Pressure is on Russell Wilson

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
seahawk12thman":1fpf7ixd said:
This isn't just preseason; this extends back to Green Bay, New England and Dallas. Those teams were able to shut us down. Give me a game where Wilson has shredded a team primarily from the pocket?

Do you know what his stats are from the pocket versus out? If you did you wouldn't be trying to make this argument. Wilson is a dual threat. Do you know what happens when you dedicate someone to spying Wilson? Do you really think it took 3 years for teams to figure out Wilson and plan for him? They have been spying him since year 1.

I don't want to get a forum ban so I will refrain from posting my thoughts on your OP. :pukeface:

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
My problem with Wilson's approach to playing QB is that it makes him a boom or bust passer. There is no consistency to his game. This doesn't make him a bad passer, it just makes him frustrating to watch sometimes. If he had to march down the field on a consistent basis I don't know if I would trust him. I feel like his scrambling routine also throws off his accuracy if it becomes prolonged. I feel like in order to take his game to the next level, he needs to learn how to be be more effective from the pocket.[/quote]

Over the last 3 years he has one of the best passer ratings in the What are your expectations for a QB? They don't' seem realistic.

JimmyG

Reaction score
hawker84":3vcsjbji said:
For everyone of these plays where he runs himself into trouble, there's ten where he makes an amazing play during the scramble. give me a break.
Did you even read my post, or was your thought process "uh oh, I detected that could possibly be perceived as a negative against Wilson -- better come up with a straw man retort to defend him?"

For christ's sake, I clearly said that "running around is one of Wilson's strengths" and that "his instincts are generally great", I'm just pointing out that if Wilson gets sacked or starts running around, people automatically assume it's the offensive line's fault.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
seahawk12thman":ae44xdge said:
The abysmal blocking of Jimmy Graham

IMO you might as well just learn to live with it. For a veteran player like Graham it's just a waste of resources (in draft capital, salary, and practice time) to bring him in and try to make him into someone he's not. Graham is who he is, and he's exceptional at what he does.

seahawk12thman":ae44xdge said:
The horrible accuracy of Russell Wilson....

Not something I'd worry about too much. Wilson's accuracy has always been oddly streaky (only odd because overall his mechanics are really consistent and good). On balance he's a pretty accurate passer, just streaky, and you're just seeing some of that streakiness in limited pre-season snaps. Remember too that Wilson and the Hawks offense more generally tend to come out a bit cold, and in the pre-season he's out of the game before when he (and the offense) more usually start to heat up.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I would like to see Russell's completion percentage go up this year, I think he was #20 last year?

Granted 25% of his throws are him throwing the ball out of bounds because he's running for his life, but still, that number needs to get better.........and I think it will with a better receiver corp.

SeaChase

Reaction score
It's very simple, RW needs to get the ball out quicker. People say that the WR are never open yet I see him missing open targets often. Even in the video above Turbin gets open as RW is scrambling for his life. 3 seconds and the ball should be out.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^ To some degree it's the cost of doing business for his style of play. He gets into the low-mid 60s consistently because the Hawks do a good job protecting him with gimmie step-and-throw plays, but overall, given how much he runs around improvising and trying to make something happen, I think 63-64% completion percentage is actually really impressive. That a lot of those are him wisely just throwing the ball away (rather than going full Favre and thinking no window is too small for him) brings his completion % down but actually makes him a better player, IMO.

SirTed

Reaction score
I know it's only preseason, but the fact is - the guy has missed some alarmingly simple throws. He hasn't looked sharp. I'm not saying that that wont change, but he has done nothing to reassure anyone who has even the slightest doubt about his game.

Me? I want to love RW. He does a lot of things that are great, and gives me a lot of reason to love the guy (as a player). But I don't think anyone would deny that there are those times that he is extremely frustrating. It kills me that he's so incredible at extending plays, but struggles to deliver on a simple drop back.

Being able to run the read option is going to help. How much? I'm not sure. I hope a lot. I'm also hoping that Bevell is saving some of his great Graham plays for the regular season. Don't get me wrong, Graham is great, but I'm more concerned with usage, and getting him to spots that Russell will see him, and be able to deliver the ball.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I am definitely looking for Wilson to take a step forward. There are a lot of plays he leaves on the field -- almost as many plays that he just invents with this creativity and quality.

It's not that he's 'bad'. Not at all. But it's more about consistency. Not merely being a wizard at creating opportunities where there is none. But more taking what's available.

This is where the question of where Wilson fits amongst the league best resides. Eye test -- whatever metric -- he doesn't exploit avenues where gains should be made like the league's best are expected to. Now even the best miss opportunities in every game. But Wilson seems to miss out on them in large batches. His accuracy hasn't suffered as it otherwise should because he is so talented at extending plays and salvaging those missed opportunities with a positive gain on the ground or a completion later.

His quality masks this shortcoming.

This offense is going to evolve from one predicated on a dominant and elite RB to one predicated on a QB. Doesn't mean we won't run the ball. But the salary structure already is putting that into effect. The lack of successor to Lynch is foreshadowing that. Our ability to compete effectively in the near future will be based on Wilson's quality. Not on Lynch.

So yeah, there is pressure on Wilson. But it's future pressure. Not this year pressure. Seattle has made the investment in him. This teams' fortunes offensively are going to rise and fall with him getting to that elite level. Not the 'questionably' elite level. He is going to need to be as high quality at his position as Lynch is at his. And he has the opportunity to get to that level. If he begins to increase his effectiveness and consistency and begins to complete passes to NFL open receivers, while maintaining his innate creative abilities, I think he can definitely put himself in the undeniable top 4 stratosphere.

Hawks46

Reaction score
There's no doubt that there is more pressure on Wilson this year with the new contract. There's a few things that keep Wilson from being really consistent (and even then for as young as he is, he's still doing pretty well):

Offensive Line: Inconsistent pass blocking leads to inconsistent QB play. I mean, it's not even always consistently bad. So, when Wilson does have time, he's missing a 2nd or 3rd read and people are pointing at it and going "look ! look ! he missed a guy", but the previous three pass plays, somebody got blown up and Wilson didn't have the time he had on that last play. Couple that with the fact that it's not always the same guy: people sing Sweezy's praises all the time, but about 25% of the time, the guy just gets totally blown up in pass pro. Britt was consistently bad, and even Okung has his moments. I honestly don't know how you do it....one play you have 1.5 seconds, the next play you get 4 and you have to figure this all out while watching 4 guys get covered by 5-6 guys and all on the run.

Wilson's style of play doesn't always lend itself to being consistent. On one play, he escapes a jail break and looks like a boss doing it, the next play he thinks he feels pressure and rolls out for no reason instead of climbing the pocket. Like Tical said, it's possible that he relies too much on his athleticism. Which is pretty much the criticism for any athletic QB. He's young, and if we can get some consistent pass protection I think he'll learn from it.

New Receivers: He's getting used to new guys. The only guys he really knows are Baldwin and Kearse, and Kearse is inconsistent himself. I think Graham mitigates some of this, and chemistry works itself in.

His height. Seriously, it will affect him. There are just some things he can't see that a 6'4" guy can. This also lends itself to my 2nd point. Sometimes Wilson is escaping the pocket just to be able to see, I theorize.

The good thing is that you don't get to where Wilson is without being supremely driven. He also doesn't have a problem shouldering blame and responsibility and with his work ethic, he'll most likely always be looking to improve.

OP
OP
seahawk12thman

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":2s3ibbf7 said:
seahawk12thman":2s3ibbf7 said:
This isn't just preseason; this extends back to Green Bay, New England and Dallas. Those teams were able to shut us down. Give me a game where Wilson has shredded a team primarily from the pocket?

Are you cereal?

So now he has to shred teams from the pocket in order to be the man here? Thats not the player he is. Get over it. He is not your prototypical pocket passer. He gets it done in other ways.

Uh Yes. Teams are going to give him all day to throw but they are not going to let him leave the pocket. It will also leave one less man in coverage. We have seen this now. I thought what another poster said in here was interesting. You usually need two high quality starters to be effective from the Pocket. I believe we have two possibly three (Lockett, Graham and Baldwin). He is going to have to prove he can get it done in the pocket in this league. 5'10 is still 5'10 no matter how many reps, pushups, retreats, and film study sessions there are. It is a challenge for Drew Brees and he is 6'0. Regardless that will be the book going forward and we'll see how he responds.. :th2thumbs:

c_hawkbob

Reaction score
seahawk12thman":1leq2ub2 said:
Tech Worlds":1leq2ub2 said:
seahawk12thman":1leq2ub2 said:

Are you cereal?

So now he has to shred teams from the pocket in order to be the man here? Thats not the player he is. Get over it. He is not your prototypical pocket passer. He gets it done in other ways.

Uh Yes. Teams are going to give him all day to throw but they are not going to let him leave the pocket. It will also leave one less man in coverage. We have seen this now. I thought what another poster said in here was interesting. You usually need two high quality starters to be effective from the Pocket. I believe we have two possibly three (Lockett, Graham and Baldwin). He is going to have to prove he can get it done in the pocket in this league. 5'10 is still 5'10 no matter how many reps, pushups, retreats, and film study sessions there are. It is a challenge for Drew Brees and he is 6'0. Regardless that will be the book going forward and we'll see how he responds.. :th2thumbs:
Have you ever seen him have all day to throw?

OP
OP
seahawk12thman

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
Anthony!":1ekbfp72 said:
seahawk12thman":1ekbfp72 said:
After reading about the Hawaii trip and looking at his body of work for the last five games (NFC Championship and Super Bowl included), It is of my opinion he is going to be tested like he never has before. The book is out on him. Teams are going to put a spy at the Linebacker position and maintain gap integrity with him. It is obvious that Wilson can complete the bomb from the pocket and is deadly when you give him space outside the pocket but, imho, he has yet to prove he can be a reliable pocket passer.

Let me put this disclaimer that I am a Wilson fan. I admire what he does off and on the field. I respect what a man does, not what he says. He words can ring hollow but if he is a man of substance, that has value in my world. I hope he succeeds, but I think his height may come back to bite him. Watching the tape of the Super Bowl, there were intermediary routes that were open and Wilson didn't pull the trigger or couldn't find them (Your guess is as good as mine). He seems almost nonchalant about his struggles ("We will be just fine") in the preseason but there is a pattern going on here. There hasn't been room to run and he isn't accurate in the 10-20 yard range. Quick sideline outs he has had success but over the middle he has failed miserably.

Reading in between the lines the Hawaii trip was a outlet for the defense to vent. When the Hawks went up 24-14 and forced New England to two drive stalling punts, they expected the offense to step on their throats and put the game away.. The more I have watched the tape this preseason, two things have stood out to me.

The abysmal blocking of Jimmy Graham

and

The horrible accuracy of Russell Wilson....

This has been the biggest drive killing stalwarts.

I hope I am wrong but I must say I am a little nervous.

Okay so his last few games well in the last 10 games that matter he has had a QB rating under 90- only 3 times. As to the Hawaii trip if you want to make up that the defense vented fine then I can make up the offense vented since it gave the defense a 10 point lead with 9 minutes to go. As to the rest again preseason were they work on things, since you have no clue what he is working on you have no clue what is what. AS to the supposed routes that were open, yeah ahh no, one more time, it does not matter if they are open right away of they are #3 in his progression, and are covered when he gets to them, it also doe snot matter if they are open after their place in his progressions, and of course it really does not matter if they are open on 3rd and 10 for 2 yards when we need 10. None of these things can be told form watching video. So once again lots of conjecture here, nothing to worry about...yet

Not sure what I made up, two seahawks said that in the interviews unless you think they are lying. There were anonymous sources talking mess about the offense after the superbowl, pretty simple deductions. Not sure why this was a difficult conclusion to come to?

OP
OP
seahawk12thman

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
themunn":1modkcqh said:
seahawk12thman":1modkcqh said:

And Dallas? We've played 15 games since then. That's ancient history in the NFL. The Dolphins and Chiefs were able to absolutely shred the Patriots last season. How did that work out for the Patriots?

As for the other two games. Yes, Wilson had a bad game in the NFCCG, but so did Aaron Rodgers ("bestest QB ever"), much of the bad play came down to bad weather, poor receiving and general bad luck (2 interceptions off of Kearse drops).

Importantly, when the game was on the line, he was able to overcome this - something most QBs can't.

And while we started really slowly in the SB, Wilson didn't play badly at all.

You also realize that for some stupid reason Clay Mathews was taken out on the last drive of regulation when the Hawks took the lead. When he left, Russell ran the read option and had a full playbook in which to work with. I have no idea to this day why Green Bay did this. May have cost them a superbowl appearance.

OP
OP
seahawk12thman

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
c_hawkbob":wfwoefpd said:
seahawk12thman":wfwoefpd said:
Tech Worlds":wfwoefpd said:
seahawk12thman":wfwoefpd said:

Are you cereal?

Have you ever seen him have all day to throw?

Super Bowl XLIX.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SeaChase":28exq5d1 said:
It's very simple, RW needs to get the ball out quicker. People say that the WR are never open yet I see him missing open targets often. Even in the video above Turbin gets open as RW is scrambling for his life. 3 seconds and the ball should be out.

Gotta take the good with the bad. For every 2nd or 3rd time he holds onto the ball too long, there's are times he holds onto the ball, scrambles and completes am explosive play downfield.

Russell's got as high of a football IQ and instincts as any QB in the league, so it's hard for me to criticize his decision making.

Rocket

Reaction score
Hawks46":15bg8wds said:
His height. Seriously, it will affect him. There are just some things he can't see that a 6'4" guy can. This also lends itself to my 2nd point. Sometimes Wilson is escaping the pocket just to be able to see, I theorize.
While a blind person born with sight will struggle to see, a person born blind won't miss what they've never seen.

Likewise with Russ, he doesn't struggle with his height because he's always been this way.

mrt144

Reaction score
The search for the mythical perfect QB continues unabated.

OP
OP
seahawk12thman

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
Rocket":1jqbnegl said:
Hawks46":1jqbnegl said:
While a blind person born with sight will struggle to see, a person born blind won't miss what they've never seen.

Likewise with Russ, he doesn't struggle with his height because he's always been this way.

I can use your argument against you. He has also been able to use his athleticism to make throwing lanes that weren't there. What if the blind person loses the ability to hear all of a sudden. He will have to do something consistently that he has never done before. That is a problem most of the time!!!