Rams release three players: Cook, Laurinaitis, and LONG!?

IndyHawk

Reaction score
RedAlice":km8k9bz0 said:
It would beyond horrify me if Peyton ever wore a Rams jersey. He IS NOT A RAM.

Cook needed to be gone.

JL, well, as you all do with your players - I love him. But, it's a business. I want to see him win wherever he goes.

The Long release, hurts. I cried.
Signing Peyton would just be Joe Namath2 I saw that happen,it was horrible and sad.

RedAlice

Reaction score
Seanhawk":2tjqodmk said:
I don't remember where I read it/heard it, but a day or so prior to his release, someone called Cook the laziest player in the NFL. It might have been John Clayton on 710.

wait, what? the people calling Cook lazy are Ram fans. Or any normal person following the Rams.

For me, I refused to let him sign my, well, I just dismissed him.

Lazy.

Just to be clear, in case you need to look up Clayton or something: Cook: lazy.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
kearly":24mth45t said:
Lauinaitis has never been quite as good as his rep, but I am a little surprised to see the Rams cut him now with his 2016 cap number being reasonable. Either they soured on him significantly, or they are desperate to free up money for a big addition.

As much as I loved Chris Long in his prime, he turns 31 next month and past history suggests that it is very unlikely for a player of that age to bounce back after injured/bad seasons. He makes sense for Seattle as a low risk gamble but hopefully not at the expense of real pass rush help.

The Cook signing, then holding onto him as long as they did, is the epitome of what the Rams have done on offense the last 10 years.

The Rams remind me so much of the Jack Z Mariners. Talented and occasionally 'wow' educing, but never hopeful. They need to hit the reset button on that organization in the worst way.

While I don't know exactly what you mean by "reset button", the only thing that really needs to happen is either get a franchise QB, or Fisher needs to go.

But never hopeful? That's just ignorant. This team still just needs a QB. It's funny how Seahawk fans tend to believe the whole east coast bias thing, but then really have no clue about the Rams (a team in their favorite team's division) players in general....as this thread shows with some of the comments on these guys that got let go.

Lauranaitis was TERRIBLE this past year. "Never been quite as good as his rep" would have been true 2 years ago. Terrible is the only word that would describe his play from last season. You're spot on with Long and Cook.

Just get a QB on this team and watch out.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Ramfan128":3obktisp said:
..........the only thing that really needs to happen is either get a franchise QB, or Fisher needs to go........
Both need to happen, desperately. Fisher is a well below average coach, 6 winning seasons in 21 years as an NFL head coach. That will be the easy change to make and it will happen soon enough. The QB thing, as Rob said above, will be a whole lot more difficult to achieve. That's why Russell Wilson wasn't drafted til round 3 and Tom Brady til round 6, Brett Favre til round 2 and so on. Unless it's a REALLY obvious pick like Elway, there's an element of crapshoot in every QB choice in the draft.

If your team was to hit the QB jackpot and had the right coach in place, it would be scary good. As a Seahawks fan, I of course hope that doesn't happen.

chris98251

Reaction score
The last time Fisher had real success his QB was Kerry Collins, they got him after McNair stepped away and Fisher wouldn't play Ware.

Young showed promise but Fisher and him butted heads and Youngs career went south faster then a George Clooney in Dusk Till Dawn.

kobebryant

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2f7mjn0s said:
Ramfan128":2f7mjn0s said:
..........the only thing that really needs to happen is either get a franchise QB, or Fisher needs to go........
Both need to happen, desperately. Fisher is a well below average coach, 6 winning seasons in 21 years as an NFL head coach. That will be the easy change to make and it will happen soon enough. The QB thing, as Rob said above, will be a whole lot more difficult to achieve. That's why Russell Wilson wasn't drafted til round 3 and Tom Brady til round 6, Brett Favre til round 2 and so on. Unless it's a REALLY obvious pick like Elway, there's an element of crapshoot in every QB choice in the draft.

If your team was to hit the QB jackpot and had the right coach in place, it would be scary good. As a Seahawks fan, I of course hope that doesn't happen.

I'd have to disagree with you there. I think a bigtime qb/coach combo in LA would be great for the NFL and the division. Iron sharpens iron, and the Hawks games against the Rams would be so much more entertaining then the Fisher,Linehan,Spagnuolo crappy QB teams that we've had to watch twice a year.

Basis4day

Reaction score
kobebryant":5thrzcnq said:
hawksfansinceday1":5thrzcnq said:
Ramfan128":5thrzcnq said:

I'd have to disagree with you there. I think a bigtime qb/coach combo in LA would be great for the NFL and the division. Iron sharpens iron, and the Hawks games against the Rams would be so much more entertaining then the Fisher,Linehan,Spagnuolo crappy QB teams that we've had to watch twice a year.

The Hawks winning and not losing is plenty entertaining to me. Rams have shown a consistent ability to really be a thorn in the hawks side no matter what their W/L ratio says.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Before the move I said, and I continue to believe, that if not this year, then certainly next, we will be competing with the Rams, not the Cards, for the division. I would be willing to put money on it being this year unless the Rams do something stupid like trade for Peyton. They are only a couple of pieces short and have plenty of cap space to fill those holes. Fisher is just good enough, and he did a bang up job of doing what needed to be done to ensure the move and ensure that they would field an immediately competitive team.

-bsd

Maulbert

Reaction score
bigskydoc":m1k87ebl said:
Before the move I said, and I continue to believe, that if not this year, then certainly next, we will be competing with the Rams, not the Cards, for the division. I would be willing to put money on it being this year unless the Rams do something stupid like trade for Peyton. They are only a couple of pieces short and have plenty of cap space to fill those holes. Fisher is just good enough, and he did a bang up job of doing what needed to be done to ensure the move and ensure that they would field an immediately competitive team.

-bsd

If Fisher manages a 13-3 or 10-6 season, I guarantee the Rams will regress immediately afterwards. It's what Jeff Fisher teams do.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
They're clearly sabotaging the team as part of a conspiracy to move the team to LA.

DJrmb

Reaction score
BirdsCommaAngry":1lf3b51a said:
They're clearly sabotaging the team as part of a conspiracy to move the team to LA.

The team already moved to LA, they have no need to sabotage anything. Quite the opposite actually, LA has been a tough market in the past for NFL teams to stick. They need to win and win fast to captivate the fans and pay for the new stadium.

chris98251

Reaction score
They are getting rid of salary and older players obviously, they will bring in marquee free agents and go after local high profile prospects hard that can play for the recognition. It's not a long term success recipe but it can get fans in the stands right away.

They will also draft and draft for the future and Fisher is a short term Coach even if he doesn't know the gun is to his head yet.

L.A. has a had a habit of getting high profile coaches before, they will do it again, it goes with the territory and is also a way to get fans in the stands. Fisher or............... Harbaugh? Fisher or ...........John Gruden ?................ Fisher or...........Carroll? Fisher or.................Cowher/Holmgren/Shanahan?

11 Sid Gillman † 1955–1959 60 28 31 1 .475 1 0 1 .000 [16]
12 Bob Waterfield ‡* 1960–1962* [e] 34 9 24 1 .279 — [17]
13 Harland Svare 1962–1965 48 14 31 3 .322 — [18]
14 George Allen † 1966–1970 70 49 17 4 .728 2 0 2 .000

15 Tommy Prothro 1971–1972 28 14 12 2 .535 — [22]
16 Chuck Knox 1973–1977 70 54 15 1 .778 8 3 5 .375

17 Ray Malavasi 1978–1982 73 40 33 0 .547 6 3 3 .500 [26]
18 John Robinson* 1983–1991* 143 75 68 0 .524 10 4 6 .400 [27]

Pretty recognizable names.

Now in St Louis

19 Rich Brooks* 1995–1996* 32 13 19 0 .406 — [28]
20 Dick Vermeil 1997–1999 48 22 26 0 .458 3 3 0 1.000

]
21 Mike Martz* 2000–2005* [g] 85 53 32 0 .623 7 3 4 .429 [31]
22 Joe Vitt 2005 11 4 7 0 .364 — [32]
23 Scott Linehan* 2006–2008* 36 11 25 0 .344 — [33]
24 Jim Haslett 2008 12 2 10 0 .166 — [34]
25 Steve Spagnuolo* 2009–2011* 48 10 38 0 .208 — [35][36]
26 Jeff Fisher

Other then luring Vermeil out of retirement you kind of look at this list is who? Martz had success granted but name game you would have never looked at him in L.A.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1xdyj9gd said:
Ramfan128":1xdyj9gd said:

I'm with you...I hoped Fisher would be fired.

But he's the coach, so I have to look at the positive. If we can snag a QB, I think we'll be in good shape.

OP
OP
HawkMeat

HawkMeat

Reaction score
Ramfan128":f1cbkm3z said:
hawksfansinceday1":f1cbkm3z said:
Ramfan128":f1cbkm3z said:

I'm with you...I hoped Fisher would be fired.

But he's the coach, so I have to look at the positive. If we can snag a QB, I think we'll be in good shape.
How would you feel if they released these guys to also help pay and bring Bradford back!!! :thirishdrinkers:

The topic of coaches I can see them going after a high profile coach. Harbaugh back in the division would be...interesting

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
DJrmb":2lrixhcs said:
BirdsCommaAngry":2lrixhcs said:

The team already moved to LA, they have no need to sabotage anything. Quite the opposite actually, LA has been a tough market in the past for NFL teams to stick. They need to win and win fast to captivate the fans and pay for the new stadium.

Look up!

RedAlice

Reaction score
This thread: GOLD.

It's simple math and no different than what your FO does.

Tho, for me: I burst into tears when I read Long was gone.

RedAlice

Reaction score
JL is visiting New Orleans. I think that would be a great fit for him. Plus, I like them and so can root for him there.

Long is having his first baby this week. Wednesday maybe. So, no visits yet. Yay for him! He's the best. I also hope he finds a good team.