Ravens DC Mike McDonald

ivotuk

Reaction score
Ravens DC Mike Macdonald goes into detail on blitzing tendencies

by Kevin Oestreicher September 30, 2023

The Baltimore Ravens were known as an aggressive blitzing defense under former defensive coordinator Don “Wink” Martindale. However, when Martindale and the Ravens parted ways, they replaced him with former Michigan defensive coordinator Mike Macdonald, who has dialed down the aggressiveness and implemented his new style of defense

Ravens DC Mike Macdonald created a dominant pass rush without an alpha dog
by Doug Farrar and Greg Cosell November 2, 2023

The Baltimore Ravens currently have the NFL’s best defense by DVOA, passing a Cleveland Browns defense that looked downright historic in the first half of the 2023 season.

Second-year coach Mike Macdonald has dialed up fronts and pressures that lead the NFL in sacks with 31, while their blitz rate of 24.9% is middle of the pack.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Mike MacDonald deserves his own thread, separate from the Dan Quinn discussion.

His defense is currently #1 in the NFL. He has learned from both Harbaughs.

Rob Rang and Corbin talk more about his style and approach here at the 26 min mark:

Currently in my top 3 list of candidates.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Mike MacDonald deserves his own thread, separate from the Dan Quinn discussion.

His defense is currently #1 in the NFL. He has learned from both Harbaughs.

View attachment 63614

Rob Rang and Corbin talk more about his style and approach here at the 26 min mark:

Currently in my top 3 list of candidates.

So 9 years with the Ravens and 2 total playoff wins? He will fit right in With the Seahawks.

i kid. But only a little.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Not sure why this thread is over here instead of over there.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
“The Ravens led the league in points allowed per game – they allowed 16. They led the league in sacks – 60. They led the league in takeaways – 31. They’re the first team in NFL history to lead the league in all three categories,” Bumpus shared.

Ozzy

Reaction score
And he did it without an elite Edge guy which makes his job much tougher. He’s the only defensive guy I’d feel good about this cycle. The worry is I’m not sure if he can put together a good staff. His connections are a little limited and Harbaugh if he leaves Michigan is going to take a lot of the people he probably wants.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
FYI - It's Mike Macdonald, not Mike MacDonald. You would capitalize the D if it were Mike McDonald.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Well, comparing a coordinator with a HEAD COACH is quite a stretch if you're looking at wins and losses.
About the same amount of stretch as someone (JayHawkMike) saying a DC has only 2 playoff wins. ;)