Rapaport: SEA likely to extend Earl, Sherm not goin anywhere

Ginahawk

Reaction score
Seymour":17jp6360 said:
chris98251":17jp6360 said:
All these Mediots are guessing right now, teams rarely let anything out of the bag during the F.A. signing period and the draft. If they guess right they say I told you so, if wrong the in named source was misinformed.

Source? Like HSU uses, many sources are the bathroom mirror at the corner Shell station. In a pinch a shiny chrome moony hubcap will do "for an official source".

Your glasses look like a source.

Seymour

Reaction score
Ginahawk":2lesvhiv said:
Seymour":2lesvhiv said:
chris98251":2lesvhiv said:
All these Mediots are guessing right now, teams rarely let anything out of the bag during the F.A. signing period and the draft. If they guess right they say I told you so, if wrong the in named source was misinformed.

Source? Like HSU uses, many sources are the bathroom mirror at the corner Shell station. In a pinch a shiny chrome moony hubcap will do "for an official source".

Your glasses look like a source.

Correct.
Either a source of supernatural powers or a source of irritation.....you make the call. ;)

edogg23

Reaction score
If ET is unwilling to play out the final year of his deal, then thanks for playing Earl. Why reward that with an extension? This screams desperation.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
edogg23":3k25m2ie said:
If ET is unwilling to play out the final year of his deal, then thanks for playing Earl. Why reward that with an extension? This screams desperation.

You seem to be confused. Getting an extension done with a year left isn't 'rewarding a refusal to play out the last year'. It's 'locking in a player before he becomes a free agent, and thereby holding down the cost a bit'. Who said ET3 isn't willing to play out the final year of his contract, anyway?

Seymour

Reaction score
GeekHawk":2clc7yzl said:
edogg23":2clc7yzl said:

You seem to be confused. Getting an extension done with a year left isn't 'rewarding a refusal to play out the last year'. It's 'locking in a player before he becomes a free agent, and thereby holding down the cost a bit'. Who said ET3 isn't willing to play out the final year of his contract, anyway?

ET pretty much said that himself.

"I definitely don't see myself going out there not signed. But I'm going to continue to work my butt off and enjoy this process at the Pro Bowl."

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2bm2ihuv said:
Would love for both to be extended and to watch the rosterbating faux GM’s here lose their crap. 8)

Yeah, who cares about improving the roster .. as long as a few anonymous internet people are incorrect on their "Become a GM!" post that's what truly matters here.

:roll:

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":1crrmlg4 said:
KiwiHawk":1crrmlg4 said:
GeekHawk":1crrmlg4 said:
Since Sherm does it through mostly brains and film study, I expect that he would make a very good position coach when he slows down from age/injuries. When that happens, I hope he retires as a Seahawk and sticks around to coach.
Maybe he will after his broadcasting career, but I doubt very much he would turn down the sort of cash and national attention networks would offer to be a mere position coach.

I think you're right, my Southern-hemisphere friend. Sherm's degree is in communication, and it makes sense for him to use it in the area he knows best. The money there is also good enough to draw him.
Oh it's more than that. I believe he's been consciously cultivating that opportunity since he joined the league. He started off as a loudmouth to get national attention, then calmed down is persona once he was a household name, then started his blog and trend toward appearing rational and thoughtful while still taking stands on topical player issues. The people who liked him before love him now that he's a bit less caustic, and the people who didn't like him before begin to forgive his previous outbursts in light of his passion and intelligence.

In the mean time he proves he can write and provides valuable insight as a well-connected player.

If you sat in a Stanford communications class and your project was scripting an athlete's career with the eventual end being a broadcast deal, I don't know if you can write it up any better than Sherman has performed it. Hes kind of like a Deion Sanders who stopped being an insufferable prick at some point, unlike the real one.

FormerEvil

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":tsup58g1 said:
ImTheScientist":tsup58g1 said:
Hope he is wrong. Will just continue the trend of holding onto the past and players past their prime.

Neither Earl nor Sherm are past their prime.

This 100%. The thought that Earl OR Sherm are "past their prime" is absurd. Safeties can play at an elite level well into their 30's and Earl is only 28 right now. And Sherm (29) has never been dependent on speed as his main attribute so that doesn't hold water with him as well.

I don't understand how getting rid of the best FS in the league whose team's defensive scheme is literally built around him and a shutdown corner that eliminates one side of the field and replacing them with league average players (at best) makes you a better team... Defensive backs can still play at a very high level into their 30's. There are plenty of historic examples to prove the point.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
FormerEvil":293mrnm1 said:
XxXdragonXxX":293mrnm1 said:
ImTheScientist":293mrnm1 said:
Hope he is wrong. Will just continue the trend of holding onto the past and players past their prime.

This 100%. The thought that Earl OR Sherm are "past their prime" is absurd. Safeties can play at an elite level well into their 30's and Earl is only 28 right now. And Sherm (29) has never been dependent on speed as his main attribute so that doesn't hold water with him as well.

I don't understand how getting rid of the best FS in the league whose team's defensive scheme is literally built around him and a shutdown corner that eliminates one side of the field and replacing them with league average players (at best) makes you a better team... Defensive backs can still play at a very high level into their 30's. There are plenty of historic examples to prove the point.

Yes the are, both of them.

"Prime" means the height of their speed, quickness, health, effectiveness, athleticism and most importantly focus and determination.

Neither Sherman or Earl are at the same level they were in all the attributes I listed above, especially the health part.

Still both very good players, but sorry neither is at the level of their prime 3-4 years ago.

ApnaHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":23s56rma said:
FormerEvil":23s56rma said:
XxXdragonXxX":23s56rma said:
ImTheScientist":23s56rma said:

"Prime" means the height of their speed, quickness, health, effectiveness, athleticism and most importantly focus and determination.

Neither Sherman or Earl are at the same level they were in all the attributes I listed above, especially the health part.

Still both very good players, but sorry neither is at the level of their prime 3-4 years ago.

What.......

A HOF safety at 28 is past his prime???? A possible HOF corner is past his prime at 29???? They're understanding of the X's n O's is far superior then it was then. The game has slowed down tremendously for them. Largent, you post some good stuff man, but cmon.. This is absurd.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2y5fqb6m said:
FormerEvil":2y5fqb6m said:
XxXdragonXxX":2y5fqb6m said:
ImTheScientist":2y5fqb6m said:

Still both very good players, but sorry neither is at the level of their prime 3-4 years ago

Thank you. The voice of reality can be shocking to those living yesterday again and again.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
ApnaHawk":33c1s6pp said:
What.......

A HOF safety at 28 is past his prime???? A possible HOF corner is past his prime at 29???? They're understanding of the X's n O's is far superior then it was then. The game has slowed down tremendously for them. Largent, you post some good stuff man, but cmon.. This is absurd.

I said they were both still very good players, but just taking into account health they are past their prime.

Doesn't mean I don't want them, doesn't mean they both aren't still top 5 at their position IF healthy. But the statement was they are not past their prime............and you can certainly have a different definition of "prime" than me.

But my definition is the PEAK of their health, speed, quickness, production, determination, commitment etc. So sorry, neither Earl or Sherm is or even was playing at their 2012-2014 level last year.

Can they regain that level of play? Idk, doubtful. That's not how most players age, especially defensive backs and safeties.

I'm not fixating on age like you guys, I'm fixating on the tangibles...........and the tangibles say "past their prime."

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2rdymw0t said:
ApnaHawk":2rdymw0t said:
What.......

I said they were both still very good players, but just taking into account health they are past their prime.

Doesn't mean I don't want them, doesn't mean they both aren't still top 5 at their position IF healthy. But the statement was they are not past their prime............and you can certainly have a different definition of "prime" than me.

But my definition is the PEAK of their health, speed, quickness, production, determination, commitment etc. So sorry, neither Earl or Sherm is or even was playing at their 2012-2014 level last year.

Can they regain that level of play? Idk, doubtful. That's not how most players age, especially defensive backs and safeties.

I'm not fixating on age like you guys, I'm fixating on the tangibles...........and the tangibles say "past their prime."

Personally, I think they could be effective. Now my scale goes like this....

1. Elite level... means they need no one to make them great.
2. Effective level...means they are good enough but may need help once in a while. They can provide that help too sometimes.
3. Average level...means they could use backup a great portion of the time.
4. Below average level....means they need a lot of help and are missing the point of playing the game.
5. Cary Williams...no comment necessary.

As I stated, they can be effective in my opinion.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":2u0ir5ea said:

2. Effective level...means they are good enough but may need help once in a while. They can provide that help too sometimes.
4. Below average level....means they need a lot of help and are missing the point of playing the game.

The conversation was "past their prime."

Of course both players can still be effective, again if healthy. Not an easy decision for John and Pete to make on either player..........unfortunately if you forced me to choose now on what to do with Richard and Earl? Trade Earl and see if Richard can regain his form and stay healthy in 2018 to see if an extension is in order.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1b3msbkg said:
Seahawkfan80":1b3msbkg said:

The conversation was "past their prime."

Of course both players can still be effective, again if healthy. Not an easy decision for John and Pete to make on either player..........unfortunately if you forced me to choose now on what to do with Richard and Earl? Trade Earl and see if Richard can regain his form and stay healthy in 2018 to see if an extension is in order.

Agreed. I personally think that Effective is close to past their prime. They have juice, but are not at that elite level. The rest of your comment is where I stand as well.

chris98251

Reaction score
They have a lot more mileage on their bodies then a lot of players their same age the playoffs are great for fans but take their toll, they also play physical more wear and tear you could add two years to their age because of this at least.

Seymour

Reaction score
chris98251":170yi9sj said:
They have a lot more mileage on their bodies then a lot of players their same age the playoffs are great for fans but take their toll, they also play physical more wear and tear you could add two years to their age because of this at least.

Exactly. How many years did Pete think Kam could keep hitting at that level of intimidation?

original poster

Reaction score
Latest reports from Tony Pauline say Seattle will be discussing trades for Earl and/or Sherm at the combine.

Shock.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
original poster":8uky3vo3 said:
Latest reports from Tony Pauline say Seattle will be discussing trades for Earl and/or Sherm at the combine.

Shock.
They listened to offers for Sherm last year too. Probably will “listen to offers”’ for Russ and Bobby Wagner as well.