RB movements and adjustments under Schottenheimer and Solari

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Odd how much this kid reminds me of Mike Davis. He's a slasher with some balance on contact. Lots of teams will probably notice him scouting Shaquem Griffin. Probably another UDFA candidate in this deep draft through.

[youtube]HANzZ_wh0es[/youtube]

12forlife

Reaction score
So I'm not 100% sure what type of RB Shotts/Solari prefer, but I agree when healthy Carson is our #1 back. and we keep Davis & Mckissic in the stable. I'm done with Prosise, dude has loads of talent, but he is no where near dependable, and we can't rely on him being there for a deep playoff run. I imagine the draft will be no different then most every year and we trade down to recoup that 2nd & 3rd rd pick, which is fine by me cause I don't think Guice is a 1st rd talent, like Barkley (please don't end up in SF) which would give every team in our division ridiculous RB talents! I'm sure PC/JS will have their targets, if they go RB 2nd/3rd rd I like Penny or Freeman paired with Carson a lot, let Carson bust them in the mouth, and wear the Dline down the 1st half with either Penny or Freeman running loose the 2nd half to close out games. I also like Ballage but he is very similar to Carson imo. depending what happens with trade downs, I could see us going Dline/Oline in the 2nd, and with this draft class being loaded with RB talent snagging their guy 3rd-5th rd. I expect good things this year, Bevell & Cable were terrible for long time, I don't believe I'm alone when I say Lynch in his prime covered a lot of their inefficiencies for years, and between Bevell's horrible play calling can't even figure out how to use a mismatch monster like Graham or know what frickin screen pass is to utilize the center of the field, and yes I realize Wilson's height effects that some, but Cable also never truly finding any OL studs (so many wasted draft picks) and trying to convert Dlinemen to Olinemen or basketball players to starting LT cost us dearly when we making SB runs, so I'm beyond thrilled they are gone!

Vesuve

Reaction score
austinslater25":2chm0boy said:
Prosise is going to have a huge role IF he can stay healthy.

If...... They need to move on from Prosise.

chris98251

Reaction score
Vesuve":2klwsjel said:
austinslater25":2klwsjel said:
Prosise is going to have a huge role IF he can stay healthy.

If...... They need to move on from Prosise.

They need to move him to receiver and be done with it.

chris98251

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":32xbzcwf said:
If Carson is our #1 RB next year we are at best an 8 win team.

Well since your predictions are normally wrong we can expect a great season then :)

original poster

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":7ktj2u56 said:

I don't believe for a second he will be, personally. 1B maybe, but not #1.

12forlife

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":2fz081ta said:

You are going to have to explain how you come up with that number of wins if Carson is our lead RB? First off Carson was just starting to show his worth when he was finally getting a solid volume of runs per game, after Pete finally figured out he was our guy, and Lacey & Rawls were not productive, he then went down to injury. If Carson comes back healthy, we keep Davis in the stable, and we draft a solid prospect to push the competition then that is not the reason we go 8-8. Our success next season will greatly depend on if Solari can fix the mess of an OL Cable created, and how Sherman comes back from injury, and if we are able to fill the gapping holes left by Chancellor & Avril. Love the of the off the cuff comment though.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
We could draft any back in this draft not named Barkley, and Carson will still start. Even if we got Michel he's still going to be the guy. Carson does everything right...to the letter. We had left him to pass block even high profile DEs one on one and he does as well as an OL. He's an insanely good pass blocker and that can't be understated.

It's not as if he's just some try hard do right player though. His explosion index is top notch in terms of vert and long jump as well as being strong as an ox. His 40 of 4.58 isn't burner status, but it's better than Davis, Mckissic, and Rawls who are all in the 4.6s. Only Prosise is sub 4.5. Pre-draft, I was lookinh for a bruiser RB and Carson stuck out like a sore thumb because of his high SPARQ score that was nearly as good as Kamara, which is saying something. The only thing Carson didn't have was bigtime college production due to a broken thumb carpal as a senior.

We could sign Hyde and Carson will still start. We could draft Michel or Jones and Carson will still start. Carson has high efficiency in all 3 facets of being a running back and doesn't fumble.

You might ask why we need another back? But the easy answer is we need two for redundancy.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Saw that. I wonder if he would take a #2 role and severe paycut to return home (Lacey, WA).

Always liked him.

Of course, Freeman in the draft is a lot like him, albeit a little less polished as a pure runner.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I didn't know he was from Lacey, I always thought he was from a military family out of Fort Lewis :)
I wonder if he went to North Thurston? I lived down in Lacey for a few years at middle school.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Timberline High is what it looks like. That area produced a lot of good running backs. Tumwater always seemed to have some really fast SOBs in the mid 90s.

12forlife

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3owkifae said:
Fort Lewis' own Jonathon Stewart is now available. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... an-stewart

Egh I don't think Stewart offers us anything we don't already have in Carson & Davis. I really hope we recover some draft picks and are able to pickup another stud in the 3rd-5th rd. Draft or FA either way they atleast add one more RB for depth & competition. Really liking the idea of either Penny or Freeman combined with Carson as a 1/2 punch!

12forlife

Reaction score
vin.couve12":2fy3it1x said:
Yeah I don't think we go with any free agents this year and that probably includes Davis, but maybe not.

Really? Imo I thought Davis was solid, and should be cheap. He would provide great competition to push whatever rookie they bring in?
I was a huge fan of when Pete took over and had ComPete Wednsday and you actually had to earn PT. Was fun to watch on Sunday's when guys were playing like they had a hot poker up their back side. If you missed block or tackle, or fumbled it was next man up.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
They need to be picky about free agency. Not only do they have very little cap, but they can lose some of their comp picks in 2019. Clayton talks about it all the time.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
12forlife":3ipc119i said:
vin.couve12":3ipc119i said:
Yeah I don't think we go with any free agents this year and that probably includes Davis, but maybe not.

Really? Imo I thought Davis was solid, and should be cheap. He would provide great competition to push whatever rookie they bring in?
I was a huge fan of when Pete took over and had ComPete Wednsday and you actually had to earn PT. Was fun to watch on Sunday's when guys were playing like they had a hot poker up their back side. If you missed block or tackle, or fumbled it was next man up.
I like Davis too. He's apparently hitting the weights really hard already, which Carson commented about, and Davis replied something to the effect that they could both look big and physical next year. Almost ad if he's coming back.

The reason why I say that he might not is that he would cost roughly 2 million to retain him unless they let him hit FA.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/new ... surements/

Some REALLY interesting measurements at the combine.

Barkley came in at 233 and Guice at 224. Both put on a lot of weight. Michel dropped weight, Penny was exactly as advertised. John Kelly was at 216, which is intriguing. Ballage was shorter than expected.

All around just some interesting stuff here. How much will added or dropped weight affect how they run? We'll see.