Ravens DC Mike McDonald

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
Looks like the job is his at this point
Providing we are his first choice and he ours. Lots of other teams looking for a coach.

He’s my first preference with Lions OC second - would be lucky to get either considering the competition. We shall see

knownone

Reaction score
They haven't even requested to interview him yet...
If I recall correctly, they can't interview him until the Ravens are eliminated. It had to do with some random rule that Seattle missed the cutoff date on.

CactusJack

Reaction score
Belichick is expected to get the Atlanta job.

Johnson is being linked to Washington.

Harbaugh to the Chargers.

That leaves Tennessee, Carolina & us.

David Tepper makes the Carolina job undesirable for just about any candidate out there.

We should be the favorite destination out of those three.

CactusJack

Reaction score
If I recall correctly, they can't interview him until the Ravens are eliminated. It had to do with some random rule that Seattle missed the cutoff date on.
No, they can interview him currently. You just can't officially hire a guy.

knownone

Reaction score
No, they can interview him currently. You just can't officially hire a guy.
No. If you don't schedule an interview before the end of WC weekend, you can't interview him until after the Ravens are eliminated. The rule is pretty explicit.

"If the employer team has a bye in the wild-card round, virtual interviews may begin three days after Week 18 games (Jan. 9 or 10, whichever is applicable) and must happen before the end of wild-card games."

"Teams cannot hold initial interviews with candidates employed by teams participating in the AFC and NFC championship games until the end of the employer team’s season."

In other words, if you didn't schedule your initial interview before the 15th, you can't interview Mccdonald until the Ravens are eliminated.

CactusJack

Reaction score
No. If you don't schedule an interview before the end of WC weekend, you can't interview him until after the Ravens are eliminated. The rule is pretty explicit.

"If the employer team has a bye in the wild-card round, virtual interviews may begin three days after Week 18 games (Jan. 9 or 10, whichever is applicable) and must happen before the end of wild-card games."

"Teams cannot hold initial interviews with candidates employed by teams participating in the AFC and NFC championship games until the end of the employer team’s season."

In other words, if you didn't schedule your initial interview before the 15th, you can't interview Mccdonald until the Ravens are eliminated.
Jesus...What kind of loophole is this!???

Ridiculous.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Staton pointed it out to be fair but the concern with Macdonald is how is he going to put a staff together? He’s only ever worked for the Harbaughs. Once Jim takes a job he’s probably going to take many of the guys Macdonald wants. Baltimore can/will promote guys in order to keep them in Baltimore. I think it’s possible he’s a year away from leaving Baltimore and may end up staying or if he leaves the staff may could potentially be a bad one. Maybe he lets Schneider with his connections build one but who knows if they mesh?

Jac

Reaction score
Staton pointed it out to be fair but the concern with Macdonald is how is he going to put a staff together? He’s only ever worked for the Harbaughs. Once Jim takes a job he’s probably going to take many of the guys Macdonald wants. Baltimore can/will promote guys in order to keep them in Baltimore. I think it’s possible he’s a year away from leaving Baltimore and may end up staying or if he leaves the staff may could potentially be a bad one. Maybe he lets Schneider with his connections build one but who knows if they mesh?
It’s not like former Baltimore DC’s have a stellar record as HC. They’ve had four in the last 20 years or so with mediocre results. It’s just failed to translate for the most part. Pagano had some early success because of Andrew Luck but fielded poor defenses.

James in PA

Reaction score
I saw Staton's video too and he made some good points about maybe pumping the brakes on MacDonald. Let's face it, you can find pros and cons with all these guys. John's got a tough decision to make, but I trust he'll make a good one.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I saw Staton's video too and he made some good points about maybe pumping the brakes on MacDonald. Let's face it, you can find pros and cons with all these guys. John's got a tough decision to make, but I trust he'll make a good one.
Fully agree. If it is Macdonald I’ll be excited as I trust John will make sure it’s all in place

GemCity

Reaction score
And he did it without an elite Edge guy which makes his job much tougher. He’s the only defensive guy I’d feel good about this cycle. The worry is I’m not sure if he can put together a good staff. His connections are a little limited and Harbaugh if he leaves Michigan is going to take a lot of the people he probably wants.
Word for word….this. No DQ please.

If we go defensive minded, MM is the only one I’d want.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Staton? Yeah, very little to nothing he says matters.

Optimus25

Reaction score
I just can’t see this organization taking him over Vrabel. Assuming Mike would want the job.

Vrabel might not be the greatest choice for an exciting high potential pick, but he fits the Seattle mold of almost always having his team ready for slugfests when a contender comes to town. He seems like the type of guy to get the team in order to hammer McVay just to send that message.

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
And he did it without an elite Edge guy which makes his job much tougher. He’s the only defensive guy I’d feel good about this cycle. The worry is I’m not sure if he can put together a good staff. His connections are a little limited and Harbaugh if he leaves Michigan is going to take a lot of the people he probably wants.
I can agree with you on that, however I think the need for worry shouldn't be as high since JS will be hiring the coaching staff and I feel like he has a lot of connections that he'd reach out to that would compliment MM's coaching style and scheme.

Could be doing his due diligence right now talking to multiple DC's that probably don't have any chance of being a HC to gauge multiple avenues.