RB keepers my thoughts after 3 games

dogorama

Reaction score
Tical21":22gf0avf said:
kearly":22gf0avf said:
Tical21":22gf0avf said:
I agree, I guess. He's going to go positive and move the chains. He has gotten very good at finding the hole and holding onto the ball. He is one of the worst runners I've ever seen in the open field though. There isn't an upside to him, he just doesn't have natural innate big-time ability. I think I know what his top line is. He can help you have a decent running attack, but is never going to be considered a back that is capable of leading a dominant rushing attack. My curiosity about Collins outweighs my desire to keep C-Mike around.

I get why you and Scotte have been cool on C-Mike, and at some point in the past, the coaches felt similarly. That's not the case anymore, C-Mike has had his awakening and now the coaches have emphatically bought into him. No reason to live in the past anymore.
I was actually the most ardent of C-Mike supporters you could find, up until that CB threw him to the ground on a play that should have gone for 20. Now he is so happy to get through the line that he starts going down before contact. Watch his preseason runs again. NFL.com has a little clip of his runs if you can find it. He literally starts heading to the ground once the safety starts closing in on him. One of these days he is going to hit the ground untouched. I've never seen anything like it. That's not a RB that will ever lead the league's best rushing offense. As much as he wants it, and as hard as he is going to try, it is never going to come together. Since he is a backup, I'd rather use that spot on somebody whose ceiling we haven't seen yet.

I think we have talked about this a bit here, the emphasis on protecting the ball has been so hammered into his head that when he wraps it up he drops his shoulders in the process and the momentum takes him down. He's running low and hitting the hole very fast, that's a good thing, but he needs to correct the finish. I am sure they are working on it.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Tical21":7pem5ehs said:
That's not a RB that will ever lead the league's best rushing offense. As much as he wants it, and as hard as he is going to try, it is never going to come together. Since he is a backup, I'd rather use that spot on somebody whose ceiling we haven't seen yet.

So many flaws with this.

1. Not being the league's best rusher is no reason to cut a guy.

2. Using absolutes is a good way to get yourself in trouble (e.g. getting your post bookmarked for future reference)

3. You don't use roster spots to judge at this point in the preseason. Michael's proven more than anyone else, and a lack of chance to play doesn't guarantee production.

dogorama

Reaction score
Tical21":2q1bxbwi said:
kearly":2q1bxbwi said:
Tical21":2q1bxbwi said:
I agree, I guess. He's going to go positive and move the chains. He has gotten very good at finding the hole and holding onto the ball. He is one of the worst runners I've ever seen in the open field though. There isn't an upside to him, he just doesn't have natural innate big-time ability. I think I know what his top line is. He can help you have a decent running attack, but is never going to be considered a back that is capable of leading a dominant rushing attack. My curiosity about Collins outweighs my desire to keep C-Mike around.

I get why you and Scotte have been cool on C-Mike, and at some point in the past, the coaches felt similarly. That's not the case anymore, C-Mike has had his awakening and now the coaches have emphatically bought into him. No reason to live in the past anymore.
I was actually the most ardent of C-Mike supporters you could find, up until that CB threw him to the ground on a play that should have gone for 20. Now he is so happy to get through the line that he starts going down before contact. Watch his preseason runs again. NFL.com has a little clip of his runs if you can find it. He literally starts heading to the ground once the safety starts closing in on him. One of these days he is going to hit the ground untouched. I've never seen anything like it. That's not a RB that will ever lead the league's best rushing offense. As much as he wants it, and as hard as he is going to try, it is never going to come together. Since he is a backup, I'd rather use that spot on somebody whose ceiling we haven't seen yet.

I think we have talked about this a bit here, the emphasis on protecting the ball has been so hammered into his head that when he wraps it up he drops his shoulders in the process and the momentum takes him down. He's running low and hitting the hole very fast, that's a good thing, but he needs to correct the finish. I am sure they are working on it.

stack600

Reaction score
I went back and watched the ends of C Mikes runs. He may be hitting the ground a bit early, but 1st it's preseason and possibly a career decision . And it still don't resemble Shaun Alexander at the end of his career . I will wait and see how he finshes his carries once it counts .

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The greatest value for me in C-Mike is short yardage.

He hits the hole fast and he finds it fast.

3rd and short has killed us, or it sure seems like it.

I tell you now that I have a lot more confidence that if everyone knows it is a run and we need 1-2 yards, C-Mike will get that before Collins. If we can regularly convert 3rd and short (especially with the threat of the read option), I will be ecstatic and C-Mike will earn his place.

I will start calling him C-Mike Run because he is getting big chunks of yards even against the 1s.

Not sure about the love for Procise, because maybe he turns into a much worse Jon L. Williams (which would be awesome) but one run for 10 when we needed 20 and nobody on the defense even cared if he got 15 isn't really selling me on the guy. Maybe I missed the other stuff he did, but other than some unbalanced college tape I am not sure what the sell is.

I would love to see Pope against the 1s at least a few times. Quickness, change of direction and that kind of vision/balance usually isn't something that changes with the caliber of defender. It feels like letting him go is going to be like when we let Forsett go. Sure we had some good RBs in the stable, but football is a physical game and you quickly find out (like last year) that you better have quality backups too.

Pope doesn't look like a #1 back but he sure looks like he can play with the rest of them.

Tical21

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":op6vp99x said:
Tical21":op6vp99x said:
That's not a RB that will ever lead the league's best rushing offense. As much as he wants it, and as hard as he is going to try, it is never going to come together. Since he is a backup, I'd rather use that spot on somebody whose ceiling we haven't seen yet.

So many flaws with this.

1. Not being the league's best rusher is no reason to cut a guy.

2. Using absolutes is a good way to get yourself in trouble (e.g. getting your post bookmarked for future reference)

3. You don't use roster spots to judge at this point in the preseason. Michael's proven more than anyone else, and a lack of chance to play doesn't guarantee production.

1. Never said he had to be, just that he had to contribute to the league's best rushing offense, which we want to have. If he is playing a lot of games for you, you're not going to be that.

2. It is also a good way to be right. Have an opinion already, Sally.

3. No, but it does guarantee that you haven't seen the ceiling yet, which is the only point I was making.

Let's hope he doesn't need to get extended playing time during the regular season, but if he does, you're going to see.

Sterling Archer

Reaction score
We already saw Michael at the end of last season and he was pretty average. I feel like he's improved from then however and seems to be hitting the hole faster. I agree that he is leaving a LOT of yards on the field right now, but I hope that they are working with him on that and he can correct that issue.

Ultimately I think he's a pretty solid #2 and there is no question that he will make the team and that he should. No other RB on our roster has shown the ability to handle that role IMO. Farmer and Pope are both untested and have only been playing against backups on the other team.

BWRyan

Reaction score
I don't have an opinion on the entire RB roster, but I will say I really like Pope. Reminds me of Justin Forsett, who ended up being a very good 3rd down back for us and eventually a very productive starter with Baltimore. (No idea where he's at now.)