Read Option - can it be sustained?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
The read option is a changeup, is what I am saying. And passing from it is a changeup to a changeup.

I think the Giants called that blitz to make Russell keep the ball, with a LB waiting on the edge to get after him. The interception was gravy.

Can it be sustained? Of course it can, as long as Russ is a viable running threat. Tannehill isn't particularly elusive, and slower than Russ, and he is making hay with the RO.

But there are ways to attack it. And I think the word is out, put a square one on Russ, and his playcaller will shrink back from that changeup for the rest of the game. There have been a number of games where after a hard hit, most of the read options become dummies, Russ hands it off no matter what the DE is doing. Pete confirmed last year that read option look, with no threat of Russ running was part of what they do.

And I think that is what that playcall was. The Giants attacked the look hoping Russ would take it, they could hit him, and it would come off the playsheet for a while.

Sidebar: no hot route to counter that blitz.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I wish this offense was good enough not to break the read option out until the opposition was looking gassed. Russ and the RO has been lethal late in games.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Word.

I look at the RO as the Hawks hurry up. Alot of teams go hurry up sporadically, just as the Hawks go RO.

They need to augment it though. I liked the Heavy look with Gilliam at HBack.

The Hawks offense won't ever be good at passing in 2014. So, they need to get really good at something, and this is it.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3kddt5dr said:
I wish this offense was good enough not to break the read option out until the opposition was looking gassed. Russ and the RO has been lethal late in games.

It's beneficial at all times of the game.

Sure it works late when the defense is susceptible and tired, but it also works good early in games because it sets other things up.

How many times has Russell ran the RO, then pulled the ball back, dropped back and made a big throw? That works because we've run the RO 3-4 times throughout the game so the defense is keyed at stopping it.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
pehawk":wzhqd77y said:
Word.

I look at the RO as the Hawks hurry up. Alot of teams go hurry up sporadically, just as the Hawks go RO.

They need to augment it though. I liked the Heavy look with Gilliam at HBack.

The Hawks offense won't ever be good at passing in 2014. So, they need to get really good at something, and this is it.
Gilliam was on the field a lot last week, and I bet he is again this week.

He is going to get a TD one of these days.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
pehawk":16hdds9x said:
It's been clear to me for a few weeks the current incarnation of the Seahawks cant operate without the read-option sprinkled in.

My guess would be the read option keeps defenses honest and from exploiting size advantages at WR as well sporadic Oline play. It's especially huge with Miller out of there, because I think the TE in this offense dictates the passing game. And, without a TE, any semblance of a normal passing attack is out the window. It gives a defense one more thing to think about on passing downs as well (and this Oline will forever need an advantage in pass protection).

The down side is it does effect Wilson's accuracy via fatigue. RB's get to come take a breather after running the ball...not Wilson. He has to get right back under center and do it again. I saw a thread about whether his running effects his accuracy; of course it does! There's an Olympic event based solely on extreme cardio and accuracy (winter biathlon).

With this offense, without Zach nor legit WR threats, I think the good outweighs the bad. While it's different than Lynch's punishing style, having Wilson keep the ball contributes to the physical toll on a defense. Psychologically, it may do more damage than anything Lynch can do.

My question is the RO a sustainable offense for this team through out the year?

I think it is, because of Wilson's intellect. I also like the possibilities out of that look. You give Michael some run on a series where the RO is working, he'll bust 1 out of every 6 or 7 runs for an explosive play. Speed would dominate the cutback lanes.
The RO opens up the middle for Lynch, when they have to defend the edges so forthrightly. Seattle's whole running game feeds itself--take one piece out, the whole thing collapses. You have to have a legit passing threat to make it work, or the d would just suck up on the line of scrimmage. That's why Miller hurts--maybe worse than Bane.

seedhawk

Reaction score
What the RO actually does is force the D to play our skill guys 1 on 1.

lobohawk

Reaction score
Kind of wish they had more passing out of the read-option. Maybe some short stuff, as all the LBs try to play the run.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Watching that first interception you can see two things. The throw was off, but no by much. Just another two feet towards the side line and it's at least not an interception and likely a catch. You can also clearly see Baldwin running wide open in the middle of the field. OMG what if... Game of futbol is full of them. I think the Kearse miss is the worst pass he's thrown in the 3 years we've had the privilege of watching him. I'm ok with that. So wide open. OMG what if...

RW will be fine as soon as he can shake the image of Tate doing his wife...ex wife. Very curious the timing of all that. Hmmm?

SC

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Cartire":20lgm4qz said:
Ive heard the same thing since we started running it in 2012. It is sustainable? This is our third season running it. And were not the only team that does. Hell, even Miami has been running it lately. Its just as legitiment as the play-action pass. It just requires that you have a smart QB with good running skills.

A good defense playing good assignment football can counter it, but that still requires a single defender winning the matchup against the QB if he keeps it. We all saw against the Giants a few times where the defender was in perfect position to contain Wilson, and Wilson still made him miss.

Until its no longer effective (which I dont think will happen), we keep using it. It may not work every time (like every play in the NFL), but it works more times then it doesnt and keeps defenses confused.
"Bingo" :thirishdrinkers:

Vetamur

Reaction score
Different teams play it differently. It seems the Seahawks scout effectively.. you can see game plans where they have confidence they can run it.. other teams they barely even bother.

Vs. The Chiefs I think we will see it quite a bit, I dont think they have much experience playing RO teams.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Vetamur":39vk5tjm said:
Vs. The Chiefs I think we will see it quite a bit, I dont think they have much experience playing RO teams.

They don't, but their D-line is their most talented unit so it's not going to be like last week.

Like I said, Russell's going to have to be on it big time for us to win tomorrow. Can't afford to lose the turnover and field position battle.

Vetamur

Reaction score
Pretty sure we cant win tomorrow no matter what. Tomorrow is Saturday.

Their D line is talented, but they allow 4.2 yards per rush. And its not about pure talent..if they decide to have the DE crash down every time to stop Lynch, then their will be opportunities. I suspect they will put a safety in the box as well which could also give opportunities if they are overly concerned with stopping Lynch.

The Chiefs are a good team but I think I like this match up.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Vetamur":331ckyd2 said:

Their D line is talented, but they allow 4.2 yards per rush. And its not about pure talent..if they decide to have the DE crash down every time to stop Lynch, then their will be opportunities. I suspect they will put a safety in the box as well which could also give opportunities if they are overly concerned with stopping Lynch.

The Chiefs are a good team but I think I like this match up.

Agreed. The RO can nullify a great pass rush.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Vetamur":nzclqyll said:

My fear is that teams with really good ends and outside LB's make it next to impossible for us to run the RO.......and KC has that with Houston and Hali. Guys that creep down, seal off the edges and beat up our TE's........which will be especially easy without Miller.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":295urd0i said:
Vetamur":295urd0i said:

My fear is that teams with really good ends and outside LB's make it next to impossible for us to run the RO.......and KC has that with Houston and Hali. Guys that creep down, seal off the edges and beat up our TE's........which will be especially easy without Miller.

That's valid. My hope is the RO slows their DE's a step when the Seahawks pass. It usually does...Wilson needs to convert. They need to find the right balance of RW running just enough to NOT effect his throwing.

Vetamur

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":21a4nka3 said:
Vetamur":21a4nka3 said:

Possibly..I suppose we wont know til Sunday. But if their ends stay absolutely at home to cover the RO then we should be able to over match them with runs to Lynch. Im also not entirely convinced Houston is great against the run. He has 12 sacks (!) already, a stunning number.. but he never has even average number of tackles for his position outside of the sacks. He averages about 3 tackles a game.

Defending the RO is more a question of discipline, scheme and experience than just talent. Teams which arent used to it often get run wild on without it.

Im not saying it will be easy by any means. But the Chiefs dont have a great run defense, period. And to make up for that I believe they will need to over compensate against conventional runs or risk being gashed by Lynch all day. Our strength matches up well against their weakness and they will have to do something about it.

On the opposite side of the ball , and this really should be a different thread.. they arent a down field throwing team. They are a perimeter running and throwing team which again I think plays pretty well to our strengths. Charles isnt going to run it down our throat.He is an edge rusher, and if they want to do that and their short passes against us Im happy. Smith will likely complete 65% of his passes this game, but for about an average of 6 or 7 yards a completion.

17 or 20-14..

Largent80

Reaction score
I am quite sure KC's DC looked at our Giant film and threw up.

If they aren't diciplined in pursuit a very similar game is in order.

We got NY's defense totally flowing away from where the ball ended up going, usually creating a one on one.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Vetamur":3ldlvf2y said:
Sgt. Largent":3ldlvf2y said:
Vetamur":3ldlvf2y said:

Possibly..I suppose we wont know til Sunday. But if their ends stay absolutely at home to cover the RO then we should be able to over match them with runs to Lynch. Im also not entirely convinced Houston is great against the run. He has 12 sacks (!) already, a stunning number.. but he never has even average number of tackles for his position outside of the sacks. He averages about 3 tackles a game..

Who are the teams that shut down our RO?

Rams, SF, Arizona, and up until this year Carolina. What do all those teams have in common? Very good front sevens.........and KC has a good front seven. Rangy fast athletic LB's and DE's that can pack the box and cover ground.

I just don't like this matchup for the RO, IMO Russell's going to have to throw the ball REALLY well this weekend for us to win, cause KC's schemes are going to be 100% pack the box and stop the RO and Lynch.

Largent80

Reaction score
If we can complete a couple passes from the RO, KC is hosed. Amazing that they haven't given up a rushing TD but allow over 100 per game on the ground.

Teams have made the mistake of trying to pass for td's, and they defend the pass well.