Poona Ford “nearly unblockable against the Vikings”

Fade

Reaction score
Jimjones0384":1juufmp9 said:
With McKissic probably starting on pup, I think it will open a spot for Poona. They may even cut Madden to keep him, or something like that, if they have to. He is too unique, and way too good to let go. He, like Green, have dominated their first three games of preseason. People say, "Yeah, against backups." Yep, and like when a great team plays bad team's, you want to see them dominate. It's one thing to play to the level of your opponent, a whole different thing to dominate. No way Poona makes it to ps. This draft and udfa class is going to be great.

McKissic cannot start on the PUP.

They can

1) Carry him on the roster, and leave him inactive until he gets healthy.

2) Place him on IR.

3) Waive w/ injury designation.

On to the D-Line.

It would be a huge mistake to cut Poona Ford. You don't let good D-Lineman who will cost next to nothing for the next 4 yrs walk out the door. You find a way to keep those guys. I am sure they will.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
kf3339":31ooiuaj said:
MontanaHawk05":31ooiuaj said:
Ford may be ultimately auditioning for another team. None of Johnson, Stephen, Reed, Jones, or Jefferson are going anywhere. Stephen, maybe (and now of course everyone will want him gone now that I've said that), but that DL is set and I doubt Poona makes it through to the practice squad.

Tough decisions to make, but for once, it feels like we have the pick of the litter at this and other positions (WR, for example).

They have Jefferson as a DE on the depth charts, not DT. So add Ford to the DT rotation and move Jefferson to the DE group and we are good to go.

At DE we already have Clark, Green, Martin, and Jacksen. If anything, NorthDallas40oz's blurb about Poona having a coaching connection makes me think Jacksen might be the one cut to make room - just kinda spitballing to see who's seemingly been quietest on this roster so far.

cheese22

Reaction score
sutz":16ttcpvc said:
Ilinoiseyhawk":16ttcpvc said:
Dude's a beast. Wasn't he a combine snub?
I know he was a UDFA.
Goes to show what all those measurements mean. He probably didn't get the invite because he only has one measurement (wingspan) that is of note.
When you are the DL of the year in any big 5, you can play.
The best measure of potential to me is...game film.

kf3339

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1t2cxsh9 said:
kf3339":1t2cxsh9 said:
MontanaHawk05":1t2cxsh9 said:
Ford may be ultimately auditioning for another team. None of Johnson, Stephen, Reed, Jones, or Jefferson are going anywhere. Stephen, maybe (and now of course everyone will want him gone now that I've said that), but that DL is set and I doubt Poona makes it through to the practice squad.

Tough decisions to make, but for once, it feels like we have the pick of the litter at this and other positions (WR, for example).

They have Jefferson as a DE on the depth charts, not DT. So add Ford to the DT rotation and move Jefferson to the DE group and we are good to go.

At DE we already have Clark, Green, Martin, and Jacksen. If anything, NorthDallas40oz's blurb about Poona having a coaching connection makes me think Jacksen might be the one cut to make room - just kinda spitballing to see who's seemingly been quietest on this roster so far.

They have Martin listed as a LB. Not DE. I believe they did the same with Walden.

I see the final DE/DT as all your original guys in both posts and adding Ford. So that is Johnson, Stephen, Reed, Jones, Ford, Clark, Green, Jefferson and Jacksen. Donte will either stay on PUP, or they will activate and probably let Jacksen go.

Martin and possibly Walden will be listed as linebackers. At least that is how I see it going.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
kf3339":209kqo32 said:
MontanaHawk05":209kqo32 said:
kf3339":209kqo32 said:
MontanaHawk05":209kqo32 said:

They have Martin listed as a LB. Not DE. I believe they did the same with Walden.

Website roster has him as a DE. But hey, again, I'm all for Ford finding room.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Ford is my adopt-a-rookie, so of course I'm hoping he'll make the team. I see him as a real difference-maker - the sort of guy who can turn 7 into 3, or get us off the field on 4th-and-short.

Carroll loves special players - the ones who you have to actually look at instead of just reading the numbers - and Ford is definitely one of those.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Poona Ford is my adopt A Rookie. They better NOT cut him! That would be a Tom Cablesque type move.

For a while, Pete and John went away from their philosophy and started hanging on to players too long, paying them too much instead, of rotating in high-side, low cost rookies.

They are moving back to that philosophy, so I'm hopeful that they keep Poona, who has done nothing but excel on the defensive line and prove that measurables can't be used to exclude everyone.

Pete...John...DO NOT CUT POONA FORD! Or the Ghost of John Randle and Geno Atkins will haunt you. :evil:

(After they're dead)

Seafan

Reaction score
Jimjones0384":k1i0qjh0 said:
With McKissic probably starting on pup, I think it will open a spot for Poona. They may even cut Madden to keep him, or something like that, if they have to. He is too unique, and way too good to let go. He, like Green, have dominated their first three games of preseason. People say, "Yeah, against backups." Yep, and like when a great team plays bad team's, you want to see them dominate. It's one thing to play to the level of your opponent, a whole different thing to dominate. No way Poona makes it to ps. This draft and udfa class is going to be great.

McKissic can't go to PUP. He may go to IR but I think they just keep him on the roster with the health history of the RBs.

I expect Madden to get waived but the Hawks might look for a veteran FB after week one.

Perhaps Dickson (TE) starts off on PUP which would save a roster spot 7 weeks or so. It would be nice to know if he can still play and if he's healthy this week they may activate him.

A lot of decisions to make at DB.

WR is going to be interesting. I wouldn't be surprised by any moves there.

I think the team may still look for an OT after cut down. They need to keep Jones on the 53 before they move him to IR so they may have to waive Battle which could be risky. But there's probably someone else out there they may like better.

kf3339

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3bxr5fsx said:
kf3339":3bxr5fsx said:
MontanaHawk05":3bxr5fsx said:
kf3339":3bxr5fsx said:

Website roster has him as a DE. But hey, again, I'm all for Ford finding room.

Yep, my bad. But this site and another I watch closely had him at LB. No matter. Still believe he will make the 53.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
I like Ford but I don't know how they keep him, certainly not over Jefferson who can stuff the run and get to the QB . I would probably cut Johnson if I was convinced Poona is the next Mebane but I doubt they will do that.

Tical21

Reaction score
They're keeping Poona. Gonna have to keep 5 DT or cut a guaranteed vet to do it, but you don't pass on a cheap, rookie DT for some middling veterans.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Tical21":31clv0zk said:
They're keeping Poona. Gonna have to keep 5 DT or cut a guaranteed vet to do it, but you don't pass on a cheap, rookie DT for some middling veterans.

Yeah, but this isn't a case of that. This is a case of passing on a cheap rookie DT who impressively pushed around some 2nd-string camp bodies for some solid veterans who have shown they can handle first-stringers. Stephen and Johnson are looking like good pickups in the vein of Tony McDaniel or (dare I say it?) Clinton McDonald.

Bob Condotta mentioned that they might just go with five linebackers to make room. Might not be terrible given they don't play three LB's on every down anyway.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
It’s a 50-50 proposition. Stephen has looked incredibly dominant against first teamers. And he has the length to play outside in a big 5T role if they decide to go in that direction. Johnson and Jones are the 3Ts. Reed has been quiet this preseason, like a lot of the big name defensive veterans (Wagner, Wright, Clark, etc.), but he’s a lock. It’s just a question of whether they decide to keep 5 DTs this year. I hope they do, but they have a track record of waiving UDFA rookie DTs who break out in the preseason.

ivotuk

Reaction score
hawknation2018":33c69nz3 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/PFF/status/1035252574386053120[/tweet]

Damn Straight! Poona has got "it" He's not as vocal as Randle, but I believe he's got the potential to play like him.

toffee

Reaction score
On goal line short yardage, like to see Poona gets the ball and punch it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seahawker

Reaction score
A little love for UDFA Poona Ford, the 2017 big 12 conference defensive lineman of the year had four tackles against the 9ers. Nice addition to the Hawks with a bright future.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Happy I was wrong and he got kept. Needs to keep getting time.