Put a check mark next to it

AgentDib

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2cm8budj said:
Cable didn't invent the zone blocking scheme, it's basic principals have been around since the 50's. It wasn't until Shanahan and Alex Gibbs took it to the next level back in Denver's heyday that people started copying it.........and Cable is one of those disciples.

Now you can blame Cable for bringing in scrap heap free agents and low round draft picks because he thinks he can mold them into quality starters.
I don't think you can separate these two areas given that the point of zone blocking is the much lower cost of players in that scheme. Spending a bunch of first round talent or huge $$$ on a pure zone blocking scheme doesn't make a lot of sense since if you are opening up the pocketbook you could just get angle blocking monsters instead.

Whether that is appropriate for the Seahawks is a different matter given that we use both zone and angle concepts. I still wonder how much our selection of Carpenter was due to the combination of an angle blocking build paired with experience in college in Saban's zone blocking scheme.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":1sq173y1 said:
Seahawks also invested heavily in Harvin, last season, and as well as drafted Richardson and Norwood... all three WRs have outstanding ability or the potential ability to get open and separate.
There's no doubt that Harvin is one of the best in the league, and I hope you are right about our rookies but it often takes receivers a while to adjust to the NFL and you must have been reading different material on Norwood then I have.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2p57xdku said:
Hawks46":2p57xdku said:
Sgt. Largent":2p57xdku said:
scutterhawk":2p57xdku said:
Just curious folks, is Tom Cable's scheme for the Offensive Line, really the right one, when our Quarterbacks are getting hit, hurried, sacked and punished on a regular basis?
I know that other Defenses have doubled down on going after the pass happy Quarterbacks in the League, but for the Seahawks Offensive Line to be ranking at one of the worst, isn't it time to re-think, and repair that scheme, or am I missing something?

Cable didn't invent the zone blocking scheme, it's basic principals have been around since the 50's. It wasn't until Shanahan and Alex Gibbs took it to the next level back in Denver's heyday that people started copying it.........and Cable is one of those disciples.

Anyway, it's primarily for run blocking, so doesn't really pertain to our problems in protecting the QB, that's pass blocking.........which is fairly basic compared to how complicated the zone blocking gets on run plays. So can't really blame Cable for that.

Now you can blame Cable for bringing in scrap heap free agents and low round draft picks because he thinks he can mold them into quality starters. IMO THIS has been more of an issue, other than Unger and Okung (when he's not hurt), it's been a bunch of no names. Cable has done a pretty good job with these guys, but never the less it's been a work in progress in protecting Russell.

Look at SF's OL....it's chock full of 1st rounders, yet we still get home to the QB. Finding 5 OLmen that can run block at an elite level and pass block at an elite level is extremely difficult if not impossible. It's why run teams generally don't pass pro well, while pass pro "finesse" teams usually don't run block well. Teams live Denver can run the ball, but it's usually based on an imbalance of numbers as teams try to protect against the pass.

How many times have we sacked Kaepernick? I would need to look it up, but I don't remember "getting home" very often last year on him..........and this is the Hawks, SF has one of the best lines in football, #2 to be exact. They murder everybody else.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/4 ... e-rankings

Hawks? #20. So sorry, poor comparison on your part. Draft picks do matter, especially on the O-Line and D-Line.

The difference between our O-line and D-line is John and Pete have been much more successful finding quality free agents on the D-line than O-line.

Thanks for the link, it actually proves my point. First of all, that rotoworld article wasn't an actual ranking of last year, it was a projection of the line rankings. SF wasn't 2nd in rushing last year, they were 3rd (and a lot of that is Kaepernick's scrambling). And the 2012 rankings also prove my point: in one ranking we have a #1 ranking in rushing and #7 ranking in pass pro, in another we have a #1 ranking in rushing and a #29 ranking in pass pro.

In answer to your question, we sacked Kaepernick 8 times in 3 games last year, so not bad. The thing that masks the multiple sacks is when a QB tucks the ball and starts to run, but is tackled behind the LOS, it's a TFL, not a sack. Kap takes off pretty quickly (usually as soon as he feels pressure) so he "evades" a lot of sacks even though we get home.

I never said draft picks don't matter. I was advocating drafting OL in the 1st round last year. What I said was, if you draft for run blocking, and that's your identity, generally your OL won't pass block as well. There's a ton of mitigating factors (P. Manning upped his OL's pass pro rating last year but it was him masking some weaknesses.....Kap rushing elevated his team's overall rushing rankings to #3; by RB alone they'd have rated somewhere around 8th) but you get my point. It's the balance that gets defenses on their heels. Denver rushed effectively last year due to 7 man (and less) fronts they faced because of the pass attack. We passed effectively last year through the threat of the run game.

The synopsis is that I'm not worried about the pass pro if we can elevate the run game. Being able to run effectively on teams like the Cards and Niners will limit Wilson's exposure, and we're closer to being elite at rushing than pass pro. I also believe Wilson will progress as a QB, thus being able to cover up some OL weaknesses (having a better WR corps also helps this).

Seafan

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":2gb2p188 said:
3. Let's not act like Wilson isn't 5'11 and doesn't need to hold the ball longer than most for passing lanes to open up.

This is the biggest problem/contributor to the sack numbers. Wilson holds the ball too long and until that changes he's going to get a lot of hits/sacks.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Seafan":2wyr237t said:
Pandion Haliaetus":2wyr237t said:
3. Let's not act like Wilson isn't 5'11 and doesn't need to hold the ball longer than most for passing lanes to open up.

This is the biggest problem/contributor to the sack numbers. Wilson holds the ball too long and until that changes he's going to get a lot of hits/sacks.

Or our guys to get open and not forcing things and leading to TO's.

justafan

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3at9a3a1 said:
scutterhawk":3at9a3a1 said:
Just curious folks, is Tom Cable's scheme for the Offensive Line, really the right one, when our Quarterbacks are getting hit, hurried, sacked and punished on a regular basis?
I know that other Defenses have doubled down on going after the pass happy Quarterbacks in the League, but for the Seahawks Offensive Line to be ranking at one of the worst, isn't it time to re-think, and repair that scheme, or am I missing something?

Anyway, it's primarily for run blocking, so doesn't really pertain to our problems in protecting the QB, that's pass blocking.........which is fairly basic compared to how complicated the zone blocking gets on run plays. So can't really blame Cable for that.

Now you can blame Cable for bringing in scrap heap free agents and low round draft picks because he thinks he can mold them into quality starters. IMO THIS has been more of an issue, other than Unger and Okung (when he's not hurt), it's been a bunch of no names. Cable has done a pretty good job with these guys, but never the less it's been a work in progress in protecting Russell.

The scheme is a good one.Gibbs placed a huge emphasis on controling the weight of olineman.Cable likes bigger guys.
Pete and John have tried to give him all the talent he can ask for.Its all on cable to get the line working as it should.
As far as SFs line, they are the best coached line in the league IMO

Subzero717

Reaction score
justafan":2kmceqsg said:
Sgt. Largent":2kmceqsg said:
scutterhawk":2kmceqsg said:

As far as SFs line, they are the best coached line in the league IMO

Ironically he was our line coach and we had him coaching zone while Mora was here.

They have more talent. They did and pulled off what we attempted to. Going OL early wit RT and OG. There picks panned out. Ours not so much. Cant blame Cable for Moffit being a bonehead and Carp being hurt.