Raiders talking to San Antonio Tx.

HansGruber

Reaction score
The Raiders belong in LA and should swap places with the Rams into the NFCW. That would pretty much rule

HansGruber

Reaction score
LA got screwed by the Raiders and the worst part is all the bogus crap about LA not supporting a team. Growing up in LA, living there during the Raiders Era, that whole town was Raiders country. EVERY Angelino wore the black and silver (the Rams fans mostly lived in Pasadena, OC, and the outlying suburbs). The Coliseum sold out every weekend and was the most memorable stadium experience I've ever encountered outside of Seattle. That place was intimidating to Raiders fans. It's not right what Al Davis did to Marcus Allen and the LA fans. Now the NFL talks about building a stadium there and moving some other team? Where was that support when the Raiders wanted a stadium? That's the whole reason they moved to begin with. Bad business by the NFL. And it proves that Al Davis had a point when he said the other owners were out to screw him.

I've got a real love hate relationship with the Raiders and even I can see how wrong it is that second rate franchises like Buffalo get NFL backing for new stadiums while the NFL goes out of its way to screw the Raiders. The Raiders are good for football. The perfect villain. What we need is a good hate-worthy owner to buy the team, someone like Trump, and bring back the bad guys. It's sad watching those cheating nasty bastards whimper off into the retirement home with the Bungles and Bills.

chris98251

Reaction score
HansGruber":1oyjzxwy said:
LA got screwed by the Raiders and the worst part is all the bogus crap about LA not supporting a team. Growing up in LA, living there during the Raiders Era, that whole town was Raiders country. EVERY Angelino wore the black and silver (the Rams fans mostly lived in Pasadena, OC, and the outlying suburbs). The Coliseum sold out every weekend and was the most memorable stadium experience I've ever encountered outside of Seattle. That place was intimidating to Raiders fans. It's not right what Al Davis did to Marcus Allen and the LA fans. Now the NFL talks about building a stadium there and moving some other team? Where was that support when the Raiders wanted a stadium? That's the whole reason they moved to begin with. Bad business by the NFL. And it proves that Al Davis had a point when he said the other owners were out to screw him.

I've got a real love hate relationship with the Raiders and even I can see how wrong it is that second rate franchises like Buffalo get NFL backing for new stadiums while the NFL goes out of its way to screw the Raiders. The Raiders are good for football. The perfect villain. What we need is a good hate-worthy owner to buy the team, someone like Trump, and bring back the bad guys. It's sad watching those cheating nasty bastards whimper off into the retirement home with the Bungles and Bills.

Hans, don't look now but we are the BAD GUYS currently.

But agree with your post, the Raiders had a owner with Swagger and very adept and smart about football and how to market his team. He was the driving force of the AFL which forced the merger because they were legitimate challengers against the NFL. Say what your want about Al Davis but there was a time when he was the most feared man in Football from the NFL's perspective, he was also right most times about everything. With him gone the corporate aspect of football I think will push more, Al was as much about the fans as he was about the game, why he butted heads so much with the legislation and Management of the league.

HansGruber

Reaction score
chris98251":2jyoo0up said:

But agree with your post, the Raiders had a owner with Swagger and very adept and smart about football and how to market his team. He was the driving force of the AFL which forced the merger because they were legitimate challengers against the NFL. Say what your want about Al Davis but there was a time when he was the most feared man in Football from the NFL's perspective, he was also right most times about everything. With him gone the corporate aspect of football I think will push more, Al was as much about the fans as he was about the game, why he butted heads so much with the legislation and Management of the league.

Fantastic article here about exactly that:
http://blog.seattlepi.com/football/2013 ... s-of-1983/

It's exactly how I feel, and my dad, a lifelong Raiders fan (since 1960) told me the same thing. Said these Seahawks are the closest he's seen to the 1970's/1980's Raiders defense, which is a HUGE compliment. Nastiest defense in NFL history right there. The Steelers get all the love, but the Raiders were meaner, tougher, faster, harder-hitting and just plain nastier. Nobody wanted to play the Raiders. They used to literally fist-fight people on the field. It's been sad watching the Raiders go the way of the dinosaur. That team isn't even a shell of its old self, it's like some bizarro version of the Raiders I used to hate so much.

The great thing is that my pops seems to be evolving slowly into a Seahawks fan. He admitted watching some games, said he just wanted to see some nasty football for once. He still wears his Plunkett jersey and roots on that joke of a franchise though. He also said he thought Lyle Alzado was better than anyone on the Seahawks, which I think is poppycock. Alzado just got away with a lot that would never fly today. Can you imagine someone punching a QB or swinging a helmet in-game? That'd get you ejected nowadays. Much less tearing off a helmet during a tackle, going for the head, clubbing, you name it. I don't think Alzado could survive in today's NFL.

God, what I wouldn't give to see the Raiders get a new owner, move to LA, and play in our division.

chris98251

Reaction score
HansGruber":6z7zgqds said:
chris98251":6z7zgqds said:

Fantastic article here about exactly that:
http://blog.seattlepi.com/football/2013 ... s-of-1983/

It's exactly how I feel, and my dad, a lifelong Raiders fan (since 1960) told me the same thing. Said these Seahawks are the closest he's seen to the 1970's/1980's Raiders defense, which is a HUGE compliment. Nastiest defense in NFL history right there. The Steelers get all the love, but the Raiders were meaner, tougher, faster, harder-hitting and just plain nastier. Nobody wanted to play the Raiders. They used to literally fist-fight people on the field. It's been sad watching the Raiders go the way of the dinosaur. That team isn't even a shell of its old self, it's like some bizarro version of the Raiders I used to hate so much.

The great thing is that my pops seems to be evolving slowly into a Seahawks fan. He admitted watching some games, said he just wanted to see some nasty football for once. He still wears his Plunkett jersey and roots on that joke of a franchise though. He also said he thought Lyle Alzado was better than anyone on the Seahawks, which I think is poppycock. Alzado just got away with a lot that would never fly today. Can you imagine someone punching a QB or swinging a helmet in-game? That'd get you ejected nowadays. Much less tearing off a helmet during a tackle, going for the head, clubbing, you name it. I don't think Alzado could survive in today's NFL.

God, what I wouldn't give to see the Raiders get a new owner, move to LA, and play in our division.

Hans, the Officials were afraid of the Raiders and the Fans when they played at home. The stories of Stabler and many others, (Stabler hung out with the Lineman offense and defense) partying gambling and drinking and showing up game day with hangovers still were pretty common, I think it contributed to that Nasty attitude, how pleasant would a bunch of men 200 to 300 pounds with hangovers that are short on sleep and long on mean going to be with another team wanting to hit them. Davis also had a reputation of not caring about what you do off the field, as long as game day you were able to perform up to the Raiders and his standards.

Al loved the hate from other teams just as our guys, they take it and make it a positive and are motivated by it. Once a Raider forever a Raider and part of the family, something Davis lived by and treated his players as such, up until Marcus Allen and that situation where Davis basically Exiled him from the Raider Family.

He had a history of helping former raiders in careers, and getting their life together after their playing days, brought many in as staff and coaches and provided avenues they could use to succeed post career.

That team was nasty, but go back another 5 years or so and look at that roster in 1977 and the names on it.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
chris98251":paphvpme said:
Davis also had a reputation of not caring about what you do off the field, as long as game day you were able to perform up to the Raiders and his standards.

Just win baby!

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
hieroglyphics":1izz9ygs said:
Smelly McUgly":1izz9ygs said:
The NFL ain't having that, Dallas and Houston specifically.

They have wanted an NFL team in SA for years and years. I remember that when Red McCombs bought the Vikings in the mid-90s (he was a big car seller down in San Antonio), people would thank him for acquiring an NFL team for them. He never tried to move the Vikes, though, IIRC.

Didn't stop the NBA from moving our team into Dallas' backyard.
Well, Stern is an uber-idiot though..........
I think Rog is slightly smarter than Stern, but Stern's bar is pretty low so that's not saying much.

Sourdough #49

Reaction score
Raiders in the NFCW, well I guess all the people that are knife happy are in Oakland and I doubt the stabbers can afford to go to Santa Clara so I am ok with it!

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I think the Rams/Raiders division swap would be an awesome move. All division games short flight and the Raiders would play the role of last place better than anyone.

OP
OP
pmedic920

pmedic920

Reaction score
There is no doubt in my mind that the team would have tremendous fan support. Dallas and Houston probably wouldn't loose but a handful either.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Jerry Jones is a very powerful man in the NFL, so I think he'd throw all his weight behind fighting a move like this.

Besides, isn't this what EVERY pro sports team does when they're crying for a new stadium? OMG IF WE DON'T GET A NEW STADIUM WE'RE LEAVING!!!!!

Throwdown

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1k942i88 said:
Jerry Jones is a very powerful man in the NFL, so I think he'd throw all his weight behind fighting a move like this.

Besides, isn't this what EVERY pro sports team does when they're crying for a new stadium? OMG IF WE DON'T GET A NEW STADIUM WE'RE LEAVING!!!!!

Problem is, Oakland can't afford it, no way no how.

They won't be the Oakland Raiders in 5 years max. Unless by some miracle, Oakland finds money under the city building.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":qw0b59d1 said:

Oakland will leave it's just a matter of when. And San Antonio would be a great spot to go. Far better then Los Angeles in my opinion.