Rapaport: SEA likely to extend Earl, Sherm not goin anywhere

Seymour

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2f1c26wu said:
original poster":2f1c26wu said:
Latest reports from Tony Pauline say Seattle will be discussing trades for Earl and/or Sherm at the combine.

Shock.
They listened to offers for Sherm last year too. Probably will “listen to offers”’ for Russ and Bobby Wagner as well.

"Listening to offers", and vocally promoting trade offers from the FO is entirely different. We've been through this discussion, so lets not just blow this off as SOP IMO.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
original poster":1qcwz8jb said:
Latest reports from Tony Pauline say Seattle will be discussing trades for Earl and/or Sherm at the combine.

Shock.

My guess is EVERY high priced player in the league that's;

- not playing to his contract
- only has a year left on his deal
- team isn't crazy about extending

His team is entertaining trade offers.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Seymour":1rrxo83c said:
Sports Hernia":1rrxo83c said:
original poster":1rrxo83c said:

Shock.
They listened to offers for Sherm last year too. Probably will “listen to offers”’ for Russ and Bobby Wagner as well.

"Listening to offers", and vocally promoting trade offers from the FO is entirely different. We've been through this discussion, so lets not just blow this off as SOP IMO.
I disagree.

12forlife

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3g3bsi2r said:
original poster":3g3bsi2r said:

Shock.

Not gonna happen. Russell & Bobby are the only 2 guys that are locks on the entire roster. Pete has gone away from his mantra of young hungry talent with chips on their shoulders. We have way to much money wrapped up on one side of the ball, with aging players that aren't preforming up to their salary cap hits. Time to take a note from the Patriots, only person that has been unmovable for them for years has been Brady. We couldn't get the right trade value out of Sherman last year, so w/ him coming off serious injury it definitely isn't gonna happen this year, I see us keeping him this year, and let him walk next year in order to get the comp pick. As for Earl, If someone feels he is their missing piece and offer the right draft bounty I believe they might let Earl go. The players these days have no loyalty, so why should the FO?

chris98251

Reaction score
12forlife":1umwe0pl said:
Sports Hernia":1umwe0pl said:
original poster":1umwe0pl said:

Shock.

Not gonna happen. Russell & Bobby are the only 2 guys that are locks on the entire roster. Pete has gone away from his mantra of young hungry talent with chips on their shoulders. We have way to much money wrapped up on one side of the ball, with aging players that aren't preforming up to their salary cap hits. Time to take a note from the Patriots, only person that has been unmovable for them for years has been Brady. We couldn't get the right trade value out of Sherman last year, so w/ him coming off serious injury it definitely isn't gonna happen this year, I see us keeping him this year, and let him walk next year in order to get the comp pick. As for Earl, If someone feels he is their missing piece and offer the right draft bounty I believe they might let Earl go. The players these days have no loyalty, so why should the FO?

You mean he won't stay because of the love of the fans? :p

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":22af487c said:
Sgt. Largent":22af487c said:
Seahawkfan80":22af487c said:
Personally, I think they could be effective. Now my scale goes like this....

1. Elite level... means they need no one to make them great.
2. Effective level...means they are good enough but may need help once in a while. They can provide that help too sometimes.
3. Average level...means they could use backup a great portion of the time.
4. Below average level....means they need a lot of help and are missing the point of playing the game.
5. Cary Williams...no comment necessary.

As I stated, they can be effective in my opinion.

The conversation was "past their prime."

Of course both players can still be effective, again if healthy. Not an easy decision for John and Pete to make on either player..........unfortunately if you forced me to choose now on what to do with Richard and Earl? Trade Earl and see if Richard can regain his form and stay healthy in 2018 to see if an extension is in order.

Agreed. I personally think that Effective is close to past their prime. They have juice, but are not at that elite level. The rest of your comment is where I stand as well.
Okay, all you talent evaluators, reason me this........(At this time & money WITHOUT a major drop off ),WHO do you have that is good enough to replace them in Pete's system??
I'm not saying that Pete won't pull the pin on one or both of these guys, but they are NOT going to be easy to replace.

chris98251

Reaction score
scutterhawk":206spcnl said:
Seahawkfan80":206spcnl said:
Sgt. Largent":206spcnl said:
Seahawkfan80":206spcnl said:

2. Effective level...means they are good enough but may need help once in a while. They can provide that help too sometimes.
4. Below average level....means they need a lot of help and are missing the point of playing the game.

Of course both players can still be effective, again if healthy. Not an easy decision for John and Pete to make on either player..........unfortunately if you forced me to choose now on what to do with Richard and Earl? Trade Earl and see if Richard can regain his form and stay healthy in 2018 to see if an extension is in order.

Agreed. I personally think that Effective is close to past their prime. They have juice, but are not at that elite level. The rest of your comment is where I stand as well.
Okay, all you talent evaluators, reason me this........(At this time & money WITHOUT a major drop off ),WHO do you have that is good enough to replace them in Pete's system??
I'm not saying that Pete won't pull the pin on one or both of these guys, but they are NOT going to be easy to replace.

First you don't replace you adjust, you find players that have talent and adjust the scheme to fit that talent, maybe become more Linebacker focused till the new guys get up to speed, change the D line to be more aggressive and stunt more, give Wilson tools and unleash the Kraken with him and score 1st thru 4th Quarters.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
chris98251":tql45wes said:
scutterhawk":tql45wes said:
Seahawkfan80":tql45wes said:
Sgt. Largent":tql45wes said:

First you don't replace you adjust, you find players that have talent and adjust the scheme to fit that talent, maybe become more Linebacker focused till the new guys get up to speed, change the D line to be more aggressive and stunt more, give Wilson tools and unleash the Kraken with him and score 1st thru 4th Quarters.
All great & legitimate points, but that would be a drastic adjustment for the Pete Carroll Secondary system, and I don't see ANY perspective players within our reach that could make up for the absence of Sherman or Thomas, let alone both players out of the Seahawks lineup.

12forlife

Reaction score
scutterhawk":30kjj3dh said:
Seahawkfan80":30kjj3dh said:
Sgt. Largent":30kjj3dh said:
Seahawkfan80":30kjj3dh said:

You can't expect to fill ET/Sherman with rookie talent, but we need to be real & understand we are in rebuild mode. So if we can collect the right draft capital for ET maybe even Bennett I would not be surprised to see PC/JS make some serious moves this off season, I think there is going to be several moving pieces that shock/piss fans off, but will be better for the team in a year or 2. There are some guys in this draft that I see a lot of Sherman, Chancellor & ET in their game. Remember Sherman & Bam Bam were both mid round talents. Don't have to reach, just have to find those guys that get over looked that have a chip on their shoulders and want to compete ala Shaq Griffin

hawkman

Reaction score
12forlife":1nxbf9ye said:
scutterhawk":1nxbf9ye said:
Seahawkfan80":1nxbf9ye said:
Sgt. Largent":1nxbf9ye said:

You can't expect to fill ET/Sherman with rookie talent, but we need to be real & understand we are in rebuild mode. So if we can collect the right draft capital for ET maybe even Bennett I would not be surprised to see PC/JS make some serious moves this off season, I think there is going to be several moving pieces that shock/piss fans off, but will be better for the team in a year or 2. There are some guys in this draft that I see a lot of Sherman, Chancellor & ET in their game. Remember Sherman & Bam Bam were both mid round talents. Don't have to reach, just have to find those guys that get over looked that have a chip on their shoulders and want to compete ala Shaq Griffin

Great post! Agree on collecting draft capital. We won’t be in a spot to complete for a SB for sometime. No point in wasting resources now for nothing when they could benefit the future.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1b8a5lzs said:
Seahawkfan80":1b8a5lzs said:
Sgt. Largent":1b8a5lzs said:
Seahawkfan80":1b8a5lzs said:

They will never be replaced. They're future HOF'ers (yes, I know, vin.couv12 just spit out his tea, but I'm betting Earl will find a place there) and generational players at their position. Their successors might be solid, but they will never be as good as Earl and Sherm. It's time to start getting used to that.

original poster

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":tjq6ob68 said:
scutterhawk":tjq6ob68 said:
Seahawkfan80":tjq6ob68 said:
Sgt. Largent":tjq6ob68 said:

They will never be replaced. They're future HOF'ers (yes, I know, vin.couv12 just spit out his tea, but I'm betting Earl will find a place there) and generational players at their position. Their successors might be solid, but they will never be as good as Earl and Sherm. It's time to start getting used to that.

Very true.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1h0f83rx said:

Of course not, you don't just replace Richard and Earl.

What we're talking about here is do you extend two guys who are probably on the downside of their careers, or at the least not playing as well as they were when they got their first extension when we were going to SB's and they were at the height of their effectiveness......................more importantly not dealing with major injuries.

Because that's 30M+ of salary.

I know they're not replaceable, those are two borderline HOF'ers. But that doesn't mean I want to tie up 30M+ of cap with two players who will probably never regain their peak form, when we have holes all over this roster.

Hollandhawk

Reaction score
Can someone educate me on when Ronnie Lott was in his prime? :lol: