Pryor doesn't know how to catch

seedhawk

Reaction score
He went to "The Ohio State University". Catching is not on their class list!

HawkWow

Reaction score
Being a lifetime Hawk fan, I hope Jake Locker is reading this thread. He may learn he actually does have a future in the NFL. It just won't be at QB.

Asking a QB to just up and switch positions, and compete against players who have spent a lifetime honing their craft, would be like asking an MMA guy to step into the ring with a professional boxer.

Not singling anyone out here, this is deep into the offseason and thoughts like this are just harmless fun, but how many QBs can you name that have succeeded with such a transition and did so at 25 years of age?

Randle El and that slash dude...Kordell Stewart don't count because they were Steelers. Pittsburgh plays a rapist at QB, so playing a QB at WR isn't that big of a deal. Yes, Steeler Hines Ward was also a QB, but that was college where several others (like Eric Crouch) had less success once in the NFL.

OP
OP
T

Throwdown

Reaction score
I think people forget just how old 25 is in the NFL, I think Pryor is pretty much set in at QB, as is Locker. Locker would be the perfect TJack replacement though next season.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
HawkWow":26f6uxq6 said:
Being a lifetime Hawk fan, I hope Jake Locker is reading this thread. He may learn he actually does have a future in the NFL. It just won't be at QB.

Asking a QB to just up and switch positions, and compete against players who have spent a lifetime honing their craft, would be like asking an MMA guy to step into the ring with a professional boxer.

Not singling anyone out here, this is deep into the offseason and thoughts like this are just harmless fun, but how many QBs can you name that have succeeded with such a transition and did so at 25 years of age?

Randle El and that slash dude...Kordell Stewart don't count because they were Steelers. Pittsburgh plays a rapist at QB, so playing a QB at WR isn't that big of a deal. Yes, Steeler Hines Ward was also a QB, but that was college where several others (like Eric Crouch) had less success once in the NFL.
Not enough facets with this diamond, and not enough value to progress past mediocre............waste

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I can show him in about 2 seconds.

But...considering how awful he throws, maybe he just hasn't seen that many actual catches in person.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Throwdown":12gss78m said:
Catching is hard to do, ask Koren Robinson, Keary Colbert, and Darrell Jackson in 2003 and 2004.

FYI KRob was a converted running back. He did have a great season at WR before moving on to the NFL.
Ethan Horton was 6' 6" QB who converted to running back and eventually to TE for the Raiders. The Raiders also did a good job of converting Ronald Curry from QB to receiver. Anquan Boldin was a QB his first two seasons at FSU and Hines Ward played some QB. It can be done but the player has to want to play football.

OP
OP
T

Throwdown

Reaction score
brimsalabim":hmkibkjq said:
Throwdown":hmkibkjq said:
Catching is hard to do, ask Koren Robinson, Keary Colbert, and Darrell Jackson in 2003 and 2004.

FYI KRob was a converted running back. He did have a great season at WR before moving on to the NFL.
Ethan Horton was 6' 6" QB who converted to running back and eventually to TE for the Raiders. The Raiders also did a good job of converting Ronald Curry from QB to receiver. Anquan Boldin was a QB his first two seasons at FSU and Hines Ward played some QB. It can be done but the player has to want to play football.

All those conversions happened in college though, the dude is 25 how much time realistically do you think Terrelle Pryor has in the NFL? This isn't a quick switch and poof he's a contributing WR, that kind of thinking is stupid, this isn't madden stuff doesn't happen magically.

I don't care how much of an "athlete" someone is, some things just aren't as easy to pick up as other things.

Jville

Reaction score
Existing "real world" Seahawk example.

Phil Bates ..... converted dual threat quarterback. Still working (3rd year) at claiming a spot on the 53 man roster as a receiver. Hasn't happen yet.

Background >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.profootballweekly.com/prospects/player/phil-bates-5/[/urltargetblank]

OP
OP
T

Throwdown

Reaction score
And bates probably won't make the team this season, this is probably it for Phil.

TXHawk

Reaction score
There's a big difference between playing catch with a football and catching a football in the heat of battle during an NFL game. Most WRs in the league have spent years and 1000s of reps honing their catching and route running skills. Pryor would be starting essentially from scratch.

This is probably the deepest group of WRs the Seahawks have brought to camp during the Carroll era and they will have to make some tough decisions at cut time. They don't need or want a 25-year old project WR on the roster in the final year of his contract. Pryor was brought here to compete for the backup QB position and he'll either make it or not at that position.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
The dude reminds me of that dude we had at Linebacker... Julian Peterson? Freakish athletic ability, but not much of a brain.

OP
OP
T

Throwdown

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":1za0g3ps said:
The dude reminds me of that dude we had at Linebacker... Julian Peterson? Freakish athletic ability, but not much of a brain.

Peterson was pretty bad ass though.

Curry on the other hand was a freak but couldn't play worth a lick.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
seedhawk":19jcdlpr said:
He went to "The Ohio State University". Catching is not on their class list!

True....Catching is on their Bucket List. :mrgreen:

HawkWow

Reaction score
I think some took Pryor's comment too literally. It's likely Pryor catches the ball better than any of us in this forum and probably better than most HS receivers. Of course he can catch the ball, what he's saying is he's not an NFL receiver, and while I'm not a fan, I don't see his very frank, honest comment as anything resembling selfishness.

It's QB or bust for Pryor in the NFL. Again, he can blame the vested one (Tressel?) for this. Having a natty is awesome but it won't supplement a lavish lifestyle. Washington, not Seattle, is the place for Pryor to compete. JS, the shark, should have no problem talking Snyder into giving us Cousins and 2 #1s for him.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Mike Rob converted from QB to FB, but it took him a few years to really get it down. And as we've seen, the FB position is kind of dying off. Asking a QB to convert to WR is harder. It's not just catching. Pryor might be able to do it, but it would take years. He's 25 now. If the plan was to convert him to another position, that should have started the moment he left college.

Seaswab

Reaction score
Listening to that interview with Softy, Pryor seemed to get butt hurt for no reason.

DJrmb

Reaction score
I used to think similar to a lot of others. Things like moving Pryor to another position was the goal/key. And that it was kind of a waste of a pick. However he's growing on me. I don't think it's beyond believable at all that we'll keep 3 QB's this year and continue to groom him as a fantastic future backup to Wilson once TJack's deal is up or a potential trade chip.

RENTON – Terrelle Pryor arrives at the Virginia Mason Athletic Center at 6 a.m. on weekdays. He meets every morning with the Seahawks’ most famous early bird, starting quarterback Russell Wilson, and they watch film, critique each other and begin a daylong series of challenges.

As they walk onto the practice field, they quiz each other on formations, on how to react during different situations, on how to accomplish that day’s objective. You’d think they were brothers if there wasn’t such a stark contrast in height (Wilson: 5 feet 11; Pryor 6-4) and status (Wilson: The Man; Pryor: to be determined).

Wondering how Pryor is handling his new, under-the-radar assignment with the Seahawks? Well, the fact that he’s attached himself to Wilson says everything. He’s learning plenty. And he’s contributing to Wilson’s efforts to get even better.

“We definitely think alike, in terms of hard work,” Pryor said. “Russell’s a great guy, a very friendly guy, a great person to be around. We’re beyond watching tape of the Green Bay game (the season opener). We’re already looking at division games. I love the way he prepares. We’re pushing each other.”

Like Wilson, Pryor often stays in the quarterback room until 7 or 8 p.m., putting in consistent 12-hour days in the offseason. He still has an enormous task making the roster of a reigning Super Bowl champion with a star starting quarterback and one of the league’s best backups in Tarvaris Jackson. But Pryor isn’t approaching this challenge like an entitled person. He’s a big name who has been through a lifetime’s worth of trials already, and he’s humble enough to fight for his place in the NFL.

If you thought he would come to Seattle spoiled or disillusioned, then you should take another look. There’s Pryor, leaning against a wall, arms crossed, smiling wide. He comes across as charming, intelligent, perceptive and, especially, focused.
http://seattletimes.com/html/jerrybrewer/2023884462_brewer20xml.html

Basis4day

Reaction score
DJrmb":2a9vbibo said:
I used to think similar to a lot of others. Things like moving Pryor to another position was the goal/key. And that it was kind of a waste of a pick. However he's growing on me. I don't think it's beyond believable at all that we'll keep 3 QB's this year and continue to groom him as a fantastic future backup to Wilson once TJack's deal is up or a potential trade chip.

All this trade indicated was that Pryor on the team for one year was worth the cost of 3 years of an unknown 7th rounder. That isn't a wasted pick.

Pryor's is only signed through the next season, the same as TJack. Pryor would need to agree to a new contract to be a long term backup to Wilson. This alone makes it extremely unlikely that a position switch is coming and why we're only hearing that he will be a QB and not a converted WR. Ask yourself what is more likely after this year from a business standpoint, "Can Pryor can make more money as a backup QB or as a project WR?"

Trading that pick doesn't bother me because there is a very high likelihood that that pick would have been cut anyway to trim down to 53. PC/JS have had great success in the later rounds, but any player the team keeps has to be at the expense of one of the players currently on the roster.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
This article just makes me confirm my opinion of the trade for Pryor in the first place, I'm confused.

Why trade a draft pick for a QB that's going to have a VERY hard time beating out T-Jack for the backup job if you're not going to develop him into something else?

Dude has mad skills, but all we've heard is "he's here to compete for the backup QB position, period."

He's younger and makes less? Idk, T-Jack is steadier, more accurate, and his teammates LOVE him. So yeah, head scratcher from the beginning for me.