Raashad Penny

getnasty

Reaction score
themunn":77yeklaw said:
TalontedNoseRider":77yeklaw said:
Penny has now played 27 games for the Seahawks in three years. His average......2.3 yards.

?
He has a 5.1 yard career avg?

I'm no fan of Penny but he's been productive when he's played. Maybe the 2.3 is yards after contact? Feel like the OP just made it up out of hate for Penny.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
BASF":drb34na9 said:
Aros":drb34na9 said:
Yes he played behind backups but the OP is dead on. If it looks like a bust, smells like bust....

How can anyone call a player that has not been healthy a bust? The term is supposed to denote someone who has underperformed when he has the opportunities. Penny when he has been available has not played to the level of a bust.

That is not my own personal definition of a bust. While I agree, many view the term in your light, I personally view a bust as a player who has not panned out after a set amount of time after being drafted whether it is due to availability or underperformance or both. So far, Penny, in my definition of the term, is very much a bust.

seabowl

Reaction score
Bosworth even said it about himself "he busted". His was due to injury as with Penney so far too.

mikeak

Reaction score
Penny cannot create on his own

When he is in with backups then that leads to such an abysmal showing.

If we have a good line that opens up running holes or he can come with speed out of the backfield then he is a good weapon.

He will never be an every down back, he is more a Sproles type player.

So I would like to see him with starters and that he stays healthy before I give up on him.

If he can't stay healthy or fall forward then someone else is needed

mikeak

Reaction score
:180670:
ryank24":nvpkdf6v said:
No need to make up bogus stats to try to prove your point. Penny is averaging 5.1 yards per carry over his 27 games...not 2.3. His problem isn't that he looks bad on the field, it's that he hasn't been available. Hopefully he stays healthy this year because I'd love to see him succeed.

Yes the quoted stats are wrong, but Penny still looks bad on the field.

He has a few long runs that makes his average look good. Yeah they count, but he has a ton of runs for very limited yardage.

The problem is in the PC ball control, slow moving offense you have to get positive yardage on almost every run. Penny does not do this. So you can have a good average when every other run is 0-1 yards

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
When Penny was first getting burn, (a few seasons ago), he had some really good runs.

He isn't a bell cow, he isn't an up the gut type of RB.

The Sproles example is great. He is a lesser Sproles, which is not bad to have.

He is a receiving back and a guy that you use for sweeps, endarounds, etc.

He will probably be solid somewhere else as a change of direction back.

He does seem to have lost some burst since his injury though, but I don't think he was ever that kind of RB you run up the middle regularly with.

Of all the problems this team has, I still think this is a weird one to be concerned about.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
mikeak":avrdizql said:
Penny cannot create on his own

When he is in with backups then that leads to such an abysmal showing.

If we have a good line that opens up running holes or he can come with speed out of the backfield then he is a good weapon.

While not disagreeing this probably refers to every RB in NFL history and a bunch of posters on this board.

keasley45

Reaction score
The issue i see with Penny is that he seems more interested in hitting the big play on every carry than he does just churning out drive sustaining yards and taking the big hitter when it comes. i'm not sure if its because he's been used to being a #1 and is trying to make the most of his opportunities by cashing in big to justify being elevated above Carson or what. Just seems like he's always dancing in the backfield, changing direction, or looking to bounce it outside rather than just hitting the hole and seeing what he can get on the other side. And that type of running style is a hard thing to build into an offense that's trying to maintain rhythm and stack first downs because its often feast of famine.

Id be interested to see what his YPC are if you take out runs over 15 yards.

Carson may not get you the 50 yard pop, but he can hit 4 to 10 yards a pop all day. More workman like, but also much more reliable. That's what makes the guy hard to pull.

You can get to 5 YPC buy going 0,0,0,2,0,3,30. That's Penny.

Or

You can get there by going 3,5,2,7,7,4,7. That's Carson.

Chances are your offense is going to be more effective in scenario 2 than scenario 1. But everybody remembers the 30 yard carry and forgets the drive stalling no gainers, or 1 yard duds.

Elemas

Reaction score
Hindsight is 20/20. I wouldn’t of picked a RB that year I’m the first round. But, I would’ve definitely put Chubb ahead of Penny.

That knee injury would’ve been hard to put in perspective though…

Crazy how that worked out with Penny injuring his knee and all.

As fans, I’m sure we’d all like to see Penny play up to first round RB par. We’ll see.

ryank24

Reaction score
mikeak":z5y425pu said:
:180670:
ryank24":z5y425pu said:
No need to make up bogus stats to try to prove your point. Penny is averaging 5.1 yards per carry over his 27 games...not 2.3. His problem isn't that he looks bad on the field, it's that he hasn't been available. Hopefully he stays healthy this year because I'd love to see him succeed.

Yes the quoted stats are wrong, but Penny still looks bad on the field.

He has a few long runs that makes his average look good. Yeah they count, but he has a ton of runs for very limited yardage.

The problem is in the PC ball control, slow moving offense you have to get positive yardage on almost every run. Penny does not do this. So you can have a good average when every other run is 0-1 yards

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say Penny is outstanding, especially in the hawks offense. But I feel like the ball control thing is Chris Carson's job and Penny's role is the backup who can hit home runs.

He's got 161 carries at this point. Not nearly enough for a 3 year career, but a large enough sample size that over 5 yards per carry isn't a fluke. So again, I don't think the issue is his actual performance on the field, because when he's on the field he's shown the ability to be effective. The biggest problem with him is only playing in 27 games through 3 years.

But I think the bigger problem was drafting a running back in the first round, only to use him as a back up. He's never going to live up to to that draft position in a role like that, and for a RB you pretty much need to be the work horse from day 1 to be worth a first round pick.

Fade

Reaction score
It's a damn shame what happened to Penny.

In 2019 midway through the year he finally turned the corner. He moved past his Fortnight addiction, cleaned up his diet, shed 10 Ibs of bad weight. He had big games against Philly and Minny and then he shredded his knee.

Dallas & Collins would do fine gobbling up his carries, Penny just doesn't seem to have the explosive burst he once had post injury. It has to be a consideration to cut him at this point. I haven't been to practices this year so I don't have the info the coaches have, but in the games so far it looks pretty bad for him. Penny is running out of time.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I was high on Penny but the knee might have done him in..It happens.
I don't care for Homer or Dallas but Collins is interesting.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Collins is just awful, I'll take my chances with Penny, thanks.

knownone

Reaction score
Penny will be fine. He got most of his touches with backup linemen going against the Broncos starters. He may never live up to his draft status, but he'll be fine as a rotational back with upside.

3-2-16-4-6

Reaction score
I've been watching 2018 and 2019 games and when he played he had some really bright moments. I'm always hopeful he turns the corner back to what he looked like early on before the injuries. I was actually shocked re-watching the games how good he looked at times. I'd obviously rather him succeed than fail as for what it means for the Hawks this year and the fact that RB depth has hurt us pretty good the last few years.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":3hfl7wg9 said:
Collins is just awful, I'll take my chances with Penny, thanks.

I'm sure Pete agrees, but as of now Penny can't be trusted due to his injury history to be a dependable backup to Carson.

Thus the need for Collins and Dallas. Most important trait in the NFL is availability, and Penny has gone the way of Prosise, flashes of greatness mired by injury after injury.

Chapow

Reaction score
Elemas":1ywyzywg said:
Hindsight is 20/20. I wouldn’t of picked a RB that year I’m the first round. But, I would’ve definitely put Chubb ahead of Penny.

That knee injury would’ve been hard to put in perspective though…

Crazy how that worked out with Penny injuring his knee and all.

As fans, I’m sure we’d all like to see Penny play up to first round RB par. We’ll see.

Just for some perspective, Bill Belichick also took a RB in the 1st round of that very same draft, just 4 picks after the Seahawks took Penny, and just like the Seahawks, Belichick passed on Chubb for a different guy.

Point being, everyone likes to act like taking Chubb was a no brainer and not doing so was basically negligent because it was so obvious that Chubb was going to be a stud or something, but that was clearly not the case. No one thought Chubb was going to become the player he has. If they had, he wouldn't have lasted until the 2nd round. Also, Chubb was the 4th player drafted by the Browns in that draft. It's not like he was super highly coveted by them either.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Was that Sony Michel with 28 games started and 2292 yards rushing?

Penny with zero career starts and 823 yards rushing.

Chapow

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":3oquc7sn said:
Was that Sony Michel with 28 games started and 2292 yards rushing?

Penny with zero career starts and 823 yards rushing.

Yes, it was Sony Michel. Who has also been no where near as good as Chubb, and who Belichick just traded for what is likely to be a late 5th round pick and a late 6th. Which sure isn't much for a guy that was drafted in the 1st round just 3 years ago. And keep in mind that the Patriots don't exactly have a stable of great, or even really good RB's, and they were still happy to get rid of him for not much.

Latest posts