Poll: Lamar Jackson in 2023

If Lamar Jackson hits free agency in 2023, what interest should the Seahawks have in signing him?

• 100% - Yes, of course! Do whatever you gotta do. Pay that man his money!

Votes: 8 7.6%
  • 75% - Sure. I'm down, but don't overpay and risk crippling the future.

Votes: 22 21.0%
  • 25% - Meh. Not much interest. Maybe at a decent price and all other options have been exhausted.

Votes: 29 27.6%
  • 0% - Nope, no chance in hell. Wrong direction.

Votes: 46 43.8%

• Total voters

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
And why? References:

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
1. Unanimous league MVP in 2020.
2. Pro Bowl in 2021, missing 3 games with injury.
3. He’s a winner. 35 wins before age 25. Most in NFL history.
4. Still only 25 years old.

I would definitely consider him on a 5-yr. deal, if the price is reasonable.

QWERTY

Reaction score

Define reasonable. Because a player like him , If I was the GM wouldn't pay more than $25mill per year.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score

I guarantee you he will get more than 25, if not from the Ravens, then from some other team. 35-45 is the market rate for a top-10 QB, which he is. If you could lock him in at 35 for 5 years, that would look like an absolute bargain in a couple years — the way QB salaries inflate.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Good lord.
Carroll couldn't figure out how to use Wilson as a QB.
You think he can use Jackson?
Carroll is a run-oriented coach. Jackson is the best running QB in the league. A run-oriented coach + run-oriented QB. A match made in heaven. I think Walker III is going to be a phenomenal running back. Add Penny and Jackson to that. Imagine the play-calling possibilities. Then, when they load the box to stop the run, that opens up the passing lanes for Metcalf and Lockett.

hawksincebirth

Reaction score
NO, HELL NO. Lamar will never be a legit tier one guy.
Plus it be about 200 million fully guaranteed plus some change. Hard pass

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
NO, HELL NO. Lamar will never be a legit tier one guy.
Plus it be about 200 million fully guaranteed plus some change. Hard pass
I agree Jackson is Tier 2. He will need to upgrade his passing accuracy and a couple other things to reach Tier 1. But he is only 25 and can still improve.

I don’t see any Tier 1 QB in free agency in 2023. Honestly, I will be surprised if the Ravens let him go, unless he is making a really ridiculous demand.

The Tier 2 QBs on a good team can — and have — won Super Bowls. Stafford is an example. And, yes, Tier 2 QBs do have $200 million contacts. Murray is the latest. I am proposing 175 over 5 years.

Where are the four guys who agree with me in the poll? Only the nay-sayers have showed up for the discussion.

Last edited:

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I think it's fair to say Russ wasn't a tier one QB when we won the SB. He was setting some rookie marks but that doesn't make him tier one at that time. Lots still don't give him that status because he has lost so many of the "big game" games. Same is true for Jackson, although him only being 25 is a strong point. Still, I think I'd rather bank on getting a stud in the next draft, or two.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
I think it's fair to say Russ wasn't a tier one QB when we won the SB. He was setting some rookie marks but that doesn't make him tier one at that time. Lots still don't give him that status because he has lost so many of the "big game" games. Same is true for Jackson, although him only being 25 is a strong point. Still, I think I'd rather bank on getting a stud in the next draft, or two.
Russ is still rated Tier 2 — at least over at the Athletic. As I said, you can win a Super Bowl with a Tier 2 QB. Taking Lamar in free agency gives you no worse than a Tier 2 for years to come with potential to improve. You can still draft a QB in 2023 and hope he develops into a stud. I’d rather draft a stud edge rusher with the first pick if we get Lamar in free agency. A guy like Von Miller. Let’s face it — the vast majority of first-round QBs end up Tier 2 or lower anyway.

Spohawks

Reaction score
My first thought was no but after thinking about it, I am in!

There is no guarantee those rookie QBs can play at this level. At least you know what you are getting in Lamar.

Its the NFL, he is a starting QB so he is getting a fat check regardless!

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
Only if we can sign him on a 1 year deal every year.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Only if we can sign him on a 1 year deal every year.
Never happen. Lamar is not a UDFA looking for a 1-yr. “Prove it” contract. He’s going to get a multi-year contract. Besides, I want a 5-yr. contract as “inflation protection “.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
My first thought was no but after thinking about it, I am in!

There is no guarantee those rookie QBs can play at this level. At least you know what you are getting in Lamar.

Its the NFL, he is a starting QB so he is getting a fat check regardless!
Bingo!

JPatera76

Reaction score
umm no.. i feel PC and JS aren't in "lets throw shit at the wall and see what sticks" for QB mode.. We'll get a QB in this next draft.

keasley45

Reaction score
Nope. Lamar is Russel Wilson-like. His game is HIS game and not the OC's. If he's not making plays with his legs or extending them so that the read of the field is a little easier, he's an average qb at anticipation and diagnosing coverages. You can't build an offense around that. And similar to Russ, when teams clamp down on the passing game, he doesn't possess the in pocket aptitude to overcome a defense. His window will be limited to how long his legs last and how long he can save himself from being destroyed while a runner.

We've been there and done that. Looking for a new book, not just another chapter in the one we had before.