Question to the older hawk fans....

Happypuppy

Reaction score
It was post a Raiders game. The fans were saying it , that was the 1st time I heard it

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
rainger":1cp0648i said:
Back in 1976 after training camp a person who worked with me came back from the camp, he would go to the camps each year in Cheny but did not like the Hawks.

He was calling them SeaChickens even back then. So I have been hearing that since the very first year.

Being the oldest regular poster here, I can attest that this term has been used by opposing fans since our very first year of existence.

Twisted

Reaction score
the_12th_man":2jit1jah said:
Where the hell did the trash moniker "Seachickens" come from? As long as I've been a fan I have heard this absolutely terrible name for my beloved Seahawks and can't seem to find the answer. It's neither clever nor imaginative. At least things like "Seahags" kinda flows but I hear this stupid name by opposinng douches all the time and just don't get it. Now I know that their are fans on here who have been fans since the beginning so if someone could enlighten me I'd be very greatful. Thanks .netters!! And always "GO HAWKS!!!!"

its just from all those losing years they had back in the day, I mean the Hawks as an organization have lost some games..

I used to say Chicken Hawks just as a joke I don't get all tore up like some do when they lose so all the names meh, but yea those nics been around since the 70s don't worry about em its just part of the game every team has em

Da Bears... lol.. the Indianapolis Dolts, Green bay Hackers, every team...

the Seahawks as a team since their inaugural season in 1976 has went something like this in the win/loss category

1976 thru 1982

39-65

1983 (first wild card appearance) thru 1999

140-140

2001 thru 2012

100-91

overall W/L

280-300
post season 9-11
overall 289-311

so you can see overall they are 20 games below .500 for regular season and 23 games under .500 as a club regular + post season

a lot of fans are all about the winning and not just watching the excitement for entertainment purposes so their panties get all wadded up when their teams lose... lol

as you can see even during their best decade 2001 thru 2011 they are only 9 games over .500 even though they participated in 11 post season games..

I myself think its an honer just to have a pro football team way up here in the NW, as we all know we don't have the rating numbers most other teams have so maybe thats where the Hawks get a lot of that east coast bias?

but the nic name yea that comes from home, from the early years far as I can remember... ;)

Navyhawkfan187

Reaction score
Whenever a fan brings out a tired derogatory "nickname" for a team I assume I just won any argument with them and that they have no appreciable football knowledge.

drdiags

Reaction score
My inner-child, Popeye the Sailor cartoon loving self sort of likes the "Seahags".

"Uck, Uck, Uck, Uck ... its the Seahag!"

Olive Oyl was a floozy. Brutus was a stalker. Popeye was a steroid user. No wonder we are all messed up.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Navyhawkfan187":10se5bej said:
Whenever a fan brings out a tired derogatory "nickname" for a team I assume I just won any argument with them and that they have no appreciable football knowledge.

This.

I tend to avoid using the put-down nicknames and I think the last time name-calling bothered me at all I was probably in 7th grade.

Boiler

Reaction score
HawkAroundTheClock":2xwh8kb2 said:
I tend to avoid using the put-down nicknames and I think the last time name-calling bothered me at all I was probably in 7th grade.

Call me childish, but I still can't resist calling the Denver team the Donkeys.

I'm with the camp that says embrace the derogatory nicknames. For years I had a fantasy football team called the Seachickens.

400WattHPSHawk

Reaction score
drdiags":2ehvgquo said:
Olive Oyl was a floozy.

You take that back mister! Olive was no floozy. She was Hot and really really skinny. Olive was years ahead of todays emaciated supermodels.

The term seachickens goes as far back with me to the 70's. A friend of mine from florida called us that and we called our sister team from florida, Tampon bay.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Boiler":2fcaajlc said:
Call me childish, but I still can't resist calling the Denver team the Donkeys.

I'm with the camp that says embrace the derogatory nicknames. For years I had a fantasy football team called the Seachickens.

I don't have a problem with others using them, I just try not to.

BTW, you weren't in a Yahoo league called "NFC West Watchers" in 2010 and 2011, were you?

dunceface

Reaction score
I've been hearing this one all my Seahawks life (born in '82) and it is one of the least creative