Question about SD field conditions

Largent80

Reaction score
Popeyejones":selq721g said:
Largent80":selq721g said:
Also, the Chargers practice facility is next door to the stadium. It was 90 + every day last week.

From Tuesday through Saturday last week the high temperature in San Diego was 82 degrees. The only day that was 90 was Monday, the day that NFL players get off.

On Thursday - Sunday San Diego was between 1 and 3 degrees hotter than Seattle.

For Tuesday and Wednesday it was 9 degrees hotter (81 and 82 degrees).

Of course, if the Hawks had won and Chargers fans were insisting that they're team lost because it was worn out from practicing in 9 degree hotter weather on Tuesday and Wednesday then Hawks fans would (rightly) laugh at them, just as I'm sure Chargers fans are (rightly) laughing at Hawks fans now.

Why don't you and Roland get a room?

Seriously dude, you are a 9er fan, weren't anywhere near the stadium, and now you know everything about the experience...

Really, just....... :escape:

Steve2222

Reaction score
To be honest, I think the temperature could have been 50 degrees and SD still wins that day.

The executed better and had a better gameplan. Sometimes you just have to tip your cap. Any Given Sunday.

I still think the Seahawks are the best team in the league.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Cartire":23xgrch5 said:
The only reason there is even a debate is because your are incapable of admitting you are wrong. The debate could have been over long ago.
Seeing as how I'm not married to you, I don't feel obliged to let you think you're right just to end an argument. I'm sorry you're used to being patted on the head by your significant other that way and are hoping for it here, but...Nope. Not happening.

Vetamur":23xgrch5 said:
Except for Richard Sherman, the Seahawks were doing IVs only reactively.
And whose damn fault is that? Apparently we have a bunch of morons on our team, and I'm being mostly serious at the moment. Maybe it's arrogance. "WE WON THE SUPER BOWL, WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' EXCESSIVE HYDRATION UP IN HERE!"

Cartire":23xgrch5 said:
I was right next to the stadium since wed before the game. It was far hotter then 82. San Diego is a huge city. The national weather is taken at the airport which is right on the water and far away from the stadium. It was 90+, including a few peaks into the 100's next to the stadium.

I WAS THERE. YOU WERE NOT.
I love the "THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IS WRONG IT WAS HOTTER, I WAS THERE" defense. It's awesome. God knows west coast people are good judges of temperature on what was an abnormally humid day for that particular region.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Roland is seriously arguing dark vs. light clothing now?

:lol:

Can we put this topic to bed already? We lost. It's over. Onto Denver now.

minormillikin

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2ddxovjd said:
I love the "THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IS WRONG IT WAS HOTTER, I WAS THERE" defense. It's awesome. God knows west coast people are good judges of temperature on what was an abnormally humid day for that particular region.

Are you just trolling now?

The noaa measures temps at the airport next to the water.

Qualcomm is in an asphalt covered valley 10 miles inland. The stadium is not ventilated like century link, it's just a big,vertical concrete bowl full of people. It's built like a campfire ring.

I've lived in Sacramento, I've lived in Oklahoma City, I went to basic training in Ft. Benning (in the summer) and I went to school in Pullman. I know what hot feels like. That day in San Diego was hot, in the Qualcomm parking lot it was sweltering, and inside the stadium it was hell.

Fine if you think it had no effect on the Seahawks, but your insistence that it wasn't even especially hot (or any hotter than it was at the airport) is just bizarre.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":20ba7vxo said:
Cartire":20ba7vxo said:
The only reason there is even a debate is because your are incapable of admitting you are wrong. The debate could have been over long ago.
Seeing as how I'm not married to you, I don't feel obliged to let you think you're right just to end an argument. I'm sorry you're used to being patted on the head by your significant other that way and are hoping for it here, but...Nope. Not happening.

Vetamur":20ba7vxo said:
Except for Richard Sherman, the Seahawks were doing IVs only reactively.
And whose damn fault is that? Apparently we have a bunch of morons on our team, and I'm being mostly serious at the moment. Maybe it's arrogance. "WE WON THE SUPER BOWL, WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' EXCESSIVE HYDRATION UP IN HERE!"

Cartire":20ba7vxo said:
I was right next to the stadium since wed before the game. It was far hotter then 82. San Diego is a huge city. The national weather is taken at the airport which is right on the water and far away from the stadium. It was 90+, including a few peaks into the 100's next to the stadium.

I WAS THERE. YOU WERE NOT.

NWS probably wasn't wrong for San Diego, like everyone has been saying.

Fox had the air temperature AT THE STADIUM at 95 degrees. Like you said they probably took that temp in the shade.

Fox again also had a LIVE Field Temp of 118 degrees in direct sunlight.

So even without the white/dark uniform arguments.

SD's sideline was in the shade presumably at 95 degrees.

While the Seahawks sideline was stewing in direct sunlight at 115 degrees.

That's a 20 degree difference when both teams are resting.

And if you throw in the jersey argument, which from that I've compiled:

Dark clothing is a horrible choice in direct sunlight because it will continuously absorb heat waves.

Dark clothing in hot temperatures but in the shade is ideal because its not asorbing the sun's energy, nor the bodies.

White clothing in direct sunlight is ideal, because it will not turn the material into an oven.

So the facts are even when the Seahawks weren't on the field, they were stewing in the heat and it was obviously affecting the team.

Do you guys honestly believe that 3/4ths of the team struggled and looked like a hot mess for much of the game with uncharacteristic performances because the Chargers have better talent than the SB champs?

Chargers deserved to win, they did play hell of game but the Seahawks were handicapped in this one because of the heat, that yes was affecting them more than the Chargers. It is what it is. Doesn't mean the Seahawks lost solely because of the heat , but it was definately problem.

Seahawks are a dominant 2nd Half team, they usually can rally and and outplay opponents in the last 2 QTRs. There was none of that in this game... the Seahawks looked battered and fried.  

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
minormillikin":30on9j83 said:
The noaa measures temps at the airport next to the water.

Qualcomm is in an asphalt covered valley 10 miles inland. The stadium is not ventilated like century link, it's just a big,vertical concrete bowl full of people. It's built like a campfire ring.
Which is why I got the temp data from Chula Vista. However, looking at where that is, I think Largent80 gave me some bad info as far as where the stadium's located. I just went and checked the weather from a Wunderground weather station located less than half a mile from Qualcomm Stadium, (Seven miles from the open ocean as the crow flies, five miles to salt water/the bay per Google Maps' distance measuring tool, in case you were curious. I was.) here's a link to the weather for 09/14/14 from that station: http://www.wunderground.com/personal-we ... 914/mdaily

Max temp it recorded was 94.6 degrees, max humidity 92%, but most importantly for that "hot, humid feel" - max dew point 71.8 degrees. (Here's a station near Sun Life Stadium in Miami where the Dolphins place by comparison for that day, 79 degrees for dew point which is a ginormous difference for the feel of humidity.)

minormillikin":30on9j83 said:
Fine if you think it had no effect on the Seahawks, but your insistence that it wasn't even especially hot (or any hotter than it was at the airport) is just bizarre.
I never said OR implied that! Of course it was friggin' hot, and it had an effect on the Seahawks, (Chargers, too, was a fair part of my point) but it wasn't 120 degrees hot. That's a FACT. Also, I'm at a loss as far as why some of our players did not hydrate properly. Literally #MindBlown on that count.

Pandion Haliaetus":30on9j83 said:
While the Seahawks sideline was stewing in direct sunlight at 115 degrees.
It doesn't work that way. The ambient air temperature was the same for both sidelines. Touching objects, the ground, etc. - those things were hotter on our sideline in the sun. Standing in front of the fans blowing water mist also helps a tremendous deal, plus as you saw, we had guys holding those cover things for shade over our benches, so...

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":o5s2ugth said:
I moved here because I have severe recurring reactive arthritis AND degenerative arthritis -- basically crippling arthritis in all my major joints - knees, joints, shoulders, hips, even my damn jaw. It's so bad that my knees joints are deformed from the bones grinding on each other, they look like mushrooms on an x-ray.

In Seattle I was in hell, beyond hell... I was a complete invalid in winter, bedridden, morphine drip, pain was driving me towards suicidal tendencies. Couldn't even do my photography anymore.
That sucks, dude. Sorry to hear it.

When I saw the temp forecasts before the game I knew it was going to be a big deal because Seattle folks they think it's hot but they have no idea how to prepare for this stuff - and really you can't prepare. You have to acclimatize yourself to it - takes about a month or so. Chargers players did training camp in this stuff, hence their gameplan.
Well, I think it's kind of a minor point to acclimatize to heat like that, honestly. When I have returned to visit friends in Miami and such, (where I lived for a few years as a kid) I love the weather right away again, instantly. I haven't played an NFL game in it, obviously, but when I went to Vegas in August last year it was during a hotter-than-usual time for August in Vegas, it hit 107 one of the days I think, (dry obviously) and I purposely wandered the strip during early afternoon because I loved the feeling - yet one of my friends (who literally lives 20 minutes from me, so was EQUALLY acclimatized to Seattle weather as I was) was DYING wandering around with me, despite drinking plenty of water. Same thing the next day.

He was miserable...Despite his shirt not getting anymore soaked with sweat than mine. We were both keeping properly hydrated but he was just miserable in it while I enjoyed it. He never got faint or anything. Mental outlook makes a big difference...I don't suppose we have any psychiatrists or psychologists on .NET that might want to chime in on this? Not sure what Hans' specialty is, maybe he'd be qualified to give a real quality medical opinion on that aspect of it, I don't know. All I know is I've been in a couple of situations where I've seen people have a rather...Weak constitution regarding very hot weather. I've seen a lot more of the opposite - Californians and Floridians visiting Seattle during the winter and "freezing to death"...

Quite frankly, Seattle not prepping for it and saying "we played in the heat in Caroline and won" was about the same level of stupid as teams from the East Coast coming to the Clink and saying "Hey, we've been on the road before. It's loud in other stadiums too... "
COMPLETELY AGREED.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":30nu9va5 said:
But on the other side, you are definitely on to something here with the mental aspect. For those of us who love new "experiences" that initial assault of the heat is a rush. I remember the first time I felt it, I was tripping out - I thought it was so cool, especially the way it felt on my joints.
I don't have any joint problems, or anything - but that is one thing I LOVE about Miami. That cloying humidity, and how it feels...and then when you walk into a store or something and you get that frigid blast of A/C...Then walking back out into that "fog" of humidity. It's great. Definitely a huge psychological factor there...Which can be controlled if someone really wants to. :)

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Largent80":2xllsf4u said:
Popeyejones":2xllsf4u said:
Largent80":2xllsf4u said:
Also, the Chargers practice facility is next door to the stadium. It was 90 + every day last week.

From Tuesday through Saturday last week the high temperature in San Diego was 82 degrees. The only day that was 90 was Monday, the day that NFL players get off.

Of course, if the Hawks had won and Chargers fans were insisting that they're team lost because it was worn out from practicing in 9 degree hotter weather on Tuesday and Wednesday then Hawks fans would (rightly) laugh at them, just as I'm sure Chargers fans are (rightly) laughing at Hawks fans now.

Seriously dude, you are a 9er fan, weren't anywhere near the stadium, and now you know everything about the experience...

I looked up the weather. It's not too complicated. Now the argument is that we can't trust national weather data.

Yet there's an easy way to use data to get around that claim too though: On Sunday it was not only 3 degrees hotter in San Diego than it was in Seattle, it was also 4 degrees hotter in San Diego than the historical average for San Diego in the month of September.

If the Hawks lost because of the weather, we'd expect the Chargers to historically dominate their opponents at home games in the month of September, because everyone has had to deal with this unfair advantage for the last 44 years. Is that the case? I haven't looked into it, but that's the claim. That covers the weather claim, and the jersey claim, as away teams wear the darker top.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2mgctovz said:
Largent80":2mgctovz said:
Popeyejones":2mgctovz said:
Largent80":2mgctovz said:

I looked up the weather. It's not too complicated. Now the argument is that we can't trust national weather data.

Yet there's an easy way to use data to get around that claim too though: On Sunday it was not only 3 degrees hotter in San Diego than it was in Seattle, it was also 4 degrees hotter in San Diego than the historical average for San Diego in the month of September.

If the Hawks lost because of the weather, we'd expect the Chargers to historically dominate their opponents at home games in the month of September, because everyone has had to deal with this unfair advantage for the last 44 years. Is that the case? I haven't looked into it, but that's the claim. That covers the weather claim, and the jersey claim, as away teams wear the darker top.

I honestly don't care what national weather data says. I've been to San Diego several times and never been sapped by the heat like I was that day. People can debate about how much impact it had on the players but I know what it did to the people that I was with (I was the only SEA fan in my group).

I was there from Thursday around noon, to Monday around noon. Thursday and Friday were fine. Saturday was definitely warmer. Sunday was ridiculous. San Diego natives commenting on how they'd never been to a sporting event in that kind of heat was completely unsolicited and I'd think that they should know how it compared to their other experiences.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Laloosh":3noh8w47 said:
I was there from Thursday around noon, to Monday around noon. Thursday and Friday were fine. Saturday was definitely warmer. Sunday was ridiculous. San Diego natives commenting on how they'd never been to a sporting event in that kind of heat was completely unsolicited and I'd think that they should know how it compared to their other experiences.

A) Welcome to some decent humidity. SoCal people don't know what that's like.

B) You're talking about people that put on parkas, scarves, gloves, and boots designed for trekking across Antarctica to come visit family in Seattle for Christmas when it's like 47 degrees.

C) Consider points A & B above and keep a bit of perspective. ;)