Protection

kidhawk

Reaction score
adeltaY":84o4r19i said:
hawknation2018":84o4r19i said:
kidhawk":84o4r19i said:
adeltaY":84o4r19i said:
Correlation does not imply causation, especially over a three game sample size. There is no evidence over a large sample size that rushing efficiency correlates with improved pass protection. If there is, I'd love to see it and concede I am wrong.

Are you trying to say that a good running game doesn't change the way a defense acts/reacts at the line of scrimmage? That it in know way alters their pass rushing scheme?

It sounds like that is what you are saying, and if so, I couldn't disagree with you more. Teams with a good run game cause defenses to be on guard at all times for the rush. It keeps them from being able to pin their ears and go hard after the quarterback on most plays. This, in and of itself will show a statistical decline in pass rushing for a defense, which in turn shows pass rush improvement for the offense. It's precisely why I believe we need to continue a strong running game. Without it, Wilson is a sitting duck.

This.

It makes sense logically and is conventional wisdom but I haven't seen any evidence that it's true overall. It certainly doesn't have an effect in third and long or any obvious passing down.

It's like saying running the ball early and often wears down a defense and leads to longer runs later in a game. It makes sense but the data doesn't support it.

You're right, it really doesn't change the pass rushing/blocking for obvious passing downs like 3rd and long. Many times we saw ourselves in this situation and saw Wilson running for his life. The run game helps keep you from being in as many of these situations though when it's successful which in turn gives them fewer opportunities to go all out in the pass rush and forget the run which gives the QB just a little more time before the pressure hits.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
PFF still hates the Seahawks offensive line, but they don’t say why (other than posting a lot of “average grades” for everyone except Duane Brown):
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/p ... e-rankings

#7 in pass blocking efficiency, after having faced some of the best pass rushers in the NFL through these first five weeks, and putting up some impressive rushing numbers over the last three weeks to rise to #8 in rushing yards. Yet, OL remains ranked #29?

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
hawknation2018":1cxy6ggh said:
PFF still hates the Seahawks offensive line, but they don’t say why (other than posting a lot of “average grades” for everyone except Duane Brown):
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/p ... e-rankings

#7 in pass blocking efficiency, after having faced some of the best pass rushers in the NFL through these first five weeks, and putting up some impressive rushing numbers over the last three weeks to rise to #8 in rushing yards. Yet, OL remains ranked #29?

29th? Please. Worthless stats. The OL is clearly improving. I would put them 15th-18th which is a HUGE improvement.

hawk45

Reaction score
What I saw vs the Rams, if they get no better, is far above the bar to clear for OL to enable a championship IMO. Go back and watch past years and the pass offense (and run but that's a different topic) were a no-op against any team with a good DL esp the Rams.

Goff had all day because our pass rush left in the off season and because mcvay was taking our lunch money with his play calling and the D had no idea what was going on as evidenced by wide open receivers nearly every completion.

I honestly think our OL does just as well if they were transplanted to St. Louis. Maybe a tick worse in pass pro that doesn't matter because gurley rushes for 200 yards behind them.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":cfmipckd said:
The Rams hold like bitches and it never gets called. Watch their games if you can and concentrate on the oline.

Goff had enough time to eat a sack lunch when he went back to pass because it seemed that there were two Offensive Lineman for every Seahawk rusher. When there are two on one it is easier to camouflage holding.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Aros":j7o0drd2 said:
Rewatching the game, one thing stuck out more than anything to me.

Quarterback protection.

While I do believe our OL is making huge strides, especially in the running game, there was still a stark difference between Russell Wilson's time in the pocket on throwing downs versus Goff's.

I think I could count to 6 Mississippi almost every time Goff went back to pass. Clean pocket most the day.

Russ? One Mississippi, Two Missis...Oh shit....

Could it be more about the poor quality of the Seahawks pass rush against the Rams O-line than it is about the lack of protection of the Seahawks O-line?

Frank Clark sick all week. Rasheem Green not playing. Dion Jordan just back from an injury and maybe not 100%. No decent SAM linebacker... and so on. Versus a Rams lineup that possesses some of the best D-linemen in the league. Of course there's gonna be a disparity.

adeltaY

Reaction score
The Rams OL has stonewalled everyone they've played, including a very talented Vikings front, albeit without Everson Griffen. They might be the best in the league