Rashaad Penny 1st round pick vs Alvin Kamara 3rd round pick

Tokadub

Reaction score
I mean obviously I don't expect us to hit on every pick...

But if you compare Rashaad Penny who has a career total after 4 seasons with 840 rushing yards with Alvin Kamara who has 2 seasons with more rushing yards (883, 932) than Penny's 4 seasons...

Plus Kamara has literally about 20 times more recieving yards (158 vs 3040...)...

What the F...?

Rashaad Penny is right up there with Jamal Adams in franchise failing decisions which will end the Pete + Russell Era without some miracle.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PennRa00.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/K/KamaAl00.htm

Penny had 6 carries for 9 yards in a do or die game for the Seahawks vs the Saints, nice 1st rounder...

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Preach it. If you really want to see the incompetency of this staff look at Chubbs numbers who was drafted after Penny in the same draft.

chris98251

Reaction score
Oh god we could have had Brett Farve instead of Dan McGwire also/

Just stop it guys we have who we have and every team misses, EVERY TEAM.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
chris98251":277u0t6y said:

We don't even need to name players to understand the gross incompetence of our front office drafting a RB in the 1st round, when the entire league knows (including us getting Carson in the 7th round), that you NEVER draft a RB in the 1st round because every draft is full of a dozen or more great college RB's.

Makes no sense.

So remove Penny and Kamara from the equation, the criticism is most definitely correct.

Chapow

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2dmllnka said:
chris98251":2dmllnka said:

We don't even need to name players to understand the gross incompetence of our front office drafting a RB in the 1st round, when the entire league knows (including us getting Carson in the 7th round), that you NEVER draft a RB in the 1st round because every draft is full of a dozen or more great college RB's.

Makes no sense.

So remove Penny and Kamara from the equation, the criticism is most definitely correct.

Apparently the almighty, infallible Bill Belichick doesn't know that. He drafted a RB in the 1st round of that very same draft. Andy Reid and the Chiefs just drafted a RB in the 1st round a year and a half ago. Kinda seems like some very successful coaches on some very good teams might not agree with you.

Also, there's a pretty massive difference between a top 15 pick and a bottom 5 pick in the first round.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Chapow":486klwhz said:
Sgt. Largent":486klwhz said:
chris98251":486klwhz said:

Makes no sense.

Apparently the almighty, infallible Bill Belichick doesn't know that. He drafted a RB in the 1st round of that very same draft. Andy Reid and the Chiefs just drafted a RB in the 1st round a year and a half ago. Kinda seems like some very successful coaches on some very good teams might not agree with you.

Using Michel and Edwards Helaire, two RB's who like Penny haven't come close to living up to 1st round expectations probably isn't helping your point.

Michel isn't even on the Patriots anymore, and Helaire is hurt. You think the almighty Belichick and Reid wouldn't take those picks back? Just a Pete and John should regret wasting their 1st round pick on Penny?

There is no defense for this discussion. In the pass happy modern NFL, there's ZERO evidence that using a 1st round pick on a RB is a good idea. Just too many good ones in the draft, and free agency every single year.

Chapow

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":25yssidp said:
Chapow":25yssidp said:
Sgt. Largent":25yssidp said:
chris98251":25yssidp said:

Makes no sense.

Using Michel and Edwards Helaire, two RB's who like Penny haven't come close to living up to 1st round expectations probably isn't helping your point.

Michel isn't even on the Patriots anymore, and Helaire is hurt. You think the almighty Belichick and Reid wouldn't take those picks back? Just a Pete and John should regret wasting their 1st round pick on Penny?

There is no defense for this discussion. In the pass happy modern NFL, there's ZERO evidence that using a 1st round pick on a RB is a good idea. Just too many good ones in the draft, and free agency every single year.

You're misunderstanding what I'm saying.

I'm not saying that drafting a RB in the 1st round is a good idea. I'm also not saying that it's not. What I am saying is that there is no hard and fast rule, that the entire league knows, that you never draft a RB in the 1st and that if you do it shows gross incompetence. Obviously, Bill Belichick, Andy Reid, Mike Tomlin, Pete Carroll, and quite a few others disagree with you there.

I think it just depends on the team. That teams situation. That teams needs. Where in the draft order that team is picking. What players are available, and who knows how many other factors.

I'd be willing to bet that you'd be singing a different tune if the Seahawks had drafted Nick Chubb instead of Penny in 2018. Or if they had drafted Jonathan Taylor instead of Brooks in 2020 (for the record, I was very much on the "take Taylor at #27" bandwagon in 2020. Sure would be nice right now).

Chapow

Reaction score
Tokadub":9w1s9irc said:
I mean obviously I don't expect us to hit on every pick...

But if you compare Rashaad Penny who has a career total after 4 seasons with 840 rushing yards with Alvin Kamara who has 2 seasons with more rushing yards (883, 932) than Penny's 4 seasons...

Plus Kamara has literally about 20 times more recieving yards (158 vs 3040...)...

What the F...?

Rashaad Penny is right up there with Jamal Adams in franchise failing decisions which will end the Pete + Russell Era without some miracle.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PennRa00.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/K/KamaAl00.htm

Penny had 6 carries for 9 yards in a do or die game for the Seahawks vs the Saints, nice 1st rounder...

Cool.

Now lets compare 2nd round pick D.K. Metcalf vs 1st round pick N'Keal Harry (taken by Bill Belichick and the Patriots).

See? You can do this for literally any team in the NFL, but I'm not really sure what the point is. The draft is pretty damn far from an exact science. Most draft picks don't work out, or don't live up to expectations. There are always guys that end up being way better than anyone thought they would be, and there are always guys that everyone thought would be great that end end up being not so great.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
chris98251":37ip23ab said:
Oh god we could have had Brett Farve instead of Dan McGwire also/

I think the frustration level is not in what we missed, but rather in how many times we have missed.. you know, like every time.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well these absolutes bug me, you never draft a RB in the first round, so no Tomlinson, Campbell, Sanders, Warner, Allen, etc.................

You should always wait to draft a QB, you can find them in the 6th and 3rd rounds, stupid to draft a player that has less the 50 percent success rate when there are more holes to fill.

We should just stop looking for TE's also and just put Tackles in instead for as much as we use them as receivers.

See how this can be spun and every team in the league has a variation on it.