Raiders pursuing Lynch

Popeyejones

Reaction score
DJrmb":2tkwvgtf said:
If Lynch holds all the cards and leverage and wants to play for Oakland then why hasn't he filed his reinstatement papers yet??? There are plenty of things Seattle could do to keep Lynch from ever going to Oakland (at least anytime soon) if Oakland/Lynch want to go down that route. The best thing for everyone would just be for Oakland to throw Seattle a late round pick for his rights.

Who knows why he hasn't. Maybe this whole story is nonsense. Maybe the Hawks and Raiders are trying to work out some tokenistic compensation. Maybe everyone is scrambling around trying to figure out what happens with the 2.5 in this situation in this version of the CBA.

If Lynch gets reinstated there really aren't plenty of the things the Seahawks can do to keep him from going to Oakland.

There's only one thing they could do: pay him the money they would owe him to play for the Seahawks this year.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
DJrmb":2sb1rp3i said:
Marshawn Lynch has a base salary of 7M in 2017 with a 3M roster bonus (for being on the team in March).
3/6/2015: Signed a three-year, $31 million contract. The deal contains $12 million guaranteed -- a $7.5 million signing bonus and Lynch's first-year base salary. 2017: $7 million (+ $3 million roster bonus due in March), 2018: Free Agent
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4186/marshawn-lynch

FWIW, I went to your link and then to the story that's the top mention at it, which is Sheil Kapadia over at ESPN saying exactly what I've been saying this whole time:

http://www.espn.com/blog/seattle-seahaw ... elease-him

(they only thing I disagree w/ him about is that I think he's underestimating the Hawks' salary cap draft allocation by a couple million, but I could be wrong about that).

DJrmb

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3ds8htyf said:
There's only one thing they could do: pay him the money they would owe him to play for the Seahawks this year.
We'll just have to agree to disagree on this part I think. In my view if Houston can find a trade partner to dump Osweiler, then I don't think it's impossible for Seattle to find someone to take Lynch. Yes, I would even be willing to go as far as Houston and give someone a pick to eat Marshawns contract and guarantee he never gets to play for Oakland if he wants to push it.

Also I wouldn't underestimate the owners/teams being willing to figure something out with a guy like Lynch that has pissed off plenty of people. John Schneider surely has some friends around the league that he could reach out to if Lynch goes too far with his demands. You don't think that the 9ers would do a conditional 7th round pick for Lynch where they only have to give that pick if he plays for them?

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Josea16":34f0r6e3 said:
Thank God you have been wrong on many things more then right in my view. So call me skeptical about your opinion and Popeye's on this subject.

Since, in your vast (3 month) history here you have seen me be wrong so many times, you should have no difficulty listing them. I'm one of the few posters who stands by my predictions, and points out when I've been mistaken without having to be prompted. For example, my opinion that Ezekiel Elliott was a bad pick for Dallas and they should have bolstered their defense instead. At the end of the season, I brought the thread up and pointed out that I was wrong.

At least I put my opinion out there rather than just taking pot shots at other people's opinions.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
After the league meetngs this whole thing could be clarified.

If Lynch actually really does to unretire, and wants to play in Oakland, and if Oakland wants him, then the framework of a potential deal or no deal can be established; presuming Seattle will trade his rights. The issue after those is what will he want to be paid, b/c I'm pretty sure any deal would be conditional upon Lynch redoing his contract?

Lots of "ifs" there, before anything can be done.

the recent news of the team leaving Oakland may well be some impetus to get this done.

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
Not realistic at all, but it would be cool if they could get a conditional 5th or 6th for the Beast. If the Raiders make the playoffs, it turns into a 4th and if they win the whole thing the pick turns into a 1st or a 2nd.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
seahawksny":13neibnc said:
They Didnt like how he answered the questions, yet they ( like a bunch of morons), kept asking him questions.
Perhaps the media just realized that his employer contractually obligates him along with every other NFL player to make themselves available to the media to a reasonable extent. The NFL is not just a "play football" game; speaking to reporters is part of your job duties if they want to speak to you.