Questions/Observations

bbsplitter

Reaction score
Why didn't Ronald Martin start at FS? I thought the hub-bub this week was he was doing awesome and Pete said he would get a chance to start with Dion Bailey at SS, but come game time I don't think I saw him come in until the 2nd half. Terrell was in almost all the first have and if memory serves correctly he was beat/out of postion 3 or 4 different times.

How many snaps did Frank Clark actually play? I only remember seeing him for 3 or 4 snaps, one of which was his batted pass. I've seen a couple of comments about he didn't have the greatest game, but thats kinda hard to say about a guy who was barely in the game.

Did Jordan Hill have a significant presence in the game? After Pete saying that he was "living in the backfield" during practice last week, I was expected a little bit more pressure/impact from him.

I know it's only vs the 3rd stringers - but Jesse Williams continues to impress and I am pulling for him to make it, besides the insurmountable odds thrown his way.

The D-line overall I thought did very well, Michael Bennett being the standout, man did we get a "costco discount" with him. I think it's definitely the most depth we have had on the d-line. I was a little bit higher on Cassius Marsh then I am this year, I think I am coming back to the reality that he is just too small at this point - once he is in the system a little longer I have high hopes for what he is able to do. I think he is doing well dont get me wrong - he just shows on some plays that he is a little light.

Overall I have not been too impressed with Thomas Rawls, and I do not think he will make the 53. Rod Smith shows promise, I am not sure why he has been relegated to garbage time. I am not as down on Christine Michael as most people seem to be. I think he has progressed. He now switches sides with the ball often and consistently, and his pass blocking is much improved, as well as his willingness to do it. Yes he had a fumble and whiffed on one playcall, but I think he has shown major progression. Turbin was his usual self - solid - but needs a good run to be blocked for him.

For some reason I am more excited to see RJ Archer go in than RW. Maybe is because he is a little bit more of a gun-slinger then the ultra-conservative RW. Overall I like him, and while he most likely wont stick because TJack's contract is guaranteed, but I hope he finds a home.

Doug Baldwin has been pretty solid, consistently getting separation. I honestly don't think Kearse is talented enough to receive the tag he did for this year. Don't get me wrong I think he is a fair WR, but thats money that could be applied elsewhere, and we have young guys I would rather see stick around and be developed in his roster spot instead. I think that Norwood is basically Kearse with more consistent hands... and at a cheaper price. T-Lockett is a stud, thats been pretty well gone over at this point. Graham is gonna be excited to watch this year... especially towards the end of the year when him and Russell's connection gets stronger.

Oline was so-so, and that is a major improvement over last week, unfortunately. The only person I was really underwhelmed with was Nowak, I think this week they should keep the O-line the same except switch Nowak out for LMJ and see if that helps with the run game in the middle.

Fade

Reaction score
bbsplitter":391pidah said:
Why didn't Ronald Martin start at FS? I thought the hub-bub this week was he was doing awesome and Pete said he would get a chance to start with Dion Bailey at SS, but come game time I don't think I saw him come in until the 2nd half. Terrell was in almost all the first have and if memory serves correctly he was beat/out of postion 3 or 4 different times.

How many snaps did Frank Clark actually play? I only remember seeing him for 3 or 4 snaps, one of which was his batted pass. I've seen a couple of comments about he didn't have the greatest game, but thats kinda hard to say about a guy who was barely in the game.

Did Jordan Hill have a significant presence in the game? After Pete saying that he was "living in the backfield" during practice last week, I was expected a little bit more pressure/impact from him.

I know it's only vs the 3rd stringers - but Jesse Williams continues to impress and I am pulling for him to make it, besides the insurmountable odds thrown his way.

The D-line overall I thought did very well, Michael Bennett being the standout, man did we get a "costco discount" with him. I think it's definitely the most depth we have had on the d-line. I was a little bit higher on Cassius Marsh then I am this year, I think I am coming back to the reality that he is just too small at this point - once he is in the system a little longer I have high hopes for what he is able to do. I think he is doing well dont get me wrong - he just shows on some plays that he is a little light.

Overall I have not been too impressed with Thomas Rawls, and I do not think he will make the 53. Rod Smith shows promise, I am not sure why he has been relegated to garbage time. I am not as down on Christine Michael as most people seem to be. I think he has progressed. He now switches sides with the ball often and consistently, and his pass blocking is much improved, as well as his willingness to do it. Yes he had a fumble and whiffed on one playcall, but I think he has shown major progression. Turbin was his usual self - solid - but needs a good run to be blocked for him.

For some reason I am more excited to see RJ Archer go in than RW. Maybe is because he is a little bit more of a gun-slinger then the ultra-conservative RW. Overall I like him, and while he most likely wont stick because TJack's contract is guaranteed, but I hope he finds a home.

Doug Baldwin has been pretty solid, consistently getting separation. I honestly don't think Kearse is talented enough to receive the tag he did for this year. Don't get me wrong I think he is a fair WR, but thats money that could be applied elsewhere, and we have young guys I would rather see stick around and be developed in his roster spot instead. I think that Norwood is basically Kearse with more consistent hands... and at a cheaper price. T-Lockett is a stud, thats been pretty well gone over at this point. Graham is gonna be excited to watch this year... especially towards the end of the year when him and Russell's connection gets stronger.

Oline was so-so, and that is a major improvement over last week, unfortunately. The only person I was really underwhelmed with was Nowak, I think this week they should keep the O-line the same except switch Nowak out for LMJ and see if that helps with the run game in the middle.

-I don't know what the coaches see in Terrell, Ronald Martin is better I agree.

- Clark didn't play much because of a sore ankle.

- Jordan Hill didn't play.

- Jesse Williams is Nate Boyer ---> will be cut.

- Yup, the D-Line is the strongest unit of the team.

- Rod Smith needs to finish runs, they are both Practice Squad guys IMO.

- TJack contract in the end will Cost them $1 million in cap. Archer 500k > TJack 1.5 million

- Yup, Kearse costs more in 2 ways, in that he is impeding the young WRs developing while costing more money.

- Yup, Nowak was disappointing horrible eval on Cable's part. Patrick Lewis was better last year. Lewis / Lem FTW.

+ Nowak couldn't stick in JAX, but I gave Cable the benefit of the doubt. I need to stop doing that. :lol:

kearly

Reaction score
Pretty much agree with all that was posted above by BB and Fade.

Cable is well known for playing favorites for reasons other than raw talent (Mike Person, etc) and Nowak seems to be the latest example of that. There are times I wonder if he really likes these players or if it is more about him motivating the more talented players that he benches for them. That's not to say that Nowak is awful, but I do think we need a lot more than he offers in the run game and both LMJ and Lewis are strong run blockers.

I don't know if Jesse Williams makes it, but unlike his rookie year he seems to be pretty stout against the run this time around.

Kearse doesn't look any different to me than he ever has, it just feels like the Russell-to-Kearse connection is off to a slow start this year, whereas Lockett, Doug, and Graham already seem to be dialed in with Russ.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
kearly":tmf9ygps said:
Pretty much agree with all that was posted above by BB and Fade.

Cable is well known for playing favorites for reasons other than raw talent (Mike Person, etc) and Nowak seems to be the latest example of that. There are times I wonder if he really likes these players or if it is more about him motivating the more talented players that he benches for them. That's not to say that Nowak is awful, but I do think we need a lot more than he offers in the run game and both LMJ and Lewis are strong run blockers.

I don't know if Jesse Williams makes it, but unlike his rookie year he seems to be pretty stout against the run this time around.

Kearse doesn't look any different to me than he ever has, it just feels like the Russell-to-Kearse connection is off to a slow start this year, whereas Lockett, Doug, and Graham already seem to be dialed in with Russ.

Nowak is still learning the position. Cable made clear that Jeanpierre would play the first week, where he committed a penalty and was underwhelming as a run blocker, and Nowak would play the 2nd week. We saw more sloppiness from Nowak as a run blocker in this second game, though he did not allow any pressures in pass pro.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
bbsplitter":ao1gqiji said:

Clark played just 13 snaps after sitting out a few practices last week with the ankle sprain. He had one nice stop.

Hill was a late scratch with a groin injury.

Boom84

Reaction score
Ok, now everyone's opinion is valid...

I agree with the original points as well. I'm very curious to see the competition at center play out and defintely looking forward to any other lineup changes which will take place in the critical third game. I'm guessing Jean-Pierre will be given the start as the more experienced player (and one Wilson noted they've gone 6-0 when starting), to see if that is the final tweak needed before heading into the season.

Yes, Kearse remains an enigma and seemingly is not becoming more consistent in his craft. It's the consistency that keeps Baldwin ahead of his peers at this position and the player in the group who rises in this aspect will ascent to the actual #2 WR option this team sorely needs.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
People were saying that Kearse had his best training camp, is it coincidence that most of our LOB members are out and he's playing against rookies and new additions?

hawknation2015

Reaction score
I thought this play was a nice job blocking by the right side of the offensive line (Gilliam, Sweezy, and Nowak). If Michael breaks ONE tackle or if Sweezy gets there in time, he would have been off to the races.

CreepyImprobableBasilisk.gif

I would be curious to see what someone like Rod Smith (or really, any RB capable of breaking a tackle) could have done on this play. With the lack of carries for him and accompanying attention, I have a feeling Smith will be on the practice squad this year.

titan3131

Reaction score
If we ps ronald martin and lose him Im going to be pissed.

two dog

Reaction score
titan3131":ap81ija9 said:

Me too. I don't think Martin will make the 53 ahead of Bailey but is certainly
to be preferred over Terrell. He's one of those players that will make the
'Hawks regret it if he ends up on another team's roster.

kearly

Reaction score
titan3131":2pgtqbkp said:

Seattle kept four safeties after the final roster cut last Summer, this time they might entertain the thought of five on a short term basis if Kam holds out into the regular season. I don't know if Martin sticks on the roster all year but he might have a shot to make it and stick for as long as Kam holds out.

Seattle might also move Shead to corner on a more permanent basis to free up a spot for Martin. Our corner group feels just a bit less crowded than we are accustomed to, so it is an option if they want it. Shead's versatility (if he makes the roster) makes it so that Seattle might choose a safety vs. corner scenario for the last DB roster spot and then flex Shead to compensate.

Cartire

Reaction score
Fade":z5xoij5p said:
- TJack contract in the end will Cost them $1 million in cap. Archer 500k > TJack 1.5 million

Yea...... i cant agree with that. A veteran backup who can get thrown in at any second is > then rookie backup being thrown to the wolves. Well worth the $1M. Archer had a nice game this week. He had an abysmal game last week. Both games were against 2/3rd stringers.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Interesting thoughts. I agree that TJack's contract might suddenly seem worth it if Russ has to come out of our week 9 game against the Cardinals in the third quarter and we have a 14-10 lead. It's insurance that we hope we don't need.

I think Daniels may make the inactives every week as a three way backup. That would kill the chances of Archer making the 53 but Archer seems like a solid PS candidate.

Nowak was a converted DL-OG with the Jags, right? It seems early to write off his capabilities at C in his first live experience with it. He seemed fine in pass protection and I would expect him to improve as a run blocker as he gains familiarity with the position.

Shead has been really impressive. How many other SS/CB tweeners have there been?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
My observations from preseason game 2 -

Positives -
Seahawk #1 defense is ready for the regular season
Lockett is going to be a very good player. He had a great game receiving.
Kasen Williams is making a good case to be on the top 53.
McGill solid up front
Archer looked much improved this game
Shead, Bailey, and Tye Smith looked good

Negatives -
Seahawk offense is a work in progress. They only put up a total of 6 points and zero tds. Specifically, Wilson played the entire first half and they only put up 3 points on offense. Need major improvement on offense as a whole.
Steven Terrell....not sure why the Seahawks are high on him. He was atrocious last year and hasn't improved much this year so far.
Rubin is a liability in the run game. When Mebane went out, KC piled up the rushing yards.
Seahawks had too many penalties on defense extending Chief drives. Roughing the passer, offsides.

Fade

Reaction score
Cartire":30j5nqoi said:
Fade":30j5nqoi said:

Yea...... i cant agree with that. A veteran backup who can get thrown in at any second is > then rookie backup being thrown to the wolves. Well worth the $1M. Archer had a nice game this week. He had an abysmal game last week. Both games were against 2/3rd stringers.

In the end it won't matter because TJack is fully guaranteed. That extra Million might have been enough to sign Evan Mathis, just saying.

Cartire

Reaction score
Fade":19rlkny7 said:
Cartire":19rlkny7 said:
Fade":19rlkny7 said:

In the end it won't matter because TJack is fully guaranteed. That extra Million might have been enough to sign Evan Mathis, just saying.

I doubt the difference is a million dollars to sign him or not. After reading his musings on reddit today, I have a hard to time thinking a million makes the difference. He either wants to be here or doesnt at this point. If someone is offering a ton more, then he probably takes it, but a million dollar difference, naw, that wouldnt have mattered.

Seafan

Reaction score
bbsplitter":2ag08slf said:

Archer is a safe bet for the PS. There are likely to be better QBs on the waiver list. But I agree I like to watch him play. The Terrell thing is a head scratcher to me as well. It will be interesting to see who starts at FS this week.

The Hawks really can pick just about anyone to fill out the depth at WR after TLock, ADB and CMatt. There will be plenty to fill out the PS.

If people are wondering about Pat Lewis, he was the slowest OL last season and he came to camp heavier and slower.

Latest posts