Rawls and Michael are our 1 2 punch....

xgeoff

Reaction score
DJrmb":120e45j3 said:
kearly":120e45j3 said:
Normally a team would send a RB coach to meet with a RB. Seattle sent Bevell to meet with Ervin... that suggests to me that the Seahawks are pretty serious about the guy.

Williams, Collins and Dixon all ran a ~4.60 forty which likely eliminates them from consideration for Seattle. The 'slowest' RB Seattle has drafted was Christine Michael who ran a 4.54, but Michael also had an unbelievable 1.49 ten yard split at 220 pounds. Turbin ran fast. Lynch ran fast. (Rawls ran poorly, but was nursing a bad hamstring).

So if we assume Seattle is only looking at RB who are explosive burners, that shines a spotlight on a few guys (40 time, 10 yard split):

Keith Marshall: 4.31, 1.53
Tyler Ervin: 4.41, 1.56
Daniel Lasco: 4.46, 1.53
Marshaun Coprich: 4.47, 1.54
Wendell Smallwood: 4.47, 1.56
Josh Ferguson: 4.48, 1.56
CJ Prosise: 4.48, 1.57
DeAndre Washington: 4.49, 1.58

Those are the players who ran a sub 4.50 forty at the combine with a sub 1.60 ten yard split. Most of them are not serious NFL prospects. Of that list, Marshall, Ervin, and Coprich stand out the most. Lasco has awful tape, but his combine was so good that Seattle might go after him in UDFA.

Ervin is projected to go in rounds 4-5. Marshall is projected to go in rounds 5-6. Coprich is projected to go in round 7-UDFA. So not only do they fit Seattle's need for a super athletic RB, but they will likely be available around the time that Seattle would start to consider drafting a RB.

Of this group, Ervin has the highest draft projection, so it probably shouldn't be a shock that Seattle sent their OC to meet with Ervin at his pro-day.

Great post Kearly.

I don't think Henry is high enough on Seattle's list for them to consider him in the 2nd round, and definitely not at 26. Everything up to now really seams to point towards Tyler Ervin being a guy they are really targeting. He's projected to be a 4th or 5th round pick but I'm thinking this could be a guy they can't leave the draft without, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them reach for Ervin in the 3rd.
I wouldn't mind seeing Ervin or Henry in a Seahawk uniform. Like what I see from both of those guys.

OP
OP
UK_Seahawk

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
A Rawls and Henry combo takes the pressure off each other to be Beast's replacement. The more I think about it the more convinced I am.

DJrmb

Reaction score
xgeoff":2jkbpcxg said:
DJrmb":2jkbpcxg said:
kearly":2jkbpcxg said:
Normally a team would send a RB coach to meet with a RB. Seattle sent Bevell to meet with Ervin... that suggests to me that the Seahawks are pretty serious about the guy.

Williams, Collins and Dixon all ran a ~4.60 forty which likely eliminates them from consideration for Seattle. The 'slowest' RB Seattle has drafted was Christine Michael who ran a 4.54, but Michael also had an unbelievable 1.49 ten yard split at 220 pounds. Turbin ran fast. Lynch ran fast. (Rawls ran poorly, but was nursing a bad hamstring).

So if we assume Seattle is only looking at RB who are explosive burners, that shines a spotlight on a few guys (40 time, 10 yard split):

Those are the players who ran a sub 4.50 forty at the combine with a sub 1.60 ten yard split. Most of them are not serious NFL prospects. Of that list, Marshall, Ervin, and Coprich stand out the most. Lasco has awful tape, but his combine was so good that Seattle might go after him in UDFA.

Ervin is projected to go in rounds 4-5. Marshall is projected to go in rounds 5-6. Coprich is projected to go in round 7-UDFA. So not only do they fit Seattle's need for a super athletic RB, but they will likely be available around the time that Seattle would start to consider drafting a RB.

Of this group, Ervin has the highest draft projection, so it probably shouldn't be a shock that Seattle sent their OC to meet with Ervin at his pro-day.

Great post Kearly.

I don't think Henry is high enough on Seattle's list for them to consider him in the 2nd round, and definitely not at 26. Everything up to now really seams to point towards Tyler Ervin being a guy they are really targeting. He's projected to be a 4th or 5th round pick but I'm thinking this could be a guy they can't leave the draft without, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them reach for Ervin in the 3rd.
I wouldn't mind seeing Ervin or Henry in a Seahawk uniform. Like what I see from both of those guys.

I guess I'm just not a Henry guy. I don't see the love affair with him. He's a great athlete that performed great at the combine but there have been lots of workout warrior busts. It's hard to gauge Alabama backs because that line and all the talent they have makes anyone look good. Henry does a bunch of stuff good but he doesn't seem to do any one thing special, or at an elite level. He's not a burner or someone that will kill you with speed. He's not great at breaking tackles or making yards out of nothing. He's not an elite route runner or pass catcher. If you're looking for a guy to add to a 1,2 combo you want a guy that has an elite trait that you can exploit, a special play-making ability that "tilts the field" as John and Pete put it. Henry will be just a guy in the NFL if he sticks at RB in my opinion.

Of the latest group (Richardson, Lacy, Ingram, and Yeldon) only Lacy has really come close to 'maybe' being worth where he was picked, and that's in question after losing playing time to James Starks last season. People have been high on all the Alabama RB's coming out recently and none of them seem to be worth much more than a 4th round pick. I expect Henry to follow suite.

OP
OP
UK_Seahawk

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Does Shaun Alexander reaching out and talking to Henry help or hinder us?

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":1wbjfuqk said:
Does Shaun Alexander reaching out and talking to Henry help or hinder us?
What does this even mean?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":o2sax8s3 said:
This was a direct quote from Pete Carroll on NFL network. We are drafting someone high aren't we? Henry at 26 in all probability.

Considering he's going to be a massive flop in the pros .. I sincerely hope not.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
kearly":2tx5g8fy said:

I would do cartwheels if we land Keith Marshall. He's a diamond in the rough talent that's been buried behind Todd Gurley and Nick Chubb his whole career. Ervin is solid as well, I just think Marshall is a much better talent as a whole.

If Trent Richardson, Mark Ingram, Eddie Lacy and Derrick Henry all entered the draft this year.. Henry would be the last one drafted every single time. And this guy is worth the 26th overall pick now? No. Thank. You.

McGruff

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1ondp402 said:
kearly":1ondp402 said:

I would do cartwheels if we land Keith Marshall. He's a diamond in the rough talent that's been buried behind Todd Gurley and Nick Chubb his whole career. Ervin is solid as well, I just think Marshall is a much better talent as a whole.

If Trent Richardson, Mark Ingram, Eddie Lacy and Derrick Henry all entered the draft this year.. Henry would be the last one drafted every single time. And this guy is worth the 26th overall pick now? No. Thank. You.

I disagree without reservation whatsoever on that last statement. Derrick Henry is BY FAR the most athletic running back to come out of Alabama. Its not even close. He's also the most prolific running back to come out of Alabama, holding school records in career yards, career TD's, single season yards, single season TD's and 2 of the top 5 games in Alabama history.

There isn't a single scoutable marker where Henry doesn't come out on top.

Henry has flaws. He runs very upright, which is a common flaw for taller running backs. You know who also had an upright running style? Steven Jackson. Eric Dickerson. Shaun Alexander. He's not very agile, but neither were a lot of bigger backs like Eddie George or Jerome Bettis. I do wish he was a little tougher for his size. He doesn't have Marshawn's base, so finger tip tackles bring him down too often.

But he has a lot of elite skills going for him. He has sudden burst and deceptive long speed that destroys angles. He has the best second level vision I've seen at the position since Shaun Alexander. He has a subtle shiftiness that is so smooth you barely notice it until a defender is lying on his face. And he runs harder and stronger than he gets credit for. In a pile it takes the pile to bring him down, and he will bowl over a head up tackler.

Henry gets knocked primarily for two things that he cannot control. Alabama running back failures in the NFL, and playing behind a great line. But that's kinda like saying Wilson sucks as a QB because he plays in Seattle with a great running game and defense. Does Alabama's line help? Sure. Does it negate his considerable skill? It shouldn't, but in many people's eyes it does.

I know others disagree, but I think Henry in a spread NFL system like our would be incredible.

hardtack

Reaction score
Greetings all... new guy here

I like the idea of drafting Tyler Ervin, maybe with our late 3rd. What do you think about also going after Devon 'Rockhead' Johnson 6-1 243 out of Marshall with a late pick?

cheese22

Reaction score
He was previously a TE so he brings some versatility. I didn't see why he moved but you'd think he has some receiving skills.

OP
OP
UK_Seahawk

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
NFL.com reporting we have / are meeting with Henry. Not sure if this means it's more or less likely now.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
McGruff":3u9b4e4q said:
Henry has flaws. He runs very upright, which is a common flaw for taller running backs. You know who also had an upright running style? Steven Jackson. Eric Dickerson. Shaun Alexander. He's not very agile, but neither were a lot of bigger backs like Eddie George or Jerome Bettis. I do wish he was a little tougher for his size. He doesn't have Marshawn's base, so finger tip tackles bring him down too often.

Steven Jackson couldn't be more different than Derrick Henry. Jackson went looking for contact, Henry shies away from it. Eric Dickerson is an even bigger stretch of a comparison. Shaun Alexander mirrors Henry a lot more than the other guys you mentioned.. much like Henry, Shaun never liked getting hit.. and he sure didn't try to hide that. I look at our OL right now, and Henry would die behind our line. He had 396 carries last season and still was 86th in broken tackle rating. The man breaks tackles as well as pehawk would.

But he has a lot of elite skills going for him. He has sudden burst and deceptive long speed that destroys angles. He has the best second level vision I've seen at the position since Shaun Alexander. He has a subtle shiftiness that is so smooth you barely notice it until a defender is lying on his face. And he runs harder and stronger than he gets credit for. In a pile it takes the pile to bring him down, and he will bowl over a head up tackler.

Disagree 100%. I see nothing elite about this guy. Maybe if he got 40+ touches a game he could be something. And again, as mentioned previously.. he doesn't bowl anyone over. He's the most finesse 396 carry back you could ever dream up. If we had the Cowboys offensive line, sure .. Henry would be interesting. But with the makeup of our line right now and what it figures to be post draft.. Henry would be an unspeakably bad pick IMO.

Henry gets knocked primarily for two things that he cannot control. Alabama running back failures in the NFL, and playing behind a great line. But that's kinda like saying Wilson sucks as a QB because he plays in Seattle with a great running game and defense. Does Alabama's line help? Sure. Does it negate his considerable skill? It shouldn't, but in many people's eyes it does.

I know others disagree, but I think Henry in a spread NFL system like our would be incredible.

I can agree that the failures of Alabama backs before him shouldn't be a major flag against him, but the Bama system churns these backs out for a reason. They are able to put together offensive lines that no other program in college football is able to produce year in and year out. So while I don't necessarily think that means because Trent Richardson was an enormous bust that means Derrick Henry will be too - I think you still have to consider where he played college football.

The fact is.. while he had a tremendous year, he needed 396 carries to do so. So not only are you already drafting someone with a LOT more wear and tear on his body, at a position we've proven you do not need a high pick at to get success (and if anything, our high pick at the position was narrowingly close to already being out of the league) .. you would do so with an offensive line in shambles and you would do so - you would figure anyway - in the top 60 picks of the draft. That price is way too high for someone like Derrick Henry. WAY too high.

Sorry but I think Henry would be one of the absolute worst picks this team could make.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Ok, ok, we all get it, Derrick Henry put up some pretty crazy numbers in shorts at a workout that he prepared for over 2 months. That doesn't mean he's a good football player...

Why don't we take a look at another guy that hyped his way through the combine to a high pick? Can you figure out who this player is???

Height - Henry: 6'3", AC: 6'2"

Weight - Henry: 247, AC: 254

40 time - Henry: 4.54, AC: 4.56

Bench - Henry: 22, AC: 25

Vertical - Henry: 37", AC: 37"

3 cone: - Henry: 7.20, AC 7.15

Have you guessed who the workout warrior is yet? It's every Seahawks favorite #4 overall pick Aaron Curry. :sarcasm_off:

I have to agree with Hasselbeck completely on his points. Derrick Henry shows absolutely Zero Elite attributes. He's a guy that does a lot of things good to average, and someone who benefited from playing on a national championship team stocked with talent all around him. Sure he's really athletic for his size but he doesn't use a lot of that on the field. Maybe some of those things can be coached up but his biggest weakness is his toughness and physicality and that's a mentality. A guy his size with the gluttony of carries he got, running behind a top notch offensive line, should have been more productive.

OP
OP
UK_Seahawk

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
DJrmb":1l0uk2ns said:
Ok, ok, we all get it, Derrick Henry put up some pretty crazy numbers in shorts at a workout that he prepared for over 2 months. That doesn't mean he's a good football player...

Why don't we take a look at another guy that hyped his way through the combine to a high pick? Can you figure out who this player is???

Height - Henry: 6'3", AC: 6'2"

Weight - Henry: 247, AC: 254

40 time - Henry: 4.54, AC: 4.56

Bench - Henry: 22, AC: 25

Vertical - Henry: 37", AC: 37"

3 cone: - Henry: 7.20, AC 7.15

Have you guessed who the workout warrior is yet? It's every Seahawks favorite #4 overall pick Aaron Curry. :sarcasm_off:

I have to agree with Hasselbeck completely on his points. Derrick Henry shows absolutely Zero Elite attributes. He's a guy that does a lot of things good to average, and someone who benefited from playing on a national championship team stocked with talent all around him. Sure he's really athletic for his size but he doesn't use a lot of that on the field. Maybe some of those things can be coached up but his biggest weakness is his toughness and physicality and that's a mentality. A guy his size with the gluttony of carries he got, running behind a top notch offensive line, should have been more productive.
Is this where I post Von Miller's stats and then weep at not comparing apples with apples.

chris98251

Reaction score
Although if we got him sales of Skittles would drop and sales of these may go up, buy stock!

1424 1

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
I like keith marshall in the 4th, if he is still there. He has some power to go with his blazing 40 speed.