Is Geno Done?

renofox

Reaction score
He is. But he's $31.2 million cap hit next season.

If they don't think he's worth it, they can cut him and take a $17.4 million dead cap hit which can be spread over two seasons, so they could get over $20 million in cap space next year if they cut him in the offseason.
They save $23.5M if released by 3/16. Their cap for 2024 increases by that amount with a post 6/1 designation.

Honest Qs:

How big of a downgrade would you sign to save how much of that?

How much are you willing to spend of the limited cap this year on an upgrade?

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
They save $23.5M if released by 3/16. Their cap for 2024 increases by that amount with a post 6/1 designation.

Honest Qs:

How big of a downgrade would you sign to save how much of that?

How much are you willing to spend of the limited cap this year on an upgrade?
The ONLY current "upgrade" is Cousins. I don't see him taking anything less than 45 mil a year.

Do any of you?

N3putts@

Reaction score
The ONLY current "upgrade" is Cousins. I don't see him taking anything less than 45 mil a year.

Do any of you?

Do any of you?
Please explain how Cousins is an upgrade? The same guy who can’t win games in prime time with a 12-20 record. The same guy who lost to Daniel Jones at home in the playoffs. Do you guys actually watch the games?

WarHawks

Reaction score
You do realize that averaging two touchdowns a game is not exactly something that happens often? The past two seasons, only four total QBs have done it. If you are going to continue this crusade after Geno is gone, how long will it last? Will it last until we have a top three QB? You do realize that the odds of that are very low?
I didn't say he had to average two td's per game. But 25-30 should certainly be the minimum for a franchise qb. If Geno had done that this year we would be in the playoffs. And yes, I think we should try to get/develop a top 5 qb. The only time we ever won a sb was when we had one. I don't see the point in trying to re-invent the wheel.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
No, it isn't my take that he's the answer. It's my take that for the price, there are currently no better options. I don't think anyone is stupid to want to get someone else, but I do think it's a stupid take to say Geno is a bad QB or that we can't win with Geno, that is all...

Plus it's just objectively wrong and all the stats prove it so.

I just don't see the reason for the hate, and in NO measure or way is Lock = to Geno...
Geno is #9 in the final PFF quarterback analytical rankings.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Geno is a lot better than mediocre, and we need someone even if we draft a guy. We'd have to sign lock if we went that way, and he's not gonna be a significant savings compared to Geno, considering Geno is a better QB.

Give Geno a better line and better running game and he's easily in the top ten statistically.

Also, as has been said, you don't have to be the best to be a good mentor. Geno is a better team guy than most. I think he'd be a fine mentor to a draftee.
Geno is mediocre at best. Borderline backup. A backup should win you 50% of their games. Thats Geno. Sayanora and Guadalajara Geno!! Go average 1.2 Td's a game somewhere else.

keasley45

Reaction score
Top 5 QB in the league? You lost me there. I do think Geno, after a deep dive, is better than what I and many others gave him credit for. He finished 16th in EPA which is exactly average and I think he’s probably slightly above that talent wise. Sure he had to overcome a bad line, bad running game but he also had one of the best skill position groups in the NFL. Almost every team has something a QB has to overcome so to say by default he’s way up the board because of the deficiencies while ignoring deficiencies of every other team seems like a bad process to evaluate him from.

When you weight all the metrics out he’s probably in the 10-20 range which is really good. But not good enough that you have to roll with him. I’m looking forward to seeing how JS and the next coach view this situation because it could a number of different ways. I’d try to keep him and draft a guy personally

Agree that he should be kept and started until a rookie unseats him.

but the rest?

Skill positions are negated by poor blocking and an inability to stay on the field because your defense is bottom 3 in almost every category.

I posted in another thread that no other QB ranked where Geno is had as poor a supporting cast in rushing, blocking and defense. None. Look it up.

Mahomes has the 5th ranked o line in the league. Geno, 29th.

And Mahomes has Reid calling plays for him. Geno has a guy who was just invited to find another gig.

And Mahomes has the 2nd ranked defense in points allowed per game In the NFL

Youre comparing Mahomes and his TE struggles with Geno and his running game, protection, playcalling and defense?

Last year, with a running game that disappeared entirely for 1/3rd of the season and, a line that finished 27th , and a bottim three defense, he finished 8th. Mid season last year (before the running game left and the o line comoletely collapsed, he was squarely top 5.

You keep expanding the bracket for his performance to between 10th and 20th? Why, when with a crap team in several critical areas, he was 7th once, and 12th another time, and at no point has he ever played like a 20th ranked player. 16 seems to me to be his low water mark And hes not even that low in QBR or Pro Football References Average Net Yards category, which factors in TDs, Ints and sacks heavily - categories that he didnt fair as well in

Fact is, last year he was top 7th in qbr and 10th in A.NY. That is THE definition of top 10. Period. This year he was 12th in QBR and 13th in A.NY.

And A.NY is the following -

(Passing Yards - Sack Yards + (20 * Passing TD) - (45 * Interceptions)) / (Passes Attempted + Times Sacked)
Minimum 14 attempts per scheduled game to qualify as leader.

Why do you keep insisting hes as bad as 20? By definition and his play on the field, Geno has been between 7 and 14, if you take his highest grade and lowest in two fairly detailed metrics. Thats what hes pit on tape. Thats what the play says.

Despite having one of the worst defenses in the league, and one of the worst offensive lines in the leavue, we managed to finish squarely middle of the pack in points scored. And none of that magic came from the running game.

Rationalizing that he's ok to keep around m, but middling at best... he's not been that. He's carried the offense for stretches and outperformed what one shoukd expect guven hiw absolutely poor the team around him is (and I'm not saying our skill positions are bad. They're good. But hamstrung if you arent on the field or are one dimensional).

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
Please explain how Cousins is an upgrade? The same guy who can’t win games in prime time with a 12-20 record. The same guy who lost to Daniel Jones at home in the playoffs. Do you guys actually watch the games?
It's not hard to check. In four of the last five seasons Cousins has finished with a passer rating no lower than 103. In 8 games this season, he had 18 TDs and 5 ints, for 2331 yards and a 69.5% completion percentage. If that's not elite level play what is?

I know y'all seem to like to think you know the game, but damn, check the stats on some of these guys before talking trash about them...

Seems like it's YOU that doesn't watch the games, downplaying guys that are atop the league statistically...

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
We don’t need a QB that is better than Geno next year. We need a rookie QB that will begin developing into a top 5 QB learning the ropes next Year next to a cheap vet while all the cap crap gets cleared up in a potentially poor season record wise.

goals next year need to be
1 draft and develop rookie QB
2. clear all the cap issues possible
3 implement new offense and defensive systems
4. find and develop young cheap talent
99. Win football games.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score

but the rest?

Skill positions are negated by poor blocking and an inability to stay on the field because your defense is bottom 3 in almost every category.

I posted in another thread that no other QB ranked where Geno is had as poor a supporting cast in rushing, blocking and defense. None. Look it up.

And Mahomes has Reid calling plays for him. Geno has a guy who was just invited to find another gig.

Youre comparing Mahomes and his TE struggles with Geno and his running game, protection, playcalling and defense?

Last year, with a running game that disappeared entirely for 1/3rd of the season and, a line that finished 27th , and a bottim three defense, he finished 8th. Mid season last year (before the running game left and the o line comoletely collapsed, he was squarely top 5.

You keep expanding the bracket for his performance to between 10th and 20th? Why, when with a crap team in several critical areas, he was 7th once, and 12th another time, and at no point has he ever played like a 20th ranked player. 16 seems to me to be his low water mark And hes not even that low in QBR or Pro Football References Average Net Yards category, which factors in TDs, Ints and sacks heavily - categories that he didnt fair as well in

Fact is, last year he was top 7th in qbr and 10th in A.NY. That is THE definition of top 10. Period. This year he was 12th in QBR and 13th in A.NY.

(Passing Yards - Sack Yards + (20 * Passing TD) - (45 * Interceptions)) / (Passes Attempted + Times Sacked)

Why do you keep insisting hes as bad as 20? By definition and his play on the field, Geno has been between 7 and 14, if you take his highest grade and lowest in two fairly detailed metrics. Thats what hes pit on tape. Thats what the play says.

Despite having one of the worst defenses in the league, and one of the worst offensive lines in the leavue, we managed to finish squarely middle of the pack in points scored. And none of that magic came from the running game.

Rationalizing that he's ok to keep around m, but middling at best... he's not been that. He's carried the offense for stretches and outperformed what one shoukd expect guven hiw absolutely poor the team around him is (and I'm not saying our skill positions are bad. They're good. But hamstrung if you arent on the field or are one dimensional).
I will just add that Joe Flacco (age 38) is playing very well and lead the Browns to the playoffs.

Ozzy

Reaction score

but the rest?

I think EPA is the most accurate and it has him at 16. I also like passer rating which has him in that range as well. Again I’ll just agree to disagree. I don’t think he’s anywhere near top 5 and I guarantee the league views it that way too if he’s let go. But I do agree with you that he’s been underrated this year by many and if the he coach decides to roll with him and we get our line sorted he will probably have a great year all things considered.

Mahomes has no weapons and to argue that doesn’t matter while claiming Geno’s obstacles are monumental make it feel like you’re not being all that objective here. I also had a long winded paragraph about our line vs a middle of the pack line, play calling etc but it’s pointless. I don’t mean that rudely I just know we see it differently and that’s ok. I respect your well thought out opinion and appreciate the content.

If Geno stays I know we will both be rooting for him and if you get to say “I told you so” I’ll be as happy about it as you are. Oh I do agree that if they can fix the running game and the line Genobis capable of looking like a top 10 guy if that makes sense and that’s all that really matters

Ozzy

Reaction score
It's not hard to check. In four of the last five seasons Cousins has finished with a passer rating no lower than 103. In 8 games this season, he had 18 TDs and 5 ints. If that's not elite level play what is?

I know y'all seem to like to think you know the game, but damn, check the stats on some of these guys before talking trash about them...
I think Cousins might be the most underrated QB in the league along with Baker Mayfield. I fully believe Kirk is an upgrade on Geno too but he will probably be too costly

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I think EPA is the most accurate and it has him at 16. I also like passer rating which has him in that range as well. Again I’ll just agree to disagree. I don’t think he’s anywhere near top 5 and I guarantee the league views it that way too if he’s let go. But I do agree with you that he’s been underrated this year by many and if the he coach decides to roll with him and we get our line sorted he will probably have a great year all things considered.

Mahomes has no weapons and to argue that doesn’t matter while claiming Geno’s obstacles are monumental make it feel like you’re not being all that objective here. I also had a long winded paragraph about our line vs a middle of the pack line, play calling etc but it’s pointless. I don’t mean that rudely I just know we see it differently and that’s ok. I respect your well thought out opinion and appreciate the content.

If Geno stays I know we will both be rooting for him and if you get to say “I told you so” I’ll be as happy about it as you are. Oh I do agree that if they can fix the running game and the line Genobis capable of looking like a top 10 guy if that makes sense and that’s all that really matters
The argument that Geno would be a great QB IF ONLY we had a top 5 Offensive line and an elite running game just ignores the fact that there are 50 UDFA QBs that could be a great QB in the exact same situation.

Fact is that there is not a single NFL team that would start him at the beginning of next season if all rostered QBs were healthy besides the PC Seahawks unless PC was the HC there.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
You can't get rid of Geno until you have a replacement. I think we can agree he regressed this year. The FA options aren't all that attractive outside of Cousins. So if they can't get Cousins then they'll have to draft a replacement and getting a rookie ready to take over takes time. So it's very likely we will need to keep Geno for at least a year. But his days are probably numbered...

nwHawk

Reaction score
… people are saying oohhh he had 7 game winning drives. Well we only won 9 games so we only had 2 of 17 games in hand.
Only 1 game, because Lock also got a 4th quarter comeback. So, Geno only one game in hand when the 4th quarter rolled around. Think about that for a minute.

Seahawker

Reaction score
Cousins & Mayfield would be no more of an upgrade to Geno than RW3 would be this coming season. I think Geno has performed pretty damn well considering,
Rookie OT's
O-Line injuries
Penalties
Poor play calling
Bottom feeder defense
Geno may not be the future but it sure would have been nice to see what he could have done with a solid offensive line & a defense that could force a punt once in a while. Not to mention an OC that could get them firing on all cylinders instead of being bogged in the mud for 2-3 quarters on end.
They say GS isn't a guy who can put a team on his back & win a SB...?
I say give him credit for what he has done under some very unfavorable conditions.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Only 1 game, because Lock also got a 4th quarter comeback. So, Geno only one game in hand when the 4th quarter rolled around. Think about that for a minute.
A question for you: The Seahawks ranked 25th in red zone offense. How much of the fault goes to:
1. Geno
2. Offensive line
3. Play calling

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Good idea. We'll think on it.

We'll ignore the fact that 7 was an incorrect and hyperbolic number of game winning drives for the purpose of debate here.

What would be the acceptable number of games for Geno to have single-handedly wrapped up a win by the start of the fourth quarter in, using numbers from around the league?

Just curious as to what kind of scale we're grading on here and whether it even considers how putrid the rest of the team was for the majority of the year.

Ozzy

Reaction score
A question for you: The Seahawks ranked 25th in red zone offense. How much of the fault goes to:
1. Geno
2. Offensive line
3. Play calling
It’s just so hard to say. I remember a couple of weeks ago everyone was blaming Waldron when Geno had two touchdowns he was late on and missed them. If I had to guess I think I’d say blame is in this order 1 Line 2 Geno 3 play calling but again some games have been mostly play calling or mostly Geno, depending on which game you look at.

All that to say it’s tough to equate