Rams interested in trading for Foles?

Threedee

Reaction score
If Philly really wants to move on from Foles, he'd be a bargain pick-up. I think he's phenomenal, even if he now throws more than two picks, and isn't the "right guy" for Chip's insane offensive model.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I suppose it couldn't hurt if the price is right. If that were done it would completely signal what Philadelphia's intentions are in the draft and I don't see how they will be able to trade up high enough to get somebody that's possibly better then Foles.

pehawk

Reaction score
I think Chip makes the QBs, they don't make him, mostly. You give him a NFL caliber QB, they'll win. You give him a Mariota though, he'll finally get to see his vision all the way through.

As a fan, I sure as hell hope he gets Mariora. I want to see Chip's vision play out.

Foles is overrated, BTW, for my reasoning above. I could throw for 2,000+ yards, 12 TDS and 15 ints in Chip's system.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Are we even sure that Foles is better than Bradford? Nick's numbers were worse than Sanchez's last year.

The thing that struck me about his anomalous 2013 season was how often he was throwing bombs to completely wide open receivers. Fisher and Co. won't be scheming that stuff up for him unless he's also playing holder on Special Teams.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3vakh7f6 said:
Fisher and Co. won't be scheming that stuff up for him unless he's also playing holder on Special Teams.

Aha, wow. That is a good line, David.

knownone

Reaction score
As an Eagles fan who lives in the northwest, I have to listen to all of the Oregon fan boys tell me how lucky I am to have Chip Kelly, and how once he get's a good QB the Eagles will be unstoppable... From my perspective, trading Foles signals the end of the Chip Kelly grace period. Nick Foles is a top 15 QB, who in the right situation can get you to the playoffs, He's not the problem in Philly. I'm coming to terms with the fact that Chip Kelly is no more offensive mastermind / QB whisperer than Andy Reid. In fact it's fairly obvious that teams have figure Kelly out, bring in Mariota and this team still loses against good defense. Chip needs to have a fundamental shift in his philosophy soon, or he's going to be back in college.

Maulbert

Reaction score
knownone":3caknl3c said:
Chip needs to have a fundamental shift in his philosophy soon, or he's going to be back in college.

Funny thing, I think between the Seahawks and Ohio State, that ridiculously stupid system has been exposed. All he does is tire out his own defense faster. I think if he goes back to college with that system he'll be failure in his second stint.

kearly

Reaction score
Foles had a lucky year in 2013 and a down year in 2014. I think his real performance level is somewhere in between. When he's on his game he reminds me of Brett Favre, due to his ability to improvise and move better than you'd expect, and also because he plays with reckless abandon and usually succeeds with it.

I think he is a way better QB than Mark Sanchez, who was exposed after a hot start. I understand that Foles was drafted by the previous head coach, but he's run that offense pretty well despite being a poor fit for it on paper. Short of trading for Mariota, it makes no sense for the Eagles to deal Foles.

And that's exactly why I think this rumor appeared. The Eagles are likely making calls right now and charting scenarios where acquiring Mariota is realistic. In the event that they somehow get Mariota, they would need to deal Foles while he still has value. Some executive (Schneider?) said that 95% of trade talks fall through because a lot of them are conditional. I think a Foles trade is likely conditional on somehow swinging a deal for Mariota.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Maulbert":3h7f4azm said:
knownone":3h7f4azm said:
Chip needs to have a fundamental shift in his philosophy soon, or he's going to be back in college.

Funny thing, I think between the Seahawks and Ohio State, that ridiculously stupid system has been exposed. All he does is tire out his own defense faster. I think if he goes back to college with that system he'll be failure in his second stint.

So lose a game against the best team in the nfl and loss a game against the best team in college football and suddenly it's exposed and won't work? Wait til he gets an actual duel threat qb.

Count me in the group that hopes foles goes to the rams.

Sherminator

Reaction score
knownone":1t9quhe7 said:
As an Eagles fan who lives in the northwest, I have to listen to all of the Oregon fan boys tell me how lucky I am to have Chip Kelly, and how once he get's a good QB the Eagles will be unstoppable... From my perspective, trading Foles signals the end of the Chip Kelly grace period. Nick Foles is a top 15 QB, who in the right situation can get you to the playoffs, He's not the problem in Philly. I'm coming to terms with the fact that Chip Kelly is no more offensive mastermind / QB whisperer than Andy Reid. In fact it's fairly obvious that teams have figure Kelly out, bring in Mariota and this team still loses against good defense. Chip needs to have a fundamental shift in his philosophy soon, or he's going to be back in college.

Foles isn't a QB that would normally do well in Kelly's offense... So I'm somewhat confused as to how that means it isn't working?
Maybe give Kelly a mobile QB, and if it fails, then we can agree?

Maulbert

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2df4uxk0 said:
Maulbert":2df4uxk0 said:
knownone":2df4uxk0 said:

So lose a game against the best team in the nfl and loss a game against the best team in college football and suddenly it's exposed and won't work? Wait til he gets an actual duel threat qb.

Count me in the group that hopes foles goes to the rams.

The fact is, it was the same blueprint Stanford used a few years ago to beat Oregon. Run the ball down their throat and keep their defense on the field. The Kelly offense has never been able to get around that. The reason it worked early on in Philly was because of how much the league has trended towards passing. Seattle showed how to beat them, and they finished 1-3 in their final 4 games this season.

pehawk

Reaction score
Why would they trade for Foles when they could get Glennon?

Why? Because they're the Rams. Fishers an idiot.

knownone

Reaction score
Sherminator":3ihw4kav said:
knownone":3ihw4kav said:

Foles isn't a QB that would normally do well in Kelly's offense... So I'm somewhat confused as to how that means it isn't working?
Maybe give Kelly a mobile QB, and if it fails, then we can agree?
Like Michael Vick? Listen, I've heard all of this before. "Michael Vick is the ideal fit for Chip Kelly's system, this team is a Superbowl contender" Vick fails "Michael Vick is wash up". Foles comes in and does well "Chip Kelly is a genius and his system can make any QB look good" Foles regresses "He doesn't fit Kelly's offense, but if he had Mariota!". This argument is akin to me saying "if Marc Trestman had Andrew Luck his offense would work better!" obviously, but good QBs especially good mobile QBs are hard to find.

So why does Chip get a pass? I'm not even saying he's done bad, but he took over an offense that already had talent and brought them back to the same level Andy Reid did. As Eagles fans we're tired of seeing multiple 30 second 3 and outs, while the other team marches down the field and tires out our defense. FFS, teams average 8 minutes more in time of possession than us... It's absurd to think any defense can hold up against that, and Chip does it knowingly. I get it he feeds us custom smoothies and we focus on "fitness", but this is the NFL that s*** doesn't work here.

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":28s3iwfu said:
I so hope this happens.

I probably like Foles more than you do, but I agree that the Rams would be a terrible landing spot. It is almost the perfect opposite of Philly in terms of offensive competency. Everything in Philly is so carefully crafted. Kelly is always thinking 50 moves ahead. Everything in St. Louis is done with a blindfold, a dartboard, and a printed out copy of Mel Kiper's Big Board.

The Rams are a bit of an oddity. Fisher is the face of that team, yet you look at how they put a team together and it feels a lot like a GM driven franchise.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
kearly":17hjh9bq said:
Scottemojo":17hjh9bq said:
I so hope this happens.

I probably like Foles more than you do, but I agree that the Rams would be a terrible landing spot. It is almost the perfect opposite of Philly in terms of offensive competency. Everything in Philly is so carefully crafted. Kelly is always thinking 50 moves ahead. Everything in St. Louis is done with a blindfold, a dartboard, and a printed out copy of Mel Kiper's Big Board.

The Rams are a bit of an oddity. Fisher is the face of that team, yet you look at how they put a team together and it feels a lot like a GM driven franchise.
He keeps refusing to commit to a run game. With that D, and a great run game, Foles would be OK.

I chalk it up to the time spent in Manning's shadow all those years.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
knownone":rmotc185 said:

I think Chip's system does help QBs in that it uses hurry-up to lock opposing teams into specific personnel groupings which can then be exploited if a weakness is identified. At least, that worked for Foles' breakout year. On the rest of your point, I sort of agree. Last year, Chip's offense was actually less productive than Seattle's on per-drive basis, and they were also worse in the redzone. I do think he wears down his own defense, and his team ends up playing considerably slower late in the season/post-season.

Chip strikes me as a good leader and cultivator of culture, but I'm not sure his system will ever dominate at the pro level where seasons are even longer than college. He also won't be able to just recruit guys who are way more athletic than everyone else. I think he needs to keep tweaking, but certainly nowhere close to a lost cause. He has had success with less than stellar QBs. His leadership is a factor for Special Teams, which has been huge for Philly under his reign.

Latest posts