Poll - Pay Russell #1 QB Money, or Nah?

What Russell Wilson option would you choose?

• He deserves to be the highest paid player in the NFL. Pay him

Votes: 42 14.7%
  • He deserves to be in the top 5 of QB contracts, but not #1 or #2

Votes: 199 69.6%
  • He is asking for too much, and needs to give a hometown discount

Votes: 8 2.8%
  • The front office should focus on Wagner and Sweezy for now

Votes: 17 5.9%
  • Make him play out his rookie contract and move on. Nobody is irreplaceable.

Votes: 20 7.0%

• Total voters

Rob12

Reaction score
HansGruber":3pz6niat said:
Russell Wilson will be the highest paid quarterback in the NFL. And he's earned it.

All this jibber jabber is just fodder from a media desperate to create a story during the off-season. The Seahawks will pay Wilson and they've been planning for it for 2 years already.

Anyone who suggests the Seahawks would let him walk shouldn't be taken seriously. No way Schneider let's that happen. No way. Zero chance.

I know some big time Wilson fans. I happen to be one of them. He's my favorite player to ever don a uniform. That's an indisputable fact.

But I'm getting tired of this. It's all well and good to root for him to be the highest paid QB ever. He has earned it. But if the reports are true and him and his agent want Paul Allen to set a new precedent in how guaranteed money is handled, my level of respect for RW will drop. This isn't baseball and if he's trying to set a new standard, I think his priorities are misplaced. He talks a good game. I saw his interview on SC tonight and the one thing I took away from it is that RW is being a bit fake right now. Id respect him so much more if he just came out and said that he's trying to set a new standard in how NFL contracts are negotiated. I think at this point, that's a fair assumption to make. The Seahawks ARE willing to pay him what he's worth, but if he's trying to blaze a new trail then I think he's barking up the wrong tree as that is not how the Seahawks conduct business.

I am a diehard RW fan, but above all I am a Seahawks fan. RW said in the interview tonight that it's about the guys he plays with. And I can't help but believe if that were true, I mean really, really true, a deal would have been struck by now that is beneficial to both sides. But this "why not me" attitude has made it so that RW has put himself above the team. It pains me to say that, but the Seahawks have a healthy track record of heavily rewarding their guys. But yet, RW still stands here without an extension and makes comments how he has moved around before and he's not afraid to do it again.

The more I think about it, the more I'm good with the Hawks making him play out his rookie deal and hen tagging him when need be. Get Wagner locked up and control what you can control. Don't bend the entire philosophy of what you've built for one guy. Even a player like RW, who holds a near and dear place in my heart.

erik2690

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3luhpdcu said:
What I hate about this whole negotiation process is how childish Wilson is being. He is not handling himself in a professional manner. Call me old school, but negotiations are something that is supposed to be done behind closed doors, I hate how Wilson and his agent are approaching this whole situation.

What has he really said though about the actual negotiating part? He's just kept repeating that it will sort itself out and that he'll be ready to play no matter what happens with the contract. You can argue there have been subtle hints like people say his tweets are commentary, but has there been much more than that? Was there much dissent on Lynch, I feel like there wasn't. The dude is awesome, but if we're going to hold a line on how you deal with money situations he was very open and even withheld services while under contract. I feel like you might think more has been said because there's just 12 stories a day, but I'm not sure how much has really been said. People didn't like the 'I've moved around before' line, but he said that way back at OTA's and seemed like nothing besides that I genuinely can't think of much he's said.

erik2690

Reaction score
Rob12":3lzv394r said:
and makes comments how he has moved around before and he's not afraid to do it again.

You are making that sound way more dramatic than it was. I hope you listened to that interview and if you did I'm not sure how you heard it that way. He was purely saying that no matter what happens he believes he can be successful. I mean he literally said this same line 2 weeks earlier in OTA's and followed with 'I've had enough moving around'.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
I think he's worth it but I don't think he will get it. Because quite frankly, I don't think he's asking for it

StoneCold

Reaction score
Have never seen so may adult, male panties in a bunch than I have over this contract negotiation. I love the way people get all riled up over rumors and speculation about what Russell has asked for and what is motivating him.

It's a negotiation. How much should he be asking for? Something more than the Hawks are offering seems reasonable. Something north of Rogers whose contract was from a few years ago. Inflation? Add in some future inflation. 25 mil is not out of line as a starting point for a negotiation.

People really should separate the business side from the sports fan side. Relax, there is no boogie man and no deadline.

EDIT: Just read some responses to Rodgers 40 mil tweet. Fan's turning on Russell over this negotiation makes me ill.

SC

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Truth. People acting like this guy is ARod is embarrassing. Whatever gets you thru the day. When he signs, the SAME people will be back in his corner. He hasn't done a thing wrong.

BadgerVid

Reaction score
StoneCold":3dcmnxo9 said:
Have never seen so may adult, male panties in a bunch than I have over this contract negotiation. I love the way people get all riled up over rumors and speculation about what Russell has asked for and what is motivating him.

It's a negotiation. How much should he be asking for? Something more than the Hawks are offering seems reasonable. Something north of Rogers whose contract was from a few years ago. Inflation? Add in some future inflation. 25 mil is not out of line as a starting point for a negotiation.

People really should separate the business side from the sports fan side. Relax, there is no boogie man and no deadline.

EDIT: Just read some responses to Rodgers 40 mil tweet. Fan's turning on Russell over this negotiation makes me ill.

SC
To be fair (though I also get irritated with the RW bashers), the numbers at the top of this thread say 85%are on board with good money for him and one more believes he should get #1 money than are ready to move on.

The bashers are just more vocal about their opinions.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":1trnalpz said:
TheRealDTM":1trnalpz said:
It's speculation obviously but if RW thinks the hawks should be greatful to him for the 1 superbowl win and not the other way around he's next level bonkers.
Russell Wilson is already the best quarterback this franchise has ever had.

He plays against better, more complex defenses than Krieg, Zorn or Hass ever did, has a higher career passer rating behind a horrible pass blocking line and with mediocre receivers.

And he can run.

We're all lucky he's our QB.
I dunno Sac if he faces better or complex but I do know the rules today enhance everything.In the 70's/80's he likely wouldn't make it half of season due to the brutal shots he would take running like he does.There was no slide and above shoulder hit protection,I miss those days..

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Okay, so IF These rumors are true?, it pretty much comes down to whether PA decides to give Wilson an unprecedented super deal (which I doubt he or ANY other owner would agree to, maybe it's time for Wilson to re-assess his options, and maybe he already has decided to gamble on himself with playing out his final Year of his contract, with a Lloyds Of London insurance policy in place, should a cheap shot take him out of the competition.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":32fzh0rh said:
Am I the only fine with tagging him next season?

Paying him 25 million to prove that you're serious about not paying him 25 million doesn't make much sense, particularly when you consider:

1) that's real money for the year, not backloaded, fake APY money.

2) After that year it's basically untenable to franchise him again, meaning that Wilson gets more than he could have hoped for in that year, and also is a FA after that year.

The only upside IMO is the Hawks gets another season to evaluate what Wilson's true value is for them, but I think they already know that.

When his player and his agent aren't worried about minimizing risk (which Wilson and his agent don't seem to be, and why most players sign extensions before their deals are up or sign long-term before actually playing on the franchise tag -- they're trading decreased income for decreased risk), the franchise tag isn't the team-friendly bargainning chip that it's intended to be.

BuZzB28

Reaction score
Yes. Pay him the top. He is best for early for three years. He is all good than all rookies qb! He got a championship and smart a QB for winners games. He is important his team and good leader for us!