RB Eddie Lacy visits (UPDATE: Signed 1 year deal w/ Hawks)

Uncle Si

Reaction score
PackerNation":1mn5qrmk said:
I am not sure what to tell you about Eddie Lacy, but I'll try to give you the view from Packer fan who watched every carry and reception and down he played while he was a Packer.

Eddie can break tackles, he can run hard, he can (at times) play with motivation. He will get you yardage and if used properly, can be a big contribution to your offense.

Eddie doesn't hit the holes well and doesn't seem to have a good nose for the game. He doesn't have the football smarts you would expect. He jukes a lot when he should be using his weight and speed to get past tacklers. He doesn't seem to like football or have that killer instinct that really good footballers have. What makes Wilson great is not just his natural ability but how hard he works to maximize it. You will not get that with Eddie.

I got the feeling Eddie did not like Green Bay. Not so much the region but the coaches and the offensive philosophy we employ. I also don't think he liked the negative attention he got from McCarthy. Benching him when he made mistake, fining him and holding him out when he missed curfew, harping on his eating habits.... Eddie seems to lack maturity and doesn't like to be told what to do. Just my opinion. I had really high hopes for Eddie in Green Bay but was left disappointed. Sort of like the hot chick that just sucks in bed.

A change of scenery might be just what he needs and he could do very well for Seattle. He might have a real fire in his gut now. Good luck, I'll be tuning in to see how he does.

Thanks for popping in PN. Good to get an assessment from the other side.

CalgaryHawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":ixunef5p said:
I've been listening to yesterday's John Clayton interview with Pete Carroll. The more I hear it, the clearer it becomes to me, that CJ Prosise was never to be a featured back or every down back here. Pete doesn't seem him as the guy that can carry the load is impression I get. Pete said the strategy is Lacy-Rawls being the 1-2 punch. This means that Collins and Pope are likely outside looking in.

The Hawks cycled through close to ten running backs on their active roster last year. They know how frequently injuries occur to running backs not named Marshawn and how important a running game is to their offence. So, barring some rookie beating him out in training camp, my opinion is that Collins is looking safe right now as the 4th running back on the roster. And I wouldn't be shocked if they even kept 5 running backs on the roster next year and skipped keeping a fullback.

Seymour

Reaction score
PackerNation":18roepk7 said:
I am not sure what to tell you about Eddie Lacy, but I'll try to give you the view from Packer fan who watched every carry and reception and down he played while he was a Packer.

Eddie can break tackles, he can run hard, he can (at times) play with motivation. He will get you yardage and if used properly, can be a big contribution to your offense.

Eddie doesn't hit the holes well and doesn't seem to have a good nose for the game. He doesn't have the football smarts you would expect. He jukes a lot when he should be using his weight and speed to get past tacklers. He doesn't seem to like football or have that killer instinct that really good footballers have. What makes Wilson great is not just his natural ability but how hard he works to maximize it. You will not get that with Eddie.

I got the feeling Eddie did not like Green Bay. Not so much the region but the coaches and the offensive philosophy we employ. I also don't think he liked the negative attention he got from McCarthy. Benching him when he made mistake, fining him and holding him out when he missed curfew, harping on his eating habits.... Eddie seems to lack maturity and doesn't like to be told what to do. Just my opinion. I had really high hopes for Eddie in Green Bay but was left disappointed. Sort of like the hot chick that just sucks in bed.

A change of scenery might be just what he needs and he could do very well for Seattle. He might have a real fire in his gut now. Good luck, I'll be tuning in to see how he does.

Well if he doesn't like being told what to do, he came to the right place.

That said, if he is indeed slow to hit the hole here, he is screwed. With this oline we saw what happened to Lynch when he slowed just a bit, then Rawls came in hitting the hole fast and hard and racked up a bunch of yards averaging 5.6 per carry in 2015. Those small holes of 2015 all but vanished in 2016, but we now have Joeckel to help open them back up according to Pete. :179422:

bigskydoc

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/jasonlacanfora/status/842012630827057152[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/jasonlacanfora/status/842012786624483331[/tweet]

So he clearly has big incentive to get and stay healthy. The epitome of a prove it deal.

We could cut him before the season at a cost of only $1.5 million 2.865 million.

Since Lynch joined the team, there have only been two backs that I wanted to draft, Lacy and Gurley. I'm happy to see Lacy here. I'm of the opinion that he needs a positive motivational coach and team to excel. I don't see that kind of attitude from McCarthy and Rodgers. I suspect Lacy was treated with primarily a lot of criticism at GB.

Hoping Pete and Russell's positivity provide the spark he needs to rediscover his love for the game. I think he lost it in GB.

Tical21

Reaction score
Scared that one of the most important times in the dude's life, he showed up for meetings at 267. Russell needs to work his magic.

Seymour

Reaction score
Tical21":3ozkdckv said:
Scared that one of the most important times in the dude's life, he showed up for meetings at 267. Russell needs to work his magic.

You mean invite him over for Mac - n- Cheese night? :2thumbs:

nash72

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1xklfqqy said:
I fail to see how a 240-245 lb running back with slow speed will be impactful in this offense with this offensive line. Remember what Alex Collins looked like at the start of the year? That's Lacy.

This is scaring me too now that I think about it. No matter how big a guy he is, if your running into a brick wall every play, the wall is going to win. At least he might be able to break a tackle to get back to the line of scrimmage though. People bringing up the 5 yrd per carry scenario are dreaming.

Another thing that bothered me today is that the FO could have used the money for Lacey to sweeten the pot for Lang. Instead, we'll go into next season with the NFL's worst line yet again.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Lacy didn't cost us Lang. We have the money available to match or beat Detroit's offer with or without signing Lacy.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
PackerNation":3hoqn983 said:
Eddie can break tackles, he can run hard, he can (at times) play with motivation.

This is the vibe I got from that fan base as well. Talented and toolsy, but can't consistently play with any kind of fire.

It wouldn't surprise me either to find him starting or benched by October behind Thomas Rawls, who has that fire. At least the Seahawks covered their butts in the deal - but it doesn't bode well for their opinion of Lacy that they felt the need to load the deal with that many incentives. Seemed like they just REALLY wanted another back.

I'm assuming this means CJ Prosise is moving more towards a hybrid WR role.

chris98251

Reaction score
Broken Ankle and a big boy anyway, not running and doing Cardio I am sure, may have some work habits that need refined, someone in our organization will get with him I am sure and start him going the right direction, the players are about pushing each other also, Doug, Jermaine, Russell will be examples and will extend themselves I will venture to say, they all know what we need in the running game to excel in the passing game.

I am sure Cable is going to try to get a Beast and football face on him also, laying guys out versus getting laid out mentality, this is also where I think Reese would be golden in his ability to mentor work with Lacy, god I hope they sign him back.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
I am hoping that Russ and Eddie start a weight loss program together. :stirthepot:

chris98251

Reaction score
This goes back to leg injuries, Russell knee and ankle, Lacy Ankle, I hope we see a 10 or 15 pound lighter Wilson, he looked slower and just looking at his face he has weight on, no defined jaw line etc.

penihawk

Reaction score
He is a high risk/high reward player on a low risk prove it deal. What's not to like? If he gets hurt or eats his way out of town it's no biggie and if he gets in shape and stays healthy then it's a home run.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
bigskydoc":1ub0r6oi said:
Lacy didn't cost us Lang. We have the money available to match or beat Detroit's offer with or without signing Lacy.

Yes, but this does not step those fretting over the loss of Lang to continue to find ways to beat the FO and PC over the head about it.

The Hawks clearly identified the need for Olinemen and an RB (maybe two). Pretty sure they have a plan and backups on how to get what they want.

Could mean they spend a higher draft pick on oline, or are waiting on someone else. Maybe they see Lacy as a short yardage back and still have plans to draft another or sign another vet.

Alot to be seen still

dbmack

Reaction score
jake206":w973zyji said:
Big backs have shorter life span in NFL. More pounding and wear on the knees. Also in zone read he has to reach the hole to make any cuts... slow and big is not going to be productive. Put him on Adkins or low carb or something. He's got to gain quickness like a lot of it.
It's Atkins not Adkins. No one else cares I'm sure, but as a follower of Atkins since 2003 it always irritates me to see it spelled wrong.

Seymour

Reaction score
chris98251":qtwrf0cc said:
Broken Ankle and a big boy anyway, not running and doing Cardio I am sure, may have some work habits that need refined, someone in our organization will get with him I am sure and start him going the right direction, the players are about pushing each other also, Doug, Jermaine, Russell will be examples and will extend themselves I will venture to say, they all know what we need in the running game to excel in the passing game.

I am sure Cable is going to try to get a Beast and football face on him also, laying guys out versus getting laid out mentality, this is also where I think Reese would be golden in his ability to mentor work with Lacy, god I hope they sign him back.

With how much Reese showed last year I would think that we would / will make him a decent offer. He has potential to do more for the team than Lacy if Lacy sides with "China Food" for the season.

http://247sports.com/Bolt/Someone-retweeted-every-Eddie-Lacy-tweet-about-food-42900671

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Lil_Eazy_Ana_42/status/88376330105794561[/tweet]

Uncle Si

Reaction score
This is a tweet from 2011... with no context outside being hungry (which people can be, I'm told)

You've made your point. You think he could be a detriment if overweight. Anything relevant to that or do you want to show us his baby pictures as well.

Seymour

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2momq53n said:
This is a tweet from 2011... with no context outside being hungry (which people can be, I'm told)

You've made your point. You think he could be a detriment if overweight. Anything relevant to that or do you want to show us his baby pictures as well.

Not just me, but the majority of observers of the game know this. There is no "fat joke", are you going to attempt to micro manage every post about his weight and past history?

Come on. Lacy and his weight is a well known discussion that is going to follow him here. His success depends on it, like it or not. It's in his dang contract!!

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Tical21":109gwlmu said:

Yup lets all continue to believe the Packers beatwriter, who won't even at least name the team, very vague, really.

Yet, no one else is coming out with this, not in Minny or Seattle.

Everyone is just citing McGinn. It's hilarious how much "weight" any media reporter can just get by publishing hearsay and citing anonymous sources.

If anything we need to take any initial flash reporting with a mine of salt. One guy saying something is questionable, multiple sources vetting the topic is more believable. Have yet to see that about that 267.