Question to the older hawk fans....

the_12th_man

Reaction score
Where the hell did the trash moniker "Seachickens" come from? As long as I've been a fan I have heard this absolutely terrible name for my beloved Seahawks and can't seem to find the answer. It's neither clever nor imaginative. At least things like "Seahags" kinda flows but I hear this stupid name by opposinng douches all the time and just don't get it. Now I know that their are fans on here who have been fans since the beginning so if someone could enlighten me I'd be very greatful. Thanks .netters!! And always "GO HAWKS!!!!"

rideaducati

Reaction score
Probably from a dumb whiner fan that doesn't know the difference between a chicken and a Hawk. I don't recall hearing it before the Seahawks moved into the NFC.

TriCHawk

Reaction score
I've been a fan since I was a kid in the 80's, and I remember hearing it back then. That one, and Squawks.

Shock2k

Reaction score
I don't remember having a moniker back in the day. The team was never really "threatening" enough to be taken that seriously. I started watching the Seahawks in 1980 when I was 8 with my crazy fan dad. But of course back then it never occured to me to think about or care about any other team.

grizbob

Reaction score
Ass wipe Raider Fans as far as I can remember :thfight7:

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Same place as Forty Whiners, Forskins, Vagiants, Dolts, Donkeys, and every other derogatory knickname for opposing teams came from.

The Radish

Reaction score
I would probably wager it was Chris Berman in ESPN, that's the first place I remember hearing it.

And I still shake my head at people that worry about a silly thing like a name when there are children starving in Cheney or somewhere.

:roll:

Renohawk

Reaction score
Sorry friends, I started it. Hey, when you've rooted since 76 and toughed out some hard years, had to come up with something to throw off the bashers, so I bashed myself with Seachicken fan. My bad.

two dog

Reaction score
Strangely, some fans not only don't mind, but embrace derogatory names.
A friend from Denver was the first, to me at least, to use the name "donkeys"
or "donks" for his own team.Not only did it not bother him but he seemed to embrace it.

The first time I heard the term "seachickens" was from an opposing fan (don't remember
which team} in the Kingdome. Maybe because he was 12-14 years old, I have since
equated the name with juvenile thinking and have dismissed it.

On the other hand, "Seasquawkers" amused me enough that I used it as a handle on
another forum, long ago in another galaxy.

tdigitee

Reaction score
Yeah that weak name always makes me cringe a bit when people use it. When I was younger (middle school) my friends would sometimes refer to them as the "Peeattle Pee-hawks" which I thought was actually pretty good for that time (and still superior to Seachickens IMO). Also I think one of our recent opponents' fans coined "Seadderall" which was not bad a'tall.

cheers /td

Rainger

Reaction score
Back in 1976 after training camp a person who worked with me came back from the camp, he would go to the camps each year in Cheny but did not like the Hawks.

He was calling them SeaChickens even back then. So I have been hearing that since the very first year.

Trying to find the first person to say it is futile. But it has been a way to put down the Hawks since their birth.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
hawksfan515":1kwujs7u said:
Honestly, Seacocks is much more offensive, and rolls better. Not sure why that hasn't taken over, probably because it involves a swear word.
Actually a seacock is actually a valve in the bottom of a boat so it really just sounds bad. Just sayin. :thirishdrinkers:

Shock2k

Reaction score
Beyond that, isn't the lamest fan "burn" throwing their team name "renamed" back at them. I've always found it the weakest retort, besides saying how many championships your team won before you were born.

WSUhawk4life

Reaction score
It doesn't really bother me when peeps call them the seachickens. Especially the last couple years

shawnsim

Reaction score
The Radish":2vs1k3yb said:
I would probably wager it was Chris Berman in ESPN, that's the first place I remember hearing it.

And I still shake my head at people that worry about a silly thing like a name when there are children starving in Cheney or somewhere.

:roll:

Berman used to call us the Seahacks all the time in the 90's.

I have heard Seachicken since at least the very early 80's. Funny though, I heard it more from our own upset fans than other teams fans.

minormillikin

Reaction score
I prefer to call them "seahags" when they are playing poorly, or occasionally, "sea slugs."

bingotown

Reaction score
Don't know heard it in the 80's. My boss of 15 yrs even calls me seaweed.

Latest posts