Question

akscoundrel

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":awqx5fkr said:
akscoundrel":awqx5fkr said:
Hawks46":awqx5fkr said:
As a unit, the Seahawks OL last year was elite at run blocking, but that doesn't mean every OLman was elite.

I also haven't heard any written or unwritten rules stating that if you're good at run blocking, then you have to be terrible at pass blocking. If you're a good run blocker and an average pass blocker that doesn't make an elite OLman. For example, I've seen on this site many times that folks think Sweezy is elite. He grades out as a very good run blocker, but a poor pass blocker. I don't see how that's elite, and I don't see how he's going to over price himself come FA time.

If our OL was just league average across the board as pass protection, and we coupled that with Wilson's elite escape ability, our pass game would improve enormously. Go back and look at Cable's OL's over the years. All of them have been very good at run blocking, and not a one of them was ranked better than 26th as pass protection. So, 10 or so years of different offensive lines every year, and I don't even know how many players, and NONE of them can pass block ? Seriously ?

The common denominator is Cable. At some point, people are going to have to accept the fact that either Cable doesn't know how to teach pass blocking very well, or philosophically he doesn't give a crap about pass blocking. The original post has some merit, I don't see why we don't bring in a guy that can coach up the pass pro. At some point, Wilson is going to slow down and he's going to get crushed.

Disagreed. Run blocking has been average, perhaps *slightly* above average. Don't be giving credit due to lynch and Wilson to cable.

Lynch, the guy who's game is breaking tackles and making people miss, is who is making it all happen. Lynch's vision and footwork is what makes it happen. If we had a sorry back like some Trent Richardson, who only runs into the hole that the play calls for, we would have been in trouble a long time ago.

That said, because we have a lynch and a Wilson, I can live with average run blocking. I refuse to accept terrible pass blocking tho. Terrible was the last few years. Amazingly, we have managed to regress from terrible into something worse. They don't need to be all pro, but simply improving shouldn't be too much to ask for?
I love Lynch but he doesn't even rank in the top 10 in terms of RBs getting hit in the backfield. So let's not pretend he does everything single handedly.

I didn't. I clearly stated the run blocking is average, perhaps slightly above average. You go on to post the leagues worsts, as if 'worst''and 'average' are interchangeable words. And perhaps we would be in the league worsts if marshawn wasn't making guys whiff.

Not really sure what your counterargument is. Our rushing attack is great way more so because of Lynch, than it is cable. Cable you can replace and still have average blocking and poor pass pro. But marshawn? Those at big shoes to fill.

Marshawn-Lynch-cut.gif

OP
OP
seahawk12thman

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
Hawks46":2jtd0sde said:
As a unit, the Seahawks OL last year was elite at run blocking, but that doesn't mean every OLman was elite.

I also haven't heard any written or unwritten rules stating that if you're good at run blocking, then you have to be terrible at pass blocking. If you're a good run blocker and an average pass blocker that doesn't make an elite OLman. For example, I've seen on this site many times that folks think Sweezy is elite. He grades out as a very good run blocker, but a poor pass blocker. I don't see how that's elite, and I don't see how he's going to over price himself come FA time.

If our OL was just league average across the board as pass protection, and we coupled that with Wilson's elite escape ability, our pass game would improve enormously. Go back and look at Cable's OL's over the years. All of them have been very good at run blocking, and not a one of them was ranked better than 26th as pass protection. So, 10 or so years of different offensive lines every year, and I don't even know how many players, and NONE of them can pass block ? Seriously ?

The common denominator is Cable. At some point, people are going to have to accept the fact that either Cable doesn't know how to teach pass blocking very well, or philosophically he doesn't give a crap about pass blocking. The original post has some merit, I don't see why we don't bring in a guy that can coach up the pass pro. At some point, Wilson is going to slow down and he's going to get crushed.

This is along my sentiment. If we are the league WORST in pass blocking then just improving marginally can make a difference. If we have two other assistants then I suggest we get rid of them. To be at the bottom every year is asinine and Russell Wilson will eventually run out of luck. This has to be addressed and I am amazed that Carroll isn't more concerned.
Denver was a wake up call, next time we might not be so lucky.

For the Cable supporters, let him teach his zone blocking and bring his toughness to the running attack, I just think that we can't go anywhere but up when you are raked dead last...

OP
OP
seahawk12thman

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2atzfzii said:
? Didn't he lead the league in yards after contact?

Yes and just imagine if Lynch were out for the year for a second. Super Bowl dream is D-E-A-D.....

OP
OP
seahawk12thman

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":phx5ph3p said:
You could say that about MANY teams w/out their RB or QB. That's just how it works.

Which team couldn't recover from a running back loss? Minnesota Vikings?

Ozzy

Reaction score
I'm probably repeating what someone else wrote above but part of the problem is it takes a different physical skillset to excel at each. Sure you can have guys who are good at both but its tough to find. I think our staff banked on Wilson being able to avoid pressure and looked for guys who were great run blockers. My biggest complaint is I'm not really sure they were even successful in that. Wilson and Lynch probably cover multiple deficiencies....

beasthawk

Reaction score
This is a valid question but at the end of the B2B Sbs is good enough for me not to question anything they have done so far.