Raiders pursuing Lynch

Nog

Reaction score
Oh wait, the Raiders want Marshawn to be released? :lol: How about a feet massage?

c_hawkbob

Reaction score
As a Seahawks fan I hope it happens for whatever we'd get from the Raiders for his rights.

As a Beast Mode fan if it's what he wants do do I'd be happy for him.

As a football fan I hope it happens because I just like watching his brand of football!

DJrmb

Reaction score
Love Lynch but if he wants to come back now and go play for his home team it has to be fair for Seattle too. We bent over backwards to accommodate all of his quirks and demands and ripped up his deal to give him more money when he asked for it (which in my opinion directly lead to Kam holding out). We should at least get a 5th or 6th from Oakland for his rights and if they want to be stingy and wait for us to release Lynch I trade him to Cleveland for a 7th...

It's not like Lynch won't adjust his contract if Oakland trades for him... Pony up.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
DJrmb":1bdmigq1 said:
Love Lynch but if he wants to come back now and go play for his home team it has to be fair for Seattle too. We bent over backwards to accommodate all of his quirks and demands and ripped up his deal to give him more money when he asked for it (which in my opinion directly lead to Kam holding out). We should at least get a 5th or 6th from Oakland for his rights and if they want to be stingy and wait for us to release Lynch I trade him to Cleveland for a 7th...

It's not like Lynch won't adjust his contract if Oakland trades for him... Pony up.
Good post!

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
dutchcoug":hbcrcvj3 said:
Uncle Si":hbcrcvj3 said:
Hawkfan77":hbcrcvj3 said:
It's not like this is coming from ian rappaport. If Adam Schefter says it, I believe it's real. And why wouldn't it it be real?

Exactly.

they just lost Murray to the Vikings, seemingly have little interest in AP and Lynch's ties to the Oakland area are substantial.

This is not a made up story. It may never happen, but it makes sense for Oakland to look at it. Is Lynch any worse than Charles at this point?

Do things change if they're the Las Vegas Raiders?
They probably would be in Vegas for a couple of years. If it did happen I don't see Lynch lasting 2 years.

randomation

Reaction score
If we are eating the bonus we either need to get a pick back or a decent Oline type person.

ringless

Reaction score
randomation":k1n0fwya said:
If we are eating the bonus we either need to get a pick back or a decent Oline type person.

He's not a UFA. He's under contact with Seattle. Lunch can force his release, and Seattle could get nothing. He could say pay me 9 million that you don't have. Or release me. You can't say Lynch owes anyone anything because it's well known. "Lynch marches to his own beat"

Foghawk

Reaction score
DJrmb":xnb13ils said:

(Gasp) :shock: ...................the ultimate threat, we'll send you to Cleveland. I like the way you think. :lol:

chris98251

Reaction score
If I am Pete and John I look at Oakland's roster and see which Lineman or Linebacker I want and then offer a deal.

This place would explode if Sherman Lynch trade happened for O Lineman and Linebacker swaps.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Seahawks vs Raiders in Super bowl
Lynch runs it in from the one yard line for the winning TD with no time left...... :stirthepot:

randomation

Reaction score
ringless":2faqk1vi said:
randomation":2faqk1vi said:

He's not a UFA. He's under contact with Seattle. Lunch can force his release, and Seattle could get nothing. He could say pay me 9 million that you don't have. Or release me. You can't say Lynch owes anyone anything because it's well known. "Lynch marches to his own beat"

We don't have to pay him anything until august and we didn't pursue recouping the signing bonus of 5 mil when he retired that we could have. If he decides to screw over the org they would be well witihin grounds to either pursue the signing bonus or just hold onto him until right before he has to be paid. I hope the raiders just give us either picks or a worthwhile player but we have no reason to just release him after eating the signing bonus. I love beast but this is still a business.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
We can easily free up the money to re-activate him, even though we probably wouldn't have to. As I said in another thread, re-activate him and give him the option of repaying a pro-rated portion of the signing bonus if he wants to go to Oakland. Otherwise, we will shop him around.

I'm guessing we would get either a 5th, or a conditional 5th.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
bigskydoc":mnpqj9dk said:
We can easily free up the money to re-activate him, even though we probably wouldn't have to. As I said in another thread, re-activate him and give him the option of repaying a pro-rated portion of the signing bonus if he wants to go to Oakland. Otherwise, we will shop him around.

And as I just said in another thread ( :lol: ;) ) shop him around to who?!?

Which team is it that's going to give up trade assets for the right to pay Marshawn Lynch 9 million dollars this year?

I'd say Lynch has the Hawks by the short and curlies, but he doesn't at all, because he doesn't have anything that they want. Once he applies for reinstatement the Seahawks have to acknowledge the obvious: they don't want him on their team for the money they agreed to pay him.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1flwi80v said:
bigskydoc":1flwi80v said:

And as I just said in another thread ( :lol: ;) ) shop him around to who?!?

Which team is it that's going to give up trade assets for the right to pay Marshawn Lynch 9 million dollars this year?

I'd say Lynch has the Hawks by the short and curlies, but he doesn't at all, because he doesn't have anything that they want. Once he applies for reinstatement the Seahawks have to acknowledge the obvious: they don't want him on their team for the money they agreed to pay him.

Shop him around to who? Umm, how about just about any team that doesn't already have a RB they are paying nearly 10m to?

If there is a market for Adrian Peterson and Jamal Charles then there certainly is for Marshawn Lynch. Plus there is nothing saying Seattle can't make it conditional on Lynch playing for them. How about this: Hey (Cleveland or Houston or Jacksonville or whoever), here's a borderline HoF RB for a conditional 7th round pick. If he retires again and doesn't play for you then you don't have to pay him and don't have to give up a draft pick. If he stays unretired you have one of the best RB's of the decade for a year and then likely get a comp pick for him after he signs with Oakland next year.

Plus whoever trades for him isn't locked into paying him jack sh*t. Why wouldn't they take that chance? No risk on their end. If they end up having to release him then they pay him nothing. Lynch isn't guaranteed 9M at all.

Lynch does not have the leverage here, you are severely mistaken. If he did he wouldn't be asking the team for his release, he would have just signed the papers and been reinstated.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
DJrmb":17zqbutt said:
If there is a market for Adrian Peterson and Jamal Charles then there certainly is for Marshawn Lynch.

The market for Peterson and Charles? :lol: :lol:

These guys have yet to catch on anywhere and they're also free agents, meaning that a hypothetical team that does sign them gets to negotiate the terms of the deal.

If someone trades for Lynch they also get his contract, meaning they have to give up assets to make Lynch -- who was injured and wildly ineffective two years ago and out of football last year -- the second highest paid back in the NFL.

C'mon man, which team is going to do that?

DJrmb":17zqbutt said:
Plus whoever trades for him isn't locked into paying him jack sh*t.

Yes they absolutely are. His base salary for next year is 9 million. If they trade for him they either have to pay him his contract value or he has to agree to restructure.

And why would he agree to restructure at a place he doesn't want to go to when he can just sit around and wait for the Seahawks to cut him and go wherever he wants?

DJrmb

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1fti2w9w said:
DJrmb":1fti2w9w said:
Plus whoever trades for him isn't locked into paying him jack sh*t.

Yes they absolutely are. His base salary for next year is 9 million. If they trade for him they either have to pay him his contract value or he has to agree to restructure.

And why would he agree to restructure at a place he doesn't want to go to when he can just sit around and wait for the Seahawks to cut him and go wherever he wants?

No, they absolutely are not. If his salary was guaranteed when he is reinstated then what would Seattle get from releasing him? If a team trades for Lynch and it doesn't work out or he is being a jerk then they can release him and not pay him in some scenarios.

Marshawn Lynch has a base salary of 7M in 2017 with a 3M roster bonus (for being on the team in March).
3/6/2015: Signed a three-year, $31 million contract. The deal contains $12 million guaranteed -- a $7.5 million signing bonus and Lynch's first-year base salary. 2017: $7 million (+ $3 million roster bonus due in March), 2018: Free Agent
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4186/marshawn-lynch

The only tricky part is that 3M roster bonus. I don't know what day exactly it matures. If it is already past the date it would mature then he's lost that money already (which is possible) and he would only be owed 7M of non-guaranteed money. If not then Seattle may have to pay him 3M or another team if they trade for him but that's all he would be guaranteed to earn. That would definitely be a hindrance in any trade scenarios if the roster bonus fell on the team trading for Lynch but it's also something Seattle could choose to eat if need be to get something out of Lynch as they could reclaim 2.5M from his signing bonus to offset the 3M they'd owe him for a net of -500k.

The Seahawks have retained Lynch’s contract rights while he’s been on their reserve/retired list through 2017 under the contract extension he signed before the 2015 season. That deal included a $7.5 signing bonus. Lynch would be, according to letter of the league’s collective bargaining agreement, subject to paying back the 2016 proration on that signing bonus, a sum of $2.5 million for the season he was “retired.”

Read more here: http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/nf ... rylink=cpy

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Sleeping on this, Popeye is right on the money, and I was wrong. Lynch can pretty much dictate what he wants at this point.

The idea of shopping him around only works with a normal player who wants to play football and keep earning. If Lynch was still wanting to play, we could easily shop him around. In fact I bet the Niners would be near the top of the list of suitors.

That's not Lynch. He doesn't want to just play football, nor does he need to earn money. He wants to play football for Oakland (if rumors are correct), and that is the only team he would sign a contract with.

No team is going to trade for him, knowing he won't sign a contract with them, even if they have the cap space and the desire to pay him 9 million or more. Sure we can reinstate him and trade him to another team, but every team knows he isn't going to sign a contract with anyone but Oakland, so they aren't going to trade with us.

Oakland knows this, so they have no incentive to trade with us.

Lynch holds all the cards. If he truly wants to play for Oakland, all he has to do is apply for reinstatement, and be patient.

Maybe Oakland throws us a bone, but I doubt it.

Josea16

Reaction score
bigskydoc":2hou0uxw said:
Sleeping on this, Popeye is right on the money, and I was wrong. Lynch can pretty much dictate what he wants at this point.

The idea of shopping him around only works with a normal player who wants to play football and keep earning. If Lynch was still wanting to play, we could easily shop him around. In fact I bet the Niners would be near the top of the list of suitors.

That's not Lynch. He doesn't want to just play football, nor does he need to earn money. He wants to play football for Oakland (if rumors are correct), and that is the only team he would sign a contract with.

No team is going to trade for him, knowing he won't sign a contract with them, even if they have the cap space and the desire to pay him 9 million or more. Sure we can reinstate him and trade him to another team, but every team knows he isn't going to sign a contract with anyone but Oakland, so they aren't going to trade with us.

Oakland knows this, so they have no incentive to trade with us.

Lynch holds all the cards. If he truly wants to play for Oakland, all he has to do is apply for reinstatement, and be patient.

Maybe Oakland throws us a bone, but I doubt it.
Thank God you have been wrong on many things more then right in my view. So call me skeptical about your opinion and Popeye's on this subject.

DJrmb

Reaction score
If Lynch holds all the cards and leverage and wants to play for Oakland then why hasn't he filed his reinstatement papers yet??? There are plenty of things Seattle could do to keep Lynch from ever going to Oakland (at least anytime soon) if Oakland/Lynch want to go down that route. The best thing for everyone would just be for Oakland to throw Seattle a late round pick for his rights.