Rashaad Penny to the Eagles

AgentDib

Reaction score
A) PCJS were not going to have him back at any price, or

B) RP did not want to be a Seahawks.
My bet is C) Penny wanted to play for the Eagles more. This ended up needing to be yet another prove it year for Penny, and so he's picking the situation where he'll look the best if he stays healthy. I think if you look at it objectively from his perspective there is more upside to being the star in Philadelphia next year than to sharing carries with Walker in Seattle.

The Eagles OL was right at the top of the NFL last season in generating yards before contact for their rushers, and Penny was right at the top of the list of rushers generating yards after contact. Putting them together is a recipe for a monster season right up until he gets hurt again. I wouldn't be surprised if he's a top 10 fantasy pick next year despite the injury history.

Fade

Reaction score
Shoulda brought him back.

Betting on himself woulda worked out just fine in SEA with his 6 ypc avg.

$1.35M is chump change.

Seattle gets a D grade for letting him walk for so little. Injury history is negligible when you're talking a contract barely above league minimum.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Love Penny and had big hopes with him but the guy has had the worst
injury bug(s) next to Procise..His body is just not allowing him to play
at this level and it's not his fault as it does happen.
I'm ok with letting him go,I think he is pretty much done at this point
it's not like the Hawks just gave up and didn't try to stick with him.
At some point enough is enough but it does suck to think what could
have been.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I was concerned at the time that he never went to a power 5 school. It just felt at the time that he was taken too high. He flashed at times but Chris Carson was more productive for us as a 6th round pick despite his own injuries.
Marshall Faulk and Ronnie Hillman went to the same university. SD State has done well with RBs in the NFL for a non power 5 school.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
My bet is C) Penny wanted to play for the Eagles more. This ended up needing to be yet another prove it year for Penny, and so he's picking the situation where he'll look the best if he stays healthy. I think if you look at it objectively from his perspective there is more upside to being the star in Philadelphia next year than to sharing carries with Walker in Seattle.

The Eagles OL was right at the top of the NFL last season in generating yards before contact for their rushers, and Penny was right at the top of the list of rushers generating yards after contact. Putting them together is a recipe for a monster season right up until he gets hurt again. I wouldn't be surprised if he's a top 10 fantasy pick next year despite the injury history.
Unfortunately he wouldn't be the star in Philly. Miles Sanders gets most of the carries there. Plus they have some other backs like Boston Scott, Gainwell, etc. Too bad the Seahawks weren't able to retain him. He and K9 were beginning to become a solid 1-2 punch. It didn't matter who was 1 and 2.

James in PA

Reaction score
I'm not too devastated with this loss. He was fun to watch when healthy, but with him it's not a matter of if he gets hurt, but when.

NoGain

Reaction score
I don't quite get the hurt feelings about Penny. The guy was a disappointment early on because of his work ethic (even he admitted he didn't take his health/training etc... seriously enough early on). And then injury on top of injury on top of injury...the guy can't stay on the field. He's undependable, like CJ Procise. I don't fault him for it, it's just some guys are injury prone, and he's a RB on top of it.

Draft a younger guy with fresh legs at this brutal position.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Unfortunately he wouldn't be the star in Philly. Miles Sanders gets most of the carries there. Plus they have some other backs like Boston Scott, Gainwell, etc. Too bad the Seahawks weren't able to retain him. He and K9 were beginning to become a solid 1-2 punch. It didn't matter who was 1 and 2.
Sanders just signed for the Panthers

samwize77

Reaction score

$1.35M is chump change.

Seattle gets a D grade for letting him walk for so little. Injury history is negligible when you're talking a contract barely above league minimum.
Possibly they already have eyes on a RB they want to try in the draft. But I get where you're coming from.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
5.7 YPC ‘Fish.

If you mention sample size..,you got me 😂
Sample does suck, but.. of the running backs with at least as many career carries as he has, he has the highest career YPC ever.

And the past two years have been above his average YPC.

bluengreen

Reaction score
He will undoubtedly do great for the Eagles the two games that he is healthy. I wish him well.

Boohman14

Reaction score
I hated to see him leave. Last season was shaping up great until he broke is leg. The guy is a threat to score anywhere on the field. I like his chances with Philly. He's tough to bring down or catch once he zips past the line of scrimmage.

I'm hoping for big things from Walker though. He's a bit more elusive which could help him stay on the field all season.

Ozzy

Reaction score

$1.35M is chump change.

Only 600,000 guaranteed right? For that price I’m bringing him back too and giving him 5-8 Carries a game. He’s going to be a monster in that Eagles offense when he’s healthy

GemCity

Reaction score
I hated to see him leave. Last season was shaping up great until he broke is leg. The guy is a threat to score anywhere on the field. I like his chances with Philly. He's tough to bring down or catch once he zips past the line of scrimmage.

I'm hoping for big things from Walker though. He's a bit more elusive which could help him stay on the field all season.
I like Walker for sure. I do think a healthy Penny would still be our starter but.. healthy is something we haven’t gotten a lot from Penny.

We still need that bruiser back though…that 3rd and 2 guy. Not saying Walker can’t shoulder the load but, I see us grabbing a big back.

Even if Penny stays healthy and is a top tier back for Philly, we gave it a try. First round draft pick. Worked through his conditioning issues. Re-signed him to a prove it deal. The Seahawks did what they could..

I’m not sure I’d be surprised to see him tear it up…similarly, I wouldn’t be shocked if he gets injured again. I wish him the best of luck though.

AgentDib

Reaction score
What makes you guys think we could force Penny to re-sign with us? Planning on kidnapping his dog? Loyalty would be nice but he doesn't actually owe us anything and with his injury history I don't blame him for trying to get the best possible situation.
They signed Penny to replace Miles Sanders. Penny is going to be a monster for as long as he stays healthy.