Poll - Pay Russell #1 QB Money, or Nah?

What Russell Wilson option would you choose?

• He deserves to be the highest paid player in the NFL. Pay him

Votes: 42 14.7%
  • He deserves to be in the top 5 of QB contracts, but not #1 or #2

Votes: 199 69.6%
  • He is asking for too much, and needs to give a hometown discount

Votes: 8 2.8%
  • The front office should focus on Wagner and Sweezy for now

Votes: 17 5.9%
  • Make him play out his rookie contract and move on. Nobody is irreplaceable.

Votes: 20 7.0%

• Total voters

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Here is the basic problem I have with it.... I have NEVER believe any SINGLE player is worth commanding 1/5 of the Salary of the entire team. Not Brady, not Rodgers, not Manning and so on. Therefore, I do not believe he should be paid that much.

Wilson's comments recently are starting to become disingenuous as well. The statement he made about being able to move on sounds eerily similar to Bruce Irvin saying he wanted to play in Atlanta on his next contract. Now he's backpedaling the same way Irvin did.

I don't know man... I almost wish w didn't know any of this when it comes to player contracts. Just get it done and announce it once it's done. No comments other than that. Ignorance is bliss.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":cd12ut8a said:
Without Russell this team can go 9-7 with a competent QB but won't sniff the playoffs just like the Buffalo Bills last year. The Buffalo Bills were the #2 defense DVOA and were close to being number #1 by a few points. You need a good Franchise QB to get to the playoffs.

Ok contract issue aside, don't act like Tom Brady, Big Ben, and Aaron Rodgers never benefited from a top defense to win them a Superbowl. Aaron Rodgers won his Superbowl with a #2 Defense in 2010, he also had the #2 defense in 2009 and lost to the Cardinals in the NFC Championship game, but what all those guys shown is that they started with really good defense and then when their defense plummets they still had a QB that could contend for the Superbowl year after year.

I'm ok with whatever the FO decides because in the end it doesn't affect my life.
And how many times have each of these QB's won a superbowl since they received their big contracts? After Brady, Big Ben, and Rodgers got signed their defenses slowly got dismantled. Brady won a superbowl this year, yes, but his cap hit was only around 15 million. He signed a generous team friendly deal in 2013.

Now, my question is -- how good could Wilson be if he had to pick up the slack? His efficiency numbers are nice, but I have a sneaking suspicion that they are the result of the offense he plays in. He avoids throwing into tight windows, and unless his receiver has a step or two on the DB he generally doesn't like to throw it. He is able to get his receivers separation through his incredible scrambling abilities. If he had to pass 500+ times a year he wouldn't be able to play like he does now. If he had to become the driving force of the Seahawks he would have to throw into those tight windows, he would have to exploit the middle of the field, and he would have to get his timing and rhythm passing down.

What I'm saying is, I do not think he would be very good in this role. I think he would be very boom and bust, very good one weak, can't move the ball the other.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3sq6gdri said:
theincrediblesok":3sq6gdri said:
Without Russell this team can go 9-7 with a competent QB but won't sniff the playoffs just like the Buffalo Bills last year. The Buffalo Bills were the #2 defense DVOA and were close to being number #1 by a few points. You need a good Franchise QB to get to the playoffs.

Ok contract issue aside, don't act like Tom Brady, Big Ben, and Aaron Rodgers never benefited from a top defense to win them a Superbowl. Aaron Rodgers won his Superbowl with a #2 Defense in 2010, he also had the #2 defense in 2009 and lost to the Cardinals in the NFC Championship game, but what all those guys shown is that they started with really good defense and then when their defense plummets they still had a QB that could contend for the Superbowl year after year.

I'm ok with whatever the FO decides because in the end it doesn't affect my life.
And how many times have each of these QB's won a superbowl since they received their big contracts? After Brady, Big Ben, and Rodgers got signed their defenses slowly got dismantled. Brady won a superbowl this year, yes, but his cap hit was only around 15 million. He signed a generous team friendly deal in 2013.

Now, my question is -- how good could Wilson be if he had to pick up the slack? His efficiency numbers are nice, but I have a sneaking suspicion that they are the result of the offense he plays in. He avoids throwing into tight windows, and unless his receiver has a step or two on the DB he generally doesn't like to throw it. He is able to get his receivers separation through his incredible scrambling abilities. If he had to pass 500+ times a year he wouldn't be able to play like he does now. If he had to become the driving force of the Seahawks he would have to throw into those tight windows, he would have to exploit the middle of the field, and he would have to get his timing and rhythm passing down.

What I'm saying is, I do not think he would be very good in this role. I think he would be very boom and bust, very good one weak, can't move the ball the other.

And yet Brady just won last year and his defense was rank #12. Aaron Rodgers if it wasn't for what had happened would of been in the Superbowl instead of us.

I respect your opinion on Wilson even though I disagree with it. I have a sneaking suspicion as well that he would do wonders in a pass heavy team. Would that get him into the Superbowl, who knows, but if he's playing in the AFC he would tear that division up. You probably don't take stock in that he's played in the toughest division for the past 3 years. Who cares if he isn't throwing in the middle of the field. You would think by now that they should be able to stop Wilson and in 3 years teams haven't been able to. If Graham becomes the threat in the middle of the field then people will just say Wilson is only good because of Graham, doesn't matter because Wilson by most won't get credit for anything he does. Wilson will be the first to say it's all him when things don't go right.

Wilson wants to stay here long term, just because he said he's moved around now ya'll making him look like he don't care. All he is saying is that he's been through stuff before and moving around won't affect his play, you guys read too much into everything, one slight of some negativity and all of sudden it's off with his head. I love the Seahawks but some 12s are starting to live up to the stereotypes that other fans are calling us and it's true.

Sure it's a team sport, but in the end it's also a business. Why not ask for what you can get, it's not like the Seahawks have to say yes we will pay that price, they are working on the correct number and it's a back and forth thing.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Wilson is starting to feel the pressure of actually having to play without a contract . So thus we have more stuff being made public . I still believe when all is said and done he will sign for around 22 mill a year, he has way to much to lose. I'm not at all convinced he can walk onto another team and have the success he's had in Seattle either. His only leverage is holding out and they took that off the table , he will sign if not he better pray he doesn't have a down year or an injury. I just don't see him taking that risk.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
My daughter tells me that Wilson is the host of the 2015 Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Sports awards. Pay bump?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
LymonHawk":hdu43eok said:
scutterhawk":hdu43eok said:
Spin Doctor":hdu43eok said:
the NFL is fluid, teams change each year. The Seahawks in 2012 were a different team than they were in 2011. Did Wilson add some wins? Absolutely, was he the only reason why the Seahawks improved from 7-9? No.

To the question about whether Wilson added some wins, I agree that the answer is yes, AND in fact, I believe that it's Wilson's near 900 Yards that has put the Marshawn's "Run First Offense" to the top of the heap, and got us into the Playoffs.
There are too many wishy-washy, fickle, and ungrateful fans around here that are trying to downgrade what Wilson has added to the success of the Seahawks, because he wants to get paid.
This old crap about "The Seahawks Made Russell Wilson A Success", is a damned joke.
The Seahawks NEEDED a Quarterback that could HELP Cable's running game and to become one of the best ever, and he did exactly what they needed him to do, NOT the other way around.
Is he asking for way more than he should?, he very well could be, but trying to strip him of his contributions to the success of the team, is crap.

So if I disagree with you I become a "...wishy-washy, fickle, and ungrateful fan..."? LOL!

I'm ungrateful because I don't want to have RW's love child? What can I tell ya.... :roll:

Twist the gist all you want :roll:
I don't care if some of y'all don't consider him the best player in the League, that's not what my point was, but it IS disingenuous to downgrade his play, because that's a lame argument.
Didn't call you wishy-washy, fickle, nor ungrateful, but I can't stop you from trying on those shoes (taking it personal)
It's like the pricing of a car, if it's your car, it's the best damned car on the market, and worth every penny Your asking, but if it's someone else's car? it's the biggest piece of shit on the lot, and you start poking holes in their asking price by downgrading.
If Wilson were to agree to a top five/eight Quarterback deal, everybody would be giving him a big thumbs up, because then he'd not be considered quite so greedy.
Maybe Wilson should just let the fans set the bar, as they think they have his skillset graded out to taking a lot less money, and be more team/CAP friendly?
Kinda like the same crap they were spewing about Shaun Alexander.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Hey Kearly, you done with the offseason yet? Just curious given your current stance about my attitude. Come hit me with something real already.

I'm kind of dissapointed in you given you keep falling back to DVOA and statistics. That isn't how the dance works when we're talking quarterbacks, especially elite types.

I'm perfectly willing to listen to whatever argument you have that proves he isn't ...36-12, 5-1, 1-1....argue that, because agreement might take a lot more evidence. So bring it on because I'm bored with this offseason already. Overused but still perfectly usable despite your opinion.

Just pay the man his money and move on already. Unless you think he's Alex Smith like Popeye Jones seems to posit. Remember this though, I see that loser on a weekly basis and yes, he does in fact suck.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
BadgerVid":3kyeptzy said:
ctrcat":3kyeptzy said:
New Conor Orr article. RW asking for $30 mil per for 6 years? Ho. Ly. Sheet. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... or-russell

Actually, he quotes one "contract advisor" as saying that is what Wilson "likely" wants...but I guess that is not near as much fun to post for some people.

I know I read the article as well, this is a high stakes dance with both sides trying to get the upper hand. I suggest everyone try and remain calm for now. If he still hasn't signed when training camp officially starts then it's time to be concerned.

HansGruber

Reaction score
Blah blah blah.

Russell Wilson is the best quarterback the Seahawks have ever had. Russell Wilson took Seattle to 2 of Seattle's 3 SuperBowl appearances of all time. Russell Wilson is the only Seattle QB to ever win a Superbowl and will be the only Seahawk QB in the HOF when he is inducted the first year he is eligible.

The Seahawks will pay Russell Wilson, and he will be the highest paid player in the NFL, or very close. And it will be the best signing in the history of the Seattle Seahawks.

AVL

Reaction score
Another elitist pollster failing to put

None of the above

as the final option.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Palmegranite":1ujkww93 said:
Popeyejones":1ujkww93 said:
StoneCold":1ujkww93 said:
What do you think the Hawks' record would have been if Wilson missed the entire season? .
4-12 and wallowing at the bottom. Without Wilson, more of the same for many, many years to come.

Those are not my words. You misquote and impugn my integrity sir! Take it back or we must duel at sunrise.

SC

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
I wonder if this standoff would have been avoided by tearing up Wilson's rookie contract for the final year at 1.5 million? They have the opportunity to do it for Wilson but are unwilling to set a precedence. Given the current rookie scale Wilson is being HOSED big time.
You figure he made 2.9 million so far and will make 1.5 million this year.
RG3 who played much poorly has made nearly 20 million so far and will make 3.5 million in 2015 then $16 in 2016.
For Russell to even get close to those earnings he must have a substantial raise in 2015 NOT just get a signing bonus or up front money from an extension (which reduces future earnings).

Seahawks has a chance to do right but Wilson probably feels they let him down. If Seahawks feel they must play by NFL owners rules by not making a change to the rookie structure then Wilson is in his right to play by their rules and force a BIG PAYDAY via franchise tags and free agency.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":kg8i9ayf said:
I wonder if this standoff would have been avoided by tearing up Wilson's rookie contract for the final year at 1.5 million? They have the opportunity to do it for Wilson but are unwilling to set a precedence. Given the current rookie scale Wilson is being HOSED big time.
RG3 who played much poorly has made nearly 20 million so far and will make 3.5 million in 2015 then $16 in 2016.
For Russell to even get close to those earnings he must have a substantial raise in 2015 NOT just get a signing bonus or up front money from an extension (which reduces future earnings).

Seahawks has a chance to do right but Wilson probably feels they let him down. If Seahawks feel they must play by NFL owners rules by not making a change to the rookie structure then Wilson is in his right to play by their rules and force a BIG PAYDAY via franchise tags and free agency.

He is being "HOSED" by turning down a rumored $30+ million signing bonus this year with close to $22 million per year in new money? :pukeface:

LymonHawk

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":4a1zopti said:
Hey Kearly, you done with the offseason yet? Just curious given your current stance about my attitude. Come hit me with something real already.

I'm kind of dissapointed in you given you keep falling back to DVOA and statistics. That isn't how the dance works when we're talking quarterbacks, especially elite types.

I'm perfectly willing to listen to whatever argument you have that proves he isn't ...36-12, 5-1, 1-1....argue that, because agreement might take a lot more evidence. So bring it on because I'm bored with this offseason already. Overused but still perfectly usable despite your opinion.

Just pay the man his money and move on already. Unless you think he's Alex Smith like Popeye Jones seems to posit. Remember this though, I see that loser on a weekly basis and yes, he does in fact suck.

Whoa! Didn't you just recently, as a Mod, threaten members of this board for calling out posters on the main forum?

Mojambo

Reaction score
I believe in Russell Wilson's drive and ability to improve more than any athlete I've ever watched.

I'd pay him top money because of that fact alone.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3flpd987 said:
Russ Willstrong":3flpd987 said:

He is being "HOSED" by turning down a rumored $30+ million signing bonus this year with close to $22 million per year in new money? :pukeface:

I won't believe any of the so called rumors yet, the only one i think is true is that Wilson wants to be the highest paid player and I think every NFL player would love to be.

I've already stated that before the superbowl last year there were already three rumor articles in circulation. "Seahawks to make Wilson the Highest Paid Player in the NFL", "Seahawks to give Wilson a fully guaranteed contract", "Seahawks will give WIlson $120 million) all those rumors before he even played in the Superbowl. Now there's more rumors because none of those came true. News media will keep guessing until one of them gets it right.

Overseasfan

Reaction score

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
What I hate about this whole negotiation process is how childish Wilson is being. He is not handling himself in a professional manner. Call me old school, but negotiations are something that is supposed to be done behind closed doors, I hate how Wilson and his agent are approaching this whole situation.

Latest posts