Ravens DC Mike McDonald

JPatera76

Reaction score
Shitty, as always.

If MacDonald isn't the next HC, I'll be really surprised. Everything is pointing in that direction.
Still gotta remember ultimately it’s Mikes choice, JS could put a contract in front of him and he could say, “imma wait. I want to see what Washington offers”

Do i want it to happen? Hell no. But I understand and won’t be pissed at JS. However the fact it’s been reported that they also brought his family out make me wonder if it’ll be good news today or tomorrow

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
I certainly think that both introverted and extroverted types of leadership can be successful. Look at Bill B vs a guy like D Vermiel. Both successful. Very different styles of leadership.

The thing John has to weigh is whether the team as currently constitued can prosper under a leader with a completey different style AND who hs never been in the position before. Can a guy who is better at 1v1 interaction and reaching a player individually, be equally as effective in capturing the attention and motovation of 53 at a time? Or will a shift to a MacDonlad style of leadership necessitate a tear down of the roster to bring in guys that will work with him, who he feels aligned with.

This is a VERY real consideration for John. Speaking from the experience of being an introverted leader, it can be a challenge to grow the aspect of yourself that shows up effectively in front of 100 people. Its a different muscle that needs to be worked to accomplish that without coming off as detached, out of touch, or even weak. And it requires a lot more attention to take an introverted leadership style and maximize what it does best (creating strong personal connections) in the context of a 53 person 'team'... plus coaches, plus admin staff. For that kind of leader, having a string team to delegate to is paramount. Having guys that 'get him' is critical. Not to say that it cant work, because i myself went from a guy who only ever led a group of 6 to 10, to leading an office of 50, and giving lectures to 100s. It will just take time and the willingness on th epart of ownerhsip and John to grow not just through the xs and os, the administrative duties, etc of running a team, but also through the time it takes for a coach to find his way and his own method of leading.

Extroverted types need growth as well, but usually have the 'gravitas' part down, natively. Doesnt mean they have the tools to lead. Clint Hurtt is an example. He could command a room. He could project 'leader'. But the substance obviously wasnt there.

I think with MacDonald, he seems to have the substance. Its a matter for how he learns to engage and project leadership that will be the X factor.

Mike McDaniel...not an extrovert

CactusJack

Reaction score
Lock him inside the building. Just don't let him out without signing a contract.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Grey and Seattle.
What’s the weather like there today?
Actually, it's unseasonably warm, mid 50's, showers not downpours. Recall that in some recent years we've had cold snaps and 18 inches of snow in February.
Here in Oly it's been flirting with and even hitting 60F. Holy Florida, Batman! So the weather shouldn't scare Macdonald and his family off. It's warmer in Seattle by almost 10F than it is in Baltimore today, just based on daily high temp.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, weather has been really nice all week. Pushing 60. For this time of year, it's def. warm.

Side note, I lived in Olympia/Lacey for years.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I've never doubted you onlyfan69!
Yeah, so I do all the straight man work and you come in with the killer punch line and get all the love!

Hey... how did you know about my OnlyFans channel anyway?? OMG, you're into THAT? Does your wife know about this?

Germanhawk7

Reaction score
I'm telling myself that everything points to MM becoming our HC today, but I can't quite believe it yet.
2 meetings within 24 hours with both sides flying one of the largest distances in the US?

olyfan63

Reaction score
Yeah, weather has been really nice all week. Pushing 60. For this time of year, it's def. warm.

Side note, I lived in Olympia/Lacey for years.
For whatever strange reason, probably related to Puget Sound geography, influence of Mt. Rainier, etc. it's usually 2-3 degrees colder and 2-3 degrees warmer in Olympia than in Seattle, on any given day. Seattle predicted high today 56F, Olympia predicted high 58F.

Aircrew

Reaction score
Still gotta remember ultimately it’s Mikes choice, JS could put a contract in front of him and he could say, “imma wait. I want to see what Washington offers”

Do i want it to happen? Hell no. But I understand and won’t be pissed at JS. However the fact it’s been reported that they also brought his family out make me wonder if it’ll be good news today or tomorrow
Totally agree. I'm leaning into Mac being the new HC for the family angle like you pointed out plus how impressive the VMAC is. A state of the art facility that's also located on Lake Washington, how unique is that? And, not to mention, Seattle (even on a grey day) is light years more appealing than Baltimoreistan.

cymatica

Reaction score
If he's the head coach, I would actually hope Dan Quinn is assistant head coach

beaumaris

Reaction score
Totally agree. I'm leaning into Mac being the new HC for the family angle like you pointed out plus how impressive the VMAC is. A state of the art facility that's also located on Lake Washington, how unique is that? And, not to mention, Seattle (even on a grey day) is light years more appealing than Baltimoreistan.
And only a stones throw away from beautiful British Columbia to boot.;)

rjdriver

Reaction score
Man..

That GB loss really had an effect on Quinn didn't it? Right around the week 13 mark, I would have bet the farm that he would have multiple offers at seasons end. Especially with so many jobs opening up with the "somewhat" surprising openings in Seattle and Tennessee.

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
Yeah, so I do all the straight man work and you come in with the killer punch line and get all the love!

Hey... how did you know about my OnlyFans channel anyway?? OMG, you're into THAT? Does your wife know about this?
I apologize for not spreading the love, it wasn't intentional. It's hard for me to express myself! 😢
I beg your forgiveness!