Quinn to interview with 9ers

mikeak

Reaction score
kearly":13v4i1lt said:
Rex Ryan to Atlanta seems like the most obvious hire that probably won't happen.

Honest question and not making fun or using sarcasm

Why do you think that replacing a defensively minded coach in Smith with another defensively minded coach in Rex will work for Atlanta.

Atlanta is a dome team with great WRs, I admit that they had issues on the defensive side so maybe it is just Smith not being very good at defense compared to Rex but curious on the thoughts that make this the most obvious hire.

kearly

Reaction score
Mike Smith sucks. The biggest fake tough guy in the NFL. His team reflected that.

Rex Ryan is almost the perfect opposite of Smith. Smart coach, charming, players love him, but lordy he cannot mold a QB or passing offense to save his life. He needs to go somewhere with a passing offense already built for him, preferably one that isn't going to feel old in five years.

Atlanta needs a coach who will instill toughness and build a fearsome pass defense. Rex to Atlanta is a match made in heaven, IMO.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Wenhawk":1micqr9r said:
Holmgren would be a good fit for SF. Offensive guy, good with QBs, classy, familiar to the culture there and it is probably his dream job.

Holmgren won't accept the job without some kind of control over the roster. Anybody who thinks otherwise has not been paying attention to his history. From all of the info coming out of SF, Baalke controls and will continue to control the roster, period. :?

Seanhawk

Reaction score
kearly":2owhoawc said:
Mike Smith sucks. The biggest fake tough guy in the NFL. His team reflected that.

Rex Ryan is almost the perfect opposite of Smith. Smart coach, charming, players love him, but lordy he cannot mold a QB or passing offense to save his life. He needs to go somewhere with a passing offense already built for him, preferably one that isn't going to feel old in five years.

Atlanta needs a coach who will instill toughness and build a fearsome pass defense. Rex to Atlanta is a match made in heaven, IMO.

Spot on. Mike Smith is a joke. If you watched Hard Knocks, he just walked around saying "We need to be tougher" the whole time. That was it. Zero actual coaching.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Seafan":1ujrfor6 said:
So is Rex Ryan. I'd love for Ryan to get that job and would hate if Quinn does.
I would not love Ryan there

Hawks46

Reaction score
homerun1970":btzdeuyc said:
Bradley is improving the Jags but I don't think the 3-13 record is the turnaround they envisioned. They do lack talent and Gus has picked off what he can from Seattle and other teams. I just say Fangio as D coordinator is far from the problem in SC. That defense played really well especially when you consider the injuries and distractions.

I think someone will take Quinn but I doubt highly its the 9ers. If we go all the way again maybe no one snags him.

Good observation. They lost Bowman all year, Willis for at least half of the year, and Aldon Smith for a good portion of the year. Their DL was pretty injury ridden as well, and they still ended up with a top 3 defense. They developed young talent and know what the future brings on the defensive side of the ball.

They need someone to figure out what's going on with the offense and Kaepernick. If they hired Rex Ryan, it would torpedo the next 5 years for them, as well as any sort of future for Ryan as a head coach.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Wenhawk":mzgm6k5f said:
Holmgren would be a good fit for SF. Offensive guy, good with QBs, classy, familiar to the culture there and it is probably his dream job.

Holmgren would be a horrible fit.

Kaepernick could not run his West Coast Offense and his coaching style would make the 49ers the softest team in the NFC West.

Don't get me wrong, I think Holmgren was a good coach. But hist style doesn't fit with this division anymore. He would be run over.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2wfc99qt said:
Wenhawk":2wfc99qt said:

Holmgren would be a horrible fit.

Kaepernick could not run his West Coast Offense and his coaching style would make the 49ers the softest team in the NFC West.

Don't get me wrong, I think Holmgren was a good coach. But hist style doesn't fit with this division anymore. He would be run over.

Have to agree here. I would love to see Holmy take the 9er job. It would take him several years to establish his offense and by then the players on defense that make it special would all be gone.

As much as I like Holmgren I would love the security of two easy wins each year for the foreseeable future.

vonstout

Reaction score
Quinn is on the list of Bears head coaching candidates. They certainly need defensive overhaul, but Midwest sports talk radio seem to think he is more likely to go to the Jets.

OP
OP
Seafan

Seafan

Reaction score
Mike Shanahan will also be interviewing with the 9ers. Please, please, please.

Uffda

Reaction score
No coaches on active team ie. playoff team at the moment, can accept a new job until they're team is eliminated, I believe.

seabowl

Reaction score
rainger":2dra38s7 said:
el capitan":2dra38s7 said:
I really hope Dan Quinn isn't the next 9ers HC, I'd hate to have to root for him to fail.
THIS:

The one thing I'm against is a coach from our team going to a division rival. I personally would try and thwart the move because they know too much on how we operate.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I don't like Quinn going to the Niners for obvious reasons, but Rex Ryan might concern me even more. Ryan could get an OC in there and with that defensive talent he could seriously motivate that team in ways Harbaugh wouldn't.

Ryan would bring Redneck to SF and he would surely recognize rivalry action. They already run the ball and play defense, right up Rex's alley, but adding an offensive guru in to help with their under-developed QB could change the production quickly. Especially if they retained Fangio.

I know it sounds foolish, but SF has the roster that the Jets never gave Ryan.

A

Anonymous

At the end of the day, I want what's best for Quinn.

The guy has done an outstanding job doing what he has been asked to do. Whether that means actually masterminding the intricate nuances of our league-leading defense, or just following strict marching orders from above and being more in touch with players as a teacher of the game. Whatever he and his associates are doing it is working and he deserves the opportunity to advance himself in employment just like every one of us do.

When it comes to any trade secrets going to the enemy, and the impending threat of the complete meltdown of our remaining staff because if it, I call BS.

If Quinn finds a fit in that HC spot, and is given that opportunity, there are going to be a whole lot of other aspects of his new job that are going to be far and away more important than simply duplicating scheme and player attributes on D.

That Niners unit needs an offense.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I wonder how difficult it is for our staff to work together on our game plans while simultaneously interviewing against each other for a multitude of head coaching gigs with other teams?