RB keepers my thoughts after 3 games

crosfam

Reaction score
I like Pope- hopefully we can stash him on the practice squad, because there is to much invested-in youth on our team already. Kick/Punt returner? I'd like to save Lockett for WR and not run him out there before every kick.

Brooks is a PS candidate - has not justified a roster spot. Maybe with some more time he can do more. in the same boat as Pope.

Farmer - I would love to keep him due to versatility - but he might be an outright cut. Good player without a position. lots of hustle and effort, and obvious athletic ability. Would probably be good ST performer. Will probably play for another team if cut.

Collins: Makes the team mostly because he is a higher draft pick and has potential. He would not stay on our PS - somebody else would try him out. He could be very good but needs more time to develop, IMHO.

Prosise: I think this guy is going to be special, 3rd down back for now. My adopt-a-rookie.

Michael: Earned the #2 spot, and maybe plays more as a committee with Rawls.

Rawls: Starter - please stay healthy.

I can see plenty of our PS guys getting signed away.

OP
OP
chris98251

chris98251

Reaction score
crosfam":10r2hdkt said:
I like Pope- hopefully we can stash him on the practice squad, because there is to much invested-in youth on our team already. Kick/Punt returner? I'd like to save Lockett for WR and not run him out there before every kick.

Brooks is a PS candidate - has not justified a roster spot. Maybe with some more time he can do more. in the same boat as Pope.

Farmer - I would love to keep him due to versatility - but he might be an outright cut. Good player without a position. lots of hustle and effort, and obvious athletic ability. Would probably be good ST performer. Will probably play for another team if cut.

Collins: Makes the team mostly because he is a higher draft pick and has potential. He would not stay on our PS - somebody else would try him out. He could be very good but needs more time to develop, IMHO.

Prosise: I think this guy is going to be special, 3rd down back for now. My adopt-a-rookie.

Michael: Earned the #2 spot, and maybe plays more as a committee with Rawls.

Rawls: Starter - please stay healthy.

I can see plenty of our PS guys getting signed away.

Collins was a 5th rounder, we have cut picks here and earlier before.

kearly

Reaction score
Rawls

Rawls was Football Outsiders' #1 RB last year by success rate. He's not going anywhere.

C-Mike

Primary backup, will substitute on some series. We don't have to panic about Rawls getting injured anymore.

Procise

Not as fast as I'd hoped, but plays with good balance and strength. He has better instincts than I expected. Runs a little sloppy but he has that gyroscope gene. Not much of a tackle breaker but he's good at twisting and falling for extra yards. A bit like a RB version of Golden Tate. Procise weighs more than Collins does, yet looks so much smaller and quicker.

Truck-a-foo

The starting FB.

Pope

I think he's worth a roster spot for Seattle, but I'm guessing Collins will get the nod instead. Decent chance Pope will land somewhere. Teams always keep a close eye on Seattle's cuts.

Collins

I think he'll kill it in game four now that his burst is back. He's a blend of Turbin and Lacy and doesn't seem like a great fit for Cable to me. But his size plus burst will entice Seattle enough to keep him I think.

Farmer

After a rough first couple of runs, Farmer has looked like the best size + speed back on the team. He's listed the same exact size as Procise, but he just seems to fill out those pads so much better somehow. I think Farmer would have made last year's 53.

Brooks

He doesn't really look like an NFL RB, and at his size I would never expect him to pass block well enough to justify a 3rd down back role. I think he's worth keeping around as a WR conversion project on the PS, but if Seattle cuts him loose it's hardly a tragedy.

Fade

Reaction score
Let's just keep it simple.

It's Pope vs. Collins.

Tune in Thursday Night to see who wins.

Rawls
C-Mike
Prosise
Truk-a-fu

Are already on this team.

crosfam

Reaction score
chris98251":2919t8v7 said:

I think maybe a consideration is who is most likely to stay on the PS and not get signed away. A 2016 fifth rounder will get calls - while Pope may sneak onto the PS and be a threat to make the team next year, after the RB situation dust has settled. Of course, injuries will play a factor, just ask Michael.

dogorama

Reaction score
crosfam":66i164fq said:
chris98251":66i164fq said:

I think maybe a consideration is who is most likely to stay on the PS and not get signed away. A 2016 fifth rounder will get calls - while Pope may sneak onto the PS and be a threat to make the team next year, after the RB situation dust has settled. Of course, injuries will play a factor, just ask Michael.

I think you have hit upon how the decision making process may play out. They want to keep them both, but how do you do it?

OP
OP
chris98251

chris98251

Reaction score
Redskins need Running backs, Eagles need Running backs, Chargers just lost another Running back, the problem is they have shown production no matter what team they are playing and what string they are playing with. I fear we will lose some this season because of other teams needs.

ACFan

Reaction score
It may just be my AC colored glasses I wear, but I really think AC made the team in camp, he got a lot of work then, and I think he showed enough against a good defense to convince coaches he's a keeper. just my opinion, or guess.

What I've wanted to see is him be evaluated, not just to make the team or not, but to show and prove he can be a real contributor in '16 coming off the bench, he's hardly had a chance at that with the TV cameras on, (beat up in camp, tweaked ankle?)

I don't know if he can show enough in the last game to be able to say that or not, but I'd like to see him 100% and get 8-10 carries in the first half.

True he fell to the 5th round, and that means he'll be handled as a 5th rounder for now, but I think the first 10 days of camp, he made a strong case for being a 5th round steal, a steal we won't just give back to the rest of the league. We'll see what happens.

HawkerD

Reaction score
King Dog":1fn8kjaj said:
Tical21":1fn8kjaj said:
Farmer definitely has that BJ Daniels, "find a way to keep him around" feel. If Rawls was a month further along, I would still be cutting Michael. The fact that we have no choice at this point but to keep him around is probably going to cost us a back that we will have to cut.
Put down the pipe - Michael has EARNED a spot on this roster.

:ditto:

nategreat

Reaction score
HawkerD":c5mzzpcu said:
King Dog":c5mzzpcu said:
Tical21":c5mzzpcu said:
Farmer definitely has that BJ Daniels, "find a way to keep him around" feel. If Rawls was a month further along, I would still be cutting Michael. The fact that we have no choice at this point but to keep him around is probably going to cost us a back that we will have to cut.

Tical21

Reaction score
HawkerD":x3n0xcvb said:
King Dog":x3n0xcvb said:
Tical21":x3n0xcvb said:

I agree, I guess. He's going to go positive and move the chains. He has gotten very good at finding the hole and holding onto the ball. He is one of the worst runners I've ever seen in the open field though. There isn't an upside to him, he just doesn't have natural innate big-time ability. I think I know what his top line is. He can help you have a decent running attack, but is never going to be considered a back that is capable of leading a dominant rushing attack. My curiosity about Collins outweighs my desire to keep C-Mike around.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
What in the entire hell is it with fans and their "feelings" in regards to football players?

Rawls, Michael, Prosise, Collins, and Tukuafu is a pretty safe bet though. Collins won't see the field, but he may get a chance as a short yardage guy at some point.

ACFan

Reaction score
vin.couve12":349aw4cx said:
What in the entire hell is it with fans and their "feelings" in regards to football players?

fans have always had favorite players, always will or the league is pretty much dead.

vin.couve12":349aw4cx said:
Collins won't see the field, but he may get a chance as a short yardage guy at some point.

that seems to be a contradiction.

I believe he will see the field, and more than just rare situations.

At least I'll feel that way until both Rawls proves he's 100% and C-Mike shows he can do more than make 10 yards when the line blows open a gaping hole.

Not to beat up on C-Mike, but I agree with the above poster's opinion for now. After all, we did go out and draft 3 RBs with him on the roster.

kearly

Reaction score
ACFan":1f18zu37 said:
It may just be my AC colored glasses I wear, but I really think AC made the team in camp, he got a lot of work then, and I think he showed enough against a good defense to convince coaches he's a keeper. just my opinion, or guess.

You can make the team in camp and lose your job in preseason, which Collins is in danger of doing. I think Collins will do well in the 4th preseason game and make it. But if he stinks, I'd be surprised if Seattle kept him.

kearly

Reaction score
Tical21":z3ka77ca said:
I agree, I guess. He's going to go positive and move the chains. He has gotten very good at finding the hole and holding onto the ball. He is one of the worst runners I've ever seen in the open field though. There isn't an upside to him, he just doesn't have natural innate big-time ability. I think I know what his top line is. He can help you have a decent running attack, but is never going to be considered a back that is capable of leading a dominant rushing attack. My curiosity about Collins outweighs my desire to keep C-Mike around.

Well we know that C-Mike can make the big play, in fact the rap on him in the past was that he was only looking for the big ones and didn't focus on the little things. Now he's 180 degrees the other way.

I also think his manic nature tends to make him an extreme RB one way or the other. Right now, he's extremely focused on executing his assignment and never fumbling. He's in full blown Turbin-mode, but with the kind of physical talent (and balance) that Turbin didn't have.

Part of me thinks that Turbin was such a vanilla runner because he was a 4th round pick coming from a very harsh background in his life, Turbin didn't care about making pro-bowls he just cared about lasting in the league as long as he possibly could to put food on the table for his family. It's not been a wholly unsuccessful philosophy, as Turbin still remains employed in the NFL. Now that Michael has had his NFL career near death experience, he's adopted that same "I'll do whatever it takes to stay in this league" mentality. Which means being a bit more of a vanilla runner and less of a risk taker.

For as good as Michael has been, I've criticized him for leaving yards on the field at times when he gets to the second level. He's clutching that ball with two arms which means no stiff arm and not as much resiliency/balance. He also settles for sure thing yardage when there is a chance to break it outside to the sideline and use that speed for a potential big gain. However, there is always the chance that Michael learns good protection without needing two arms, or that he gets less maniacal on his downhill approach and starts searching for the big play after hitting the 2nd level. It says a lot when a guy is rushing for over 6 yards per attempt this preseason and still has a lot of room for improvement.

I get why you and Scotte have been cool on C-Mike, and at some point in the past, the coaches felt similarly. That's not the case anymore, C-Mike has had his awakening and now the coaches have emphatically bought into him. No reason to live in the past anymore.

kearly

Reaction score
vin.couve12":p5yhi2p8 said:
Rawls, Michael, Prosise, Collins, and Tukuafu is a pretty safe bet though. Collins won't see the field, but he may get a chance as a short yardage guy at some point.

Collins has been significantly outplayed by Farmer and Pope. In fact, Farmer has been seeing reps sooner in games than Collins has.

I think it is very much a three way race between those guys at this point. I think Collins will have a nice 4th preseason game and seal the deal now that his burst is back. But if he doesn't, it's hard to cut Farmer and Pope for a struggling 5th RB. Farmer and Pope both look like NFL players.

Tical21

Reaction score
kearly":319vvd45 said:
Tical21":319vvd45 said:

I get why you and Scotte have been cool on C-Mike, and at some point in the past, the coaches felt similarly. That's not the case anymore, C-Mike has had his awakening and now the coaches have emphatically bought into him. No reason to live in the past anymore.
I was actually the most ardent of C-Mike supporters you could find, up until that CB threw him to the ground on a play that should have gone for 20. Now he is so happy to get through the line that he starts going down before contact. Watch his preseason runs again. NFL.com has a little clip of his runs if you can find it. He literally starts heading to the ground once the safety starts closing in on him. One of these days he is going to hit the ground untouched. I've never seen anything like it. That's not a RB that will ever lead the league's best rushing offense. As much as he wants it, and as hard as he is going to try, it is never going to come together. Since he is a backup, I'd rather use that spot on somebody whose ceiling we haven't seen yet.