Pre-season "Dogs"

xray

Reaction score
i dont care about pre season wins....what I do care about is that BOTH lines look average at best ....allowing big runs up the gut by the D....and the same lame red zone offence....looks like another year with lots of field goals....coach Carrol shouid be worried about a blowout loss @ the Vikings which if it happens will put a lot of doubt in the players minds....Ive been a fan since the very beginning.....I would be thrilled with an 8-8 season..they won't stink but they won't shine either...just a very average football team .

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
drama town
I can see it the morning after the game...... If they play well: It's only pre-season. If they play average or bad: 4 win season coming :?
Regular Season is all that matters. We all look at it our own way, cool. Go Hawks

mistaowen

Reaction score
Pre-season isn't a metric that defines the regular season, especially when you have guys like Russell who are looking to fine-tune. It's all about situational football and seeing what the newer/fringe players do. Starting offense has been moving the ball in a newish offense that I'm sure is still being rolled out. Not scoring TD's against the Chargers sucked but they were in position to and will now review all aspects of why they didn't... from play calls to situational match-ups and individual performances. Teams that brag about meaningless pre-season wins against vanilla schemes typically don't do well when it matters.

The defense is certainly something to be a little concerned about but for the first time in forever, guys are getting shots at starting jobs. It's a new look and will take some time - throwing the guys into the fire now is the best way for them to learn.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
We got used to our 2nd and 3rd stringers dominating in the pre-season. You can see the depth isn't near what it was in the past. But, a lot of opportunities for these young guys.

Jville

Reaction score
Adding my 2 cents on the purpose of pre-season .......

The goal of pre-season and training camp is to assemble a team. It's a process that builds on what was learned the previous day ..... every day. The gathering of information. A lot of experimentation and mixing and matching of personnel and plays that suite them. The work load of the process varies with the rate of player and staff turn over.

By way of example, here is how Brian Schottenheimer described one segment of the offense during his August 22, 2018 press conference >>>
(On plays at the goal line) “Yeah, absolutely. The first play was kind of a design fault on our fault as a staff. It wasn’t a very good design. We tried to ask Duane (Brown) to do a really tough block on the backside, but for sure. This is when you kind of find out. You find out, like on the short yardage the week before, we found out that we can do it. Goal line, you don’t know how many goal line snaps you’re going to get in the course of, certainly in a preseason but even in the regular season. It’s like sixteen. (We’re) not discouraged. Again, (Melvin) Ingram made a really good play. We got a little bit of penetration but it doesn’t change the thought process of how we want to play the game when we get down there.”

The joy of pre-season is found in focusing on the process and it's evolution.

nrayorr

Reaction score
OK, it seems that a lot of people have their nuts**cks all caught up in winning preseason games. It's like many here have alluded to already. Preseason games are for the following (just to name a few):

1. Evaluate talent in real game situations (first and foremost)
2. See how offensive and defensive plays work against opponents and allows coaches to practice the art of making adjustments if needed.

There are many more I am sure, but these two seems to me to be the biggest of the reasons for preseason games. I could care less if we go 0-4 in preseason play.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I don't care about the record.

Only things I care about:

1. Injury free? Yeah we've been good there thus far
2. Depth evaluation. Years past our depth would thrive. This year it isn't. This team doesn't have a lot of quality depth.

Otherwise not much to take away from this. The team kind of looks like we'd expect it to at this point. Young. Still looking for who might flash as playmaking talent. Thing is, Sherman, Chancellor and Thomas didn't flash that either in their inaugural preseason either.

This team has to find it's own identity. Alpha personalities on the defense have been jettisoned this year. New players still trying to imprint their brand on the game. Definitely we are seeing the blueprint we're going with offensively. Actually excited to see how that unfolds once real games start.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":3l32faik said:
1. Injury free? Yeah we've been good there thus far.

Other than Baldwin, Maxwell, Penny, Jordan, Prosise, Clark, Battle, Jones, Sweezy, McKissic, Dickson and Darboh?

OP
OP
B

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
nrayorr":16d90hlg said:
OK, it seems that a lot of people have their nuts**cks all caught up in winning preseason games. It's like many here have alluded to already. Preseason games are for the following (just to name a few):

1. Evaluate talent in real game situations (first and foremost)
2. See how offensive and defensive plays work against opponents and allows coaches to practice the art of making adjustments if needed.

There are many more I am sure, but these two seems to me to be the biggest of the reasons for preseason games. I could care less if we go 0-4 in preseason play.

Based on how our Defense plays....you may get your wish!

olyfan63

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":2f669xww said:
I don't care about the record.

Only things I care about:

1. Injury free? Yeah we've been good there thus far
2. Depth evaluation. Years past our depth would thrive. This year it isn't. This team doesn't have a lot of quality depth.

Otherwise not much to take away from this. The team kind of looks like we'd expect it to at this point. Young. Still looking for who might flash as playmaking talent. Thing is, Sherman, Chancellor and Thomas didn't flash that either in their inaugural preseason either.

This team has to find it's own identity. Alpha personalities on the defense have been jettisoned this year. New players still trying to imprint their brand on the game. Definitely we are seeing the blueprint we're going with offensively. Actually excited to see how that unfolds once real games start.

Amen bro, on the defense, and finding its identity. It's fascinating seeing the defense so discombobulated pre-snap, so late in the count, guys moving around, guys barking at each other to try to get signals straight and on same page, more guys slapping D-Line players asses to change their gap alignment, etc., way more seeming *chaos* presnap than I can ever recall seeing, even for preseason games. I suppose it's all the new players, and making reads, and sorting out leadership and "defensive QB" responsibilities. And this comment applies to the 1's, 2's, and 3's, though the 1's of course are smoother overall.