Qbotf?

WarHawks

Reaction score
What is their long term strategy? Ride the Geno train until the wheels fall off and then hope for the best? Hope that Lock transforms into a top 5 qb? Trade all our picks for the #1 pick next year? Pick a 2nd or 3rd round qb and try to develop him (which historically doesn't work very well)? Seriously, I'm clueless as to what their strategy is. Spoiler alert. I'm not a very patient person, so I realize I'm probably jumping the gun a bit on this conversation.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Were you a big Levis proponent? I'm not sure that Pete particularly cares about a long-term strategy. Geno is 32 with low mileage. You would think he was 38 with how posters talk about him playing one or maybe two more years here.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of drafting QBs under the current CBA. If the Colts had gone Levis then in my view there's a high likelihood we would have went with Richardson. Unfortunately, Stroud and Richardson were off the board at our pick and it only makes sense to draft QBs if you like them. I'm certainly very happy we didn't take Levis at #5.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I could see Seattle going either way here, skipping QB entirely or drafting someone like Hooker or Levis in round 2. Maybe someone further down in the draft. They don’t need to be committed to the idea of a Qb here.

Personally I don’t think Geno is the type of guy that’ll ever get us anywhere, but he does offer us a great deal of flexibility. He’s an Alex Smith sort of placeholder that can man the position until we find someone we’re in love with. His contract provides us a lot of flexibility.

OP
OP
WarHawks

WarHawks

Reaction score
I'm not sure that Pete particularly cares about a long-term strategy. Geno is 32 with low mileage. You would think he was 38 with how posters talk about him playing one or maybe two more years here.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of drafting QBs under the current CBA. If the Colts had gone Levis then in my view there's a high likelihood we would have went with Richardson. Unfortunately, Stroud and Richardson were off the board at our pick and it only makes sense to draft QBs if you like them. I'm certainly very happy we didn't take Levis at #5.
Interesting take. I hadn't considered that they wouldn't have a long-term strategy. Maybe with Pete's age, and the team being sold in the next few years most likely, they just aren't worried about it.

OP
OP
WarHawks

WarHawks

Reaction score
I could see Seattle going either way here, skipping QB entirely or drafting someone like Hooker or Levis in round 2. Maybe someone further down in the draft. They don’t need to be committed to the idea of a Qb here.

Personally I don’t think Geno is the type of guy that’ll ever get us anywhere, but he does offer us a great deal of flexibility. He’s an Alex Smith sort of placeholder.
Agreed, but the hit rate for qb's past the first round is pretty abysmal. Even so, hope springs eternal...

Yxes1122

Reaction score
There are no clear Franchise guys left in the draft.

Best to wait until Day 3. Haener/DTR/Aidan O'Connell will likely be available Day 3.

Geno is under cheap team control for 3 years. And barring major injury to our starters, will probably be a Top 10 QB next year.

I think John and Pete are content to ride it out and hope something breaks in their favor in the next couple years.

Until the combine, AR was a projected 2nd Rounder. If the narrative doesn't take off, or if the draft fell a different way, we would've been in position to draft a Franchise Talent.

We are the Chiefs in the Alex Smith Era right now. Need to sit and wait for the right time to get the right guy.

irfuben32

Reaction score
Hendon Hooker is still available.

I think this is Lockett's last year unless he comes back on a cheaper deal after getting cut.

This is probably Jamal Adams's last year unless they cut him this year with a Post June 1 designation.

They need a LB or two as Wagner is on a one year deal and I really don't want to give Brooks another contract. (Devin Bush isn't a sure thing either)

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score

Personally I don’t think Geno is the type of guy that’ll ever get us anywhere, but he does offer us a great deal of flexibility. He’s an Alex Smith sort of placeholder.
With his completion percentage? I disagree, in that he may not be a guy who can take it all on his shoulders, but with the right pieces around him, he could easily lead a super bowl caliber team.

We really do still need a longer term plan in place too though. You can't count on just one guy, and never having him miss games!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
What is their long term strategy? Ride the Geno train until the wheels fall off and then hope for the best? Hope that Lock transforms into a top 5 qb? Trade all our picks for the #1 pick next year? Pick a 2nd or 3rd round qb and try to develop him (which historically doesn't work very well)? Seriously, I'm clueless as to what their strategy is. Spoiler alert. I'm not a very patient person, so I realize I'm probably jumping the gun a bit on this conversation.

It's pretty obvious what the strategy is isn't it? Rebuild a nasty run game and defense to compliment an experienced above average QB and try to make another deep playoff run.

I've been saying it for months arguing with you guys over drafting a QB. It makes NO sense for a 71 year old who doesn't have either the time or patience to wait 2-3 years for a young QB to develop, if that happens at all.

Pete wants to win now, not in 2-3 years hoping the rookie QB he drafts is the real deal............AND having a mediocre defense? Nope.

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
Hooker is my favorite, but Levis, is still on the board, as is Tune, Haener, Hall, Thomson-Robinson, and McKee, all guys that might be starter worthy some day.

Not fair to say they've abandoned the idea of a QB just yet.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
It's pretty obvious what the strategy is isn't it? Rebuild a nasty run game and defense to compliment an experienced above average QB and try to make another deep playoff run.

I've been saying it for months arguing with you guys over drafting a QB. It makes NO sense for a 71 year old who doesn't have either the time or patience to wait 2-3 years for a young QB to develop, if that happens at all.

Pete wants to win now, not in 2-3 years hoping the rookie QB he drafts is the real deal............AND having a mediocre defense? Nope.
Not drafting a QB isn't confirmation of anything when neither of the tops QBs were available.

Lots of chatter on Seahawks Twitter claiming sources that say Anthony Richardson was their top choice, if available.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Lots of chatter on Seahawks Twitter claiming sources that say Anthony Richardson was their top choice, if available.

There was also chatter that the Hawks were drafting Carter, and that didn't happen either.

So I'm standing by my opinion that even if Pete and John loved Richardson, the pick made no sense for where their goals lie over the next couple of years, and those goals aren't wait around for a super raw QB to hopefully develop into a franchise QB.

This is not a team that was in total rebuild mode with a young coach/GM AND desperate for a QB.

bileever

Reaction score

Personally I don’t think Geno is the type of guy that’ll ever get us anywhere, but he does offer us a great deal of flexibility. He’s an Alex Smith sort of placeholder that can man the position until we find someone we’re in love with. His contract provides us a lot of flexibility.
I feel very differently about Geno. I believe that there is a good chance that after one year under his belt that he will make significant progress this year. I think we should be thinking of last year as his rookie year. Before you go crazy, let me explain:

Now, many people will say that I'm wacko, but Geno's entire career history has been misunderstood and mischaracterized. Yes, he did start his rookie year in New York, but the circumstances have never been fully explained in the Seattle press.

I was living in New York during Geno's rookie year, so I witnessed it first hand. I even went to his first game that year. What happened in 2013 was that John Idzik, formerly of the Seahawks, was hired, and that hiring was seen as an effort to take away some of Ryan's authority. Over Rex's objections (or at least it was conjectured), Geno was drafted in the second round by Idzik who saw him as a Russell Wilson clone.

No one thought that Geno would play a down for the Jets that year. Mark Sanchez was Rex's guy (he even famously had a tattoo of Sanchez) and had taken them to consecutive AFC championship games. But at the end of the pre-season, Sanchez injured his shoulder, and Geno was thrust into being the day 1 starter with little preparation. Marty Morhinweg was the third OC in NY in three years due to criticisms over the Jets offensive production, so it was a somewhat unstable situation, with not many offensive weapons (the leading receiver that year was Jeremy Kerley).

I still remember that game. A friend took me to the game because I was depressed about my son having gone away to college. Geno, I think, fumbled on his first play and then was intercepted in the second series. (I could be wrong about this, but that's how I remember it.) But then he threw the ball all over the place and ran like a maniac and the Jets came from 17 points down to beat the Bucs. But even after that game, there was talk that Sanchez would come back, or that the Jets would go get another QB, and there was no commitment to Geno. Eventually, Sanchez had to get surgery and the Jets released him and signed Michael Vick. Although Geno finished the year 8-8, he wasn't seen as the long-term answer in NY. He was named the starter at the end of the preseason in 2014, but he was eventually replaced by Vick in mid-season. (Vick left at the end of the season, but then Geno was punched in the mouth.)

So my point to the overly long post is that this year will be the first year that Geno goes into a preseason as the starter, with a whole preseason to work with his receivers and in a stable environment (2014 was Rex Ryan's last year with the Jets.). Let's see what he can do when he finally enters a season as the presumptive starter, with a year's experience in that system under his belt.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
There was also chatter that the Hawks were drafting Carter, and that didn't happen either.

So I'm standing by my opinion that even if Pete and John loved Richardson, the pick made no sense for where their goals lie over the next couple of years, and those goals aren't wait around for a super raw QB to hopefully develop into a franchise QB.

This is not a team that was in total rebuild mode with a young coach/GM AND desperate for a QB.
Big difference between pre-draft and post-draft chatter. Teams are usually more open after the draft about who they wanted. Pre draft is a lot more speculation.

We'll see on Richardson. I think we're seeing now the league doesn't see Richardson as big of a project as you do. I'll be surprised if he's not starting before the end of the year and heading into next year as an ascending playmaker.

OP
OP
WarHawks

WarHawks

Reaction score

No one is saying that we are in that mode. I and others were just saying that this was an extremely rare opportunity that may not come around again for a very long time. To not capitalize on it seems like a missed opportunity to me. Maybe they tried to trade up, and just couldn't. Who knows. Anyway, just my opinion.