Random thoughts on the Chargers game

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
I said a couple times in the GDF that Rivers and Gates were playing out of their minds, and that was the difference. When Rivers is dropping dimes over defenders like he was and Gates was pulling in one handed catches, you are up against it. Our D definitely wasn't on it's game, but the SD passing game was pretty much perfect.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Rivers had a hell of a game. He's a top-tier quarterback, but unlike Manning and Brees and Rodgers of late, he stepped up and showed it in this game. He made plays when it counted, and it showed on both the stat sheet and the scoreboard.

Gates is a top-tier tight end, and he too showed it today. The matchup against our linebackers all day was something that should have been fixed, wasn't, and killed us the entire game. Gates against a lot of players is a mismatch. Gates against linebackers is a matchup he should win every time, and he did today.

The Chargers game plan really won the game for them. They played an absolutely brilliant game plan, doing exactly what I didn't want them to do almost every play, and they executed well in doing so. Hats off to both their offensive and defensive coordinators.

Pass blocking was atrocious today. No two ways about it. The edges crumbled almost every time Wilson stepped back to pass, and that can't happen for our offense to be successful. Sure, there were some great plays on offense, and three of the drives were pretty amazing (Harvin's stepping out of bounds notwithstanding), but the rest of the time the pocket simply collapsed and our passing game went straight into the toilet as a result. That can't happen if we expect to win games like that, which we clearly should have.

Unlucky bounces were mindboggling today. Four fumbles in the game and they every single one went San Diego's direction. Forcing fumbles is a learned talent; recovering them is the luck of the draw, and that was about as unlucky of a set of bounces as we've seen for a long time. Not saying it was the reason we lost, but it clearly could have gone the other way.

Wasn't terribly happy with the play calling today. As brilliant as Bevell was last week, he was equally infuriating this week. Calling a Lynch run up the gut on third and a mile was stupid; even if they weren't expecting such a play, there's no way even Lynch takes it the distance needed for the first down. And that punt on 4th and two was a gut-wrencher. Absolutely should have gone for it there. I said so at the time. There was about eight minutes left, the offense was hot and cold, but the defense was not only gassed, but they'd already given up a whole lot of points. Turn that drive into points and it's a whole different ballgame. Punt, and you concede the game.

A lot of players had poor outings today. The Legion of Boom was more like the Legion of Fizz. The linebackers missed a lot of tackles. Bruce Irvin made one of the more boneheaded plays I've seen, and could well have affected the outcome of the day with his absolutely horrific and uncalled-for personal foul penalty. Baldwin had a couple good catches, but overall a poor game. Harvin got lucky with that run that was clearly and obviously out of bounds, even on the initial viewing. How the officials missed that one, I don't know. But other than that gift run, he wasn't very Harvin-like. Lynch was practically invisible, in spite of the TD catch.

A few players actually had very solid games. Wilson actually had a pretty stellar day today. It didn't seem like it, but if you looked at the stat line not knowing what had happened in the game, it'd look pretty damned good. 17 for 25 (68% completion rate), 202 yards, 2 TDs and no interceptions. Not bad at all, until you look at the day Philip Rivers had, which was a lot better than that. Kearse had a pretty solid game with some clutch catches. And Walters had a very respectable outing; better than a number of our other receivers, and especially so considering he's one of the fringe wide receivers.

All in all, a terrible game, and one where we let way too many opportunities slip through our fingers, and allowed even more bad plays to happen. No doubt the weather didn't help, but San Diego was out on the field in the same conditions too, so there's nothing really to say about that. Hopefully a learning experience, and one the team will take very personally.

gargantual

Reaction score
There's no question heat has an effect for guys not as used to it, but I keep hearing about humidity. Unless things have changed DRASTICALLY in the last 26 years since I last lived there, there's hardly any humidity compared to Seattle. Nothing grows there that doesn't have constant irrigation on it. Dry heat is a bit easier to handle, although with hardly any breaks, it will start to wear a person down

SoCalSeahawk

Reaction score
A pretty good Chargers team in their home opener mixed in with a 115 humid degrees on the field. A Charger team that is pretty good offensively and took the Cardinals to the wire in their house. I think a lot of Seahawk fans might have had an idea that this game wasn't going to be a masterpiece by any stretch. Still, we all had a lot of hope on that final drive. One good result of this; the media will quit talking about the Seahawks like they are other worldly. Seriously, it was too much! They are the best team in the NFL with the most passionate fans in the country and we all expect victory in SB XLIX. That's good enough for now...

Still, losing sucks! I'll be hearing it all week I'm sure.

gargantual

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":37idatr0 said:
Unlucky bounces were mindboggling today. Four fumbles in the game and they every single one went San Diego's direction. Forcing fumbles is a learned talent; recovering them is the luck of the draw, and that was about as unlucky of a set of bounces as we've seen for a long time. Not saying it was the reason we lost, but it clearly could have gone the other way.
This was reminding me of the 9ers (at least when they play us - I rarely see them otherwise). The ball always seems to bounce their way..... and they actually end up with better field position. Almost like the football gods are smiling their way or something. Well, I'll still take getting the Lombardi :D

mrt144

Reaction score
Dwight Freeney seemed to be a constant threat and Sherman looked lost on slants. Twice I saw him pull an outside spin move to recover on a break inside.

Came out flat, got winded, got mentally out of it. That's the long and short of it.

ivotuk

Reaction score
This game started off bad, a 6 yard Lynch run called back by Zach Miller bonehead penalty. Then he fails on a block for the Lockette Jet Sweep. Zach was really off of his game today and that leg whip penalty only added to the disastrous play.

Russell Okung looked really poor, letting people get by him but Max Unger looked bad too. He let the LB run right by him while he blocked NO ONE. WTF was that about? Britt looked okay, occasionally overmatched but that's to be expected for a rookie.

Russell was sacked twice, hit multiple times, knocked down, and pressured way too much. When that is happening, run the damn ball because you're going to get your QB killed and he's going to get gun shy.

I think the game plan was on Pete, he probably told Bevell to open it up more like they did last week. I don't like it. Open it up once you get a lead. Not to start a road game in 120 degree heat.

And did Pete really say "I didn't talk to them about the heat because San Diego has to play in it to?" If true, that is an ignorant or arrogant thing to say. The Charger live in that heat, they practice in that heat, they also are wearing white uniforms. If Pete doesn't understand that by now... I saw the sidelines holding chalkboards over the players heads to keep the sun off of them, and that was early in the game. Considering this, I put the loss squarely on Pete. Not the defense, not the offense or special teams, not Darrell Bevell. It's on Pete for not preparing his team for the heat and humidity.

Bruce Irvin's penalty was huge, and hugely stupid. We see that all the time, defensive players shoving offensive players when it's clear they are out of bounds or on the cusp. Why give up a free first down and 4 points?

Malcolm Smith's lack of concentration cost us on another drive. He just stood there while the receiver took off, then reached out to grab him. Where was his head on that play?

Hopefully Percy doesn't suffer any more fumbles. He covered the ball up with both arms, but that humidity makes the ball really slick. Wonder if Pete mentioned that? "The ball will be more slippery in high humidity and heat with all of the sweaty players."

I really don't understand why this offensive line plays so poorly, especially Max Unger and Russell Okung. Have these guys had Concussions that we don't know about? Because a lot of their errors are mental.

I think KJ Wright did an admirable job covering a future HOF tight end. Even the DBs can only cover a player for so long.

akon

Reaction score
gargantual":m3xbq8na said:
Seahawk Sailor":m3xbq8na said:
This was reminding me of the 9ers (at least when they play us - I rarely see them otherwise). The ball always seems to bounce their way..... and they actually end up with better field position. Almost like the football gods are smiling their way or something. Well, I'll still take getting the Lombardi :D
There were actually 5 fumbles.
Ingram demolished Wilson, Seattle recovered.
SD forced Harvin fumble on kickoff return, SD recovered.
Seattle punches ball from Mathews, SD recovered.
Rivers muffed snap, SD recovered.
Mathews muffed handoff, SD recovered.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
lobohawk":27s7e2ph said:
The Chargers ... and Rivers did this to Denver last year. Made the Bronco's offense sit all game and then played timely defense in the few situations they had to.

The difference between this game and the Chargers-Cardinals game was that the Cards would bring more pressure to the pocket up the middle and the Chargers looked rusty (first game and all that).
I thought we would have success doing the same especially with Hardwick ailing and all.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Great breakdowns by most on this thread... We crapped the bed today, flush it, and refocus for next week.
No team is going to go 16-0, as you pretty much have to play stellar ball, and get a lot of breaks. Its a nice dream, but not a realistic reality.

TRIODEROB

Reaction score
Charger fan huge - huge win for my team !

a few points - the heat was brutal today - it WAS very humid as a tropical storm is coming so I think the weather was a factor.

the other point is that this game is how the Bolts have been playing for 2 years now - while it was there A game remember they did go to Denver last year and did just about the same thing - its just Charger ball.

combine this with the heat and you know it going to not be fun for the D.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Doug Baldwin also had a horrible game. 2 unbaldwin like drops and a blown block that got (Turbin I think?) blown up in the backfield.

And Jon Ryan's short punt didn't help matters.

Plus the heat and humidity, San Diego in white uniforms, Seahawks in DARK uniforms.

This team played horrible all the way around and I don't think Pete prepared them properly for the heat and humidity.

FortWorthSeahawk

Reaction score
ivotuk":3fikrbdm said:
Doug Baldwin also had a horrible game. 2 unbaldwin like drops and a blown block that got (Turbin I think?) blown up in the backfield.

And Jon Ryan's short punt didn't help matters.

Plus the heat and humidity, San Diego in white uniforms, Seahawks in DARK uniforms.

This team played horrible all the way around and I don't think Pete prepared them properly for the heat and humidity.

Didn't Jacksonville do that to us as well, when we opened up the 2005 season?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I absolutely cannot wrap my head around the avoidance of Percy and Lynch today. It's blowing my mind still to this moment. Of course, 4/4 on fumble recoveries for San Diego is also absurd, but that's bad luck way more than anything else. Not feeding the Beast OR a dynamic playmaker like Harvin who is completely healthy, those are active decisions that...I simply can't explain in any way. Maybe somebody else can? It's not like the Chargers defense was blowing up our running game.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
akon":3mno2g17 said:
gargantual":3mno2g17 said:
Seahawk Sailor":3mno2g17 said:
There were actually 5 fumbles.
Ingram demolished Wilson, Seattle recovered.
SD forced Harvin fumble on kickoff return, SD recovered.
Seattle punches ball from Mathews, SD recovered.
Rivers muffed snap, SD recovered.
Mathews muffed handoff, SD recovered.

Wilson did not fumble the ball; he is not credited for a fumble in the game. But even so, the point stands. Very rarely do you see a team get every single fumble of a multiple-fumble game like that. Lucky bounces all. It wasn't the reason for the loss, but it certainly didn't help our cause.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Agreed with pretty much everything here. Got to tip your hat to the Chargers.

With that said, I'm not worried about the team. And I realize this may sound like trying to put a positive spin on a loss, but if there was any game that would be an acceptable loss this year, this one was it. AFC opponent, on the road, early in the season. Affects the W/L record, but barely touches tiebreakers. And if it makes the team more focused and hungry for next week, all the better.

Sealake80

Reaction score
I really appreciate these random thoughts topics. Thanks Kearly. Also impressed by fans giving credit where credit is due. I started a congrats Chargers topic but after reading this one it sorta seems unnecessary in a way. Go 12's and Go seahawks!

rastahawk

Reaction score
Just got back from the game. Man it was HOT! And then some. I was afraid it was going to be a factor and it was. That '02 Miami game was the perfect comparison. Our defense was on the field too long and for the life of me we couldn't stop the short dump offs by Rivers. The Chargers kept the ball moving and getting first down after first down. I don't recall our D getting a 3 and out. On a day like this its punishing on our defense. Credit to the Chargers though I was waiting for them to choke in the 4th qtr and it never came. It was good to see a game though.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I posted this in another thread, but it fits in this one even better. (And I'm lazy.)

San Diego imposed their will on us on offense for most of the game. We couldn't get them out of rhythm. They took what we gave them absolutely masterfully. That's their specialty, though.

They led the league in a couple of sustained drive stats last year, it's not really a fluke. We saw this coming. And they still pulled it off.

Pete Carroll dares offenses to dink and dunk us to death, and most teams can't find success against a ball hawking, aggressive, physical D. The formula is successful, in part (in my opinion), because of this key principle.

San Diego pulled it off today. There were phenomenal.