 years. The games play out the same every week. I’m not looking for blowouts but I would like to see this team change up their style of play. It’s like watching someone try to push a square block through a round hole a lot of the times. I think Pete’s style of play, keep it close, no turnovers, play action bombs down the field on 3rd and manageable, run tough between the tackles, work only when you have the right personnel like we did early in his years here. He is still trying to push that same style of play with personnel that can’t do it as he expects. Thus for me it is frustrating to watch.

Of course Pete is the windiest coach we ever had in this organization and we have records if 9-10-11 years but we are out early in the playoffs also. I contribute that to Pete Carroll. I don’t see him changing, therefore I don’t see this team making a deep run in the playoffs.

I know others have a different perspective and that’s fine, I’m not trying to insult anyone here or their fandom. I’m just ready for the next chapter of the Seahawks and whatever it may bring.

So let me see if I got this right. Your armchair expertise claims that an experience coach in the NFL is doing it all wrong...even though his philosophy (the one you described) is a football philosophy pretty much used by all coaches.....and that this same experienced NFL football coach suddenly forgets how to play the game of football once the team gets into the playoffs?

If a team is good enough to get to the playoffs, they have a decent shot at the SB. Seasonal games do not matter (other than a possible advantage from seeding). How seasonal games are won or lost does not matter. All that matters is reaching the playoffs and hopefully fixing weaknesses that manifested throughout the season. Seems to me that many weaknesses have been fixed...or at least improved. The Defense is playing much better. The Offense is still a factor to be reckoned with. We made the playoffs.

This team is not perfect....but then NO NFL team is perfect. Every team has their performance issues at times. Coaches can prepare their team, have the best game plan, & have the key personnel.....and still lose game if the team does not execute perfectly. It only takes one player to mess up a play's execution. But then, that is why we play this game. It is hard to have perfection from 11 players on every play. Hence, there is a reason for the saying "Any given Sunday....."

hawksincebirth

Reaction score
pmedic920":2ihoh0vq said:
BubbaGump":2ihoh0vq said:
When you ask a question like that you are not ready for an honest answer. You have already made up your mind and formed your defensive response. This team is stuck in a repetitive cycle with Pete Carroll as coach. History is constantly repeating itself week in and week out. Some of us fans have grown weary of it and have spoken out. There are many threads and topics to give you examples. Calling people out because you disagree with their perception of the Hawks in this cycle is only asking to get shot down. Hence you create another cycle of your own.

Here’s something else to consider, as mentioned above the Pats are pretty much the only team with as much/more success over the same span of time. Look at them now w/o both the coach and the QB.
A winning football team is about much more than just talent, chemistry and intangibles play a huge role.

.....see my signature.

This is simply not true.
Since 2010

Franchise Wins Bowl Playoffs W L T
New England Patriots 3 5 10 125 35 0
Green Bay Packers 1 1 8 102 56 2
Pittsburgh Steelers 0 1 6 102 57 1
New Orleans Saints 0 0 6 100 60 0
Seattle Seahawks 1 2 8 100 59 1
Baltimore Ravens 1 1 6 98 62 0
Kansas City Chiefs 1 1 7 96 64 0
Atlanta Falcons 0 1 5 89 71 0
Denver Broncos 1 2 5 89 71 0
Philadelphia Eagles 1 1 5 87 73 0

BubbaGump

Reaction score
Nunya":1da3rirv said:
BubbaGump":1da3rirv said:

So let me see if I got this right. Your armchair expertise claims that an experience coach in the NFL is doing it all wrong...even though his philosophy (the one you described) is a football philosophy pretty much used by all coaches.....and that this same experienced NFL football coach suddenly forgets how to play the game of football once the team gets into the playoffs?

If a team is good enough to get to the playoffs, they have a decent shot at the SB. Seasonal games do not matter (other than a possible advantage from seeding). How seasonal games are won or lost does not matter. All that matters is reaching the playoffs and hopefully fixing weaknesses that manifested throughout the season. Seems to me that many weaknesses have been fixed...or at least improved. The Defense is playing much better. The Offense is still a factor to be reckoned with. We made the playoffs.

This team is not perfect....but then NO NFL team is perfect. Every team has their performance issues at times. Coaches can prepare their team, have the best game plan, & have the key personnel.....and still lose game if the team does not execute perfectly. It only takes one player to mess up a play's execution. But then, that is why we play this game. It is hard to have perfection from 11 players on every play. Hence, there is a reason for the saying "Any given Sunday....."
And you are an true expert compared to an armchair expert. Also like how you infer that you are playing the game. Why is that everyone has to agree on here?

Nunya

Reaction score
BubbaGump":1ny3ylr3 said:
Nunya":1ny3ylr3 said:
BubbaGump":1ny3ylr3 said:

And you are an true expert compared to an armchair expert. Also like how you infer that you are playing the game. Why is that everyone has to agree on here?

I never claimed to be an expert. However, I am also not the one claiming I know more than PC, that he is doing his job all wrong, and that he will not be successful in the playoff.

Never said we all had to agree, but when you pull crap out of your arse, people might call you on it.

BubbaGump

Reaction score
Nunya":10zm0orz said:
BubbaGump":10zm0orz said:
Nunya":10zm0orz said:
BubbaGump":10zm0orz said:

I never claimed to be an expert. However, I am also not the one claiming I know more than PC, that he is doing his job all wrong, and that he will not be successful in the playoff.

Never said we all had to agree, but when you pull crap out of your arse, people might call you on it.
I never claimed to know more than Pete also. I stated my observations of what is happening and and how I feel about seeing the same thing every week. You don’t like what I have written and obviously did not see that I wrote my observations and opinions.

BubbaGump

Reaction score
We don’t have the personnel we had to run Pete’s system. Lynch, Sherman, Thomas, Chancellor, young Wagner, those were who he had to run his style of plan and it was legendary. They were legendary players. Now we have Carson(injury history), Flowers and Griffen (Horrible and Average), Diggs and Adams (good and great) and Adam’s is just getting started here, and an aging Bobby who is a future Hall of Famer. Has Pete changed anything? No but he does not have the same players. I don’t think he will change so it is not fantasy to think this team will repeat past performance s in the playoff. That not pulling thing out of my arse! I’m not the only person on here who thinks so and anything we respond to we get flamed for our opinion.

Nunya

Reaction score
BubbaGump":1loenwy2 said:
We don’t have the personnel we had to run Pete’s system. Lynch, Sherman, Thomas, Chancellor, young Wagner, those were who he had to run his style of plan and it was legendary. They were legendary players. Now we have Carson(injury history), Flowers and Griffen (Horrible and Average), Diggs and Adams (good and great) and Adam’s is just getting started here, and an aging Bobby who is a future Hall of Famer. Has Pete changed anything? No but he does not have the same players. I don’t think he will change so it is not fantasy to think this team will repeat past performance s in the playoff. That not pulling thing out of my arse! I’m not the only person on here who thinks so and anything we respond to we get flamed for our opinion.

How do you know what PC changed or did not change?

You are right. Carson is no Lynch....but then, few RBs are. Also, Lynch had his health issues as well (mainly his back). The others you mentioned are also not as talented as their predecessors. Remember however, it was PC and the coaching staff that made those low draft pick (except Thomas) and unsigned FAs into the LOB. The fact that the Defense has definitely improved from where it was at in the beginning of the season suggest something was changed.

Some people seem to expect perfection. When they do not get it, they call for the firing of certain staff members or players.....and they really do not really know why they "should" be fired other than the fact that their expectations are not met. It is almost like these people do not understand how difficult it is to be successful in the NFL. That even the worse team in the NFL is still made up of professional players and that team can still be a threat to even the highest rated team in the league.

You claim you are "ready for the next chapter". So are you willing to fire a coach that consistently fields a competitive team season after season and replace him with an unknown that could bring back years or even decades of mediocrity? I think that is foolish talk. As long as the Seahawks make the playoffs, they have a chance to not only make the SB, but to win the SB.....no matter how bad they played throughout the season.

hawksincebirth

Reaction score
Nunya":2enp7mal said:
BubbaGump":2enp7mal said:

You are right. Carson is no Lynch....but then, few RBs are. Also, Lynch had his health issues as well (mainly his back). The others you mentioned are also not as talented as their predecessors. Remember however, it was PC and the coaching staff that made those low draft pick (except Thomas) and unsigned FAs into the LOB. The fact that the Defense has definitely improved from where it was at in the beginning of the season suggest something was changed.

Some people seem to expect perfection. When they do not get it, they call for the firing of certain staff members or players.....and they really do not really know why they "should" be fired other than the fact that their expectations are not met. It is almost like these people do not understand how difficult it is to be successful in the NFL. That even the worse team in the NFL is still made up of professional players and that team can still be a threat to even the highest rated team in the league.

You claim you are "ready for the next chapter". So are you willing to fire a coach that consistently fields a competitive team season after season and replace him with an unknown that could bring back years or even decades of mediocrity? I think that is foolish talk. As long as the Seahawks make the playoffs, they have a chance to not only make the SB, but to win the SB.....no matter how bad they played throughout the season.

How do you know changing coaches would bring mediocrity or set the franchise back a decade?

Nunya

Reaction score
hawksincebirth":37fgmyy5 said:
Nunya":37fgmyy5 said:
BubbaGump":37fgmyy5 said:

How do you know changing coaches would bring mediocrity or set the franchise back a decade?

The odds. It is always easier to find under-achievers than it is to find over-achievers. Sure, we can replace PC with <insert name here> and they might be more successful.....or they could stink it up so much that it takes years to recover. What I see right now are players that want to play in Seattle. Players that are close to one another and believe in themselves. A team that does not quit until the end of the game. I see nobody on this team that is critical of PC or any of the coaching staff. These are not the signs of a team that has lost faith in their coach.

MesquiteHawk

Reaction score
hawksincebirth":1zo8xvae said:
Nunya":1zo8xvae said:
BubbaGump":1zo8xvae said:

We do not know, but look back on history and make an educated guess. Out of all of the HC/GM combinations we have had in the past, you might say that 1 comes close to what we have now. It is all about odds, just like betting on a game.

Latest posts