Poll: Pete- A great motivator or A great coach? **from 2017*

Poll: Pete- A great motivator or A great coach?

• Great motivator

Votes: 27 57.4%
  • Great coach

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Both

Votes: 17 36.2%

• Total voters

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2d7tcu8s said:
Of course he's both.

You don't become one of the greatest college and pro coaches of all time without being both an innovative coach and motivator.

My issue with Pete is he's stubborn to a fault, he's not willing to tweak his schemes and philosophies to continue to evolve and win. The last two years it's evident that the league has caught up to what we're doing, on both sides of the ball...........and we no longer can just overwhelm and push teams around because we have superior athletes.

And that there is the big difference between Belichick and Carroll. Pete's style worked fine with young and hungry players, now they are older and very rich. Yet Pete does not adapt, lets Cable and his crap ZBS (and incompetent talent eval) continue the madness, and everyone is held to the always compete standard except coaches (those in charge). Players are now wising up, and it's getting ugly.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
I found this thread that was created almost 4 years to the day. I was (and others) questioning Pete’s football decisions even back then. What has changed?

Nothing.

The definition of insanity folks....

Ownership needs to step in and hold folks accountable and work with the team management to turn this ship around. Pete should stay but needs to be held accountable and force him to change the way he’s doing things.

Go Hawks.

NJlargent

Reaction score
Neither needs to be an option.

Not a great motivator. We were flat and uninspired yesterday.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
Pete has had the same problems even back when we went to the Super Bowl twice. His instincts/decision making during a game have never been anything but horrible.

He has never been good at managing an actual game. He has always called timeouts at bad times, he has always been suspect about when to challenge, he has always been poor at managing the clock. Remember back when we used to trot out all of our trick plays back when we were up 20 points for some reason but never ran them in situations where they might actually help us turn around a game we were losing?

This is who Pete has always been. I mean, I can't think of a coach who is better at recognizing talent and harnessing players emotions, but during an actual game? There are probably decent High School football coaches who'd be an improvement on our sideline. (And that might sound like hyperbole, but I really mean it.)

John63

Reaction score
I went motivator as I think to be considered a great coach you need to either me really good on both sides or have really good assistants on both sides that you allow to do their jobs. PC is horrible on offense and refuses to let his OCs do their jobs

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Great motivator. Great program builder. Great at identifying talent and understanding how to use it.

But abjectly terrible in Xs and Os. One of the worst gameday coaches in the NFL.

Abjectly terrible at picking coordinators.

And his message/energy that he conveys to his team has a shelf life. Initially, they all buy-in and ready to run through walls for him. (See Dunlap and Adams recently). But over time key players tune it out.

He is one of the best at building and stocking talent in a roster in the NFL. He finds players with key weaknesses and then puts them in situations to maximize their strengths while diminishing the need for the areas of their weakness. Almost unrivaled in maximizing the value of individual players.

At the same time, that skill is not applied to the roster as a whole. He struggles to address weaknesses in the roster. Will attempt to force game plans that regardless of fit to his team as a whole, or regardless of how well the opponent would matchup.

Tends towards simplistic gameplans, fails to adjust, and often will force a gameplan that is not working out of either sheer stubbornness or inability to think of an alternative. Easy to adjust to and anticipate for opponents. Predictable and almost pedestrian in terms of complexity in tactics.

2 large flaws hold him back.

1 - History of squandering talent

2 - History of hiring and keeping substandard coordinators.

We have had him for near a decade. We should know exactly what he is. Anyone that followed USC before (ie most Husky fans) should be familiar with the issues. He will build incredible rosters that look like worldbeaters against 3/4 of the competition. Then he will generally fall short when talent levels are near even and faced with better coaches.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
3rd major flaw. Inability to admit his many minor flaws and delegate areas where he is clearly weak to people more qualified.
4th major flaw - either unwillingness or inability to adapt/evolve in a league that continuously adapts and evolves. This is Belicheat's biggest strength (besides lack of morals allowing him to push cheating so far.)

NJlargent

Reaction score
Neither needs to be an option.

Not a great motivator. We were flat and uninspired yesterday.