• Both

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Probably neither

Votes: 5 12.5%

• Total voters

amill87

Reaction score
253hawk":1dgai655 said:
PS4 will also have Infamous: Second Son as an exclusive. Why is that cool? It's set in Seattle and it looks amazing.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/08/ ... ns-seattle

Oh wow that's pretty cool they choose Seattle. Infamous has always been a pretty solid franchise. Sony has really put in the effort to grow quite an impressive array of developers with many people think is the best out there right now in Naughty Dog leading the pack.

I've owned both consoles and have both consoles die on me. I've learned to accept that sometimes that stuff happens so I'm not gonna base decisions off of that but at my core I've always been a Sony guy. So getting the PS4 was a no brainer.

I've gotten a couple hours with my PS4 now and it's definitely pretty cool. The new UI (which has a lot of features down ATM) is awesome and it's crazy how fast you can switch around behind games and other stuff. Making videos and being able to share them within 30 seconds is a nice touch. Adding in the ability to do ustream and twitch videos is kinda cool. It's always fun watching people play and if they have a camera you get to see their faces when they mess up which is always hilarious.

The controller is a masterpiece. It's just the right weight, the new triggers/analog sticks feel awesome, and the touch pad (it's a pad not a screen) is cool but probably under utilized with the launch games.

I picked up killzone because it's the only true PS4 game (other than Knack which is a bit more of a family game) and it is gorgeous. I will probably be picking up AC4 soon and Madden after that.

I also am fighting with myself on getting a vita as a compliment to the PS4. Being able to remote play just sounds really cool and I am already a PS plus member and PSN puts out some awesome free games every month (something microsoft failed at in the past, maybe that changes now). Problem is I know I will barely ever use a portable gaming device.

I know this post is kinda all over the place and I have more to say but don't wanna type it out right now. I will say all in all, Sony has appeared to learn from their mistakes with the PS3 (lower prices and heavy focus on game developers) where Microsoft has tried to push the boundaries and almost appears to have regressed. I'm sure the xone will be a good console but at this moment unless you really love Halo, I see no reason to not choose the cheaper, more powerful console with a much stronger game developer team behind it.

253hawk

Reaction score
Really loving it so far. Other than PSN getting hammered and having trouble logging on for a bit, it's been perfect. Some people have had troubles right out of the box though; it's unclear if it's an HDMI port issue or just the HDCP. There's also been rumors going around about some assembly workers sabotaging some of the system, but they haven't been substantiated yet. It'll be interesting to hear what Sony finds out what the problem is, but at least it's not a thermal issue. The design is simple enough that I'm guessing it's either a bad batch of components or just production related.

The DS controllers have never really say quite right in my hands, going all the way back to the PS1. They just feel a touch small and I don't like where the left analog stick is; I think the 360 controller was perfect except for the d-pad. I'm sure I'll get used to the DS4 eventually though. Glad they got rid of the dumb analog buttons and redesigned the triggers. The touchpad and little speaker are really cool, too. You can plug in any headphones and get direct sound from games or Netflix. Still wish I could swap the batteries out though.

MS started doing two free games a month that you get to keep forever, even if your gold sub expires. Nothing too great so far but there's been a couple of fun titles. Can't wait to see what Sony comes out with though...Resogun is really fun. It's like Defender and Geometry Wars had a baby in the TRON universe.

Sony's wisest move was dropping the Japanese ego about their design philosophy and letting Mark Cerny from Naughty Dog go to developers and gamers and ask them what they wanted. Now they've got a killer system that is flexible and easy to design for. MS went the other route and tried to make the Xbone what the PS3 was (it only does everything.) There's nothing inherently wrong with the system, it just seems targeted at too wide of an audience right now. The only exclusive that looks any good is Titanfall, but the sequels might be multi-platform anyway. I do love Forza though, hopefully Sony has Gran Turismo ready by next summer.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Thanks for the updates 253 and amill87, I appreciate it.

I'm so tempted to buy one, but I also need to build a PC and I know my GF would be pissed if I came home with a $400+ machine haha.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
nategreat":qudwqu4w said:
RolandDeschain":qudwqu4w said:
Sony is more trustworthy in terms of not wanting to screw their customers over as badly. Makes it a simple choice for me.

And here I was thinking you were just a PC gamer!

I am. I'm also sick and ******* tired of not having Madden available for PC for what feels like a billion years now. It's very possible that if I buy a PS4, I won't buy any game for it but Madden, ever. Pathetic that I have to buy a $400 console just to play a $60 game on an inferior gaming platform, but whatever. I don't have a choice, unfortunately. Kiss my ass, Electronic Arts.

TriCHawk

Reaction score
Man, I was gonna hold out until Feb to get a PS4, but I just got a tacit ok from my wife to get one for myself for xmas. I only plan on getting BF4 (which I already have for PS3... so $10 upgrade), and probably Madden. So tempting to get one now. But part of me says hold out and let everyone beta test first.

253hawk

Reaction score
Out of the 1 million+ units shipped so far, there's been a reported <1% failure rate which is pretty damn good considering the volume shipped.

If you're curious about seeing it in action, in real-time, head over to http://www.twitch.tv/directory to see people streaming straight from their console. Some people have better quality than others due to bandwidth, but it should give you a pretty good idea.

BF4 is complete garbage as it has so many problems with it across all platforms but particularly PS4 (and probably Xbone this weekend,) so don't get one right now if that's the only title you're eyeing. EA was trying to blame Sony's 1.50 firmware for all of the freezes and crashing, but they've since retracted that statement since no other developers have reported such problems. Hopefully they get some fixes out soon but it's virtually unplayable for a lot of people. I picked up CoD: Ghosts, Assassin's Creed 4 and Madden. Enjoying all of them so far. I've heard lots of good things about Need for Speed as well.

TriCHawk

Reaction score
That's a bummer to hear. I've been playing BF4 on PS3 for a couple weeks now, and it does have some issues. I will say in BF3 I'd have a game freeze on occasion... like, 1 out of 100 games would freeze my PS3. BF4 on the other hand it's about 1 out of 10 games, and it seems pretty glitchy.

Madden is the only other game I'd think about. Done with CoD. MW3 was the final straw for me.

At the earliest, I probably won't get a PS4 until about the day after xmas. If not then, then I'll get one in Feb with my annual bonus (unless we switch to Jelly-of-the-month Club), and hopefully they'll have all that crap fixed by then.

253hawk

Reaction score
Yeah, waiting until tax time is probably best as there will be more titles out to buy/rent by then. Shouldn't be any supply issues by then either although Sony is doing everything they can to crank them out for the hoildays.

Ghosts is actually a lot more like MW2 (probably my fav in the series) than anything else in the series. It's just more COD, but it's among the best. I am kind of burned-out on FPS's though. How many thousands have come out since Wolf3D...it's a genre milked completely dry.

I haven't played Madden too much yet, but it's the best they've put out since they abandoned the PC. Coach/owner modes are as deep as NCAA and MUT is really fun.