Rangers trade Russell Wilson rights to Yankees

chris98251

Reaction score
kidhawk":114spp3v said:
chris98251":114spp3v said:
kidhawk":114spp3v said:
Bobblehead":114spp3v said:
Isn't Wilson's contract about up?.. seems there are two teams in NY who need a QB.

He has 2 years left on his current deal and the odds of him going anywhere are slim to none.

Alex Smith, Jay Cutler, Drew Brees in San Diego, nobody is untouchable.

I didn't say untouchable, I said slim to none. Out of that list you made, Smith and Brees both had young quarterbacks groomed to take their place, and Cutler retired. Unless you really think we have a qb on our roster ready to be a franchise quarterback, the odds of Wilson leaving are (as I said before) slim to none.

Speaking of Cutler with the Broncos and Bree's with the Chargers he was just getting started, you could add Carson Palmer twice once with the Bengals and once with the Raiders, there are so many more. John and Pete like what Russell brings to the table, but does his ability become less shiny with 24 million or so a season versus being able to get what the Eagles got in a Foles, or the Vikings with Keenum, or a draft pick even. Mediots are already throwing out he is underpaid for his performance and that the Yankees are leverage.

kidhawk

Reaction score
chris98251":2n72scwy said:
kidhawk":2n72scwy said:
chris98251":2n72scwy said:
kidhawk":2n72scwy said:
He has 2 years left on his current deal and the odds of him going anywhere are slim to none.

Alex Smith, Jay Cutler, Drew Brees in San Diego, nobody is untouchable.

I didn't say untouchable, I said slim to none. Out of that list you made, Smith and Brees both had young quarterbacks groomed to take their place, and Cutler retired. Unless you really think we have a qb on our roster ready to be a franchise quarterback, the odds of Wilson leaving are (as I said before) slim to none.

Speaking of Cutler with the Broncos and Bree's with the Chargers he was just getting started, you could add Carson Palmer twice once with the Bengals and once with the Raiders, there are so many more. John and Pete like what Russell brings to the table, but does his ability become less shiny with 24 million or so a season versus being able to get what the Eagles got in a Foles, or the Vikings with Keenum, or a draft pick even. Mediots are already throwing out he is underpaid for his performance and that the Yankees are leverage.

Palmer wasn't going to play another snap with the Bengals, so again, nothing like our situation. And Cutler really isn't even on Wilson's level. He's a starter, but not a franchise type guy. As for Brees, I was talking about the Chargers as well. They wanted Rivers to be the guy, but the coaches didn't and they had an internal power struggle. I seriously doubt that is going on here.

The question you bring up is valid, but your examples don't really work. Can a team win without a franchise quarterback? Sure they can, but they need to step it up everywhere else. The bigger question, is can a team win consistently and over the long haul without a franchise quarterback? I think the majority of coaches in the NFL would much rather take their chances with a franchise quarterback than go without one. Now, do you believe Russell Wilson is truly a franchise quarterback, or is he merely a good quarterback on a great team? If you think he's a franchise guy, he goes nowhere. If you believe he's just a good quarterback on a great team, he becomes expendable.

chris98251

Reaction score
You speak of Cutler, Palmer, Brees with todays knowledge, that's ok, speak of them at the time and it's different, Cutler was a hot commodity, Bree's was a hot commodity and Palmer was coming off a injury but was also a hot QB, only question was is he able to play at the same level as before.

But yes everyone has to ask the question about Wilson, it will take a decent and not necessarily a great O line and a semblance of a Running game to really see how good he is. If he can turn a average cast of characters around him productive offense then yes he is a Franchise guy, if he needs elite then he is simply a good QB.

I think we will see somewhere around game 5 next year if the Offense starts to swing upwards more.

kidhawk

Reaction score
chris98251":21br13l6 said:
You speak of Cutler, Palmer, Brees with todays knowledge, that's ok, speak of them at the time and it's different, Cutler was a hot commodity, Bree's was a hot commodity and Palmer was coming off a injury but was also a hot QB, only question was is he able to play at the same level as before.

But yes everyone has to ask the question about Wilson, it will take a decent and not necessarily a great O line and a semblance of a Running game to really see how good he is. If he can turn a average cast of characters around him productive offense then yes he is a Franchise guy, if he needs elite then he is simply a good QB.

I think we will see somewhere around game 5 next year if the Offense starts to swing upwards more.

Actually, no, I was speaking of how I remember those quarterbacks and my opinions on each of them.

As I said, Palmer had said he'd retire before playing another down for the Bengals and was demanding a trade, which is why it's nothing like the Wilson situation.

Cutler was someone who some were hot on and others not so much. I was never overly high on him. I thought he was an above average guy, but I've never felt he was the answer long term to any team's search for a franchise guy. I can understand and fully admit that there were others who had varying opinions on him becoming that franchise guy, but I can only speak for myself here.

Brees was by all accounts a very good quarterback who I felt the Chargers were foolish for letting go. It may be the closest to mimicking a scenario where Wilson is traded or let go, but I just don't see our GM and coach disagreeing on who should qb this team like they did in San Diego, and thus, I don't think the comparison really works.

I do agree though, this will be an interesting season as I believe we will push for this team to be more balanced (ie more potent offensively while allowing for a dip on the defensive side of the ball). This kind of goes against Pete's apparent philosophy though, so I could be totally off base, but either way, as you said, we'll know pretty early on what exactly comes of the off season changes.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
So the question is why?

Why does Russ want to be traded to the Yankees? Obviously this was facilitated by his agent for some reason.

I've read online that this is for leverage going into a contract year next year? But that doesn't make sense, NO ONE including someone as smart as John Schneider believes Russell would ever toil in the minors making 75k a year over 25M as a QB in the NFL.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3inl9frm said:
So the question is why?

Why does Russ want to be traded to the Yankees? Obviously this was facilitated by his agent for some reason.

I've read online that this is for leverage going into a contract year next year? But that doesn't make sense, NO ONE including someone as smart as John Schneider believes Russell would ever toil in the minors making 75k a year over 25M as a QB in the NFL.

Assuming Wilson asked for this, there is probably one major reason behind it and that's endorsement money. As big as his name is now, associate it with a team like the Yankees and watch his endorsements continue to climb. Getting to be a popular face in the NY market is HUGE for after his football career is over.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
kidhawk":2zaqwoog said:
Sgt. Largent":2zaqwoog said:
So the question is why?

Assuming Wilson asked for this, there is probably one major reason behind it and that's endorsement money. As big as his name is now, associate it with a team like the Yankees and watch his endorsements continue to climb. Getting to be a popular face in the NY market is HUGE for after his football career is over.

I guess this makes sense, but the Yankee fans are savvy, are they going to buy some novelty signing and buy merch?

Especially for a player I betcha most Giant and Jets fans don't particularly like.

Just seems like an odd thing for Russell to do.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":t2yf2pud said:
kidhawk":t2yf2pud said:
Sgt. Largent":t2yf2pud said:
So the question is why?

I guess this makes sense, but the Yankee fans are savvy, are they going to buy some novelty signing and buy merch?

Especially for a player I betcha most Giant and Jets fans don't particularly like.

I don’t see this as a big deal outside of a few more ad dollars in Russ’ pocket.
Besides we don’t know if he asked for it. This could all be Yankees marketing.
I thinks it’s safe to say the Yankees have the best QB in New York now. :)

kidhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":xaaicv9n said:
kidhawk":xaaicv9n said:
Sgt. Largent":xaaicv9n said:
So the question is why?

My point wasn't in particular to Yankees merchandise, just getting his popularity to rise in the NY market. That plays well for advertisers as the East Coast is where the money is as far as marketing is concerned, and also careers after football. By gaining popularity on the East coast, he increases his brand value if that makes sense.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2icxj618 said:
I don’t see this as a big deal outside of a few more ad dollars in Russ’ pocket.

I'm not saying it is a big deal, or I'm mad about it. I'm just asking why, seems like a bunch of nonsense.

The Yankee fans or east coast markets aren't going to embrace Russell's endorsement empire any more than we'd embrace Eli Manning being signed by the M's as a joke novelty signing. It's not even real.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":gk1vyu55 said:
Sports Hernia":gk1vyu55 said:

I'm not saying it is a big deal, or I'm mad about it. I'm just asking why, seems like a bunch of nonsense.

The Yankee fans or east coast markets aren't going to embrace Russell's endorsement empire any more than we'd embrace Eli Manning being signed by the M's as a joke novelty signing. It's not even real.

It's really all just speculation...who knows....maybe Russ just always wanted to be a Yankee growing up. Maybe his agent felt it would increase his non playing value. We'll probably never know.

In the end, it's his off season hobby. One thing is for sure, I've never seen anything he's done in the off season as a distraction from his goal of being ready to play each and every year. He is always putting in not just the time necessary to have a successful off season, but he appears to put in extra time.

One thing I am sure most of us can agree on, it's a much better hobby than a lot what a lot of athlete's do with their off season time.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
kidhawk":rrppazn5 said:
Sgt. Largent":rrppazn5 said:
Sports Hernia":rrppazn5 said:

It's really all just speculation...who knows....maybe Russ just always wanted to be a Yankee growing up. Maybe his agent felt it would increase his non playing value. We'll probably never know.

In the end, it's his off season hobby. One thing is for sure, I've never seen anything he's done in the off season as a distraction from his goal of being ready to play each and every year. He is always putting in not just the time necessary to have a successful off season, but he appears to put in extra time.

One thing I am sure most of us can agree on, it's a much better hobby than a lot what a lot of athlete's do with their off season time.

I think it's as simple as Russell and his agent want a higher profile nationally.................but like I said, not sure a phony signing with the Yankees does that.

But yes, it's harmless, just had me scratching my head.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1o96cc0g said:
Sports Hernia":1o96cc0g said:

I’m not trying to say you were, my statement was stated in a general sense, my apologies if it read like I was singling you out.
Kid explained it better and than I did. My guess is it is trying to get RW’s “brand” out to a major market for future endorsements.

chris98251

Reaction score
If Wilson plays in Spring Ball in Tampa which is where the Yankees have their training camp he will be marketed, Yankees will use it the best they can and I would think with Yankee Money there will be a choice made every time a contract situation comes up. Throw in the Mediots now saying that Wilson is wanting to come to the Giants or Jets to push it. Wilsons Agent is a Baseball guy as well, Wilson is his only Football client.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
chris98251":2d39csqs said:
If Wilson plays in Spring Ball in Tampa which is where the Yankees have their training camp he will be marketed, Yankees will use it the best they can and I would think with Yankee Money there will be a choice made every time a contract situation comes up. Throw in the Mediots now saying that Wilson is wanting to come to the Giants or Jets to push it. Wilsons Agent is a Baseball guy as well, Wilson is his only Football client.

C'mon, no one thinks the Yankees are going to pay Wilson even close to the kind of money it'd take to lure him away from football.

Russell's a singe A or AA player at best, those guys make 50k a year.

If Russell and his agent made this move for some sort of leverage play because his extension is looming next year, they're idiots. No way in hell Russell's passing up a 4-5 year 25-30M a year football contract to go stink in the minors at age 30.

This is nothing more than a publicity stunt cause Russell thinks he can expand his brand, and IMO it's a poor one, cause no east coast Yankee or baseball fans gives a crap about Russell Wilson.

chris98251

Reaction score
Yeah they said the same about Tebow and now he has been moved up to the big league clubs spring training for the Mets. If they can make a buck of his name since they have his rights they will.

Wilson may not be serious granted, but he also may be looking at our O line and saying can I survive another year, he is just a fielder that can hit for contact at best from what I read.

It's his agent and business as you say brand that will benefit, cannot underestimate the stupidity of what people will buy into or react too as well.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
chris98251":18ygt3u3 said:
Yeah they said the same about Tebow and now he has been moved up to the big league clubs spring training for the Mets. If they can make a buck of his name since they have his rights they will.

Wilson may not be serious granted, but he also may be looking at our O line and saying can I survive another year, he is just a fielder that can hit for contact at best from what I read.

It's his agent and business as you say brand that will benefit, cannot underestimate the stupidity of what people will buy into or react too as well.

Tebow couldn't find a job in the NFL, that's why he's playing baseball...................and sure the Yankees might get some pub for Wilson being at spring training with them, just as the Rangers did.

Famous QB comes in and gives the players a pep talk and takes some grounders. No harm in that.

But for Russell and/or his agent to think this is some sort of leverage against the Hawks next year for contract negotiations? That's laughable.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1ta5ojai said:
chris98251":1ta5ojai said:

Tebow couldn't find a job in the NFL, that's why he's playing baseball...................and sure the Yankees might get some pub for Wilson being at spring training with them, just as the Rangers did.

Famous QB comes in and gives the players a pep talk and takes some grounders. No harm in that.

But for Russell and/or his agent to think this is some sort of leverage against the Hawks next year for contract negotiations? That's laughable.
Plus Russ would look chubby in pinstripes. 8)

JimmyG

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2wv1g47n said:
getnasty":2wv1g47n said:
Maybe I just hate the Yankees but I feel like Russ needs to focus more on football and give up the rest of these distractions. Yes I know he was great last year but could he be better if he didn't have all of this other stuff going on?
Russ has no control over his baseball rights getting traded, but I’m assuming you knew that.
There's no way you can convince me the Yankees made this trade out of the blue. I guarantee you him and his agent made it happen.

This is a non-story anyway. Wilson grew up a Yankees fan. I'm sure he'll show up to Spring Training, don the pinstripes for one day, maybe get one at-bat, play 2B for an inning or two, and then call it a day. I don't think this is a publicity stunt, it's more of a "Billy Crystal checks a box off his bucket list and suits up for the Yanks" situation. Wilson will fulfill his childhood dream of "playing" for the Yankees, and his dream will be complete. Maybe he even pays the organization an annual visit every Spring Training, who knows.

I'm absolutely positive he's completely committed to football and that this is only him dabbling in a little offseason fun.

Latest posts