Ray Rice Video - punching his gf

kearly

Reaction score
Didn't see this posted yet. Ray Rice's wife expressed her feelings on instagram. A warning, they may not be received well in some quarters.

"I woke up this morning feeling like I had a horrible nightmare, feeling like I'm mourning the death of my closest friend. But to have to accept the fact that it's reality is a nightmare in itself.

No one knows the pain that the media & unwanted [opinions] from the public has caused my family. To make us relive a moment in our lives that we regret every day is a horrible thing. To take something away from the man I love that he has worked his ass of for all his life just to gain ratings is horrific.

THIS IS OUR LIFE! What don't you all get. If your intentions were to hurt us, embarrass us, make us feel alone, take all happiness away, you've succeeded on so many levels. Just know we will continue to grow & show the world what real love is! Ravensnation we love you!"

kearly

Reaction score
HawkAroundTheClock":2hrpfvtf said:
Exactly. And the point is, what actually happens often differs greatly from the story of the mainstream media and those who have a vested (read: monetary) interest. The confusion in this NFL-Ravens-Rice scenario is a perfect example.

We are seeing traditional power structures challenged by video evidence and everyday people sharing information. Traditional power holders are running scared – in various cases, either trying to deny video evidence exists or going to great lengths to deny its admissibility.

The impact of Twitter today mirrors what TV was in the mid 1950s. The civil rights movement in Tennessee and Alabama did not have national support until images of people being berated with firehoses and bitten by dogs were sent out to the world.

Then in the '60s, televised images of what was actually going on in Vietnam were shown to everyday people. The pictures varied greatly from the official reports. People became outraged. They demanded change. Since then, traditional power structures have taken over TV. Fake reality brings in more advertising dollars than bloody, corrupt reality.

Twitter allows for transfer of information from person-to-person and person-to-world, while sidestepping the filtration process of government and corporate interests. Tweets still warrant fact-checking but the impact is that citizens, who otherwise would not know the severity of unsettling events, can suddenly realize the seriousness of the issue and the need for change. Seeing Ray Rice knock out his fiancee is much more meaningful than all the sound bites and blurbs from Ravens officials or Roger Goodell's office, both of whom skewed the story to maximize their benefit.

Our world is in flux. The immediacy and breadth of access to information means that anyone can be a citizen journalist. We're still new at this. Anyone can shed light on events of the world, especially the evils, which seek to exist in darkness.

This is why net neutrality is a HUGE issue right now. Control of information is at our fingertips, and the bigwigs want to keep it at arms' length. The same way the NFL would rather you not see Ray Rice beat a woman unconscious.

I think you do an excellent job here of capturing the mindset. It's the details I disagree with.

A realization came upon me in the last few days. This new twitter-activist culture is a strange brew. It's highly progressive in nature, but paradoxically it is emotionally reactionary and anti-intellectual (shouting down debate, etc). In way, it almost feels like the left-wing version of the tea party. Combustible anger. Demands for change. Conspiracy theories. Freaking out about relatively minor things that are facts of life (in contrast to far larger issues in the '60s like Vietnam, Segregation, etc).

I agree with the goals of the movement, but I always look at both sides of the coin, which has made me a target on pretty much every issue as of late. Any movement that fails to look at both sides and reacts out of emotion is a flawed process, and will often produce unintended consequences.

RationalNiner

Reaction score
Olbermann is a blowhard.

Ray Lewis is involved in murder and he is NFL royalty. Ray Rice gets into it with his wife (which is way more common than you think) and he is the devil.

What's the difference? Ray helped get a man killed. Men are expendable. Not a big deal Ray Lewis, you're still NFL royalty. Ray Rice punches a woman, he is hitler because hitting a woman is so much worse than killing a man.

*edit*

In fact, there is more outrage over this than the Aaron Hernandez killings. You had girls calling Aaron sexy after the murders came out.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
RationalNiner":3sfze82p said:
Olbermann is a blowhard.

Ray Lewis is involved in murder and he is NFL royalty. Ray Rice gets into it with his wife (which is way more common than you think) and he is the devil.

What's the difference? Ray helped get a man killed. Men are expendable. Not a big deal Ray Lewis, you're still NFL royalty. Ray Rice punches a woman, he is hitler because hitting a woman is so much worse than killing a man.
Ray witnessed a crime, then concealed evidence. A big damn difference between that and helping kill a guy.

Neither Ray is defensible, but there is no need to misconstrue facts.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
kearly":14jdhk7c said:
HawkAroundTheClock":14jdhk7c said:
Exactly. And the point is, what actually happens often differs greatly from the story of the mainstream media and those who have a vested (read: monetary) interest. The confusion in this NFL-Ravens-Rice scenario is a perfect example.

We are seeing traditional power structures challenged by video evidence and everyday people sharing information. Traditional power holders are running scared – in various cases, either trying to deny video evidence exists or going to great lengths to deny its admissibility.

The impact of Twitter today mirrors what TV was in the mid 1950s. The civil rights movement in Tennessee and Alabama did not have national support until images of people being berated with firehoses and bitten by dogs were sent out to the world.

Then in the '60s, televised images of what was actually going on in Vietnam were shown to everyday people. The pictures varied greatly from the official reports. People became outraged. They demanded change. Since then, traditional power structures have taken over TV. Fake reality brings in more advertising dollars than bloody, corrupt reality.

Twitter allows for transfer of information from person-to-person and person-to-world, while sidestepping the filtration process of government and corporate interests. Tweets still warrant fact-checking but the impact is that citizens, who otherwise would not know the severity of unsettling events, can suddenly realize the seriousness of the issue and the need for change. Seeing Ray Rice knock out his fiancee is much more meaningful than all the sound bites and blurbs from Ravens officials or Roger Goodell's office, both of whom skewed the story to maximize their benefit.

Our world is in flux. The immediacy and breadth of access to information means that anyone can be a citizen journalist. We're still new at this. Anyone can shed light on events of the world, especially the evils, which seek to exist in darkness.

This is why net neutrality is a HUGE issue right now. Control of information is at our fingertips, and the bigwigs want to keep it at arms' length. The same way the NFL would rather you not see Ray Rice beat a woman unconscious.

I think you do an excellent job here of capturing the mindset. It's the details I disagree with.

A realization came upon me in the last few days. This new twitter-activist culture is a strange brew. It's highly progressive in nature, but paradoxically it is emotionally reactionary and anti-intellectual (shouting down debate, etc). In way, it almost feels like the left-wing version of the tea party. Combustible anger. Demands for change. Conspiracy theories. Freaking out about relatively minor things that are facts of life (in contrast to far larger issues in the '60s like Vietnam, Segregation, etc).

I agree with the goals of the movement, but I always look at both sides of the coin, which has made me a target on pretty much every issue as of late. Any movement that fails to look at both sides and reacts out of emotion is a flawed process, and will often produce unintended consequences.

This.

It's one of the things I greatly dis-like about the twitter rampage that came from the Ray Rice incident and Donald Sterling incident. Those who champion the punishment that came down on Rice will quickly disregard that they have essentially destroyed a human being's life (and the lives of his dependents) by lighting a fire under the NFL. Ray Rice will never play for another team and no broadcast agency is going to pick him up because of how poorly he is received by the public. And most people don't care, because they've looked at one incident, made an emotional decision and will refuse to even acknowledge that some bad has come out of the social backlash.

Let me state this as well, what Ray Rice did was wrong on every moral and ethical level. When I imagine my younger sisters in a similar situation it enrages me. But the whole point of justice is to be impartial. To give a proper punishment to the crime. The NFL just set a new policy that sets an unbiased punishment for this crime and instead decided to go above and beyond that to save face in the public. Is that justice? To some yes, but do you think it's a fair punishment to have your life destroyed for one mistake? Do you think the Ravens or NFL were motivated by anything other than self gain to end this publicity nightmare?

My primary issue with the whole Ray Rice thing was how he got off scott free in the judicial system. That's flat wrong. But I think the indefinite suspension made Rice a scapegoat for the poor decisions made by the Ravens organization and NFL when the first suspension was laid down. Which I think is wrong as well.

Also, Kearly, you may not have meant all that I said, I kind of took your "emotional" twitter premise and applied it to this specific situation. I know you may not agree with everything I've said here.

kearly

Reaction score
The only part I disagree with is the last sentence.

RationalNiner

Reaction score
Scottemojo":on1hbncy said:
RationalNiner":on1hbncy said:
Olbermann is a blowhard.

Ray witnessed a crime, then concealed evidence. A big damn difference between that and helping kill a guy.

Neither Ray is defensible, but there is no need to misconstrue facts.

By helping kill a man, I meant trying to help the killer get away. What Ray Lewis did is worse.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":3h7xjji3 said:
RolandDeschain":3h7xjji3 said:
Nike just terminated their endorsement deal with Rice. *snicker*

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11494 ... p-ray-rice

Hey Roland,

With all this Rice fall-out searching you're doing you have been ignoring your Spelling Nazi duties here.

Let's get prioritized, and back to work, huh?

Thanks,

The management.
If it's going to be a duty that I'm required to perform, then I want a blue-colored name and a salary. Otherwise...Just imagine a long string of expletives here. :D

OP
OP
Laloosh

Laloosh

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3c27z70l said:
HoustonHawk82":3c27z70l said:
RolandDeschain":3c27z70l said:
Nike just terminated their endorsement deal with Rice. *snicker*

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11494 ... p-ray-rice

Hey Roland,

With all this Rice fall-out searching you're doing you have been ignoring your Spelling Nazi duties here.

Let's get prioritized, and back to work, huh?

Thanks,

The management.
If it's going to be a duty that I'm required to perform, then I want a blue-colored name and a salary. Otherwise...Just imagine a long string of expletives here. :D

Go home, Sac... you're drunk.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines

exhilo

Reaction score
I'm already tired over this issue. Let the courts handle this, the NFL should of suspended him in accordance with their policy. The incredulous moral outrage by the media is laughable. Why isn't the media downtown at the battered women's shelter. Start an Ice bucket challenge already.

A

Anonymous

ivotuk":not6m28h said:
I think Roger is going to have top fall on his sword. Ozzie Newsome and John Harbaugh should do the same.

I wonder if there will be video of that?

DTexHawk

Reaction score
Yxes1122":w0syqx45 said:
To some yes, but do you think it's a fair punishment to have your life destroyed for one mistake? .

And by having his life destroyed, you mean losing a high paying job? Cause that happens all the time to people at all economic levels and it hurts having to start over at the bottom.

Perhaps he can get a warehouse job, drive a truck, or go back to school and get a meaningful degree and do something other than football.

Perhaps he can be true and loving to his wife, have a family, and raise his children to be better than he was.

I think he's very fortunate he won't spend a day in prison.

huskylawyer

Reaction score
First, let me qualify my statements by saying I'm not a criminal lawyer, so I'm no expert. But with that said, regarding the prosecutors, people are over-reacting and trying to blame the prosecutor. if you want to blame someone, blame "the system."

Domestic dispute cases are regularly pled down, even with damning evidence. Do any of you know any cops? Talk to a beat cop and they'll tell you that they deal with domestic disputes on a daily basis. If you put everyone in jail for extended periods of time for domestic abuse, a big portion of this country would be behind bars, because that is how prevalent domestic abuse is (or even run of the mill physical arguments between couples). Court systems would be flooded, and jails would be overflowing even more than they are now.

Its like DUIs. Do you know why DUI related offenses (e.g., killing someone while driving drunk) are relatively punished lightly (e.g., Stallworth, Little). Because nearly every adult male has gotten behind the wheel after a few drinks, including judges, CEOs, lawyers, politicians, etc. If we had super heavy DUI offense penalties, again, a lot of folks would be behind bars. Policy and priorities play a large part in criminalizing certain conduct, penalties, etc. This is a male dominated culture, and thus the reason in part that domestic violence isn't aggressively pursued (and DUI related offenses). I'm not saying it is right or wrong. "It is what it is."

Though a different situation, look at Jim Irsay. This guy has a bunch of oxy in his car, $40K in cash, and he gets a slap on the wrist. If that is some inner city kid, or some tweaker from rural Washington, they'll probably throw the book at him (e.g., possession with intent to distribute). So money plays a part as well obviously, and then add race to equation and the system looks REALLY BAD.

Just my 2 cents..

EDIT: Regarding the video, I saw Rodney King get the crap knocked out of him, on video, and those cops got off on the first trial. So video evidence isn't the end all be all....

bmorepunk

Reaction score
I will say that I have never had a few drinks and driven, so not every male does this. But it is way too common and disconcerting.

seedhawk

Reaction score
So Rice is a total jackweed because he lost it, and smacked his almost wife in an elevator with a camera. All you hypocritical dimwits jump on the wagon. Hang the sucker, and hang good ole Rog also. Well, to all of you, how about the neighbor lady 3 doors down you don't see for 3 or 4 days, and when you do, she is wearing oversize dark glasses? Any of you take the time to go over and ask questions? How about the lady you see on an 85 degree day, wearing a turtleneck sweater with long sleeves entering Wallyworld? Any of you ever question why?

Nope, you just look the other direction and go on you're merry way. Take action! Good ole Fred from down the street may be a great guy to BBQ with, but he also whacks his wife and kids when no one is looking. START LOOKING!

Rant Over

Yxes1122

Reaction score
DTexHawk":uwykja69 said:
Yxes1122":uwykja69 said:
To some yes, but do you think it's a fair punishment to have your life destroyed for one mistake? .

And by having his life destroyed, you mean losing a high paying job? Cause that happens all the time to people at all economic levels and it hurts having to start over at the bottom.

Perhaps he can get a warehouse job, drive a truck, or go back to school and get a meaningful degree and do something other than football.

Perhaps he can be true and loving to his wife, have a family, and raise his children to be better than he was.

I think he's very fortunate he won't spend a day in prison.

You're right, people lose their jobs everyday and it's not fair. But most people don't lose their job because the public gets highly emotional and begins to put pressure on the employer. These people also don't typically go from being a millionaire to unemployed this quickly either. And most people have experience working at a mainstream job which makes it easier for them to transition to the next job. And most people live a lifestyle that can be supported by unemployment checks for at least a few months following them being let go. You really think Rice is going to be able to support his expenses for very long now? And most people who lose their job aren't prevented from getting an new one in their industry for an indefinite amount of time.

Do you really think Rice was prepared to be unemployed? Most NFL players aren't ready by the time they retire let alone released and indefinitely suspended. I also doubt Rice has the degree and relative experience a normal 27 year old has. I'd also venture to believe that most regular companies simply wouldn't hire Rice because of the clear media headache that it would cause. No one wants an office distraction. So he goes to making something close to minimum wage. I've known people who've lived on minimum wage and it's incredibly difficult. It's almost insurmountably hard to do that while raising a family.

And Rice isn't the only one whose life will be affected drastically by this. Both his wife and his daughter Rayven Rice are going to see their standard of living drop significantly. Any possibility of her having a good college fund has dropped to near impossible (I don't know if Rice had a college fund or not, but it's not uncommon for parents to set up a fund. And even if he didn't, before the public outcry Rice could've supported her much much better than he ever will now.)

As far as prison goes, I would agree with you. I said in my post that that bothered me the most. But I stand by my statement. Any plans Rice and his family had for their future has been shattered by one mistake. A grievous and appalling mistake no doubt, but one that thousands of people make each year. And of those thousands most don't see the kind of punishment that Rice has seen. Rice will by lucky to ever provide for his family to a fraction of the extent he could before this. He'll probably be lucky if he even has a stable family in a few years. Sounds like his life has been pretty destroyed to me. And I would say the public, the media, and the poor decision making of the Ravens and the NFL contributed more to that than the action itself.

Cartire

Reaction score
seedhawk":245hb2u5 said:
So Rice is a total jackweed because he lost it, and smacked his almost wife in an elevator with a camera. All you hypocritical dimwits jump on the wagon. Hang the sucker, and hang good ole Rog also. Well, to all of you, how about the neighbor lady 3 doors down you don't see for 3 or 4 days, and when you do, she is wearing oversize dark glasses? Any of you take the time to go over and ask questions? How about the lady you see on an 85 degree day, wearing a turtleneck sweater with long sleeves entering Wallyworld? Any of you ever question why?

Nope, you just look the other direction and go on you're merry way. Take action! Good ole Fred from down the street may be a great guy to BBQ with, but he also whacks his wife and kids when no one is looking. START LOOKING!

Rant Over

Well, if all your neighbors are banged up, why don't you do something about it? Apparently it's so common for you that you're disgusted by others for ragging on this guy. I don't get it.

I know DV is prevalent, but I don't think its as bad where every neighbor 3 doors down is wearing big shades.

Latest posts