POLL: Does Marshawn Lynch belong in the Hall of Fame?

POLL: Does Marshawn Lynch belong in the Hall of Fame?

• Yes

Votes: 126 63.0%
  • No

Votes: 74 37.0%

• Total voters

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
kearly":1go54p1b said:
I see a lot of Seattle sports fan syndrome in this thread. Personally, I would be really surprised if he's not in at some point. The Hall is for icons and legends, and only a handful of RBs in the history of the game have been bigger icons than Lynch.
Homerism.

Icon to who? Seattle fans?

While some seahawks fans were obsessing over him, the rest of the NFL fandom wasn't. People know he was really good for a while, but icon is a serious stretch for anyone not obsessed with the Hawks.

He is about as much an icon as Chris Johnson was in his prime, and you don't hear people calling Chris Johnson an icon.

mrt144

Reaction score
I think Beast is one player where the qualitative argument is all he needs. He was a personality of huge magnitude, he had dazzling plays that only he could make with his physicality and agility. Hall of Fame, not Hall of Counting Stats.

McG

Reaction score
The question is does Marshawn Lynch belong in the H.O.F? In my opinion, yes he does. Not necessarily for the numbers he put up, but for his impact on the field. The H.O.F. should be reserved for players that could be the best of the best in any era and that is exactly what Lynch was. Would he have been as successful in the 1960's, '70's, '80's, '90's as he was during the 2000's-2010's? I believe without a doubt he would have been, if not more successful, considering the run game was the focal point of the offense during those eras. Also, you have to factor in the overall impact he had on his team (both offense/defense) and most importantly the other team and their mental approach to defense. Name a defender that claims they wanted to tackle Lynch one on one and I'll point out that they are either crazy or lying.

Lynch was a one of a kind player in this era, in a game full of pass first, spread, finesse offense he was the guy ready to run over you at the drop of a hat and take you for a ride. In a league full of tough guys, bad asses and bullies, he was the toughest, baddest, bully of them all. He was truly was the definition of the term "Beastmode" and he did all of that weighing 30 pounds less than the man that he was most often compared to (Lynch 215 lbs., Campbell 245 lbs.). Will he make it to the hall, God I hope so, but not because I'm a homer Hawk fan, but because this game was so impacted because of him. Hell, this team is different because of him. He is an all time great and should be remembered as such, not just by us in the Ring of Honor, but also by the entire league in the Hall of Fame.

Erebus

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":3frj8hfi said:
kearly":3frj8hfi said:
I see a lot of Seattle sports fan syndrome in this thread. Personally, I would be really surprised if he's not in at some point. The Hall is for icons and legends, and only a handful of RBs in the history of the game have been bigger icons than Lynch.
Homerism.

While some seahawks fans were obsessing over him, the rest of the NFL fandom wasn't. People know he was really good for a while, but icon is a serious stretch for anyone not obsessed with the Hawks.

He is about as much an icon as Chris Johnson was in his prime, and you don't hear people calling Chris Johnson an icon.

I couldn't disagree with you more. He was the widely recognized as the offensive identity of a team that went to two Super Bowls. People feared him. Nobody feared Chris Johnson. I remember Jon Gruden on MNF in 2013, talking about how the Packers hope Eddie Lacy can give them the same physical toughness that Marshawn Lynch gives the Seahawks. Sure it was great to get that recognition, but more importantly it wasn't surprising or unfounded. We were nationally recognized as being the physically dominant running team, even before going to the SB.

SixSeahawk

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":x9tgeold said:
kearly":x9tgeold said:
Homerism.

I'm in Toronto. Nobody cares about the Seahawks this far away from Seattle but we definitely know what Marshawn Lynch has done.

You sound a little bitter about something.

Erebus

Reaction score
SixSeahawk":3orzm39e said:
bjornanderson21":3orzm39e said:
kearly":3orzm39e said:
Homerism.

I'm in Toronto. Nobody cares about the Seahawks this far away from Seattle but we definitely know what Marshawn Lynch has done.

You sound a little bitter about something.

That is a great point. I'm in Maryland and Lynch gets tons of respect around here too.

chris98251

Reaction score
Franco Harris had the immaculate reception.

Marshawn Lynch had Beastquake along with a Nic name indicating how tough he was Beast Mode.

Icons have identifications associated with them.

The Drive with John Elway.

The Catch with Joe Montana and Dwight Clark.

Whats more they do it when it counts most.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
kearly":qp00umb9 said:
Sgt. Largent":qp00umb9 said:
kearly":qp00umb9 said:
And I'm not really sure the press hated him all that much either, outside of a small handful of vocal popoffs. If the press hated him, then why did his podium dominate press traffic like we'd never seen before? Some press members may have been frustrated in the moment, but articles on Lynch have mostly been very kind.

Because it was a story, and the biggest story BECAUSE of how Lynch refused to talk.

It's a give and take, and Lynch never gave.........so IMO that doesn't help a borderline HOF player like Lynch. If he was top 10 in yards and TD's? Doesn't matter, but he's not.

I think most of them loved it. Even without him saying much, it got them clicks.

I'll always believe that it was never anything but a brilliant marketing trick by Marshawn. He got famous and all the street cred in hte world by not talking to the media. I'll never believe he had any big fear of speaking, or that he hated the media or anything, he used them... brilliantly. Its just as much part of his legend as Beast Quake is.

As for the Hall of Fame... i'm torn. I'd lean towards no, but I would be happy if he made it.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
I think he had HOF talent, but I don't think he did enough, long enough, to get in. I also think what hurt him was playing #2 to AP (in the stats) most of those years and especially his best one.

chris98251

Reaction score
Being number 2 with a Adrian Peterson in the league isn't a bad thing, especially when Peterson never had a QB really, Lynch played in a more balanced offense and still put up really good numbers. Peterson has had a situation similar to Barry Sanders, little supporting cast for much of his career. When he did have some the Vikings were almost unstoppable on offense.

onepicknick

Reaction score
Doesn't really Matter he's a HOF in my book and that's all that will count for me. Best Seahawks running back EVER

CDN_C_Hawk

Reaction score
I think another H.O.F. you can compare to is, Bettis. Even though Bettis played 4 years longer, if you look at the first 9 years of his career, they compare to Beastmode's... 4.4 yds/carry to 4.2 for Lynch, Bettis only had 58 rushing TD's and 3 rec TD's in the first 9 years, Lynch 74 rushing and 9 rec. Rushes over 50 yds, Lynch has 4 and Bettis 2.
Bettis in his last 4 years was used more as a goal line back and scored 38 of his rushing TDs in that period.

I really don't think Marshawn gives a shit about the H.O.F I just can't see him....standing up there talking into a mic for 20 minutes, but I think he should be inducted.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Hall of Fame is funny.

He won't be judged against RBs of the past, but of his era (last 15-20 years). In that, you would include an Emmit Smith (all time yardage leader), Tomlinson (TD record), AP (2000 yard season, single game record), Faulk, Terrel Davis (2000 yard season), Alexander (TD record, MVP, 5 TD game). How do his stats compare there? They also like those "seminal" athletes... ones who had an impact on the game beyond stats. What does Lynch bring? Statistically he is consistently in the top 1-3 in his prime. But his epic runs are still a part of any playoff our RB highlight reel.

I don't think these comparisons give Lynch a good shot. (once researched). It will come down to his impact on the game while he played it. Not sure its enough in comparison.

Lynch: 9000 yards, 74 TDS, 250 receptions, 1900 yards, 9 TDs
Davis: 16500, 60Tds, 169 receptions, 1300 yards, 5 TDs
Smith: 18000 yards, 164 TDs, 515 receptions, 3200 yards, 11 TDs
Tomlinson: 13000 yards, 145 TDs, 624 receptions, 4800 yards, 17 TDs

253hawk

Reaction score
No, but only because the NFL has been a passing league for the past decade, so it's extremely difficult to rack up the yards necessary before they hit that age wall at 30, unless they are Faulk-esque at getting some serious YAC catching out of the backfield.

If he had a few more years left in him and could avoid any further injury, probably.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
kearly":11v3rmkj said:
Does he belong? Definitely.

Will he get in? He won't be a first ballot guy, but he'll get in eventually I think. His stats are low end, but it's called the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of stats. There's too much NFL mythology and lore wrapped around him to not be in the HoF, IMO. Bevell calling that slant on the 1 yard line might have cost us a SB, but I think it cemented Lynch as an NFL legend.

And as mentioned by others above, Earl Campbell's career numbers are very similar to Lynch's, which is no doubt a case that will be made when Lynch's candidacy is debated.

Comparing Lynch to Shaun misses the point. Alexander was the beneficiary of the best offensive line in the NFL and a top ranked offense. Alexander was never really respected all that much during his time because of his rep for avoiding hits and being a finesse player. The opposite is true for Lynch. He had to produce behind mostly terrible OL play and fought hard for every inch, earning the reverence of NFL players across the league. When young RBs were asked who they wanted to be when they grew up, they said Lynch, not AP. Shaun never had anything close to that level of respect.

And I'm not really sure the press hated him all that much either, outside of a small handful of vocal popoffs. If the press hated him, then why did his podium dominate press traffic like we'd never seen before? Some press members may have been frustrated in the moment, but articles on Lynch have mostly been very kind.

I was just about to type something similar, albeit less articulate, than this.

He's just too damn famous not to be in the Hall of Fame. There has to be some other metric beyond yards and TDs. The Hall should be populated by the guys that we still sit around and talk about twenty, thirty years down the line, the guys that get us fired up and make us love the game. Lynch is (was?) undoubtedly one of those guys. The Hall of Fame is, or at least should be, for players like Lynch. Records go in the record book, guys like Lynch go in the Hall of Fame.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2xbmlxzk said:
Comparing him to Campbell makes me agree that he should be in there. I was on the fence, but that tipped the scales for me.

Lynch has a GREAT nickname Beastmode. He benefits from running alongside one of the best dual threat qb of all time. In his prime he benefited from zone read schemes and had the most opportunities of any back.

Earl Campbell was big (230-240lbs), mean and fast. He had huge thighs and was a shifty runner like Barry Sanders but a bruiser like Lynch without the bowlegged style. Some critics will contend that Lynch's yardage were impacted by RO gimmick schemes whereas Campbell's were not.

Tical21

Reaction score
Uncle Si":i0q7dmql said:
Hall of Fame is funny.

He won't be judged against RBs of the past, but of his era (last 15-20 years). In that, you would include an Emmit Smith (all time yardage leader), Tomlinson (TD record), AP (2000 yard season, single game record), Faulk, Terrel Davis (2000 yard season), Alexander (TD record, MVP, 5 TD game). How do his stats compare there? They also like those "seminal" athletes... ones who had an impact on the game beyond stats. What does Lynch bring? Statistically he is consistently in the top 1-3 in his prime. But his epic runs are still a part of any playoff our RB highlight reel.

I don't think these comparisons give Lynch a good shot. (once researched). It will come down to his impact on the game while he played it. Not sure its enough in comparison.

Lynch: 9000 yards, 74 TDS, 250 receptions, 1900 yards, 9 TDs
Davis: 16500, 60Tds, 169 receptions, 1300 yards, 5 TDs
Smith: 18000 yards, 164 TDs, 515 receptions, 3200 yards, 11 TDs
Tomlinson: 13000 yards, 145 TDs, 624 receptions, 4800 yards, 17 TDs
Yes, Si is on the right track. Lynch is near the back of a long line of RB's on the outside looking in, almost all of whom have better numbers than he does. Edgerrin, Gore, Fred Taylor, Corey Dillon, Shaun Alexander, Ricky Watters, Tiki Barber etc., all have better numbers than Marshawn, and I'd probably argue that none of them are HOF worthy. It has been a long, long time since somebody with Marshawn Lynch numbers got in the HOF. Hall of Very Good and Ring of Honor? Definitely.

I'm also of the ilk that the football HOF lets in way too many people as it is. There's going to be hundreds of people in he HOF soon. It's a little ridiculous. Baseball has it right. Jerome Bettis is not one of the best players ever to play the game. Sadly, either is Marshawn Lynch, and I don't think you're going to find a bigger Lynch fan around here than me.