Rams 'knew' Marshawn Lynch would get ball at end

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I put this in another thread.. but sometimes, it's not a play call.. it's not coaching.. it's not a certain player..

Sometimes the other team just flat wins that play and makes a stop. That's exactly what the Rams did. Bevell dialed up that same play for a 2 pointer. Dialed up a run on 4th and 1 earlier.

We won those plays, the Rams won the final one. It happens.

12thbrah

Reaction score
Game should never have come down to that one play. Hawks screwed up all over the place in OT starting with that redonkulous kickoff.

Optimus25

Reaction score
Quote:

So In the superbowl we pass.... FIRE BEVELL.
In this game we Run..... FIRE BEVELL....

???

This is the same tired bevell defense that makes me cringe. I still want bevell fired over the super bowl, but not because of calling a pass, but much more so for not having a play action pass specifically for that situation. Something with a wrinkle. IIRC, it was the beast quake game that we drew up goal line play which carlson purposely fell down, losing the defender long enough for him to get up and stand alone in the end zone.

As for this game, why did we not go back to the same play we ran with 3rd and 1 on our first drive?. I formation, lynch downhill, with a fullback. This was the play where he dragged defenders literally ten yards.

Simpleton defenses of bevell just mask the true problem.

Do your own research... How often in big games are we late to score and or trailing?. Isn't the early portion of a game more scheme and design and latter portions more execution and play making?. Cause by that logic bevell isn't winning us games, our players are.

chris98251

Reaction score
There are many times I think we win in spite of his calls with players acheiveing super man type status on some plays, how many hated the FB draw during the Holmgren era, well our bubble screens and empty backfield is just that in this offense. Empty Backfield is suppose to spread the defense out and open lanes to pass the ball, only problem is you need to pass the ball quickly, it's not how we seem to operate it. The defense's converge when they know that Wilson has moved on from 1 and 2 options and then shadow with a cushion. They also know Wilson will not throw in a tight window to avoid a turnover. This concept can be used like another defender to almost dictate where he can throw the ball.

chet380

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3oo7a9il said:
JimmyG":3oo7a9il said:
Blaming the OC is misguided and lazy.

Quote of the day.

FACT: Hawks under Bevell in 2014 had the #9 total offense, and #1 rank rushing offense.........and #1 in explosive plays. That was with one of the worst TE/WR corps in the league.

There are about 25 other teams that'd kill for that offense.

Is Bevell perfect? Hell no, no OC is...........but to just keep parroting "Fire Bevell" after every loss is tiresome and lazy.
Bevell-hater -- Are you going to believe my gut-feeling that Bevell is, and always will be, a POS or these lying statistics?

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
This isn't a simple run vs pass argument.

The superbowl play wasn't bad because it was a pass. It was bad because it was a quick slant to Ricardo Lockette with no play action.

The run vs the Rams wasn't bad because it was a run, it was bad because it was a shotgun read option with no lead blocker on 4th and 1 in a convert or lose situation.

seattlesportsfan24

Reaction score
When a pitcher throws a 3-0 fastball that gets crushed for a home run who do you blame? Do you blame the catcher for calling such an obvious fastball? No, you blame the pitcher for getting into a 3-0 hole in the first place!

At that point there's no trickery, no debate on whether to throw a curve or some other junk, you throw a damn fastball down the middle and hope the guy doesn't swing at it.

I don't know football as well as many of you, but all I saw once that last play started was 3 defensive linemen run right through our line and grab Lynch before he had taken a single step forward. I don't know a playcall or formation to combat that. (well maybe one...see 2-point conversion to Willson vs Packers in NFCCG. Although i have a feeling that might be difficult to repeat)

Sure it was the "wrong play call", because ANY call that fails is the wrong call in that situation. But i'm not sure what play you'd rather have seen called, because I'm pretty sure that a Wilson pass, keeper, or blocker-led Lynch run would have ended in the exact same way with that single-ply toilet paper o-line.

It was a 3-0 count. The Seahawks just had to run at them and hope for a miracle in the trenches. They did not get one. There's nothing more to discuss.

Sac

Reaction score
The problem with the play was that Bevell got cute, and ran a read option play out of the pistol or whatever that was when the O-line had been getting their asses kicked all day.

In a situation like that, you go jumbo, 2 or 3 tight ends, a fullback and just tell them to get a little push. Lynch would do the rest.

He was right to run the ball, he was way off on what run play to call.

Just hit X for halfback dive, Darrell.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
We were 6/6 on 3rd and short runs in that game. Five of those were converted from shotgun.

Show me the gameday threads or chat transcripts where people were complaining about the shotgun formation the previous five times it worked that day.

It wasn't cute. It was the same play we were beating them with over and over again.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3p9ub0bv said:
We were 6/6 on 3rd and short runs in that game. Five of those were converted from shotgun.

Show me the gameday threads or chat transcripts where people were complaining about the shotgun formation the previous five times it worked that day.

It wasn't cute. It was the same play we were beating them with over and over again.

Exactly. I still am not understanding why people on this board are having a hard time with this concept!

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1o4gxmms said:
JimmyG":1o4gxmms said:
Blaming the OC is misguided and lazy.

Quote of the day.

FACT: Hawks under Bevell in 2014 had the #9 total offense, and #1 rank rushing offense.........and #1 in explosive plays. That was with one of the worst TE/WR corps in the league.

There are about 25 other teams that'd kill for that offense.

Is Bevell perfect? Hell no, no OC is...........but to just keep parroting "Fire Bevell" after every loss is tiresome and lazy.

I would have to guess that might have something to do with Wilson making something out of nothing about 100 times during the season.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
According to Brocks break down they were in the defensive formation that we wanted them to be in for that play. Our OL just floundered.

Rainger

Reaction score
gowazzu02":ajjr8gyv said:
marko358":ajjr8gyv said:
With the vanilla play calling all afternoon, they knew most plays since we only use a small handful of them.

So In the superbowl we pass.... FIRE BEVELL.
In this game we Run..... FIRE BEVELL....

???
Thank you so much for some sense. I totally agree. Fire Bevell! The reason why every game is always close.

Tical21

Reaction score
It had to be done. Now that we know that it doesn't work every single time, Bevell won't be strung up next time he passes in similar situations. But he had to run it right there. The best play for us is probably a naked boot option out of jumbo, but even then, going naked with the game on the line is scary. Doing what we did is a pretty safe play call that usually works.

lobohawk

Reaction score
As was mentioned in Brock's Chalk Talk, the Hawks got what they wanted on a play that had worked all day. The OL was stalemate everywhere except at right tackle, which was a loss. That was enough to kill the play.