Rams release three players: Cook, Laurinaitis, and LONG!?

Rambitious

Reaction score
keatonisballin":1gphhfuh said:
Wow. I doubt we could get long on a cheap deal but if we could I think he would be pretty good with us. And isn't Jared Cook mainly a blocker TE? We need one of those. Just saying. And he'd probably be cheap.

Nope.
Cook barley blocks at all. That was 'part' of the problem.
He's a pass catching TE with hands of stone that does not block.

kobebryant

Reaction score
HawkGA":214qjpdu said:
Move absolutely makes sense to me. The Rams just watched the Broncos win the Super Bowl with a dominating front seven so it makes sense to get rid of 2 of your top players from that area. :sarcasmoff

Donald,Brockers,Fairley,Quinn,Hayes,Ogletree,Ayers and Barron are all better players right now than Long and Laurinaitis.

Long never amounted to much more than a less productive poor man's Patrick Kerney.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I have to disagree with some of you on Long. He was a cap casualty due to injuries and the Rams overall talent on their DL, but he's suddenly a very intriguing FA.

Long's versatility is a lot like what we get from Bennett and we look to be pretty short on veteran DL depth. Considering how strong the draft is at DL the FA market could be pretty reasonable, especially given Long's injury history and age. Being part of a rotation is also a selling point for older FA's although we did kind of bait and switch Williams two years ago.

FWIW, moving the chains mentioned Seattle as an ideal landing spot for him.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
keatonisballin":3g9xtddu said:
Wow. I doubt we could get long on a cheap deal but if we could I think he would be pretty good with us. And isn't Jared Cook mainly a blocker TE? We need one of those. Just saying. And he'd probably be cheap.

Cook can't block and he can't catch. He's a much crappier version of Luke Willson

Long would be interesting on a 1-year deal.. maybe like we got Avril for .. but I would rather use that money towards the OL.

DJrmb

Reaction score
We will have to add a pass rusher with the loss of Irvin. We will spend money on pass rush somewhere.

Long is a good option on a 1-2 year prove it deal. Can't commit to much though because injuries and age have started stacking up on him enough that he last his starting role to William Hayes even after he came back last year. He's a high risk, high reward acquisition, but you can mitigate the risk the cheaper you can get him.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Cook stinks.

I always liked the other two, but they would have to be on the cheaper side.

titan3131

Reaction score
Long had been unhealthy and has had little sack numbers the past 2 years.

He could easily for in a rotation, keep him healthy and let him prove it.

If you don't get it then you haven't been paying attention to his performances of late.

peppersjap

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":huwlhog2 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/spotrac/status/700773176603705344[/tweet]
I would love to see the Rams sign Peyton Manning, he is no more than an average QB at this point. He was horrible in the Super Bowl. He won his 2nd ring the same way as Trent Dilfer did, because of his defense.

chris98251

Reaction score
I agree Long if healthy in a rotation would probably be very good for us, Bennett, Avril, Long, Hill and or MeBane, having players that can move and get to the QB from just about anywhere the play on the line and hold up well against the run as well. Long would probably take a few million less for just not having to chase Wilson twice a year :)

kearly

Reaction score
Lauinaitis has never been quite as good as his rep, but I am a little surprised to see the Rams cut him now with his 2016 cap number being reasonable. Either they soured on him significantly, or they are desperate to free up money for a big addition.

As much as I loved Chris Long in his prime, he turns 31 next month and past history suggests that it is very unlikely for a player of that age to bounce back after injured/bad seasons. He makes sense for Seattle as a low risk gamble but hopefully not at the expense of real pass rush help.

The Cook signing, then holding onto him as long as they did, is the epitome of what the Rams have done on offense the last 10 years.

The Rams remind me so much of the Jack Z Mariners. Talented and occasionally 'wow' educing, but never hopeful. They need to hit the reset button on that organization in the worst way.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
kearly":19s1zehy said:
Lauinaitis has never been quite as good as his rep, but I am a little surprised to see the Rams cut him now with his 2016 cap number being reasonable. Either they soured on him significantly, or they are desperate to free up money for a big addition.

As much as I loved Chris Long in his prime, he turns 31 next month and past history suggests that it is very unlikely for a player of that age to bounce back after injured/bad seasons. He makes sense for Seattle as a low risk gamble but hopefully not at the expense of real pass rush help.

The Cook signing, then holding onto him as long as they did, is the epitome of what the Rams have done on offense the last 10 years.

The Rams remind me so much of the Jack Z Mariners. Talented and occasionally 'wow' educing, but never hopeful. They need to hit the reset button on that organization in the worst way.

The Rams do less with more than any other team in the NFL.

mistaowen

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":2e7aeyq2 said:

Honestly don't understand why the Rams or Peyton would want to do that. He will be a terrific OC but there's nothing left in his arm.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
mistaowen":9b610v10 said:
KitsapGuy":9b610v10 said:

Honestly don't understand why the Rams or Peyton would want to do that. He will be a terrific OC but there's nothing left in his arm.

It would give Peyton a chance to experience the NFC while not competing against his brother.

RedAlice

Reaction score
It would beyond horrify me if Peyton ever wore a Rams jersey. He IS NOT A RAM.

Cook needed to be gone.

JL, well, as you all do with your players - I love him. But, it's a business. I want to see him win wherever he goes.

The Long release, hurts. I cried.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
I don't remember where I read it/heard it, but a day or so prior to his release, someone called Cook the laziest player in the NFL. It might have been John Clayton on 710.

pehawk

Reaction score
At the very least these cuts quell my main beef (ie comfort) with Rams defense...run defense. Just never found their run defense anything other than mediocre.

I like these moves for the Rams. Diversify that front seven...do more than rush the passer.